• Announcements

• *NEW* PULL FAQ   07/11/20

Hello. It has been a long time coming, but we finally have a PULL FAQ! In this FAQ you may find answers to most commonly asked questions here on the site. Please make sure to read the FAQ before asking a question in the Site Feedback (formerly the "Make Your Voice Heard") subforum as chances are your question has already been answered. If it has not been answered, then feel free to ask your question within the thread or make a new one with your question. The FAQ can be found in 2 locations: The News & Announcements section and the Site Feedback section. We hope this helps current and new users. Thank you.

ChoNunMigookSaram/Megan Bowen

1628 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't think the fact that she's trying to establish a long-term career in a country other than where she's from means she hates where she's from. Sure, she's profiting off the fantasy of life in Korea as a pretty & "exotic" foreigner (and with that comes a whole other bag of issues), but when you get that kind of treatment of course she'll want to stay. And I'm willing to bet that while she clearly gets a lot of stuff for free she doesn't have enough income/job stability to just fly home whenever she wants. Honestly if I was getting paid enough to live as well as she apparently does I'd stay long enough to enjoy it while I can, before having to settle down properly there or back home or wherever. Especially since sponsorships and whatnot will not last forever and without a real job she will have to go home eventually.

Posted (edited)

Edited by chaepopgyaru

Posted

You're right, it is very hard to draw the line between assimilating naturally and affecting an image. And a lot of people outside the situation pass judgment on where that line is. I think the very nature of living in Korea and being surrounded by "the norm" makes the situation quite different from non-Koreans outside Korea who are clearly koreaboos.

And also I have to agree about the isolated Itaewon expats. It's the foreigners who clearly don't even bother to learn Korean language or customs and spend most of their time among other foreigners that tend to get looked at critically, because they're the ones with the least social graces when interacting with Koreans and often come off as very rude because they haven't learned enough Korean social cues or even language. Most people don't give two shits about your makeup or fashion if you can be polite in a conversation and don't act like an "entitled individualist" in professional working situation.

If Megan has any problems it's that she's buying into and perpetuating the stereotype of the "cool foreigner who gets work and fame in Korea because of being a cool foreigner" but there's not really much anyone can do about that except not pursue that kind of a lifestyle. I don't really blame her for it though it does get a bit obnoxious sometimes because lately she seems less transparent about how her career works than she used to. But compared to other foreigners living and working and profiting off the "foreigner in Korea" identity, she's one of the ones that annoys me the least. People everyone try to look really cool and fancy on social media, she's no exception.

Honestly the thing that annoys me the most is her screenname/introductio.... like..... she knows better than that. It's grammatically incorrect and stinks of koreaboo and she could easily just go by her actual name. She could even introduce herself in Korean and English in the beginning of her videos if it really matters to her that much.

Posted

I agree with what's above, I don't think Megan's a koreaboo, but just a product of trying to adapt and adjust to her environment. there's a difference between a non-korean who is, say, living in America , who goes out of their way to buy Tony Moly and etude house, eat and rave about korean food and speaks in and try to interact with korean people and a non-korean in korea doing the same thing. Korea is her current place of residence, so it's not all that strange that she would pick up trends and mannerism specific to korea along the way. I just find it funny because ppl will drag ytbers like EYK for not being integrated enough, but then drag megan for actually putting in effort to do so. I don't get it.

I feel like that most dangerous part about her channel is that she's 'living the koreaboo dream' which encourages more koreaboos that if they could just get over to korea,they'd be famous and meet 'handsome oppas' (I'll always side eye the fck out of her DIP series). But then again, if that's her real life, what else is she expected to show.

Her video have gotten really boring recently though. It's seems as though she's completely run out of ideas.

Posted

Damn, didn't someone suspect she got a boob job

Posted

Damn, didn't someone suspect she got a boob job

Wow honestly I know that you will get a huge discount (or even free surgery) if you have a YouTube channel and promote the clinic there, but I would never be able to do that. I mean I'm happy for her for doing what she wants, but just the thought of documenting a boob job makes me anxious lol. But as long as she's happy then I'm happy.

By the way, the clinic she went to is blacklisted on some Korean sites. ID Hospital doesn't seem to be the best place for plastic surgery tbh, I'm no expert but according to my sources it's not a good clinic. I'm pretty shocked that she went with them and not another clinic. 

Posted

Hmm, I might watch this and redact my statement that she isn't being particularly forthcoming about her lifestyle.

Posted (edited)

The thing about these sponsorships that bother me is not the fact they accept them. If I got a free nose job offer I would take it as well. The thing that makes me cringe a little though is the fact that ID is not known for the best surgery, unlike what all these youtubers preach. ID in fact is known for working on foreign faces for little money. That's not a good reputation. There's a reason why it's mostly foreign youtubers going to ID.... because ID nationally doesn't have that great of a reputation. Idk little research would make that clear to these people and I would be reluctant to get free surgery from doctors whose reputation isn't good? idk. But oh well it's free surgery.

That "Are you supposed to put this in your mouth" though LOL

Edited by saltycookie

Posted

I feel that you should always tread with caution before agree to these types of procedures in general and always research!research! research! I worry about young Youtubers who quickly agree to plastic surgery for sponsorships. Also the little curl thing isn't work for me, it just makes her hair shorter and her face longer....(personal opinion) 

Posted

I feel that you should always tread with caution before agree to these types of procedures in general and always research!research! research! I worry about young Youtubers who quickly agree to plastic surgery for sponsorships. Also the little curl thing isn't work for me, it just makes her hair shorter and her face longer....(personal opinion) 

i actually kind of miss her longer and natural hair... The Bob is too short and isn't as flattering for her face. I'm glad the surery turned out well and she's happy about the boob job though.

Posted

i actually kind of miss her longer and natural hair... The Bob is too short and isn't as flattering for her face. I'm glad the surery turned out well and she's happy about the boob job though.

even though i do agree that it is too short,at least it looked better on that last video than usual

and i really like that make up and lenses she had on.glad she ditched the circle lenses and that aegyo sal thing

Posted

I don't think Korean style fashion/hair makeup looks good on her in general. she sort of looks likes a waxen doll or something. That trendy short bob is a haircut that barely flatters anyone and it doesn't work on her at all.

Posted

You feel everything, huh, Megan? Reaaaaaaally. You mean they did a block. Not uncommon practice, really. Unless it's explained elsewhere (I admittedly skipped ahead). 

Posted

On the boob job: good for her! I wish someone would pay me for a breast reduction! Props for her not going nuts on the size; from a practical standpoint if she went too wild she'd have a hard time finding clothes to fit (I know she once said it was hard to find pants that fit in Korean stores thanks to her western booty; can't even begin to imagine how difficult it would be to find shirts for large busts).

On Megan in general: I don't think she's changed THAT much from her early videos. Her image has changed and the production quality has improved. I think she's a bit more canny about what she films because she knows a) she is a public person now, even if only a wee tiny one and b) her income is tied into her persona - both on TV and on YT - so she has to do what every YTer does: selective, focused content that appeals to her target audience. For Megan, failing to get the formula right could result in some pretty hefty life altering issues (she has a very specific type of visa).

I do wish she'd film more videos about the language like back in the day. I find her easier to follow and understand when she explains the language and how it works. I really dislike the mukbang videos.

Posted

wow you guys made a good points of view about her :alpacacrush:

i will give my own perspective view on this i liked megan a lot until ...she has changed ..her attitude has changed she became more koreanized , her personality became more on the " pushy " side and the fact that she stopped teaching just to be a youtuber just disappointed me 

5643f4.thumb.png.64f60a1ffc805e28c56cb39

and am i the only one noticing that she edits her legs ? like her i know she has some darn curvy legs so its really hard for me to see her legs as skinny looking .....or maybe the composition of the camera are different ....

Her legs look like that because of her leg muscles. Her legs are very toned and muscular. It's not photoshop. Damn I made an account here just to say they're not photoshopped haha. But anyway I'm not her fan but I don't hate her either. I'm just lurking here haha.