• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

Miley Cyrus

59 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

If anyone is interested in Viking (old Scandinavian) hairstyle/haircare I suggest you read this: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/hairstyl.shtml

No, they didn't dread their hair. No, their hair wasn't matted and nasty. They were quite a clean group of people.

(I can't say anything about other European cultures though)

There was an Arabic scholar named Ibn Fadlan that wrote about it too:

"Every day they must wash their faces and heads and this they do in the dirtiest and filthiest fashion possible: to wit, every morning a girl servant brings a great basin of water; she offers this to her master and he washes his hands and face and his hair -- he washes it and combs it out with a comb in the water; then he blows his nose and spits into the basin."

Braiding was a pretty popular form of maintenance as well

****Edit:

Ok so after a little bit of googling, I think I know where the "Celts dreaded their hair" idea comes from, which isn't entirely correct either. Basically, Roman sources say that the Celts would grease their hair and use chalk to "stiffen" it to try to frighten the enemy. (And please don't confuse or intermix Vikings and Celts together, they were two different cultures and people)

Here's a couple of sources:

https://books.google.co.kr/books?id=9Z6vCGbf66YC&pg=PA77&lpg=PA77&dq=Siculus++celts+hair+lime&source=bl&ots=YL5bvYjcud&sig=y2uGZRmj_g40JWHOf9qsWRsqkDw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZiKX3mrLPAhWEoZQKHRQqCJgQ6AEIGjAA#v=onepage&q=Siculus celts hair lime&f=false

https://books.google.co.kr/books?id=lQnqAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq=roman+rome+celts+hair+chalk&source=bl&ots=ULB1TgaWsb&sig=Uop5rwwnRjo6J_LaAcPW0LwXpJo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiyyuiUnLLPAhUIFJQKHQ75DD8Q6AEIKDAC#v=onepage&q=roman rome celts hair chalk&f=false

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~catshaman/22erils1/01Romans.htm  (just ctrl F "chalk")

So yea, close but no cigar

Edited by Athena

Posted

If anyone is interested in Viking (old Scandinavian) hairstyle/haircare I suggest you read this: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/hairstyl.shtml

No, they didn't dread their hair. No, their hair wasn't matted and nasty. They were quite a clean group of people.

(I can't say anything about other European cultures though)

There was an Arabic scholar named Ibn Fadlan that wrote about it too:

"Every day they must wash their faces and heads and this they do in the dirtiest and filthiest fashion possible: to wit, every morning a girl servant brings a great basin of water; she offers this to her master and he washes his hands and face and his hair -- he washes it and combs it out with a comb in the water; then he blows his nose and spits into the basin."

Braiding was a pretty popular form of maintenance as well

****Edit:

Ok so after a little bit of googling, I think I know where the "Celts dreaded their hair" idea comes from, which isn't entirely correct either. Basically, Roman sources say that the Celts would grease their hair and use chalk to "stiffen" it to try to frighten the enemy. (And please don't confuse or intermix Vikings and Celts together, they were two different cultures and people)

Here's a couple of sources:

https://books.google.co.kr/books?id=9Z6vCGbf66YC&pg=PA77&lpg=PA77&dq=Siculus++celts+hair+lime&source=bl&ots=YL5bvYjcud&sig=y2uGZRmj_g40JWHOf9qsWRsqkDw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZiKX3mrLPAhWEoZQKHRQqCJgQ6AEIGjAA#v=onepage&q=Siculus celts hair lime&f=false

https://books.google.co.kr/books?id=lQnqAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq=roman+rome+celts+hair+chalk&source=bl&ots=ULB1TgaWsb&sig=Uop5rwwnRjo6J_LaAcPW0LwXpJo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiyyuiUnLLPAhUIFJQKHQ75DD8Q6AEIKDAC#v=onepage&q=roman rome celts hair chalk&f=false

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~catshaman/22erils1/01Romans.htm  (just ctrl F "chalk")

So yea, close but no cigar

I dont know who you are talking to since you didn't qoute anyone but I've actually known this for a while.  I was just saying that they shouldn't blow off what the person said since both have been talked about.  I believe the matted part isn't saying ALL Vikings either but rather a hairstyle a select group of people have either way people are missing the point and are going super OT. 

Again Miley just uses Black culture as a prop and gets uncomfortable when people call her out for  it.  

Posted

If I could describe her with just one term, it'd probably be "nuisance". She's just kind of there, middling. Not really even shocking or relevant these days as much, now that her stint with the appropriation allegations and the awards shows has passed, she's just… there, imo

At least she finally grew out her damn hair. That pixie cut she had honestly looked like shit on her.

Posted

If I could describe her with just one term, it'd probably be "nuisance". She's just kind of there, middling. Not really even shocking or relevant these days as much, now that her stint with the appropriation allegations and the awards shows has passed, she's just… there, imo

At least she finally grew out her damn hair. That pixie cut she had honestly looked like shit on her.

I agree she looks horrible with super short hair.  Honestly most of the "Lenha Dunham" haircuts look terrible. 

Posted

I dont know who you are talking to since you didn't qoute anyone but I've actually known this for a while.  I was just saying that they shouldn't blow off what the person said since both have been talked about.  I believe the matted part isn't saying ALL Vikings either but rather a hairstyle a select group of people have either way people are missing the point and are going super OT. 

Again Miley just uses Black culture as a prop and gets uncomfortable when people call her out for  it.  

I guess I should've quoted but it was in response those on the previous page who were trying to defend white people dreads by misinformation of history and I thought I would actually link the sources so they'd think twice next time with throwing the loose sentence of "But vikings and celts had dreaded hair!!"

Posted (edited)

Nicki Minaj's harajuku barbie phase was kind of like everyone's middle school/freshman year weeaboo phase lol.

And if Miley doesn't steal from black culture, wtf was she doing with those ratty ass dreads on then? Huh?

Eh... The Celts and Vikings discussion is one I really don't like to get into but look at it like this: If having dreadlocks was a common white/European tradition, wouldn't they show up a lot more in the culture? There's a reason black people are called ghetto and/or ratchet for wearing them and it's because dreadlocks are very much associated with black and African culture. If you look back, tribes in Africa wore dreadlocks all the time. Dreadlocks, as a hairstyle, were associated with Africa as a whole. Dreadlocks only showed up in a few European groups because there were much easier options out there. It wasn't a trend or anything like that over there because if it were we'd probably have more than two or three examples of dreads in white culture to speak of. If Miley was somehow trying to represent her heritage through wearing dreads to the VMA's, then all the more to her, but it's more than likely that's not the case. Then there's the whole unrelated "dreads are hippie culture too!" thing which is just ugh.

(There's also the fact that it's much more commonly believed that both Vikings and Celts wore plaited or braided hair which is entirely different from dreads but I'm no historian so who knows...)

http://ragingrootsstudio.com/the-history-of-dreadlocks/

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/the-dreadful-truth-dreadlocks-dont-belong-to-one-culture/

This whole culture appropriation stuff is kind of dumb imo. There are other more important things to get upset about in this world. I people didnt share and spread culture we wouldnt have alot of things we have now.

also dislike miley but I felt nikki was just perpetuating a stereo type by going up there and being overly aggressive suggesting she would fight miley....

Edited by pikarin

Posted

The thing with dreads (and other styles like box braids and corn rows) is that when black girls do it, we get called ghetto, ratchet hood rats for wearing them even though we do it for a good reason (they're protective styles that lets our hair grow and keeps it neat). But when non-black people wear them it's considered "high fashion" and "urban". It's really frustrating when the things you get made fun of for doing for years is suddenly cool when a white person does it. :alpacabored:

I have a question - I've semi-done box braids only because I'm used to braiding my hair when it's longer, and always have. I'm white, yes, but if I've been braiding my hair for years, and suddenly find out that it's part of black culture - should I stop doing it? Is it cultural appropriation if I've only heard it's cultural appropriation over the past year? And I am only talking specifically about braids here, not cornrows or dreads.  

Posted

I have a question - I've semi-done box braids only because I'm used to braiding my hair when it's longer, and always have. I'm white, yes, but if I've been braiding my hair for years, and suddenly find out that it's part of black culture - should I stop doing it? Is it cultural appropriation if I've only heard it's cultural appropriation over the past year? And I am only talking specifically about braids here, not cornrows or dreads.  

what exactly are "semi done" box braids??

Posted

what exactly are "semi done" box braids??

Not as high up on my head. Starting around my ear. 

Posted

Not as high up on my head. Starting around my ear. 

I......I'm confused.....

These are box braids....and are clearly done to all of the hair all over

tumblr_nu7zehJa3b1rwwj8eo1_1280.jpg

Maybe you're talking about "boxer braids"?? Which are actually corn rows??? I still don't see how those could be semi though...

Posted (edited)

http://ragingrootsstudio.com/the-history-of-dreadlocks/

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/the-dreadful-truth-dreadlocks-dont-belong-to-one-culture/

This whole culture appropriation stuff is kind of dumb imo. There are other more important things to get upset about in this world. I people didnt share and spread culture we wouldnt have alot of things we have now.

also dislike miley but I felt nikki was just perpetuating a stereo type by going up there and being overly aggressive suggesting she would fight miley....

Neither of those sites give their sources nor are they quite credible themselves

The only archaeological evidence of Celtic and Viking hair claims different (as I linked above). The Arabic scholar Fadlan (and another scholar) said they were clean and combed their hair (and we've found a lot combs at Viking gravesites https://www.york.ac.uk/research/themes/viking-combs/). Roman sources said Celts greased and put chalk in their hair to stiffen ("snake hair) it for war - which isn't dreading.

I personally don't care if white people dread their hair, but at the same time I don't agree with people trying to twist history to some HOW associate Europeans with dreads to justify it. There just isn't any evidence that North Europeans dreaded their hair in the same fashion as India, Mediterranean, etc.

Edited by Athena

Posted (edited)

I'd know where else to talk about Miley -.- so I'll just let it out here.

Is it me or does anyone else think she started smoking weed to look "cool" you know (when she was in that wannabe rapper phase ... I mean seriously the weed stickers in her bangers album that 12 year olds bought!!! Seriously) did you guys hear she recently said she stopped smoking weed because "it made her lazy"

like guirrrllll if you're a legit stoner you know there is sativa and indica right..... like bitch you have all the money in the world buy your self some good Ass sativa that will actually make you PRODUCTIVE. Seee thissss is why I think she just started smoking to "fit" in with all her rapper friends.... in the interview she says "I wasn't being productive, all I wanted to do was stay at home and that she stoped hanging out with people that smoke" by that does she mean her ex rapper friends😂😂😂 LOL I have heard so many rap songs where they talk about her but not in a good light 😭 This girl is a mess!! Like now that the rapper phase has faded so has the "in the club high on purp with my shade s on" LMAO I can't take her seriously anymore like didn't she say she supposedly stated smoking cus I think helped with her depression? Lol now I feel like she made that up,so her fans would feel sorry and still support her 😳 What do you guys think 

link to to the vid https://youtu.be/BEH3M2JFKJo

Edited by viciousdoll

Posted

I'd know where else to talk about Miley -.- so I'll just let it out here.

Is it me or does anyone else think she started smoking weed to look "cool" you know (when she was in that wannabe rapper phase ... I mean seriously the weed stickers in her bangers album that 12 year olds bought!!! Seriously) did you guys hear she recently said she stopped smoking weed because "it made her lazy"

like guirrrllll if you're a legit stoner you know there is sativa and indica right..... like bitch you have all the money in the world buy your self some good Ass sativa that will actually make you PRODUCTIVE. Seee thissss is why I think she just started smoking to "fit" in with all her rapper friends.... in the interview she says "I wasn't being productive, all I wanted to do was stay at home and that she stoped hanging out with people that smoke" by that does she mean her ex rapper friends😂😂😂 LOL I have heard so many rap songs where they talk about her but not in a good light 😭 This girl is a mess!! Like now that the rapper phase has faded so has the "in the club high on purp with my shade s on" LMAO I can't take her seriously anymore like didn't she say she supposedly stated smoking cus I think helped with her depression? Lol now I feel like she made that up,so her fans would feel sorry and still support her 😳 What do you guys think 

link to to the vid https://youtu.be/BEH3M2JFKJo

Yeah, one of the strains I love growing kicks you in the butt, like "I was depressed, couldn't get out of bed but smoked a joint and now I'm at the gym after catching up on my coursework and lab reports". Honestly it sounds like an excuse, she was being lazy because she wanted to, not because weed made her dew it!

I like Miley, she seems like a good person all in all, with her foundation, how much she cares about animals and she seems very honest, but she is a bit of a spoiled brat. It's all very white upper class american lol

Posted (edited)

Everybody is talking about Miley and Nicki's "Fight" but yet Anaconda is still a joke of a song and there are way better female rappers who need some appreciation and recognition. 

Edited by snazzyjynx