• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

ChoNunMigookSaram/Megan Bowen

1474 posts in this topic

Posted

at least she admits not being asian? i just started watching her recently because she randomly showed up in my recommended. i stopped somewhat quick lol :alpacaworry: 

she's lightening her skin tho that's kinda off :Alpacamad:

Posted (edited)

I think what @my melody was trying to say, (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that Megan looks white to most people in South Korea, and Megan knows she looks white to most people (probably a good portion from the United States as well). 

I understood what she was trying to say. I just found it interesting how people from S.korea would consider her *White* when some, not all, people in the US would not. To me she resembles Maya Rudolph, and Traci Ross to an extent, and when I saw her, I knew she had a black parent, same with Megan.

I'am speaking for myself in terms of who I consider white passing, but the entire definition of it is when one believes they are 100% that race and can pass without questioning one's background. I think of  people like Wentworth Miller, Nicole Ritchie, Stephen Graham, or
I can understand people thinking Nicole Ritchie and Rashida Jones(actually...depending on her look, one can sorta tell she has Black in her) etc for a more detailed list I would never have known they had a Black grandparent if it was not shared and believed they were straight up White.

Edited by yourfavoritevillagetruther

Posted

bboong pretty much summarised what bothers me about her.The whole "so into korean things" and the make up that honestly doesn't suit her at all.And that high pitched way of speaking that sounds so fake like she tries to fit in by doing it

Posted

I'd seen a couple of her videos in my recommended feed after getting a bit into K-Pop and I was always a bit weary about it. Probably because I already went through the same song and dance while watching J-Vloggers that I could already kinda see the whole 'so into Korean things' from back when I constantly watched people who were 'so into Japanese things'. Some of her old videos that I've seen now honestly are a bit more interesting but she (like a lot of other foreign vloggers) end up with that problem that as they live longer in said country and continue making videos things get kinda....same-y. 

though i admit it was kinda cute seeing koreans trying to pronounce western names.

Posted

there are youtubers such as Korean Englishman and The World of Dave that are popular with Korean audiences but the different between them and Megan is that their actual target audience is Koreans wanting to know more about foreign cultures. Megan makes pretty much all of her videos in English and they're aimed at people interested in Korean culture. If she wanted to become more popular within the Korean industry then she should make videos in Korean with Korean titles and have them be about American culture.

I don't think she'll really get that popular unless she changes her video styles but that wouldn't happen because the majority of her audience are people interested in Korea and not natives.

In general, I really enjoy watching her vlogs where she goes to interesting places and tries unique food etc but thats pretty much the only ones I like

Posted (edited)

Person who lives in Korea chiming in (currently in the States on vacation)

Megan is to people who live in Korea as to what I imagine it must feel like to watch Mira and live in Japan. We get it, you are sooooo ~integrated~. The whole Kvlogging scene is like a pissing contest. EYK does it, Megan does it, Hallyback does it, etc. It's just a way to shove it in your face that  THEY  aren't like those  OTHER DIRTY FOREIGNERS!! 

"I soooooo eat Korean side dishes and make kimchi myself!! I have my own recipe! I always use the ~KOREAN~ way of doing '_____'!! A lot of foreigners don't like '_____' but I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF IT! *stresses the pronunciation of a Korean word to show that you can speak Korean* "

I took me a while to get over this mentality. Like I had to be ashamed of the fact that I didn't want to do something the Korean way. I found myself almost...idk the word...ashamed of myself? if I wanted to watch an American movie. Or if the majority of my groceries were western foods and imported things. Or if I wanted to buy higher quality western makeup like MAC or Urban Decay over low quality Etude House makeup (Sorry if you guys are fans, but I'm a makeup enthusiast and it's just my opinion on EH) I kind of felt like I should just 'make it work' because thats what other Korean girls were doing. It's almost toxic in a way. Like you find yourself judging people and feeling like you have to 'out Korean them'. I would watch something like Non-Summit, and then binge study for hours because in my mind I 'had to be better than them!'. Megan gives me this kind of vibe, and honestly it's why I can't stand her videos. I'm sure she is a good person outside of Youtube, but her on camera persona just grates my nerves

I also remember her being so much more tolerable, and to be quite honest, more attractive? Because she actually was catering to her natural features. She looks so much better with her natural hair, and without the puppy dog makeup and overdoing the aegyo-sal line on her eyes. She looks so washed out with her current makeup style and her fashion...girl needs some help. People may claim she's just into 'Korean fashion', but she hardly follows current trends and claims she does. She's got a great body from pole dancing, I just wish she would work with it. If she wants to go with Korean fashion trends, there are plenty of other things that are actually...you know...trendy? And would look great on her.

And it seems like she wants so badly to be a part of the entertainment industry, but there really is anything that makes her standout? It sucks, but when a foreigner breaks out into the Korean industry, they have to have a gimmick. The guys with the big personality traits on Non-summit are the ones that get the airtime/the commercial deals/etc. Yet she almost hides her actual personality in order to behave more 'Korean' on TV. I just don't see her getting very far. A lot of foreigners go on TV multiple times, but they never get the fame they are after. At most they get a season of a kind of popular variety show, and then are never seen again.

And I also feel that because she was always second banana to EYK (according to Koreaboos) she was always considered in a higher regard for speaking Korean (Because EYK really can't speak Korean. Besides ordering food and knowing super basic stuff, their Korean skills are embarrassingly low for people who lived there for 7 years. I don't even think they could hold a coversation. Sorry EYK fans), but she isn't amazingly fluent like everybody claims. We seem to be around the same level-ish. But like me, she was blessed with good pronunciation, so people tend to think we are super fluent and native-like when we really aren't. It's like what Gimmeaflakeman once said, "If you actually speak Japanese, you'd know that I'm not really that good. It's just that nobody here speaks Japanese, so I look better by comparison."

Sorry if I'm overly critical, I feel like ranting more on PULL these days :harharplz:

Also, I wonder if any of you living in Japan feel this way when watching Jvloggers? Especially the 'big dogs', like Mira, Sharla, etc.

(also sorry for any typos, my keyboard is screwed up)

Yes I agree with you and everything you said. When I visited/lived Japan, I tried to do everything the Japanese way, but it was hard as time went on. I think its normal to think or behave this way cause these are societies where the "other" following the Japanese proverb "The nail that sticks out gets hammered down".  Granted we're talking about S.Korea here and I believe they're the same in that regard to that philosophy.  Regardless, I understand that no one is the same, but there are unspoken social/cultural norms that if you deter away from, you would be met with resistance from one's peers which extends to mannerisms and looks. As a natural outsider that can't blend in, you do  get tired of being the "foreigner" and want to be treated like a normal person.

I do agree that I think she needs better make up to bring out her features and to stop going for the S.Korean Pale Beauty look...(But can you blame her? Even Kpop idols use whiter makeup that's not even the same as their skin tone..)

As for her Fashion, I still think she dresses better than her jvlog counterparts but it depends on the outfit.

For Example: This outfit? HELL NO, but this one? It works

I seriously need to get into pole dancing to develop my upper body....it seems to have done this lady wonders.

Regardless, her fan base is koreaboos...so even if I think she's pretty, she's not doing anything worth defending.

And rant away. Some of my comments have been extra mean today for personal reasons...

Edited by yourfavoritevillagetruther

Posted

wow you guys made a good points of view about her :alpacacrush:

i will give my own perspective view on this i liked megan a lot until ...she has changed ..her attitude has changed she became more koreanized , her personality became more on the " pushy " side and the fact that she stopped teaching just to be a youtuber just disappointed me 

5643f4.thumb.png.64f60a1ffc805e28c56cb39

and am i the only one noticing that she edits her legs ? like her i know she has some darn curvy legs so its really hard for me to see her legs as skinny looking .....or maybe the composition of the camera are different ....

Posted

wow you guys made a good points of view about her :alpacacrush:

i will give my own perspective view on this i liked megan a lot until ...she has changed ..her attitude has changed she became more koreanized , her personality became more on the " pushy " side and the fact that she stopped teaching just to be a youtuber just disappointed me 

5643f4.thumb.png.64f60a1ffc805e28c56cb39

and am i the only one noticing that she edits her legs ? like her i know she has some darn curvy legs so its really hard for me to see her legs as skinny looking .....or maybe the composition of the camera are different ....

I see..
Yeah those are some weird leg photo shopping skills. I never seen legs indent in the inner thigh like that.
She's thin enough as it is, I don't see why she should give herself a major thigh gap.

Also, I dun realistically see how any of these vloggers can hold a normal job, especially as a teacher, if they dedicate themselves to youtube.
Social media has people getting fired left and right...so there non youtube job will always be at risk.

Posted

speaking of korean stuff she made a new video : 

which apparently she is vegan ? 

543ease3.thumb.png.392c0ff49bd257d6efb03

Posted

I quite like a few of her videos but I think she tries to overdo it on the comedy side. Like others have said(this may come across as offensive, I apologise in advance) she seems to try to throw in her ethnicity all the time for shock value, and I feel like she plays this up even more by overuse of AAVE. I dunno, I might be looking into it too much though. 

Her new makeup style definitely doesn't suit her either, I wish she would start doing makeup that complements her features more.

OT but considering how other K-personalities/vloggers were brought up, how about starting a General KVlogger Discussion thread like the Jvlogger one??

Posted

speaking of korean stuff she made a new video : 

which apparently she is vegan ? 

543ease3.thumb.png.392c0ff49bd257d6efb03

Yeah but she isnt Sharla level bragging vegan (she was vegan way before Sharla and doesn't wave it about all the time) I think its easier to be atleast vegetarian in Korea anyways 

Posted (edited)

I've never cared for this girl, but like most people I preferred her in her early days. She seems nice, but she seems hyper and overenergic.... and people like that just wear me out or drive me crazy lol.

I live in Korea too so I used to keep up with some bloggers around Tumblr when I first came, there were a couple of black kbloggers that didn't like her either because a lot of them were frustrated living in Korea due to racism and Megan benefits from being white passing to Koreans. So they were disappointed that she never used her platform to discuss about racism in Korea. But I think Megan likes keeping her channel positive, so it's choice anyways.

Also, for her professional photos (some were posted here), Korea photoshops the hell out of those. So they made her eyes doey, smaller nose, smaller face, lightened and evened out her skin, and etc. I had to get my own photos in Korea for a resume and to renew my passport and they photoshopped the hell out of them too lol. But overall, I think the Korean style makeup doesn't fit her at all, especially that puppy style eyeliner, I really hate that style. Anyways, I've seen some people online say she bleaches her skin or does something to it to make it lighter. But it's all guesses lol. She's posted some of her childhood pics on IG before so you can find them and compare them.

For the vegan thing, I think she's doing it for the health benefits (not for animal cruelty) because she's into pole dancing and training.

Overall, I think she wants to be famous in Korea. I personally think she won't make it, I just don't think she overall appeals to a Korean audience (they're a tough crowd here). But she says she wants to live in Korea forever, so I guess she's determined to do it. I feel sorry for her about her bf cheating and having a finance, that was the first guy she introduced on her channel - now she'll probably never do it again.

(for the other foreigners that are ashamed not doing stuff the "korean" way, don't be. We're all foreigners, we'll always be outsiders. So it's ok if you don't like or don't want to do Korean x y z)

Edited by Athena

Posted

I think its easier to be atleast vegetarian in Korea anyways 

It isn't. I just spend a year there and it was really hard for me. 

I kinda thought she had some interesting videos but I never really liked her 'big' charackter. I hate this over(re)acting she does. I recently started following her IG and was really suprised how weird her face looks. She smoothens her face way to much. Her body is nice though.

Posted (edited)

It isn't. I just spend a year there and it was really hard for me. 

I kinda thought she had some interesting videos but I never really liked her 'big' charackter. I hate this over(re)acting she does. I recently started following her IG and was really suprised how weird her face looks. She smoothens her face way to much. Her body is nice though.

Yea I'm vegan and it's a struggle. It's because even the vegetable side dishes usually have some sort of fish product in it (like sauce and etc) and soups are usually made with fish product or animal product (like naengmyung). Bibibimbap (w/o egg) is basically the staple choice. But if you live near a buddhist temple there's usually restaurants with vegetarian options available. 

But it's easy if you make your own food (and you can understand some korean for labels), and I think she cooks for herself often anyways.

But there's some foreigner support here too, there's a couple of Vegan Korea/Seoul Facebook groups where people help each other out and give recommendations or find new restaurants. HappyCow (https://www.happycow.net/asia/south_korea/) is a good place too

Edited by Athena