• Announcements

• Be a moderator! & Reports Announcement   03/07/19

We're aware that PULL needs more moderation and attention, so we're actively looking to expand our mod crew! If you're a regular user and intend to stay this way, then rest assured that we're working on improving PULL for you. In order to do this, we rely on user reports, so I'd like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to report posts you think break a rule, disrupt discussion or shouldn't be allowed.  There is absolutely no concern over getting too many reports - we get a handful of reports per week. More reports would be great because it helps us figure out how our users want the forum to be - leaving criticism in threads doesn't make it easy for mods to find your opinions. Furthermore, don't worry about being a "snitch" or too harsh - a report doesn't mean action will be taken, that's up to the mods. A report really only tells us to look at the comment and to gauge the community atmosphere. Often times, peer pressure or established community atmosphere will dictate the direction a thread takes, and criticizing certain posts can be uncomfortable or downright futile when the majority disagrees with your view. This leads to groupthink and degradation of thread quality because the loudest/most active users get their way. So reporting is a way to quickly and anonymously (to other users) give feedback to the moderators. If we don't get this feedback, we think everyone's happy and there's no need for change. So use this feature as much as you'd like to help shape PULL into a more constructive community again. If you'd like to be a moderator: Click here for the application form.  

Miley Cyrus

59 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

(Not sure if she belongs here, but go ahead and move it if it's wrong :alpacawink:)

LKd90oW.gif

So Miley has kinda been trending lately due to the VMA's and also some stupid shit she has said. Nothing new, right? 

In case you missed it, here you go. 

Miley was interviewed before the VMA's and Nicki Minaj was brought up, and here's her response:

She may have alluded to “Wrecking Ball” also, saying that when a naked white girl breaks a Vevo record she gets nominated.
I didn’t follow it. You know what I always say? Not that this is jealousy, but jealousy does the opposite of what you want it to — that’s a yoga mantra. People forget that the choices that they make and how they treat people in life affect you in a really big way. If you do things with an open heart and you come at things with love, you would be heard and I would respect your statement. But I don’t respect your statement because of the anger that came with it.
And it’s not anger like, “Guys, I’m frustrated about some things that are a bigger issue.”
You made it about you. Not to sound like a bitch, but that’s like, “Eh, I didn’t get my V.M.A.”

But she was ——
If you want to make it about race, there’s a way you could do that. But don’t make it just about yourself. Say: “This is the reason why I think it’s important to be nominated. There’s girls everywhere with this body type.”

I think she did say that ——
What I read sounded very Nicki Minaj, which, if you know Nicki Minaj is not too kind. It’s not very polite. I think there’s a way you speak to people with openness and love. You don’t have to start this pop star against pop star war. It became Nicki Minaj and Taylor in a fight, so now the story isn’t even on what you wanted it to be about. Now you’ve just given E! News “Catfight! Taylor and Nicki Go at It.”
I know you can make it seem like, Oh I just don’t understand because I’m a white pop star. I know the statistics. I know what’s going on in the world. But to be honest, I don’t think MTV did that on purpose.

And of course, at the VMA's, Nicki brought it up:

I feel like both of them are wrong in some ways, but what do you guys think?

There's also other "cute" stuff that she did, such as comparing the Trayvon Martin case to the censorship of "We Can't Stop."

She also used a transgender slur, while she's supposedly a LGBTQ+ supporter??

I'm sure there's a shitload of other stuff, but yeah. 

Edited by kotori

Posted

Tbh I don't really feel like Nicki Minaj was wrong for being pissed off. How many black female artists have been nominated for the best video of the year award? Why did anaconda get nominated again even though it came out last year? 

And miley said "It's just an award!! get over it!!"  Okay so if it's just an award..why are you hosting the VMA's?

Posted

Then miley proceeded to make herself look like a giant ass by saying "BUT I PERSEVERED!!!!!!" for not winning an award all those years ago even tho she was born into fame and everything from the start has been handed to her VS Nicki who was born into poverty and worked her way up

I guess if you wanna get more into details stuff she's done in the past, you could read into this post (mind you, it's one of those "problematic" posts which some ppl might deem as nitpicky but some points are valid) : http://yourfaveisproblematic.tumblr.com/post/45585100987/miley-cyrus

Posted

@Milk, I feel like Miley was way off, but I feel like Nicki should've brought more attention to other black artists. She may be saying that, but her tweets were quite vague so it's hard to tell. :alpacaworry:

And maybe when she won the award, she should've chose that time to address that instead of dragging Miley (which I actually enjoyed but)... I just feel bad  because people are using that "angry black woman" stereotype on her now  :alpacafedup:

Posted

I like both of them but tbh this shit is so stupid. Both of their videos were only popular because they were "shocking." not because they were good.

Posted

I just agree with Miley. Nicki made the issue about herself and then "called her out" on national TV so that the whole world can go and attack her. It's just petty high school shit.

It's just some stupid insignificant award, get over yourself.

Posted (edited)

I just agree with Miley. Nicki made the issue about herself and then "called her out" on national TV so that the whole world can go and attack her. It's just petty high school shit.

It's just some stupid insignificant award, get over yourself.

I don't think it's about the award, I think it's more about why she didn't get the award. As far as I can tell Nicki works just as hard as Miley or anyone else up for video of the year award and what does she get for it? Another hip hop nomination. It wasn't just "I wasn't nominated... time to get butthurt!" Nicki got mad because she did the same as everyone else nominated (made a song that topped the charts, made a video that broke a record, etc.) but due to the genre of music she makes wasn't even considered... Not to mention it wasn't really Miley's place to criticize. Maybe if she were another black woman in the industry- but she's not. It wasn't the same situation at all and for her to compare her video with Anaconda shows that she doesn't really get what Nicki was angry about in the first place.

Screen-Shot-2015-07-22-at-6.19.32-AM1.pn

(Also I might have considered Miley's criticism a bit more if she hadn't come to the VMAs in dreads and Nicki hadn't roasted her) I used to like Miley but I don't really anymore.

Edited by Sagittarius

Posted

Who cares, though? Who the fuck knows what qualifies videos to get nominated for video of the year. The public doesn't know, Nicki doesn't know, Miley doesn't know, so why single out or call out people for something you're ignorant about?

Some of these artists wanna make everything about race when they're losing... But doesn't Beyonce win like a ton of awards all the fucking time!!!?!??!

Posted (edited)

Who cares, though? Who the fuck knows what qualifies videos to get nominated for video of the year. The public doesn't know, Nicki doesn't know, Miley doesn't know, so why single out or call out people for something you're ignorant about?

Some of these artists wanna make everything about race when they're losing... But doesn't Beyonce win like a ton of awards all the fucking time!!!?!??!

#preach

I guess we're ignoring the fact that Nicki was nominated for 5 other awards? Miley doesn't have any more control over that stuff than Nicki does.

Edited by haiyuki

Posted

I can't believe I'm actually reading people agreeing with Miley Cyrus.

Agreeing with Miley, the same girl who uses black women as props. The same girl who constantly steals from black culture and has the nerve to criticize black female artists.

Posted

But Beyonce is only one person, and there are lots of white singers that get tons of awards. I'm not saying that they aren't good or that they are less, but if there's a lot of poc population in the states, why are most famous people white? I've never been in there, so maybe I'm not understanding something, but I don't get why there's only a couple of influential poc in the music scene.

(sorry for any grammar mistake, I'm not used to write in English, and this was a bit too long).

Posted

The only think that metters now in videos are boobs and ass.

Thats sad.

Posted

Miley is so gross. She's a shitty role model. I agree that videos for music is all about ass and boos and being naked. Mileys fashion has become like hooker trash.

Posted

I can't believe I'm actually reading people agreeing with Miley Cyrus.

Agreeing with Miley, the same girl who uses black women as props. The same girl who constantly steals from black culture and has the nerve to criticize black female artists.

Nicki uses Asian culture as prop as well, even referred to herself as Harajuku Barbie. She can keep fighting the fight on black woman issues but can't go around calling out for appropriation. 

Posted

But Beyonce is only one person, and there are lots of white singers that get tons of awards. I'm not saying that they aren't good or that they are less, but if there's a lot of poc population in the states, why are most famous people white? I've never been in there, so maybe I'm not understanding something, but I don't get why there's only a couple of influential poc in the music scene.

(sorry for any grammar mistake, I'm not used to write in English, and this was a bit too long).

My point is: there are black people winning awards and being nominated for awards. There are soooo many influential/popular/etc black celebrities.

Miley is just a fucking weirdo. She doesn't "steal black culture" or "use blacks as props' like lol wtf.