Most overrated/underrated singers?

27 posts in this topic

Posted

I'd love to hear your opinions on which singers are overrated/underrated please share them!

Posted

Beyonce is overrated, she's pretty and her voice is decent (standard pop tunes) but...I don't understand the "Queen" attribute placed on her by many people...

I think the band Within Temptation is underrated, especially back in the day when Evanescence was really popular many people would've liked WT. Now, they may have been popular but I was really young when that style of music was in and never really saw it, but I really enjoy their music to this day. 

Posted

Overrated: Almost every pop singer.

Underrated: Too many artists to count. Everyone who still works hard on their songs. 

Posted

Beyonce has a 4 octave vocal range and fights for civil rights so I have no complaints lol. 

I find Justin Beiber to be over rated his singing is very average and his behavior us disgusting. 

No really talks about Hailee that much even though she was in pitch perfect and "love myself" was pretty good. 

Posted

Selena Gomez is so overrated, her voice is very flat and has almost no range.

Ariana Grande is very overrated, yeah she may have range but that doesn't mean she sounds good. Not to mention her behaviour, ugh.

Melanie Martinez as well

I listen to a lot of underground music so I know they're underrated but I'm hoping they won't be sellouts

Posted

Oh my god I could write an essay on this!

Overrated: Miley Cyrus and pretty much anybody that came out of Disney, Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber, Rihanna, Ellie Goulding, most Kpop groups (Kpop fan here but, let's admit that the majority are no big deal), Melanie Martinez, Halsey, Pitbull, Nicki Minaj, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Avril Lavigne, many more.

Underrated: Xia Junsu, Wagakki band, Apocalyptica, HIM, Silver Ash, classical music in general (getting real tired of millenials not knowing who Rachmaninoff is...), etc. There are many artists I consider underrated but since they are not American/Canadian/English/whatever, I don't expect people to know about them.

Posted

Overrated: melanie martinez (I don't get what's so special on her and her tattos, the try-hard style and the weird videos makes me cringe very hard plus her voice is so weak), alissa white-gluz (the metal chick with blue hair, again don't see what's so good on her and don't get why so many bands have at least 1 song featuring her generic growling while there are tons of females that can do a lot better and don't act like they're special) and 90% of pop singers/groups in general and good part of k-groups 

underrated: kerli and many more but I don't really expect them to be very known since they are scandinavian  

Posted

Crush 40, Ashes Remain, Fort Minor, Saint Asonia, Dead By Sunrise, Julien-K, etc..

Posted

underrated: chvrches, hayley kiyoko, sabrina carpenter, nell, raspberry field, and some of my fav k-groups

Posted

Overrated: Twenty One Pilots. They haunt me every day. Their Blurryface album is okay but it's overplayed. Their music has changed so much since they first started and I didn't like it then either.

Melanie Martinez can go away too.

Posted

Overrated:

• Beyoncé - I mean she has a good voice and all, but people like to make out as though she is some kind of goddess who no one else is close to in terms of skill and looks which is beyond ridiculous to me.
  • Melanie Martinez - She seems to have gotten so popular and everyone keeps on going on about how unique and great she is. Personally I think her voice sounds super annoying and put on. She certainly isn't all that unique either so her and her fans kind of irritates me.
  • Katy Perry - People go on about how she has a strong voice etc and to me I can't bear listening to any of her songs without blocking my ears, honestly it just sounds like she's shouting in my opinion.
  • Ariana Grande - I do admit that she has an amazing vocal range, however in many of her songs I can't actually understand what she is saying because she seems to care more about trying to show off her range than anything else.

As for underrated I honestly can't think of any at the moment.

Posted

EDIT: I just noticed this list is all girls, lol. You can see where my priorities lie haha.

Overrated - depends on what you're looking at.

- Ariana Grande has so much potential for growth, but she has incredibly poor diction, meaning that a good 70% of the time its impossible to understand what she's singing. If she worked on that, coupled with her range, she could be an absolute gem to the music industry. However, with the way music is now, likely she doesn't have to work on that if she wants to continue to make money, so its unlikely that anything will change.

- Katy Perry has improved over the years, but compared to a lot of singers, she sucks. Katy is an example of a pretty face with very little talent as a performer. While she can put on a show, she often struggles to sing her songs, especially when they are coupled with dance routines. I love the style of a lot of her music but you have to admit that she's definitely not anything special vocally.

- Melanie Martinez... I just don't understand why she's popular. At all.

- Rihanna is somebody I saw live a few years ago and I had a good time due to knowing the lyrics and dancing, but she was SO FLAT. Seriously, almost every note was flat and it was awful. I like her attitude and I think she has earned her place in the industry, but her singing is definitely not as good as some suggest, no where near that in fact.

For K-POP (since I'm a fan):

- CL is awesome and I love her style, but she is definitely overrated. There are better singers, dancers and rappers. A lot of her fans consider her a queen in the k-pop industry when she is not. Also, a little off-topic, but can her management please take her away from the USA and bring her back to Korea? I miss 2NE1.

- Krystal is an idol I adore, but she can be overrated outside of the f(x) fandom. Most MeU's (f(x) fans) know that Krystal is possibly the 3rd or even 4th best vocalist in the group, but people outside of that seem to think she's the most talented member. Her voice is pretty unique, but Luna and Amber are MILES better than her in every way vocally.

Underrated

- Lady Gaga. Hear me out, I know she's very famous and well-known to a lot of people, but many miss out on her fantastic vocals and just look at her sex appeal and wacky concepts. Every performance that Gaga gives is laced with passion and usually her vocals are very stable. She has some great ballads that show off her voice without the crazy get-ups, such as You and I (and more recently, Million Reasons). I wish more people would give her voice a listen. The jazz album she did with Tony Bennett proves how fantastic her voice is!

- Soooooooo many others! I mentioned Lady Gaga because I'm a fan, but there are a lot of other singers/bands that are swept under the rug because they come from small management companies, or don't sell sex.

For K-Pop:

- Luna... LUNA... LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNA! Luna is so talented in all departments and her voice is a gem. Check out her performance of Sad Fate on Masked Singer to see part of her incredible range. I was so upset that her solo album didn't sell well and am definitely still salty about it to this day, haha!

- Spica as a group. Many people think of Mamamoo when they think of vocal groups, but let me tell you, Spica is up there too! Their harmonies are always fantastic and their songs in general are always good, even when they aren't the best. They are so powerful and they deserve more recognition for their vocals in the k-pop industry, one where generally vocalists aren't valued before visuals.

Posted (edited)

For General:

Overated: Meghan Trainor, Melanie Martinez and other "pastel Tumblr aesthetic" singers. A lot of pop idols in general. I can give leeway to Mealanie, but I can't stand Meghan. Maybe I'm just salty she won that Grammy a while ago lol

Underrated: Courtney Barrnet, she has somewhat of a deadpan voice but it fits the instrumental well. She's also quite humorous. And, hear me out, Reol. She's popular amongst Utaite and vocaloid fans, also osu players too, I just wish more people liked her like how they love big idol groups here in the west. Also that goes for giga-p he's got a great voice.

For vocaloid voicebanks:

overated: Miku obviously, I don't mind her though, it's just she's such a cash cow and clogs up the spotlight in project diva and concerts. I don't get the appeal of the Kagamines, ESPECIALLY Len, with his stupid-ass ponytail.

underrated: iroha gets a lot of this treatment, people say she sounds like len a lot. (She doesn't). Yukari is popular, but I want more songs with the Onn voicebank. Also, poor Chika and Sachiko. I like Chika, but she's so unpopular it's sad. And ive seen people call Sachiko a utau.......

:alpacadone:

Edited by Unfortunately, memes.

Posted

Overrated: Beyonce and Adele. B has good vocal skills but the voice and genre is not my thing. The lengths her fans are willing to go to defend her/her people stealing ideas and the harassment of people that dont worship her made me dislike her more. A doesnt sound very good either. I'll admit I've never heard Halsey but the way she uses her special ~identity~ to appeal to tumblr type fans is very annoying.

Underrated: Fiona Apple, Beck and Meshell Ndegeocello and many more!

Posted

Overrated: there were a lot of things that got popular in recent memory that...didn't exactly deserve it. ruth b, gnash, the chainsmokers, etc. like...i have nothing against pop stars like katy and ariana because it's their image that sells records, and they certainly know how to sell concepts. their music videos, songs, photoshoots, etc are always on point - they're the whole package, so it makes sense that they're so popular. whereas all these randoms that show up on the charts (ew, lukas graham) have little to no charisma and make mediocre songs. this isn't meant to bash indie artists, i'm just saying that to become popular in this industry you have to have great music and a compelling image, and there are a lot of mediocre acts that became famous last year with neither of those.

Underrated: MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS!!! i will never understand why halsey and melanie bested this goddess. she deserves fame. also, i'm really rooting for mitski to take the indie-princess crown. she has the talent.

(and ofc i have a list of all the more underground acts i like, but stuff like xiu xiu and AJJ will never become famous lol)