• Announcements

• Moderator Applications Open!   05/20/17

Hi everyone! We're looking to expand our moderation team. See this thread for the link if you are interested. Thanks!

Yumi King

7949 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Yumi King is a 20 year old Youtube Lolita made famous by her DIY's who live/studies in the US (originally from china). Although her dress making talent is undeniable her designs can be a bit... Ita (google lolita ita if you are not familiar with the term) and sometimes become tacky with the amount of lace/ruffles. Personally I like most of her diy's but somtimes her diy's are too over the top and just plain tacky but she does seem like a very sweet girl.

Example of one of her good diy's:

Not so good videos:

some of her videos can be quite cringworthy

Added by BonBonChucked:

On 12/26/16 Yumi King had uploaded a video where she unwrapped presents. Later the video was deleted and reuploaded. The difference was a clip where she opens up panties from her boyfriend that say "fuck me" [image in spoiler]. Yumi's naive persona is diminishing with the presence of this gift. It also elaborates the relationship with her boyfriend. We can only speculate that this clip was deleted to keep up her persona of being an innocent little girl.

16718p0.png

Edited by BonBonChucked

Posted

can you specify what do you mean by cringeworthy? Like craftmanship wise or? Because as far as I can see, the Miku one imo isn't a flop, it's just not 100% accurate (and the material is pretty shiny, but a lot of Miku cosplays are). Same w/ the cat lingerie; it's actually pretty helpful because I've been seeing those sets around and obviously they're not plus size friendly 

Posted (edited)

Lol /cgl/ HATES her. I don't have anything against her personality but her craftsmanship isn't good, everything is made of really low quality materials, and she only uses the same very basic sewing techniques over and over again. She doesn't really have a grasp of what lolita is either. Her "lolita" dresses are just short dresses with tons of ruffles, bows, and polyester lace.

That being said, I do understand why she's so popular. Her tutorials are easy to follow, can be made using cheaply, and can be completed very quickly despite that some come out looking sloppy or won't be durable later on. There's a lot of better sewing tutorials out there though.

Edited by AnzuTakamaki

Posted

Personally what I don't like about her.. aside from how she goes about creating clothing and the like .. is how she doesn't properly perform/carry out necessary techniques like top stitching or hemming everything.... and that she decides her craftsmanship is good enough to make videos on how to teach others how to make clothes. Also not mentioning how she has several offenses of hot glues stuff to her outfits...and on several of her profile descriptions she calls herself a "fashion designer" and a "costume designer" and also a "photographer" when her designs themselves are pretty ehh and her craftsmanship is kinda discomforting... and takes 90% selfies... ((I guess I mostly just agree with anzu on this one LOL)) but also.. She reminds me a little of dolldelight if I think about it some more...? Shoddy craftsmanship, iffy lolita designs, and a following that believes they're right because it's the internet.

Posted

+PurinPrincess  i mean't how she poses and stuff and the miku dress materia is too costumy (like cheap supermarket halloween costume)

Posted

I like Yumi. :alpacawink: Even though she does some mistakes (trashy fabrics and sewing technics) or part of lolita dresses look exactly how lolita dresses shouldn't (lolita fashion has pretty detailed rules) she's got nice personality and her tutorials aren't really hard or complicated. Cosplay/sewing beginners don't get confused when they watch her videos.

Posted

Now i wanna do kawaii stuff too D:

Posted

She kinda reminds me of Venus :Alpacaconfused: The whole "wide face, full cheeks, lolita dresses, dolly makeup and circle lenses" thing :lamaheadshake: But other than that she seems like a very lovely and likable person ^_^

Posted

I love her! she does seem very lovely and likeable and i look up to her. i was born male but identify as female for the most part (leans more towards female spectrum ya know~) and her clothes is so cute! i've recently been learning to sew and while it's basic, it does help! i've looked up techniques for hemming and all that stuff but i do like her videos! very easy to follow and ive been subbed to her for a while :)

Posted (edited)

Screen_Shot_2015-09-16_at_10.49.57_PM.th

she calls her life "real life anime" now? she's so weeby i have a hard time believing that she's really older than 15 years old.

not related but she's making more panties videos now... (dat voice lol)

Edited by AnzuTakamaki
it didn't add the link for some reason

Posted

I do like her but it kinda bugs me how short her lolita skirts are and sometimes she can get a bit ott 

Posted

I will never understand how she gets her rolled hems even mildly consistent ( I took a sewing class and never learned how to do rolled hems, and I've tried and failed miserably :alpacaworry2:). @MarvelPanda I agree, her lolita skirts are quite short. I might have even thought about making one from her tutorial if the skirts were longer (I need some lolita-inspired plaid skirts anyway that meet the school dress code)

Posted

I never found her pretty, but she's nice and seems to listen to outfit requests her fans make. 

Posted

She looks too young to be showing her panties D :!