• Announcements

• *NEW* PULL FAQ   07/11/20

Hello. It has been a long time coming, but we finally have a PULL FAQ! In this FAQ you may find answers to most commonly asked questions here on the site. Please make sure to read the FAQ before asking a question in the Site Feedback (formerly the "Make Your Voice Heard") subforum as chances are your question has already been answered. If it has not been answered, then feel free to ask your question within the thread or make a new one with your question. The FAQ can be found in 2 locations: The News & Announcements section and the Site Feedback section. We hope this helps current and new users. Thank you.

Miley Cyrus

60 posts in this topic

Posted

lol but she does use black women as props and if i recall correctly a few even talked about their feelings being on stage w/ her (or maybe it was just little people, who she also used as props and said they felt degraded being up there) 

Posted

lol but she does use black women as props and if i recall correctly a few even talked about their feelings being on stage w/ her (or maybe it was just little people, who she also used as props and said they felt degraded being up there) 

From what little I've seen from her, she does seem to. My point is that people give Nicki a pass on her own crimes because she's WoC and people in USA don't give a shit if it's offensive to Asians. You can't bring up Miley's appropriation in defense of Nicki when she's worse.

Posted

From what little I've seen from her, she does seem to. My point is that people give Nicki a pass on her own crimes because she's WoC and people in USA don't give a shit if it's offensive to Asians. You can't bring up Miley's appropriation in defense of Nicki when she's worse.

but no one is defending Nicki w/ Miley's appropriation. Even Nicki has, in a sense, "appropriated" whats somewhat my culture. Just because people can immediately call out Miley's cultural appropriation (because it's so much more obvious and she still continues to do it) doesn't mean people are dismissing Nicki's past appropriation or using that as a defense for Nicki. 

and please explain how Nicki is worse? I know of her using kimonos and such as costumes but imo Miley by far beats the cake on cultural appropriation 

Posted (edited)

but no one is defending Nicki w/ Miley's appropriation. Even Nicki has, in a sense, "appropriated" whats somewhat my culture. Just because people can immediately call out Miley's cultural appropriation (because it's so much more obvious and she still continues to do it) doesn't mean people are dismissing Nicki's past appropriation or using that as a defense for Nicki. 

and please explain how Nicki is worse? I know of her using kimonos and such as costumes but imo Miley by far beats the cake on cultural appropriation 

I'm not a fan of either, though I like Nicki more (because I actually enjoy some of her songs) so I'm not really defending either.

Constantly wearing Asian-inspired costumes without recognizing where they come from
Refers to herself as Harajuku Barbie 
Typical Chinese-character tattoos

Says her eye makeup makes her look Asian
All of this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqky5B179nM

If Miley has done worse, I'd be interested to hear, truly. I don't follow her because I think she's on drugs.

Edited by Siwon

Posted

Constantly wearing Asian-inspired costumes without recognizing where they come from
Refers to herself as Harajuku Barbie 
Typical Chinese-character tattoos

Says her eye makeup makes her look Asian
All of this; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqky5B179nM

Nicki let go of that whole cringey "Harajuku Barbie" image a while ago when she dyed her hair blonde in 2013-ish. She did that whole barbie thing around 2010-2012 but it seems like she takes herself (and her music) a lot more seriously now. The "Your Love" and "Check It Out" videos both came out in 2010. Nicki said herself that she got the tattoo when she was 16 and regrets getting it done (but she also said that if she hadn't gotten the arm tattoo she probably would've gotten one one on the back of her neck so eh). I never heard about the asian makeup thing, though. Pretty much all of Miley's post-disney career has been shock value and attempts at being edgy. Look at the "We Can't Stop" video or the fact that she wore dreads to the VMAs. Amandla Stenberg tells it best in her video about cultural appropriation.

Posted

Nicki Minaj's harajuku barbie phase was kind of like everyone's middle school/freshman year weeaboo phase lol.

And if Miley doesn't steal from black culture, wtf was she doing with those ratty ass dreads on then? Huh?

Posted (edited)

I think Miley is worst because it's not a phase at this point like how it was with Nicki, especially since now there are more places you can go to to educate yourself and there are more people calling her out. She is very well aware what she has done and is currently doing. I'm pretty sure she has seen the criticism. So she has little excuses compared to Nicki, who had her metaphorical weeb phase around the same time everybody was competing to be the weirdest after Lady Gaga rose to fame and when "cultural appropriation" wasn't a term everybody a knew at that time. 

edit: and if you wanna talk about "appropriative tattoos", Miley has at least one nasty looking sugar skull/dia de los muertos tattoo 

Edited by PurinPrincess

Posted (edited)

Can we not bring in the dreads thing, please... I agree it was tasteless as fuck for Miley to wear them at the time, but let's not open that can of worms please.

I really hate this fight but I wanna give my two cents. I'm a tumblr-er and everyone on there seems to be siding with Nikki so I wanna offer a slightly different opinion and see what you guys think.

I think both of them are wrong in a lot of ways. Miley obviously for being insensitive and ignorant on what she was talking about, and Nikki for acting like she is innocent and 100% in the right. Fact is, we don't know why she didn't get nominated for video of the year, and her acting like MTV is doing it on purpose is ehhh.... seems far reaching.

Nikki said that if she was a "skinny white girl" she would've been nominated, and that because her video is about curvy black women she wasn't. Nikki is always preaching about how she represents bigger body types, and yes she is curvy and "bigger" but definitely NOT fat. I have NEVER seen a girl with Nikki's body type: tiny hourglass waist, huge tits, HUUUGE perfect round ass and perfect curvy legs. Know anyone with that natural body type? Didn't think so. She's ripped off asian cultures, OH but it's okay, cause she's black, and that was years ago, right? Nikki comes off as very hypocritical to me and that's a big reason why I just can't respect what she says sometimes. I agree that POC and different body types need more representation.. but why are you acting like if you don't win this damn award there's no way that can happen? I don't think anyone cares that she didn't get nominated, she's still a very influential figure in the media right now and could enact a lot of positive change if she wanted to but instead she's picking fights with Miley, who is gonna do what Miley does best - not give a fuck. (not saying that's okay, I really don't like Miley)

I don't want to sound too preachy but if I was Nikki I would've said something during my acceptance speech and spoken out to MTV as a whole instead of singling out Miley and making it into a fight. Just wanted to offer a different opinion. 

Edited by Veevee

Posted (edited)

Dreads. Really. lol.

Edit: yes, dreads, really. Idk what my problem was but I've learned a lot.

Edited by Dyabolical

Posted

Can we not bring in the dreads thing, please... I agree it was tasteless as fuck for Miley to wear them at the time, but let's not open that can of worms please.

I really hate this fight but I wanna give my two cents. I'm a tumblr-er and everyone on there seems to be siding with Nikki so I wanna offer a slightly different opinion and see what you guys think.

I think both of them are wrong in a lot of ways. Miley obviously for being insensitive and ignorant on what she was talking about, and Nikki for acting like she is innocent and 100% in the right. Fact is, we don't know why she didn't get nominated for video of the year, and her acting like MTV is doing it on purpose is ehhh.... seems far reaching.

Nikki said that if she was a "skinny white girl" she would've been nominated, and that because her video is about curvy black women she wasn't. Nikki is always preaching about how she represents bigger body types, and yes she is curvy and "bigger" but definitely NOT fat. I have NEVER seen a girl with Nikki's body type: tiny hourglass waist, huge tits, HUUUGE perfect round ass and perfect curvy legs. Know anyone with that natural body type? Didn't think so. She's ripped off asian cultures, OH but it's okay, cause she's black, and that was years ago, right? Nikki comes off as very hypocritical to me and that's a big reason why I just can't respect what she says sometimes. I agree that POC and different body types need more representation.. but why are you acting like if you don't win this damn award there's no way that can happen? I don't think anyone cares that she didn't get nominated, she's still a very influential figure in the media right now and could enact a lot of positive change if she wanted to but instead she's picking fights with Miley, who is gonna do what Miley does best - not give a fuck. (not saying that's okay, I really don't like Miley)

I don't want to sound too preachy but if I was Nikki I would've said something during my acceptance speech and spoken out to MTV as a whole instead of singling out Miley and making it into a fight. Just wanted to offer a different opinion. 

I agree with you 100%

I  mean Miley is an attention-seeking asshat that's trying too hard  to escape her inevitable fall into the pit of washed-up Disney stars but Nicki aint no saint either

Everyone on Tumblr are praising Nicki for "calling out and roasting" Miley but literally all she said was "Miley, what's good?"*semi-menacing tone*

If she's so concerned about Black issues in the media and award shows, why didn't she use her speech time to address those issues instead of sparking a very lame and boring 10- second beef with a celebrity edgelord? Seemed like a low-key publicity stunt to me tbh

Posted

Nikki is always preaching about how she represents bigger body types, and yes she is curvy and "bigger" but definitely NOT fat. I have NEVER seen a girl with Nikki's body type: tiny hourglass waist, huge tits, HUUUGE perfect round ass and perfect curvy legs. 

to be fair, nicki's waist only looks.tiny from the front and back. if you actually look at her from the side she is thick/wide from the waist and it isn't just because of her butt. 

nm.thumb.jpe.3511391ccddbe4c6e33056b24a6

but just because she was "enhanced" doesn't mean she doesn't have a right to talk about plus size issues, especially since it's fairly obvious she can be a victim of fat shaming. Does she actually represent us? Not at all. She still has, as tumblr would say, some privilege. But she's in the spotlight and allowed to speak on the issues as she's a huge victim of fat shaming (bc fat shamers can't tell the difference between actually being fat and not being thin). 

Posted

to be fair, nicki's waist only looks.tiny from the front and back. if you actually look at her from the side she is thick/wide from the waist and it isn't just because of her butt. 

nm.thumb.jpe.3511391ccddbe4c6e33056b24a6

but just because she was "enhanced" doesn't mean she doesn't have a right to talk about plus size issues, especially since it's fairly obvious she can be a victim of fat shaming. Does she actually represent us? Not at all. She still has, as tumblr would say, some privilege. But she's in the spotlight and allowed to speak on the issues as she's a huge victim of fat shaming (bc fat shamers can't tell the difference between actually being fat and not being thin). 

I was just pointing out that she herself is promoting an unrealistic body that most girls can never get without plastic surgery.
Does that mean she has no right to talk about body issues? Definitely not. But there is irony in the fact that she is trying to represent a body type that she had to 'enhance' in order to be more comfortable with. So isn't she kind of adding to the 'unrealistic body image' problem?

Nicki isn't perfect is what I'm tryn to sayI still respect the fact that she is trying to promote a different kind of body, even if it isn't 100% realistic, at least it's better than only representing skinny bodies. I think this fight is pretty stupid but at least it's drawing more attention to these kinds of issues of representation in the media. 

Posted

Nicki Minaj's harajuku barbie phase was kind of like everyone's middle school/freshman year weeaboo phase lol.

And if Miley doesn't steal from black culture, wtf was she doing with those ratty ass dreads on then? Huh?

i really think that hair looks bad on miley but neither of them are perfect! i dont like miley and much rather like nicki im just tired of the calling out all the time? her and taylors twitter thing and also then the miley thing. 

i like nickis music a lot better though. miley has always been a dislike for me :(

Posted

Nicki let go of that whole cringey "Harajuku Barbie" image a while ago when she dyed her hair blonde in 2013-ish. She did that whole barbie thing around 2010-2012 but it seems like she takes herself (and her music) a lot more seriously now. The "Your Love" and "Check It Out" videos both came out in 2010. Nicki said herself that she got the tattoo when she was 16 and regrets getting it done (but she also said that if she hadn't gotten the arm tattoo she probably would've gotten one one on the back of her neck so eh). I never heard about the asian makeup thing, though. Pretty much all of Miley's post-disney career has been shock value and attempts at being edgy. Look at the "We Can't Stop" video or the fact that she wore dreads to the VMAs. Amandla Stenberg tells it best in her video about cultural appropriation.

I'm glad to hear she's dropped most of that, thanks for educating me more on the issue. 

If someone wants to educate me on the dreads, I'm open. All humans will get dreads naturally without grooming so I suppose I'm confused how it's something that's considered cultural appropriation???

Posted

I like both of them and wish they'd be friends because I have an attraction to psycho pop stars. I need that collaboration in my life. js