• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

ChoNunMigookSaram/Megan Bowen

1474 posts in this topic

Posted

Yes, it's a thing in minority communities and cultures, and, also, many Asian cultures as well. It has historically been associated with upper class and nobles because they spent less time outdoors working in the fields. Now it is more commonly associated with the idea of whiteness in parts of the western world. 

The tricky thing is when you get people like Megan who are on the very fair end of a ethnic spectrum and, as @BB-8 mentioned, are given some benefits that wouldn't be available to others in their ethnic group. Of topic, but not, I am a Latinx who is not only fairer skinned but also have facial characteristics more closely related to Europeans. Most people think I'm white, yet I am Latinx and don't deny being part of that community. Regardless of how I feel or present myself, I am aware that I am given better treatment and am subject to less prejudice than most Lantixs. But, just because the world doesn't always know or gives me more chances because of that doesn't make me any less Latinx. Megan, being very fair skinned black has experienced some of that preferential treatment- even if she doesn't realize it.  But it doesn't make her any less black.

what privilege do you get from being light skinned?

Posted

There's a whole bunch of beauty brands that operate on monetizing the idea that pale skin is better. 

Screen_shot_2016-08-03_at_11.49.09_AM.th

^^^which eventually caused that campaign "Unfair and Lovely" which promoted people loving their dark skin.
Plus there's so many celebrities like Lil Kim who have bleached their skin because of the stigma that darker skin is inferior. 

Posted

There's a whole bunch of beauty brands that operate on monetizing the idea that pale skin is better. 

Screen_shot_2016-08-03_at_11.49.09_AM.th

^^^which eventually caused that campaign "Unfair and Lovely" which promoted people loving their dark skin.
Plus there's so many celebrities like Lil Kim who have bleached their skin because of the stigma that darker skin is inferior. 

That's sad, and I just wanted to know the whole stigma around the being light thing meant. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass or anything. And now that I think about Megan does have a lot of advantages due to her being light and living in Korea. 

Posted (edited)

what privilege do you get from being light skinned?

There are a lot of ways that you benefit from being lighter skinned, and other posters have provided some good examples. Going down this road of answering your questions any further would be off topic for this board, so I will suggest that you do some research on your own or PM any of us who have responded to you so far.

There is a ton written on this subject, and to try and summarize these things into a single post doesn't do justice to any of our experiences or the focus of this board, Megan Bowen. 

Edited by MayAllYourBaconBurn

Posted

Back to Megan...

I think she would achieve a lot more if she just acted herself instead of trying to be a Korean woman impostor. 

My above statement is not about her skin tone, but I think viewers "trust" and "enjoy" information/content if they believe it's not coming from a black person. Face it, unless you're African American, you might not know Megan is black. That works to her advantage. There are other kvloggers who have/had more interesting content than her with equal/more superior Korean language skills (CharlyCheer, JHJ) who don't get anywhere near the same views or followers. 

But I digress.

I enjoyed her earlier videos, but now I think she's imitating instead of integrating. I'm also a black woman who's a little younger than Megan and has lived abroad in East Asia for about the same length of time as her. I've picked up some habits from the culture around me, totally love the food, ect. but aside from being able to communicate in the local language, I'm still who I was before I left my home country...and I think people abroad find that charming. If you're a long-timer, people expect you to have learned the social aspects of their culture, but they enjoy the part of you that's so different from them.

In regards to relationships, I think men approach foreign women because they *expect* them to be different...not a clone or a wannabe version of the women in their country. I think many Korean men are certainly attracted to Megan, but her imitative behavior turns them off. 

My point is that I believe Megan thinks being her good ol' self is not enough. She has to style herself like a Korean woman and she has to drop enough vernacular in every video to remind us that she's black. She has the platform and the opportunity to make interesting videos, but she allows the Koreaboos to dictate her content.

After the Jun situation, it's clear she wants a partner...maybe if she acted more like her self, she'd be more appealing to serious men. She's gorgeous, but people look for character as well. I don't think she's a bad person, but I don't think you need to know someone personally to tell that they're not acting themselves...

The Jun incident also makes me seriously question her level of judgement. I'm not generalizing, but with the popularity of K-pop, Korean men know foreign women are more interested in them. Plus he's a body builder...I mean, did she *really* expect anything serious from him...? (And his weird, shopped af Instagram photos should have been a turn off to her...so I suppose I question her taste as well).

Not a big deal, but I also wonder if there's any bad blood between her and other black kvloggers (like Whitney & JHJ)...kinda strange to me that they've never collabed and when Miles was in Korea they hung out with him separately. 

I wish she's do more dance+OOTD videos, those were cute imo. 

Posted

Back to Megan...

I think she would achieve a lot more if she just acted herself instead of trying to be a Korean woman impostor. 

My above statement is not about her skin tone, but I think viewers "trust" and "enjoy" information/content if they believe it's not coming from a black person. Face it, unless you're African American, you might not know Megan is black. That works to her advantage. There are other kvloggers who have/had more interesting content than her with equal/more superior Korean language skills (CharlyCheer, JHJ) who don't get anywhere near the same views or followers. 

But I digress.

I enjoyed her earlier videos, but now I think she's imitating instead of integrating. I'm also a black woman who's a little younger than Megan and has lived abroad in East Asia for about the same length of time as her. I've picked up some habits from the culture around me, totally love the food, ect. but aside from being able to communicate in the local language, I'm still who I was before I left my home country...and I think people abroad find that charming. If you're a long-timer, people expect you to have learned the social aspects of their culture, but they enjoy the part of you that's so different from them.

In regards to relationships, I think men approach foreign women because they *expect* them to be different...not a clone or a wannabe version of the women in their country. I think many Korean men are certainly attracted to Megan, but her imitative behavior turns them off. 

My point is that I believe Megan thinks being her good ol' self is not enough. She has to style herself like a Korean woman and she has to drop enough vernacular in every video to remind us that she's black. She has the platform and the opportunity to make interesting videos, but she allows the Koreaboos to dictate her content.

After the Jun situation, it's clear she wants a partner...maybe if she acted more like her self, she'd be more appealing to serious men. She's gorgeous, but people look for character as well. I don't think she's a bad person, but I don't think you need to know someone personally to tell that they're not acting themselves...

The Jun incident also makes me seriously question her level of judgement. I'm not generalizing, but with the popularity of K-pop, Korean men know foreign women are more interested in them. Plus he's a body builder...I mean, did she *really* expect anything serious from him...? (And his weird, shopped af Instagram photos should have been a turn off to her...so I suppose I question her taste as well).

Not a big deal, but I also wonder if there's any bad blood between her and other black kvloggers (like Whitney & JHJ)...kinda strange to me that they've never collabed and when Miles was in Korea they hung out with him separately. 

I saw Whitney and I just want to know is their a thread about her? Her aegyo act makes me cringe and I lowkey feel like she wants to be Korean, but obviously her darker skin tone conflicts with that. 

Posted

Back to Megan...

But I digress.

Its hard though, no? I feel like they like you as a novelty if you're not staying there long, but eventually they want you to adopt to their culture but at the same time, not accepting you.

And that dude was on steroids..

Posted

Its hard though, no? I feel like they like you as a novelty if you're not staying there long, but eventually they want you to adopt to their culture but at the same time, not accepting you.
And that dude was on steroids..

I can't speak about Korea, but trust me, there are good ones out there. I've met guys who don't mention my skin color at all, take time for me to express my thoughts since they know I'm not a native speaker, ect. Where I am, I notice guys like to know how long I'm staying early on, and I think the fact that I'd like to be abroad for the long haul is appealing to them. There are some who see foreign girls as a novelty, there are some who want to say "yo, yo, yo" to me because I'm black (lol), but unless your in denial they're pretty easy to spot...then you make it clear to gtf away from you. :alpacabored:

Posted

I can't speak about Korea, but trust me, there are good ones out there. I've met guys who don't mention my skin color at all, take time for me to express my thoughts since they know I'm not a native speaker, ect. Where I am, I notice guys like to know how long I'm staying early on, and I think the fact that I'd like to be abroad for the long haul is appealing to them. There are some who see foreign girls as a novelty, there are some who want to say "yo, yo, yo" to me because I'm black (lol), but unless your in denial they're pretty easy to spot...then you make it clear to gtf away from you. :alpacabored:

I have watched videos on Youtube of Black Youtubers in Korea, and one girl said she got followed home and it scared me quite a bit 

Posted

Is it just me, or is her 'KBox' hella expensive? Even with shipping included...

Posted (edited)

Is it just me, or is her 'KBox' hella expensive? Even with shipping included...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZQsOe8ZlcOI

According to the video above, she's trying to get into market/business, so gotta take advantage of the Koreaboos and have them pay for overpriced makeup. But according to the comments on the video where she introduces the box, it's a fair price. (I dunno).

Edited by nicotine

Posted

IMO megan's choice of makeup style doesn't really suit her face... not gonna lie.so she's not the best person to make/assemble a kbox... whatever that is.  the brows they're ok even if they're hella straight but the white/pearly shadow in the aegyo-sal is just a no...I mean yeah it makes her eyes look "adorable" but it looks kind of off on her face... 

Posted

I think her makeup looks a bit better here. 
Off topic, but I hate that lip tint pack :alpacaworry2: , I do not recommend getting it.

Also, she now has a k-box :alpacaworry:, which is currently sold out.
I wanted to check the price cause a lot of the items in the box are relatively cheap (I actually purchased some of these items in Korea as well). The most expensive items in that box would be the lip tint pack and the face mask. 

What do you guys think??

Posted

Well for why she looks lighter in some pictures filters can make someone who is a light tan (like me)  stark white.  Also she may have experienced the whole "you're a light skinned bitch", "you're not a black person" , "you're not black enough" type of stuff that a lot of light skinned blacks go through from our own community due to slave mentality. So maybe she's embraced Korean make up more since not only she lives there but to find a spot to fit in?  You tend to be looked down on for having light skin (especially from black females)  and given a hard time since you fit the "European " standard more that's been placed on us for centuries.  You tend to never feel like you belong so maybe it's her way of belonging in a certain fashion?  Idk how to explain it very well.