• Announcements

• Recent changes to PULL   07/07/19

Hello everyone,   As promised, we're working on some changes to improve the forum and community! So far, here are the recent changes: Negative reputation has been disabled. Upvoting remains intact. This is a trial run to deal with whiteknights brigading certain topics and salty users mass-downvoting users they disagree with. Some text formatting options have been removed. Some users like to format their posts in ways that make them harder to read or downright obnoxious. (Light colors, tiny fonts, etc), so this helps make threads more readable. If you find yourself needing post formatting because you're making a new thread, please contact a mod and we will make it happen. New threads have to be approved anyway, so you're not going to have to start out with an ugly thread. Text formatting remains available to all users who have supported us via Patreon.No more threads on "Online Personalities". We will NOT lock or remove old threads, but we won't approve new threads about people who don't have any history of drama or controversies. Some threads will be moved to the snowflake sections if applicable. Read the new topic guidelines before you make a new thread.Here are our works in progress: New categories will be added. "Little Snowflakes" is too broad of a spectrum, so we're going to sort our flakes into a few sub-sections to keep things organized. We will also make more use of tags for those flakes who transcend categories. This will also allow us to appoint moderators to specific categories or snowflakes. New moderators will be onboarded soon. 

General Venus Angelic Thread #3

3706 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Ramble post, so sorry...

I don’t know much about her family, but I do remember when she was trying to get into contact with her father and it didn’t go well... Like the first time she called him in a long time he was asking her questions like “how much money do you make” which was really rude and heartbreaking to hear. From the way Venus spoke, it didn’t sound like her father was all that interested in her. She stated that he was very concerned with money and status. Then that time she tried calling her grandmother (her father’s mother) and she also was not very nice to Venus. If I remember correctly she was accusing her of being after money. Not sure if these were her Switzerland relatives... But it seems like Venus doesn’t have great contact or relationship with any family except for Mana’s parents. It would be so hard for her to leave Japan because I doubt she’d have her actual family to fall back on before getting on her feet... the whole situation is sad.

EDIT: also oof... she just lost close to 1000 

4DF83AD0-14E8-4CA7-A2D1-1C360FF2915B.jpeg

Edited by AnarchyStocking

Posted

sup' PULL? My long winded return/opinion:

We never really saw "the real" Venus. Even when she shared her inner demons & healing process, we still only saw 1 side of her. A side that was cut, edited, & uploaded- no matter what the realness. Just a fragment of the totality of her. This digital character just another one - An expression. A less authentic one? Perhaps. An easier one to share with the public? For sure. A cop out? Maybe. A complete re-haul? YUP. Her channel switched gears. (Maybe for self-preservation; and in which case, do it.)

The only thing that confuses me is the SUDDEN shift. Zero hype. Little explanation. No "Good bye!" No attempt to sell this new channel to its already existing community. (A community based off of a completely different concept.) Just a random announcement. A roll out, with a passive aggressive attitude: "They're pissing their pants in the comment section of my new video."

It seems like Venus wants her fans to just accept this complete 180* of her content. Which is interesting. Most times when brands re-vamp, there is SOME sort of community awareness beforehand. (And yes... Her channel is her brand. It sounds cold, but it's true. If her YT is her only livelihood, then it's her brand and career.) My speculation: She knew some people would be skeptical, and didn't want to deal with them.  Which is a great attitude to have, if you want to stick up for yourself... but a bad attitude to have, if you want to be a pleasing content creator.
I wonder though... Can she have it both ways?

I hope she can.
I don't care about this new content at all. I was more interested content based on lifestyle, travel, culture, tutorials, and cooking, ect. Even her content about inner reflection, growth, and healing- that was amazing. She became SO RELATABLE.
But at the end of the day, Venus owes us nothing. To her fans her subscribers: nothing. She's obv. in a place where people pleasing should not be a priority. Even if her TY Career fails because of it. Which, probably won't happen! 

Posted

Now today she’s lost over 1000.... Is the change really worth it?

51931E61-EE78-4AEF-BA15-0E2FD73A1BE1.jpeg

Posted

Hi, im new here but i have been lurking for a long time. I've followed Venus in several social pages, more than i would like to admit, so i wanted to share what i think of this situation. 

First, I think she might have good-money saved and producing, or at least I hope so. I use to see her twitter and she posted once something like "even if my investment account goes to zero i will keep trying". Well, I really hope whatever investment she picked didn't go to zero! But she wrote this after some constant hanging out with Taylor R - and i believe Taylor R also knows how to invest her money -maybe in companie's stocks-, im sure both said or wrote something among those lines. Maybe around 2017. 

I was following Venus because i had a similar situation with my own mother, and it sort of gave strenght to keep going. But i didnt ever took screencaps so wopsies .-.

Then, I think Venus finally knows what she wants to do. She had Malice's channel for a good amount of time and uploads regularly there even with fewer views, which to me shows how much more she enjoys this Malice character. She has also mentioned she wants to be a seiuyuu and a singer for anime. If anything, Japan should be the perfect and right place to do it, and maybe its not the best move for her audience, but it might be for a potential employer. She will have videos showcasing how she can act like a certain character.

I agree that she has been very blunt in the way she is switching one thing for the other. For this i have another theory: she still copies too much of her friends. She say before she didn't have a sense of identity. I really believe Taylor R influenced her about keeping better finances. Now i believe she is copying that rude instagram girl, CozyKitsune.

Someone mentioned before, in this thread, that they noticed Venus once stop following that girl on instagram. I saw that too (god what am i doing with my time). When someone mentioned that to CozyK, Venus followed her once again - probably CozyK made her or asked about it, and Venus just followed her instead of confronting her. Does this makes Venus good or a victim again? Neither, this is pretty random neutral friendship problems, which she never had before, but i think she is too used to follow another female, "stronger" -or meaner- just like her mother. I was hell for her but she keeps doing it. 

When i saw her video of girl-becoming-Malice, "Living doll to virtual girl", it seemed to me she was very influenced by CozyKappa ... ahh Kenna's poems. The "you see" phrase specially sounds more like that girl. Now that she and CozyK have been talking and are supposed to be friends, i think CozyK's rude ways are rubbing on Venus.

Which is also Venu's responsibility, to learn how to differentiate herself from her friend's personalities. I think she still has a long way to go on the way she constructs herself instead of following someone else's lead, but also, thats the way children construct their personalities, so idk, i guess she is indeed having a late development in general. 

Aaaand idk, i will miss her channel, as  BitchPlox said she was a lot more relatable since she opened up. I just hope she continues to grow in the direction she wants to go. People her age and younger have the opportunity to try new things, fail at them, without having an audience judging it. In my opinion, she might have to learn more in terms of video edition, some animation, etc. or cover popular songs with an anime twist for her Malice thing to be popular with a western audience - like AnnaPantsu maybe?- and yes, she will loose a lot of fans, but its also likely that a good amount of those fans are weeby and into that.

Who knows what will happen in the future, i do wish her the best. 

Posted (edited)

JMVA.thumb.JPG.26b1e48337c638acd6b71f4c1 vasubloss.thumb.JPG.4f7e51167c333bde5020

She's lost so many subs already that I feel bad for unsubbing. She should have at least made a goodbye video, I still think Malice would be better off as a second channel having it on her main channel kinda ruins the "magic". I swear virtual youtubers are really only popular in Japan and I think the only closest thing to a virtual youtuber we have in the west is Barbie vlogs and she's literally only popular because she's Barbie, I know Barbie has a whole production team behind her and Venus just has herself and possibly a manager so its like comparing apples to oranges but considering Venus' audience is mostly western it's no surprise that Malice really isn't working out, I hope that it'll get better with time though, maybe she'll find an audience that cares about Malice. I still think she should have left Malice on her second channel and let her main channel slowly die and then just focus on Malice's channel.  Its clearly not for me but I do wish Venus the best with Malice and I hope that everything will work out in the end!

I think I'll only just follow Venus on instagram, unless she's just gonna post about Malice and be bitchy.

Edited by Sparklefist
typos...typos everywhere.

Posted

I think Malice's main problem is that she doesn't really offer anything new or interesting -at least, in Venus' main channel. People followed Venus because they cared about her, her life and enjoyed her humor... Malice isn't relatable, her life story sounds -well- boring, and her humor gets lost because it is hard to understand her voice (also, she has very limited expressions).

I agree with those who said it would have been easier for Venus to really get into the whole Vtubbing thing if she had used her main channel to promote her Malice's channel, and then just close her main channel and dedicate herself to Malice. Malice's channel has a better gasp on what type of content she does (gaming, songs, podcasts) but it is just so different from the type of content Venus' is known for.

Posted (edited)

I unsubscribed. This is dumb shit and she's an idiot for treating her subscribers this way. She isn't even going to put herself in her videos? Obviously this is some issues with her face and body and she wants to hide. She should have gotten professional help instead of spitting in the face of the people who've been paying her bills. I usually think of Venus as an intelligent young lady but I'm questioning that now. She's a fucking idiot. 

Edited by Big Boner

Posted (edited)

My theory is that she is no longer together with Manaki. Why would Manaki have turned shy so suddenly ? She has also told us that big changes have taken place in her life. She has to keep this secret for fear of Japanese imigration

Edited by Pedro
added additional information

Posted

My theory is that she is no longer together with Manaki. Why would Manaki have turned shy so suddenly ? She has also told us that big changes have taken place in her life. She has to keep this secret for fear of Japanese imigration

Yeah I’ve been getting that feeling too....

Posted

But if she is no longer with manaki then where and how would she live on her own? I don't think youtube earnings would be enough for that ..this whole situation is  absurd

Posted (edited)

Maybe she will share what's the deal with Manaki and her when she settled down a little. 

My theory is that there will be even more confusion, maybe she vanishes from Youtube completely and only communicates via cryptic instagram posts with her audience. 

Who knows... I already kind of lost most of my interest in her (I do enjoy PULL discussions, though!). I do wish her well, but her channel is too boring and irrelevant to watch and her insta makes me feel sad. I think vanishing into the void of irrelevance is maybe the exact thing her mental health would need to get better. Would make sense. It could do her good to take a break from all social media and Youtube. 

I unsubscribed. This is dumb shit and she's an idiot for treating her subscribers this way. She isn't even going to put herself in her videos? Obviously this is some issues with her face and body and she wants to hide. She should have gotten professional help instead of spitting in the face of the people who've been paying her bills. I usually think of Venus as an intelligent young lady but I'm questioning that now. She's a fucking idiot. 

Well, I unsubscribed too. And it isn't wise to change the whole topic of her channel. But her subscribers are not entitled to her uploading whatever they want to see. They did not buy her and whatever Venus likes to broadcast, it's her decision. The change is surprising, but not rude in any way. Her comments about it are rude. But still, she is not a broadcasting show, she is a person. Just unsubscribe and get over it. 

Edited by Strawberries

Posted

She's lost about two thousand subs since the 29th, and I really hope it's not damaging her mental health. 

So I finally watched Venus' new video in its entirety and I don't know what programme she's using but the way Malice is animated is really off putting, like borderline uncanny valley shit and she keeps staring and it's really creepy. I don't know how much money her or her agency (I think she has one? IDK how it all works) has but it would be nice if someone investied in better mocap and whatnot, especially since she's had this character for ages already, I'm not expecting Barbie vlogs level shit but it'd be nice if her head wasn't awkwardly moving from side to side, the mouth not syncing or the eyes spasaming out. Don't get me started on that thin ass neck. Venus if you're reading this please also add in subtitles to your videos, you talk too fast and some people have a hard time understanding your accent. :alpacacrush:

Posted (edited)

I watched the first few seconds of the video but it's really absolutely not my cup of tea. Then I skimmed through the comment section.... and wow... this whole change of her channel is a mess. People in the comments are very respectful mostly. Most of them wish her the best and hope this change will help her, but so many also said they will unsubscribe because they are not interested in such a content.

I think I skimmed through the first 50 comments and 99% of them said they will quit watching her videos. This is a trainwreck, seriously. I hope she thought this through well, and that she expected the outcome. If she did, and she doesn't mind, more power to her - it's still her channel after all - but if she didn't expect this reaction from her subscribers, then I don't know...

Edited by Risa
typos

Posted (edited)

Yeah her accent when speaking english is horrible sorry to say, she is very hard to understand which is another reason why I think she should not be doing this. Her english just isnt good enough.

Edited by Kiko

Posted

Yeah her accent when speaking english is horrible sorry to say, she is very hard to understand which is another reason why I think she should not be doing this. Her english just isnt good enough.

The thing is, when she’s being Malice she uses a baby voice on top of her english accent and purposely slurrs her words to sound cute. All that achieves, given that we know who’s behind the character, is annoyance and a further disconnection from Malice. But if Venus were to do the videos in japanese, although I understand her baby japanese better than her baby english, she would probably lose even more followers and Malice wouldn’t stand out at all from the rest of the Vtubers. This whole thing is a mess honestly but if it helps her, go off sis.