General Venus Angelic Thread #3

2616 posts in this topic

Posted

I know it's only for a doctor to say who has an eating disorder or not but I find it really hard to believe that anyone without an eating disorder would a) have an illegal weight loss surgery b) believe they needed to lose 20lb when being so thin c) describe feelings of fear around gaining weight 

I feel like we need to remember her abnormal stomach. I guess she didn't even know that she had gastroptosis and just got desperate from always being hungry and being able to eat forever making her gain weight, and tried to fix it by getting the weightloss surgery. And she still has a large stomach now, so I understand her fear of unknowingly overeating and gaining weight.

And I don't think she wants to lose 20 pounds to be thinner, I think she has been really bloated since surgery and wants to lose that water weight? I think she said the anaesthetics had a weird reaction on her making her look like the Michelin man. She is eating more to try to lose it.. Doesn't sound like an eating disorder to me if she is eating more?

I don't want to sound like a whiteknight but it's kind of annoying how some people seem to ignore her gastroptosis and instead just keep insisting she has an ED and "just needs to eat more".

Posted

I know it's only for a doctor to say who has an eating disorder or not but I find it really hard to believe that anyone without an eating disorder would a) have an illegal weight loss surgery b) believe they needed to lose 20lb when being so thin c) describe feelings of fear around gaining weight  

I'm starting to think that while she has a distorted view of her body, she might really just think of herself as another girl on a diet. Maybe I just wasn't around for it, but I don't remember her ever talking about having a super restrictive diet plan (correct me if I'm wrong). Because from this post it sounds like she's creating a healthy weight loss plan together with a doctor, and I remember in the past her posting a healthy dinner she had made as part of a moderate diet. Because of her distorted view of her body, she thinks she is overweight even when it's clear to us that she isn't - so maybe she thinks this is necessary, rather than punishing herself or starving. I know that some people with body dysmorphia, whose negative focus is on their face, will get plastic surgery because of their perception of their appearance. So I feel like that could be an explanation for Venus getting the weight loss surgery without actually having an eating disorder. 

(This isn't to say that the surgery was okay to get. Nor do I think it's okay for her to see herself as overweight and have to go on diet after diet.)

I also think it might be possible that her definition of an eating disorder is different from ours. Plenty of people still think that anorexia=someone who rarely if ever eats and is severely underweight with jutting bones. And the doctors might not have diagnosed her because she didn't meet all of the criteria.

Posted (edited)

Yeah sorry this is incredibly frustrating to read.

I am NOT a doctor and can't diagnose someone from 10k km away. But if you describe to me a girl with obsessive thoughts on eating, desperation over the thought of gaining weight, constant dieting and even a (technically) illegal, DANGEROUS weight loss surgery that might have permanently affected her health and her relationship with her spouse 

bro 

I'm sorry but no, I'm not going to read this and think "yup, no problems here". 

No one said that she has no issues. she goes to a therapist for a reason. but diagnoses have guidelines and if you don't follow those guidelines it becomes pointless to diagnose anyone with anything.

she is eating healthy, going to therapists and going to doctors. whatever it is: a sick body, anxiety or another mental illness it's not our job to diagnose and it's not her job to diagnose.

no therapist told her that she has ED and it's reasonable for her to say that she doesn't have it. 

Edited by over the rainbow

Posted

I knew it... The doctor's only said she doesn't have ano or mia (the most common EDs and sometimes believed to be the ONLY EDs in the world...). God dammit. She needs to see a psych who can tell her about other forms of ED and how her situation fits the terms.

And can I just say, if she still carries 20 pounds of water weight then how skinny she really is now? Is she claiming to weight 50 kg just cause of water weight and needs to lose it to be 40 kg again or am I missing the point here?

Posted

I just hate how she claims not to have an ED while constantly talking about her having to lose "water weight". I just followed her again and I'm already thinking of unfollowing her again. She should know that she has many young fans and as she said in her video, she wouldn't want those to cut off a part of their stomach. But she wants them to lose 20lbs while being already very skinny? Please, Venus...

Posted

I am kinda mixed about er ED because of her stomach.., I mean it probably comes automatically with having that abnormal stomach? Like most of her life she just thinks about food because she is never full. So she went to get that surgery out of desperation to feel normal. How can she diet or live a normal life with never feeling full? (Not that I think she needs one now because she is already skinny af) Food probably plays a big role in her day if that's the only thing she can think about when she is never satisfied.

I think we cant really relate to how she feels, we feel full after a normal meal but she doesn't, ofcourse it worries her, probably just thinking of a way to keep her weight without gaining while she could probably eat a whole whale if she wanted to. Maybe anyone with that kind of stomach would have some sort of eating disorder :/..

Posted

the thing about being diagnosed with an ed is that (i can't speak for Japan but i'm certain it's even more complicated than it is here in the U.S.) the standards are ridiculous. The first entire year after i started starving and binging and purging in cycles both my doctor and my psychologist refused to diagnose me because i didn't meet the weight critera which was the  only criteria for being diagnosed with anorexia or bulimia. It didn't matter what I was doing or how I was thinking or what my relationship with food was or if i had lost 40 pounds in two months- the only part the doctors cared about was whether or not i was severely underweight and they refused to treat me until then. 

Eating disorders are any unhealthy relationship a person has with food and their body image- whether it's over eating, under eating, eating normally but obsessing over numbers and feeling incredibly guilty or like you should be punished or are undeserving of food. It's so, so much more than being deathly thin. In fact the only way to stop people with eds from becoming deathly thin is to diagnose and treat them before it gets to that point but more than most doctos are unwilling to recognize underlying issues people have with food. 

I'm not saying doctors aren't qualified to diagnose eating disorders but they sure as hell do overlook it 99% of the time and wait until it's too late. 

Venus is still obsessing with her weight, food, and body image. She shouldn't be waiting to be 1 pound away from death to be treated with the help she needs. 

Oh, please. Of course the doctor is going to decide "yeah, she doesn't have ED" if she didn't tell them how obsessed she is with losing weight and thinking she's a fatass. And she was admitted to the hospital because she couldn't keep down her food due to her botched internal organs and that seemed like the main reason for her weight loss. A doctor is not clairvoyant - they're not going to know about her fucked-up relationship with food if she doesn't tell them. 

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but Venus has already proven herself to be a liar and quite delusional too. She even said in her instagram post "The reason I got tested for it at the hospital was because I could choose wether to cut my stomach or not. So they wouldn’t allow me to get the stomach cut option if I had anorexia/bulimia." And she's obsessed with staying skinny, so of course she just said the right things and got what she wanted - not diagnosed with ED and can keep continuing her "diet".

Posted

Oh, please. Of course the doctor is going to decide "yeah, she doesn't have ED" if she didn't tell them how obsessed she is with losing weight and thinking she's a fatass. And she was admitted to the hospital because she couldn't keep down her food due to her botched internal organs and that seemed like the main reason for her weight loss. A doctor is not clairvoyant - they're not going to know about her fucked-up relationship with food if she doesn't tell them. 

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but Venus has already proven herself to be a liar and quite delusional too. She even said in her instagram post "The reason I got tested for it at the hospital was because I could choose wether to cut my stomach or not. So they wouldn’t allow me to get the stomach cut option if I had anorexia/bulimia." And she's obsessed with staying skinny, so of course she just said the right things and got what she wanted - not diagnosed with ED and can keep continuing her "diet".

This is my thought process as well: she isn't being honest to her doctors.

I can understand that her need to be in certain weight and have a certain bodytype, many people are like that, models are like that, it's "normal". But when she starts saying that when she gains weight and doesn't basically feel her bones anymore she wants to rip her skin off. That is not how normal people act when they gain weight.

Her stomach has nothing to do with any of this. She might not feel full that easily but she has also been starving herself for years now, easily 5 years. Your body needs food to survive and heal itself, if you don't eat then you will feel hungry. Her stomach issues can be a factor on this but it's not the whole truth.