• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

group discussion K-Vloggers General Discussion

974 posts in this topic

Posted

Idk if this is irrelevant news or something but I saw on a reddit thread that Rachel (dearseoul) was dating a kpop idol called Jheart. Although nothing’s been confirmed she recently posted this on her story. Thoughts? 

18A8ED51-0D22-4416-8754-1D8B22E4E838.png

wasnt this already confirmed a while back on this thread? and it got him in trouble cuz n sonic fans or whatever found out they were dating secretly/living together and got upset cuz she didnt hide it well?

Posted (edited)

-

Edited by toffeepudding

Posted

Has Whitneybae been discussed here? I don't think she has her own thread. I honestly can't stand her in the slightest lol. She has lived in Korea for 8 years and her Korean is garbage. When my boyfriend (born and raised in Korea) found out that she lived there so long, he was really angry to see yet another foreigner soaking in all Korea has to give yet not give Korea/Korean culture anything in return aka falling into the "I'm too good to learn Korean properly" bubble. 

I find the way she speaks in Korean extreme cringe as well. Here's one of her latest videos. Her Korean subtitles are correct, but don't match her speaking at all which leads me/my bf to think that someone is subbing her videos for her because the grammar is totally different etc. or if she knows Korean well but CHOOSES to speak that way to appear "cute" then... ew. 

Her editing style is also just like Edward and every other vlogger/youtuber trying to be trendy right now. 

There are not many youtubers that I can't stand, but she is surely one of them. What's so hard about learning Korean properly? Where are normal, Korean foreigner vloggers? Do they exist? Lemme grab my camera and start a youtube channel real quick 😤

Posted

Has Whitneybae been discussed here? I don't think she has her own thread. I honestly can't stand her in the slightest lol. She has lived in Korea for 8 years and her Korean is garbage. When my boyfriend (born and raised in Korea) found out that she lived there so long, he was really angry to see yet another foreigner soaking in all Korea has to give yet not give Korea/Korean culture anything in return aka falling into the "I'm too good to learn Korean properly" bubble. 

I find the way she speaks in Korean extreme cringe as well. Here's one of her latest videos. Her Korean subtitles are correct, but don't match her speaking at all which leads me/my bf to think that someone is subbing her videos for her because the grammar is totally different etc. or if she knows Korean well but CHOOSES to speak that way to appear "cute" then... ew. 

Her editing style is also just like Edward and every other vlogger/youtuber trying to be trendy right now. 

There are not many youtubers that I can't stand, but she is surely one of them. What's so hard about learning Korean properly? Where are normal, Korean foreigner vloggers? Do they exist? Lemme grab my camera and start a youtube channel real quick 😤

I’m pretty sure she has her own thread? I could be wrong. 

I don’t keep up with her but the last video I saw was her actively trying to learn Korean, I think she was taking a class or had a tutor. I haven’t gotten the impression that she’s just an arrogant leech who doesn’t care about learning Korean. Some people just suck at foreign languages and don’t mind living in a bubble. 

Posted

https://prettyuglylittleliar.net/topic/9583-whitneybae/?page=1 theres the thread for you

tbh that wasnt a great example of her subbing incorrectly because she said what she subbed like every time.....so it was a match, at least the part that you marked in the link and the beginning bit i watched/skipping around. her pronunciation is pretty heavy foreigner but in terms of an example of saying "I do, say, the, Korea, mhm" and subbing "Yes, I speak Korean fluently" as if that's what she actually said, this was a bad example (lit the part you sent to she said "까르보 먹어볼까요 정말 기대해요" with bad pronunciation and the subs read "까르보 먹어볼까요? 정말 기대해요!". so....identical.) Do you have another vid where her subs are perfect and her speaking is incorrect? I don't watch her so idk. 

She's not my cup of tea and I don't like aegyo especially when it's forced but I do give her props for filming in Korean the whole time. Neither Eddie who is supposedly fluent and has a good deal of Korean friends nor Joan who is actually Korean and has been speaking it her whole life at varying points (both of whom who also have been living in Korea for years) do that, at least not regularly. They just throw in the occasional "진짜ㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏ" or "하지마" or "안돼" or whatever into random English sentences which is useless). Megan Bowen also doesn't do that, despite clearly being fluent enough to get herself her own visa and having a Korean fiance. Also I've seen plenty of Youtubers who are native Koreans who use about the same level of Korean as Whitney did--I mean, it's a mukbang video about shitty mandu, do you expect her to give a detailed explanation of the history of mandu or talk about the modern trend of bastardizing foods as an academic presentation? Like, it's a basic video, she's using basic Korean, i dont see the big issue. 

Idk im not trying to wk Whitney, though I generally think she's a sweet enough girl who is trying and I just want her to be better. In this vid her wig and makeup is way better than before, so to me that's progress. Not to mention she doesn't seem like an arrogant asshole despite recently achieving much greater success and despite having undoubtedly crappy experiences in Korea in the past. Not to mention, as I've said in the Eddie thread I believe, it is just so damn easy for foreigners to get away with not learning Korean. God knows I skated by when I was there (ashamed of myself though I was/am), and I knew multiple people who lived there for over a decade and could barely order at a restaurant. So, idk. Is Whitney this beacon of awesomeness whose videos I eagerly await? Absolutely not. Is she the pinnacle of what foreign Youtubers could be? Also no. Is she this shitty despicable stuck up Youtuber who "is too good to learn Korean"? Personally, I don't think so. I honestly do not get the arrogant vibe from her, if anything she seems massively nervous and insecure, perhaps also why I'm hesitant to go hard on her. Plus she went through some SHIT it seems like in Korea, never had a massive break like, say, Sam Okyere did even though when he was first shown on Hello Counselor his Korean was pretty bad (like speaking in banmal to the hosts whenever they asked him questions). So idk there's a kind of determination/stubbornness/naivety? about Whitney that I kind of admire. I would've just up and left if I tried so hard like her and was pretty much constantly let down.

Are there Youtubers who are foreigners speaking solely in Korean? Dave......other than that and Whitney.....idk. Korean Englishman, but he's not living in Korea anymore. Idk, perhaps if you find some you should post them here. The reality is that most foreigners have an audience in foreign countries who want to come to Korea or want to learn more about Korea etc so their target audience don't usually have a need for videos in Korean, hence why so many stick to English. It's probably also why so many Korean Youtubers add Eng subs to gain more views since they also want to ride that hallyu wave. If foreigners in Korea made videos in Korean, would they have that many Korean viewers? Honest question.

oh there are a few now that I think about it that my husband has shown me before, one Aussie chick whose name I forget and one girl who was German? But she moved. But the former at least did dumb kitschy videos like "foreigners try x food!!!" so, again, not the type of thing I'd seek out and I was not terribly impressed by her Korean level either. A lot of foreigners in Korea who are fluent aren't trying to get into the Youtube game it seems but rather trying to be on TV shows reality or not (ie Christina? from Canada, that model who was in the makeup vid with Whitney, pretty much anyone who's ever been on Abnormal Summit) so that also might explain it

But yeah if you see a void on Youtube and want to fill it, go grab a camera and go for it bro god knows if Joan can find success with her mediocrity any of us can 

also i should warn you, people on Whitney's thread generally adore her. so if you post what you did here, you might get eaten alive.

someone earlier on posted their distaste for Whitney and eventually got attacked off the site it seemed?

idk just thought i should give you a heads up lol

Posted

https://prettyuglylittleliar.net/topic/9583-whitneybae/?page=1 theres the thread for you

tbh that wasnt a great example of her subbing incorrectly because she said what she subbed like every time.....so it was a match, at least the part that you marked in the link and the beginning bit i watched/skipping around. her pronunciation is pretty heavy foreigner but in terms of an example of saying "I do, say, the, Korea, mhm" and subbing "Yes, I speak Korean fluently" as if that's what she actually said, this was a bad example (lit the part you sent to she said "까르보 먹어볼까요 정말 기대해요" with bad pronunciation and the subs read "까르보 먹어볼까요? 정말 기대해요!". so....identical.) Do you have another vid where her subs are perfect and her speaking is incorrect? I don't watch her so idk. 

She's not my cup of tea and I don't like aegyo especially when it's forced but I do give her props for filming in Korean the whole time. Neither Eddie who is supposedly fluent and has a good deal of Korean friends nor Joan who is actually Korean and has been speaking it her whole life at varying points (both of whom who also have been living in Korea for years) do that, at least not regularly. They just throw in the occasional "진짜ㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏㅏ" or "하지마" or "안돼" or whatever into random English sentences which is useless). Megan Bowen also doesn't do that, despite clearly being fluent enough to get herself her own visa and having a Korean fiance. Also I've seen plenty of Youtubers who are native Koreans who use about the same level of Korean as Whitney did--I mean, it's a mukbang video about shitty mandu, do you expect her to give a detailed explanation of the history of mandu or talk about the modern trend of bastardizing foods as an academic presentation? Like, it's a basic video, she's using basic Korean, i dont see the big issue. 

Idk im not trying to wk Whitney, though I generally think she's a sweet enough girl who is trying and I just want her to be better. In this vid her wig and makeup is way better than before, so to me that's progress. Not to mention she doesn't seem like an arrogant asshole despite recently achieving much greater success and despite having undoubtedly crappy experiences in Korea in the past. Not to mention, as I've said in the Eddie thread I believe, it is just so damn easy for foreigners to get away with not learning Korean. God knows I skated by when I was there (ashamed of myself though I was/am), and I knew multiple people who lived there for over a decade and could barely order at a restaurant. So, idk. Is Whitney this beacon of awesomeness whose videos I eagerly await? Absolutely not. Is she the pinnacle of what foreign Youtubers could be? Also no. Is she this shitty despicable stuck up Youtuber who "is too good to learn Korean"? Personally, I don't think so. I honestly do not get the arrogant vibe from her, if anything she seems massively nervous and insecure, perhaps also why I'm hesitant to go hard on her. Plus she went through some SHIT it seems like in Korea, never had a massive break like, say, Sam Okyere did even though when he was first shown on Hello Counselor his Korean was pretty bad (like speaking in banmal to the hosts whenever they asked him questions). So idk there's a kind of determination/stubbornness/naivety? about Whitney that I kind of admire. I would've just up and left if I tried so hard like her and was pretty much constantly let down.

Are there Youtubers who are foreigners speaking solely in Korean? Dave......other than that and Whitney.....idk. Korean Englishman, but he's not living in Korea anymore. Idk, perhaps if you find some you should post them here. The reality is that most foreigners have an audience in foreign countries who want to come to Korea or want to learn more about Korea etc so their target audience don't usually have a need for videos in Korean, hence why so many stick to English. It's probably also why so many Korean Youtubers add Eng subs to gain more views since they also want to ride that hallyu wave. If foreigners in Korea made videos in Korean, would they have that many Korean viewers? Honest question.

oh there are a few now that I think about it that my husband has shown me before, one Aussie chick whose name I forget and one girl who was German? But she moved. But the former at least did dumb kitschy videos like "foreigners try x food!!!" so, again, not the type of thing I'd seek out and I was not terribly impressed by her Korean level either. A lot of foreigners in Korea who are fluent aren't trying to get into the Youtube game it seems but rather trying to be on TV shows reality or not (ie Christina? from Canada, that model who was in the makeup vid with Whitney, pretty much anyone who's ever been on Abnormal Summit) so that also might explain it

But yeah if you see a void on Youtube and want to fill it, go grab a camera and go for it bro god knows if Joan can find success with her mediocrity any of us can 

Hidden Content

Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out later  

I can’t check my YouTube link at the moment but I didn’t intend to link a certain time frame in the video, so if I did that’s accidental and I apologize. I just copied the URL from the URL bar so idk why it’s at a specific time (if it is). 

I’m also in no way trying to come for Whitney’s appearance or loots or makeup I think she’s pretty I’m speaking slowly on her personality. 

Dave and Korean Englishman are also only people I know in Korea/sometimes in Korea that don’t make tacky Korean vlogs similar to the tacky Japanese blogs. 

That being said I agree Eddie’s Korean is way cringer, and I do hold Whitney way higher than him and even Joan. I watch both their videos but I just.. can’t. But I think it’s me. Because I have this mindset that I could never live somewhere without properly learning the language and being respectful etc. so I think I push my mindset on every vlogger I see, no matter the country. And I’ve learned Korean, while living in the US with only a few trips to Korea, just as well as Whitney has in a year vs her 8 years so it just comes off as lazy to me? Idk. Like I said, my problem 

Posted

^ She has a thread so I'll quickly answer but when it comes to foreigners in Korea, I'd take pretty much Whitney over any one else (except Yo Homegirl, I like how she edits her vids). It has nothing to do with liking her sooo much or whatever (though I have soft spot for her I'm not even subscribed to her channel) and I certainly hate the aegyo voice she takes on her main channel (I really prefer her vlogs); but it has everything to do with being a Black woman. That's it.

I'm a Black woman and after a literal decade seeing people - who are mainly White - playing foreigners in other countries, I'd rather see whatever happens to these vloggers through the eye of someone who looks like me. And honestly, as kicksthis said, she's like one of the least offending among all these K-vloggers. Cringey yes, but when it comes to having a big ego / being stubborn / not wanting to go out of their comfort zone, she comes close to the bottom of the list.

Posted

TW: Sexual assault / Non-consensual touching

Despite going to Nathalie's channel just for the nice editing and fun vlogs / hauls, I'm glad she talked about this and mainly because:

1/ Despite all this happening a year ago (?), it's never too late to talk about this and it's great she was brave enough to do so (and to seek justice);

2/ It shows everyone that S.Korea isn't all sunshine and rainbows. Yes, it could have happened anywhere she'd live (Men ain't shit) but kboos don't seem to get the memo that S.Korea isn't the place portrayed in all these drama stories, just a country like any other;

3/ It shows that the police / the justice system can sometimes listen to the victim and do their job of punishing the attacker (he got a prison sentence?);

4/ It could have been 'tricky' considering she's a foreigner and the attacker is Korean - the police and everyone involved could have more easily sided with him - but the situation and Nathalie herself showed that if some men think they could take advantage of a woman just because she's not from the country, they are fucking wrong.

She was really brave to do what she did and to not let it go. I'm also glad she used her platform to share the story.

(I'm in no way blaming victims who don't talk about their assault - not even to the police - I'm just happy that justice has been served for once.)

Posted

Does this girl count as a K-Vlogger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASxfHbnzLNw 

She came up in my recommendations for some reason (which seems like it happened to a lot of people based on the comments on her video) and I was pretty surprised because I've never heard of her and don't watch the kind of videos she makes

And then also watching the video, she painted herself as a victim pretty strongly imo and made it seem like all of Korea hated her (even though that seemed to be a slight exaggeration to say the least, most people seemingly have never heard of her even now)

At the end of the day I think the situation was that she requested a service for exposure using her status as an influencer and hoping it would be enough, then responded a bit rudely (at least my impression from the korean texts themselves not her rather inaccurate translation), then got publicly shamed for it and is now threatening lawsuits for "defamation" and feeling she did nothing wrong while painting all koreans as angry netizens. idk personally i find it pretty repugnant when one artist pulls this kind of crap with another artist--you likely struggled once too, you know how hard it is to make something creative and it shouldnt be viewed as free, so why do it now to another just because youre in a position of power? do you walk into restaurants and eat the food and say youll pay in exposure? (though actually that supposedly IS happening these days in korea)--and anyone who asks for work in exchange for "exposure" when they CAN afford to pay them (ie jake paul) is also pretty repugnant (and seeing as she has 500k subs on youtube and said she makes her living from it, she CAN afford to pay for a photographer). just because you can get away with doing shitty things, doesnt make the actions less shitty imo. honestly not surprised she got shamed for it, as its pretty common to shame people for this kind of thing and I feel like now she's making a mountain out of a relative molehill, as most people in korea still weren't aware of her and weren't talking about her and it would have gone away and since her followers seem to be mostly international anyways. Idk I have trouble feeling too much sympathy for her based on how much she manipulated the conversation and the fact that someone who has money basically requesting services for free because they're famous is wrong and will never not be wrong. 

also reminded me of this skit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMBnMtxhdzQ&t=

Posted

Does this girl count as a K-Vlogger?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASxfHbnzLNw 

She came up in my recommendations for some reason (which seems like it happened to a lot of people based on the comments on her video) and I was pretty surprised because I've never heard of her and don't watch the kind of videos she makes

And then also watching the video, she painted herself as a victim pretty strongly imo and made it seem like all of Korea hated her (even though that seemed to be a slight exaggeration to say the least, most people seemingly have never heard of her even now)

At the end of the day I think the situation was that she requested a service for exposure using her status as an influencer and hoping it would be enough, then responded a bit rudely (at least my impression from the korean texts themselves not her rather inaccurate translation), then got publicly shamed for it and is now threatening lawsuits for "defamation" and feeling she did nothing wrong while painting all koreans as angry netizens. idk personally i find it pretty repugnant when one artist pulls this kind of crap with another artist--you likely struggled once too, you know how hard it is to make something creative and it shouldnt be viewed as free, so why do it now to another just because youre in a position of power? do you walk into restaurants and eat the food and say youll pay in exposure? (though actually that supposedly IS happening these days in korea)--and anyone who asks for work in exchange for "exposure" when they CAN afford to pay them (ie jake paul) is also pretty repugnant (and seeing as she has 500k subs on youtube and said she makes her living from it, she CAN afford to pay for a photographer). just because you can get away with doing shitty things, doesnt make the actions less shitty imo. honestly not surprised she got shamed for it, as its pretty common to shame people for this kind of thing and I feel like now she's making a mountain out of a relative molehill, as most people in korea still weren't aware of her and weren't talking about her and it would have gone away and since her followers seem to be mostly international anyways. Idk I have trouble feeling too much sympathy for her based on how much she manipulated the conversation and the fact that someone who has money basically requesting services for free because they're famous is wrong and will never not be wrong. 

also reminded me of this skit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMBnMtxhdzQ&t=

damn, people are going IN on her in the comments. not only for victimizing herself but also for putting such a controversial title and making people think that she was being a victim of something bigger when its just the consequences of her actions catching up to her

Posted

damn, people are going IN on her in the comments. not only for victimizing herself but also for putting such a controversial title and making people think that she was being a victim of something bigger when its just the consequences of her actions catching up to her

that's funny because when I looked, most of the comments were like "ugh koreans are so sensitive" or "ugh this is why i dont want to go to korea" or "haters gonna hate" or "we'll always love you!!!!" or "how can anyone hate someone so beautiful? <3" all of which i found both annoying and ridiculous

but yeah as i said i dont really feel that bad for her because 1. most koreans have no idea who she is and 2. she did a shitty thing and got publicly shamed for it, and still seems to show no remorse (only remorse she got caught) and is now twisting the narrative to all of her non-korean speaking fans to make her seem like the victim of malicious attacks by the general korean population. so if people are now finally going in on her then im glad theyve finally caught on.

Posted (edited)

Anyone have any info in Sisel? Discovered her not too long ago and was trying to find the source of how she got to Korea. The oldest video she has up where she first goes is one where she talks about The Korean Bros sponsoring her to come stay with them? Like wtf. She was 17-18 at that time it seems. Aren’t they like late twenties now? Yikes.

Edit: holy shit. I did some digging. She was 17 turning 18 or 18 turning 19 when they paid for her to come to Korea and travel with them (like sleeping in same house/room) for no real reason at all except they thought she was pretty?? at least one of the Korean bros was 31 (!!) at this time. This was how she got her start. I swear every one of these girls has the shadiest beginnings.

What kind of parents are okay with this?!

Edited by PastelPotions

Posted

Anyone have any info in Sisel? Discovered her not too long ago and was trying to find the source of how she got to Korea. The oldest video she has up where she first goes is one where she talks about The Korean Bros sponsoring her to come stay with them? Like wtf. She was 17-18 at that time it seems. Aren’t they like late twenties now? Yikes.

Edit: holy shit. I did some digging. She was 17 turning 18 or 18 turning 19 when they paid for her to come to Korea and travel with them (like sleeping in same house/room) for no real reason at all except they thought she was pretty?? at least one of the Korean bros was 31 (!!) at this time. This was how she got her start. I swear every one of these girls has the shadiest beginnings.

What kind of parents are okay with this?!

She has her own thread https://prettyuglylittleliar.net/topic/919-sissel-ab/?page=1

Posted

Can someone help me understand what this is all about ? So much happening 

She was supposed to meet someone in LA but that person was in an accident and they couldn't meet so she's unhappy? 

Someone cussed her out on her socials? Did anyone see this? 

I don't follow this person but a  friend recommended her.. How old is she and Has she never left SK?? I went to LA last year and my friends did say there are a lot of fake people out there, I wasn't looking to make friends though so I'm OK.. All the things she's saying about people warning her about LA sound like my mum talking to me before I leave to go somewhere or me warning My baby sister about SK but only difference is we're black, careful in public bathrooms, check your hotel to make sure there are no cameras, don't go out at night or stay out too late, be aware of your surroundings  avoid drunk people, stay with your friends etc because I didn't have that great of an experience myself with the nightlife and it was very shocking to me