• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

ChoNunMigookSaram/Megan Bowen

1474 posts in this topic

Posted

I think Jun just used Megan for followers :alpacabored: the post isn't on his IG no more, but back then he proudly posted a pic with Megan and thanking her, that he got 700 more followers since she posted a pic with him..so i guess he thought he would get more fame through her 

Posted

new video : 

even while i was searching for the video of "boyfriend tag "  the video was removed .

Posted

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate hate hate her intro but I don't mind the rest of the videos.

Her intro is the cringiest thing ever :alpacadone: 

Posted (edited)

New video:

I found it kinda ironic how right when we mention her skin lightning here, she now suddenly made a video addressing it, so I wanted to share : P

Edited by Serenity

Posted

^oh honey... I'm not faulting you for being lighter. heck why would you almost apologize for wearing sunscreen? well I was browsing tumblr (god bless tumblr people) but people-- mostly POC are saying you're using your skin color to your advantage in SK.  so... I mean, I don't know where to place myself in the argument if i'm being frank right now...

Posted

Can people stop saying Megan is white passing. She isn't. Both me and megan have similar skin tones (although she is a few shades lighter) but her hair is more course than mine (nappy as we say). She lools racially ambiguousp, buf defo NOT white passing. 

Posted

Can people stop saying Megan is white passing. She isn't. Both me and megan have similar skin tones (although she is a few shades lighter) but her hair is more course than mine (nappy as we say). She lools racially ambiguousp, buf defo NOT white passing. 

Well in the eyes of the black community she is very,very close. Colorism is still one of many issues that many Poc face today. Although I don't think Megan struggles with her African American identity, I think she is very comfortable and knows who she is. I just think that South Korea and most Asian countries beauty standers tend to bring up bad memories of the past for American POC.

Posted

I never thought she was white passing, when I first began watching her she wasn't as pale and still somewhat had her original hair texture, now she could honestly pass as half Korean if she wanted to because of her eye make up and how light she's gotten. I don't see a problem with it, but I just find it a bit strange how her appearance has changed over time. Seems like she's adjusting to the beauty standards of South Korea. 

Posted

The way she says her name is wrong and whenever someone tells her it's wrong she gets defensive 

(This is knowkage  from my friend btw )

Also when you live in a country where beauty ideals is so different from where you are from you tend t try and fit in by copying their makeup. She  might just be trying to fit in, but personally I think she's trying to look asian because you can't even tell where she's from

Posted

Well in the eyes of the black community she is very,very close. Colorism is still one of many issues that many Poc face today. Although I don't think Megan struggles with her African American identity, I think she is very comfortable and knows who she is. I just think that South Korea and most Asian countries beauty standers tend to bring up bad memories of the past for American POC.

in the eyes of the black community? I'm black and if any of my family members saw her they'd think she has black in her or is latina... Colorism is an issue but 'white passing' is someone who could pass as white, something I don't think she would (in the U.S). 

Posted

in the eyes of the black community? I'm black and if any of my family members saw her they'd think she has black in her or is latina... Colorism is an issue but 'white passing' is someone who could pass as white, something I don't think she would (in the U.S). 

I was speaking on the behalf of her overall privilege of being a "light skinned" black girl. Her ethnicity could be afro/ anything but that's not the main point. For example the paper bag test, where you had to be lighter than the bag in order to join certain clubs or churches etc. Megan would automatically be accepted do to the color of her skin.From what I can see I still  believe that  Megan does not have the Sara Jane issue from the movie The Imitation of Life  where Sara Jane who was indeed white passing struggled with her Afro-American identity. However I do wonder that maybe the reason she switches back and forth with AAVES is that she wants her viewers to remember that she's still black and part of the community. Growing up I was told that I wasn't the "right type of black" because I didn't use AAVE nor was I into rap music etc. It can make you feel ostracized for being different and with everything else going on in the world the lasting you want to be is left out of a group.  

Posted

I was speaking on the behalf of her overall privilege of being a "light skinned" black girl. Her ethnicity could be afro/ anything but that's not the main point. For example the paper bag test, where you had to be lighter than the bag in order to join certain clubs or churches etc. Megan would automatically be accepted do to the color of her skin.From what I can see I still  believe that  Megan does not have the Sara Jane issue from the movie The Imitation of Life  where Sara Jane who was indeed white passing struggled with her Afro-American identity. However I do wonder that maybe the reason she switches back and forth with AAVES is that she wants her viewers to remember that she's still black and part of the community. Growing up I was told that I wasn't the "right type of black" because I didn't use AAVE nor was I into rap music etc. It can make you feel ostracized for being different and with everything else going on in the world the lasting you want to be is left out of a group.  

I'm sorry light skinned privilege? Haha, are you kidding me?

Posted

It certainly exists, just as colorism exists... ¬¬

Posted

Yes, it's a thing in minority communities and cultures, and, also, many Asian cultures as well. It has historically been associated with upper class and nobles because they spent less time outdoors working in the fields. Now it is more commonly associated with the idea of whiteness in parts of the western world. 

The tricky thing is when you get people like Megan who are on the very fair end of a ethnic spectrum and, as @BB-8 mentioned, are given some benefits that wouldn't be available to others in their ethnic group. Of topic, but not, I am a Latinx who is not only fairer skinned but also have facial characteristics more closely related to Europeans. Most people think I'm white, yet I am Latinx and don't deny being part of that community. Regardless of how I feel or present myself, I am aware that I am given better treatment and am subject to less prejudice than most Lantixs. But, just because the world doesn't always know or gives me more chances because of that doesn't make me any less Latinx. Megan, being very fair skinned black has experienced some of that preferential treatment- even if she doesn't realize it.  But it doesn't make her any less black.

Posted (edited)

Yeah she's even done a video talking about how people in Korea don't believe she's black because of her skin tone.

Edited by shinji