• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

ChoNunMigookSaram/Megan Bowen

1631 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Isn't plastic surgery like way cheaper in South Korea than it is in the US? But even then with those risks I'd be terrified to do it even if I had the money for it. :alpacaworry:

Usually facial surgeries are mega cheap (eyelid, nose, lips, botox, etc), but I'm not too sure about the for the rest of the body.  BiiBiiBeauty (Brownyn?) went to Laprin for implants and it was $8,000 I believe.

Megan said she'll make a video about the surgery, and she might say the price - she's pretty honest about stuff but who knows. She does TV entertainment so she could be making decent money.

Even though I really like her honesty and transparency, I wish she didn't fall into the Korean plastic surgery hole. It feels like once someone starts doing it, they don't stop (like Brownyn for example, she started with boobs too and then started getting work done on her face). Megan is already naturally pretty, so I hope she doesn't do anything to her face. But that's just me lol

Edited by Athena

Posted (edited)

Guess who's started vlogging?

Is it me or did she appear to blow off JheartsJ at the party...?

I noticed that too. I remember looking at the comments on Youtube to see if anyone else noticed it, but I didn't see anything. I noticed on both their instagrams they posted a picture with each other along with a few other people included. 

Also, I was curious as to why when Miles and Tima were in Korea they hung out separately with Jenny (JheartsJ) and Megan. I figured maybe conflicting schedules, but I can't say for sure. Either way, I really like Jenny's channel. I also like Megan's, but I have been following JheartsJ longer, lol.

Edited by Auroraa

Posted (edited)

A previous poster (1st page) said he's engaged to a Korean girl. She posted about it crying on snapchat. But someone involved in Megan's circle claimed that Megan stole him from his gf....? We don't have enough details 

they are still dating i know this because i was told she he picked her up at the hospital after she got breast augmentation a few minths back

Usually facial surgeries are mega cheap (eyelid, nose, lips, botox, etc), but I'm not too sure about the for the rest of the body.  BiiBiiBeauty (Brownyn?) went to Laprin for implants and it was $8,000 I believe.

Megan said she'll make a video about the surgery, and she might say the price - she's pretty honest about stuff but who knows. She does TV entertainment so she could be making decent money.

Even though I really like her honesty and transparency, I wish she didn't fall into the Korean plastic surgery hole. It feels like once someone starts doing it, they don't stop (like Brownyn for example, she started with boobs too and then started getting work done on her face). Megan is already naturally pretty, so I hope she doesn't do anything to her face. But that's just me lol

i know 100% that megan got her surgeries for free , the hospital sponsred her and im very sure that biibiibeauty also got her surgeries sponsored

Well she got face slimmed down recently because she got some sort of "lighter" boob plastic surgery recently where they take out fat from your body and pump it into your boobs. She said she didn't have much fat so they took some from her cheeks and lower back (this was all on snapchat). She said she's gonna make a video about it soon.

Even though I don't like her much, I really appreciate and like her honesty and transparency about the procedures she's done compared to other vloggers who just hide it.

she is only doing a video about cz her surgery is sponsored, and now that the hospital is failing in the eng department i heard she will not be doing anymore surgeries there

Back to Megan...

I think she would achieve a lot more if she just acted herself instead of trying to be a Korean woman impostor. 

My above statement is not about her skin tone, but I think viewers "trust" and "enjoy" information/content if they believe it's not coming from a black person. Face it, unless you're African American, you might not know Megan is black. That works to her advantage. There are other kvloggers who have/had more interesting content than her with equal/more superior Korean language skills (CharlyCheer, JHJ) who don't get anywhere near the same views or followers. 

But I digress.

I enjoyed her earlier videos, but now I think she's imitating instead of integrating. I'm also a black woman who's a little younger than Megan and has lived abroad in East Asia for about the same length of time as her. I've picked up some habits from the culture around me, totally love the food, ect. but aside from being able to communicate in the local language, I'm still who I was before I left my home country...and I think people abroad find that charming. If you're a long-timer, people expect you to have learned the social aspects of their culture, but they enjoy the part of you that's so different from them.

In regards to relationships, I think men approach foreign women because they *expect* them to be different...not a clone or a wannabe version of the women in their country. I think many Korean men are certainly attracted to Megan, but her imitative behavior turns them off. 

My point is that I believe Megan thinks being her good ol' self is not enough. She has to style herself like a Korean woman and she has to drop enough vernacular in every video to remind us that she's black. She has the platform and the opportunity to make interesting videos, but she allows the Koreaboos to dictate her content.

After the Jun situation, it's clear she wants a partner...maybe if she acted more like her self, she'd be more appealing to serious men. She's gorgeous, but people look for character as well. I don't think she's a bad person, but I don't think you need to know someone personally to tell that they're not acting themselves...

The Jun incident also makes me seriously question her level of judgement. I'm not generalizing, but with the popularity of K-pop, Korean men know foreign women are more interested in them. Plus he's a body builder...I mean, did she *really* expect anything serious from him...? (And his weird, shopped af Instagram photos should have been a turn off to her...so I suppose I question her taste as well).

Not a big deal, but I also wonder if there's any bad blood between her and other black kvloggers (like Whitney & JHJ)...kinda strange to me that they've never collabed and when Miles was in Korea they hung out with him separately. 

I wish she's do more dance+OOTD videos, those were cute imo. 

i totally agree with you about her judgment in men especially after what he did she is actually still with him i know this cz i was told he came to pick her up after her breast augmentation 

Edited by Tay

Posted

A comment slipping through bc I haven't read all these pages yet.

I have always found her annoying (screamy loud attitude in videos, can't stand it) and I had a discussion about her (and Korea-based youtubers in general) with some of my Korean friends and I noticed they all disliked her.  Don't shoot the messenger but I'll list a few things from what I can remember;

• She gives off the idea she speaks fluent Korean but she doesn't, yet she teaches her viewers butchered Korean. (seems to be the number 1 bother amongst many Koreans I know nowadays)
  • She is definitely a weeb but she gets away with it because she's black
  • She pulls the "I'm black!!" card to distance herself from other weebs (read: katieaegi type) and to make herself look more snowflakey/special
  • She makes a living off making videos about living in Korea, making Korea seem like this utopia/odd place
    --> Koreans wouldn't get the kind of attention she gets for just living in Korea --> They're annoyed (read next •)
  • She's just another foreigner who came as an English teacher
  • and now is doing basically nothing productive/useful in Korea other than fulfilling her weeb dreams
  • She just stimulates other weebs honestly

There are so many screenshots of this conversation but I don't feel like blurring out all names so I'll just stick to these few things I remember. Idk. Maybe not unimportant to think of the Korean POV as well. 

Posted

In one of her latest videos "Stuff I Stopped Doing in Korea" she mention assimilating to Korea, which is fine to a certain extent, however I think she took it waayy to far.

Posted

In one of her latest videos "Stuff I Stopped Doing in Korea" she mention assimilating to Korea, which is fine to a certain extent, however I think she took it waayy to far.

I think she forget's when it comes to assimilation you only assimilate to things that are considered quite important to most ppl in society. Giving up you individuality is not assimilation it's turning into a robot with nothing unique about yourself

Posted (edited)

Edited by *

Posted

"Stuff I stopped doing in Korea AKA stuff I saw a few Korean people do so I changed my way of doing it because thats apparently what ALL Korean people do!"

Also, is it me or do all of her vids talk about the same thing? __insert korean thing___ she didn't get, BUT EVERYTHING JUST MAKES TOTAL SENSE TO DO IT BECAUSE DUHHH YOU'VE GOT TO INTERGRATE YOURSELF I MEAN THERE IS NO OTHER WAY BUT THE KOREAN WAY! We get it, you're Soooooooo totes Korean now Megan!

Posted

So she tends to bring up not having celvage in Korea to not be offensive but I feel like it isnt as bad as she says it is anymore. Ive seen bralettes coming into fashion more and more over there (usually under a see through shirt or its a busiter like the ones in Chuu) but it's still not as "booby" as here in the states. Does anyone who lives in Korea right now know if it's really true that celvage is this horrible taboo or is it just that its no where near as much shown as in  America?  Like is it actually to the extent she says or is it another generalization ? I saw a crap ton of them there when I was there in the Spring. 

Posted

So she tends to bring up not having celvage in Korea to not be offensive but I feel like it isnt as bad as she says it is anymore. Ive seen bralettes coming into fashion more and more over there (usually under a see through shirt or its a busiter like the ones in Chuu) but it's still not as "booby" as here in the states. Does anyone who lives in Korea right now know if it's really true that celvage is this horrible taboo or is it just that its no where near as much shown as in  America?  Like is it actually to the extent she says or is it another generalization ? I saw a crap ton of them there when I was there in the Spring. 

From what my Korean friends have told me it's taboo in the workplace and among older citizens who still find many things taboo. Of course most women, they told me, don't show cleavage it's not uncommon to see it as opposed to before. Idk i think she's taking assimilation too far and does not have a firm grasp on Korean culture and customs. This gives me a Mira sort of find tbh

Posted (edited)

I think it's ridiculous to compare her to Mira, but she's definitely still cringey. I don't like the way that she bills herself as this "authority" on all things Korean. She projects a friendly vibe in her videos, but I can't help but think that she's somewhat mean and divaish in person. The title of her Fall look book (with the #squadgoals in it) bothered me...I mean, I hate the phrase to begin with, but who labels their OWN group as "squad goals"? :notimp: 

Edited by nicotine

Posted (edited)

I live in Korea and cleavage is a bit taboo, it's kinda a joke among foreigners that's perfectly ok to wear shorts/skirts up to your dinkydoo, but showing boobage is not common lol. My (korean) boyfriend says its just simply because Korean girls typically have really small chests so there's not much to show anyways so why bother. So I think it's a mixture of the two opinions. But if you're foreigner, you can get away with it, no one cares.

Megan never made the video about her mini boob surgery so not sure what it was like for her.

And yea I'm so jealous of her apartment, she got the 5 star of small apartments in Korea.

Also I went to the vegan festival with some friends in October and crossed her path a few times. None of my friends, korean and foreigner, knew who she was lol. I was kinda embarrassed that I was the only one. She's actually pretty big, obviously not fat, but she's pretty tall and thick - so her short bob hairstyle doesn't suit her imo. Also, she was pretty easy to spot in a crowd, her clothes kinda come off customy lol. In my opinion, she looks prettier in photos, she's looks hella average/normal in person.

Edited by Athena

Posted

Isn't plastic surgery like way cheaper in South Korea than it is in the US? But even then with those risks I'd be terrified to do it even if I had the money for it. :alpacaworry:

this is probably a dumb question but how life threatening are boob jobs? 

Posted

I live in Korea and cleavage is a bit taboo, it's kinda a joke among foreigners that's perfectly ok to wear shorts/skirts up to your dinkydoo, but showing boobage is not common lol. My (korean) boyfriend says its just simply because Korean girls typically have really small chests so there's not much to show anyways so why bother. So I think it's a mixture of the two opinions. But if you're foreigner, you can get away with it, no one cares.

Megan never made the video about her mini boob surgery so not sure what it was like for her.

And yea I'm so jealous of her apartment, she got the 5 star of small apartments in Korea.

Also I went to the vegan festival with some friends in October and crossed her path a few times. None of my friends, korean and foreigner, knew who she was lol. I was kinda embarrassed that I was the only one. She's actually pretty big, obviously not fat, but she's pretty tall and thick - so her short bob hairstyle doesn't suit her imo. Also, she was pretty easy to spot in a crowd, her clothes kinda come off customy lol. In my opinion, she looks prettier in photos, she's looks hella average/normal in person.

I knee the clevage vd legs thing but i wasnt sure if it was as bad as she says it is. To me it just sounds (based off what you guys said) like the US before the average cup size did that huge jump. Crop tops/midriff used to be considered "trampy" here that's  just a piece of your torso showings.

Posted

We also have to remember that compared to 8-9 years back, it's not as common or in fashion to wear tank tops are low cut shirts that show off cleavage. It's not super taboo or anything for younger people (even less if you are a foreigner), it's just that nobody wears that because other things aren't in style. Tbh, wearing low cut shirts/tanks is so 2006-2008 to me (I'm cringing thinking of my middle school wardrobe lol)And It's just that in Korea, spaghetti strap tanks have always been seen as undershirts, so it's weird to go out in just one of those. Also, didn't she come to Korea in like 2010? Meaning her last taste of 'American fashion' was around that time anyways. Plus her sense of fashion wasn't ever all that great to begin with.

It's not like Korean girls don't care about showing off boobies, they just do it in other ways (tight shirts with bombshell bras, etc) so idk why Megan makes it seem like Korean are choosing not to show off the goods. Pics for reference, since I saw girls dressed like this all of the time in the summer.

ex2.thumb.gif.49d03edb8f203853013ea02767ex1.thumb.jpg.4429fd231e4b2808fdfd5e5c7f