• Announcements

• Clarifying How To Use the Report Feature   06/29/20

Hello. I have noticed a great deal of confusion regarding how to use the report feature and what is expected regarding reports, so I am making a clarification announcement to users who may be unfamiliar with how the report feature works. Please note we have this rule regarding reports: 16.  Do report. Do not make frivolous reports (such as "I don't like this person"). Frivolous reports will result in a warning and possible ban. a. When reporting, please give a reason. Reports citing what rule the post is breaking and giving some information are way more valuable and will get the issue resolved faster. (Reports with no explanations sometimes require mods to go through and skim the entire thread to find out what's going on. Please save us time if you can). b. Don’t waste the mods’ time. Report people for breaking the rules, otherwise don’t report. [Rules in their entirety can be found here.] We also have a wonderful tutorial on how to use the report feature created by one of our former moderators which you can find here. In essence, we enforce the rules as they are written. In a rare occasion there may not be a direct violation but the user is still conducting themselves inappropriately and how we handle that is up to the moderators discretion. We do our best. We also encourage you to use the report feature to report posts that have been edited down to nothing or if you double posted and would like your double post hidden. Also, please note that we do not provide updates on reports. We get far too many to be able to keep up with every one. You are welcome to message a moderator to ask about your report, but please know that we cannot and will not divulge any information on whether we banned the user you are reporting. Simply that we have taken appropriate action. I hope this helps provide further clarification on how to use the report feature. Should you have any questions not clear in these instructions, please feel free to message me or Nyx. Thank you. *Please allow up to 3 business days (as we tend to be slower on weekends) for a response and for reports to be cleared.

ChoNunMigookSaram/Megan Bowen

1628 posts in this topic

Posted

Hidden Content

Its not glamorous, darling. 

Not like going to photogenic restaurants, taking pictures, hanging out and living in a larger than the average foreiger apt. 

Living in Korea looks so exotic to outsiders. Even though a salaried job is the same in Korea or anywhere else, it looks cooler if it has a Korean back drop. 

The problem with South Korea is that they allow anyone that has a degree and is a native speaker. It would make much more sense to allow anyone that has a degree in English and has teaching qualifications to teach.

I don't know about you, but when I have to explain someone something in my mother tongue I often find myself not being able to properly explain why something is the way it is in grammar etc. and I have trouble explaining something in depth as well as all the exceptions, nuances....

I mean, you wouldn't let a math and physics major teach English in English speaking countries (and most of Europe) why would you let them teach in Asia something they aren't qualified for? Actual English teacher go to university every where from 3-5 years and deserve more respect than that.

This English teaching industry is about profit not teaching. Private academies here are one if the biggest and most lucrative industries here. English "teachers" are used to basically keep the money moving, not actually teach. Whole neighborhood economies depend on these businesses existing. So because of that they dont need "real" licensed teachers. Just willing place holders. Plus licensed trained teachers are too expensive of a placeholder. 

Posted

Hidden Content

its the same 'im not like other girls' shit, just the foreigner in korea addition. Ive seen anons on PULL do it too. Bash people like E2s and people on a spouse visa like thats something to be ashamed of when its a damn visa!! A green card!! Even in Osharegirls thread you catch people saying "I admire her for not taking the easy route and not getting the spouse visa" when shes been in a relationship for something like 7 years 3 of which were married?? Same goes for Megan, eddie, and these other wannabe ~influencers~ like that can cruise along on whatever youtube entertainment visa/throw money at a business visa, but does that really prove someones worth? Look at Simon and Martina, had non teaching business visas towards the end, and were far from integrated in the culture and had the worst korean skills for people in the spotlight for being ambassadors for Korean culture to western audiences.

And Megans WAS a teacher which is why its so funny that she seems to be the type that shrugs off e2s lol

Posted

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

I mean, what you say would explain why, but it still remains a problem. Teaching shouldn't be about profit and people that aren't qualified shouldn't be teaching. 

But this whole discussion is pointless, at least for this thread. Megan isn't a teacher and likely doesn't plan to be. Maybe if everything else fails and she can't profit anymore off her YouTube.

Posted (edited)

its the same 'im not like other girls' shit, just the foreigner in korea addition. Ive seen anons on PULL do it too. Bash people like E2s and people on a spouse visa like thats something to be ashamed of when its a damn visa!! A green card!! Even in Osharegirls thread you catch people saying "I admire her for not taking the easy route and not getting the spouse visa" when shes been in a relationship for something like 7 years 3 of which were married?? Same goes for Megan, eddie, and these other wannabe ~influencers~ like that can cruise along on whatever youtube entertainment visa/throw money at a business visa, but does that really prove someones worth? Look at Simon and Martina, had non teaching business visas towards the end, and were far from integrated in the culture and had the worst korean skills for people in the spotlight for being ambassadors for Korean culture to western audiences.

And Megans WAS a teacher which is why its so funny that she seems to be the type that shrugs off e2s lol

Ha! 

Megan literally did this. She got her F2 visa at a time she knew she was going to marry Moon. She could have just gotten the F6 spousal but in her mind, thats like the E2 (teacher visa) of the F-series visa. 

If I remember correctly, that video thread was full of "at least you didnt get the F6 (like those other losers)". 

I believe her end goal is to be naturalized. Korea doesnt allow dual citizenship, in most cases. Her current visa (F2) would only allow her to go as high as F5 visa (permanent residency) but if she tried to be naturalized. She would have to renounce her American one. However, there is a loophole. People married to a Korean can be naturalized and hold a dual citizenship. 

So I wouldnt be surprised if she switches to the F6 visa.secretly and then goes through the naturalization process. Girls on youtube married to Korean men are all exclusively on F6 spousal visas. But Megan went out of her way to avoid.doing that. 

Gotta stay special, right? :haiplz:

Edited by BlackInKorea

Posted (edited)

I hate it when people over glorify non-teaching/marriage visas, the whole "at least you didn't get x visa!" schtick.

I don't think people know this, but Korean immigration is always changing the rules for the residential visa (the fucking f-2-7). In fact, they just changed it to make it harder where your points mostly come from your income/age. So basically they want young rich people which is completely outrageous expecting someone under 30 years old to be financially successful. My friend broke down crying because she's just now a few points under with the new rules. In fact, a lot people in online groups were freaking out because some where a few short with the rule changes. It's not a fun process and it's made intentionally to be frustrating/difficult for immigrants. Megan is just privileged to have a job that gave her a comfortable amount of time to work on it, while people who work a normal 9to5; it can be headache.

And yea, Megan's not special for being successful, as someone else said there's tons of immigrants in Korea/seoul who own their own successful businesses/restaurants/shops, unlike Megan they just don't document it the kboo world. People here just live normal lives.

Edited by Athena

Posted (edited)

I hate it when people over glorify non-teaching/marriage visas, the whole "at least you didn't get x visa!" schtick.

I don't think people know this, but Korean immigration is always changing the rules for the residential visa (the fucking f-2-7). In fact, they just changed it to make it harder where your points mostly come from your income/age. So basically they want young rich people which is completely outrageous expecting someone under 30 years old to be financially successful. My friend broke down crying because she's just now a few points under with the new rules. In fact, a lot people in online groups were freaking out because some where a few short with the rule changes. It's not a fun process and it's made intentionally to be frustrating/difficult for immigrants. Megan is just privileged to have a job that gave her a comfortable amount of time to work on it, while people who work a normal 9to5; it can be headache.

And yea, Megan's not special for being successful, as someone else said there's tons of immigrants in Korea/seoul who own their own successful businesses/restaurants/shops, unlike Megan they just don't document it the kboo world. People here just live normal lives.

I wish she would tell people though. Like I dont get her NEED to constantly play "Im not like other foreigners card". Shes on the F27 but surely with all her incomes combined exceeds to 30 mil won limit. And probably gets major points for income. 

I find myself wondering what she got for the langiage requirement. Like I said, old girl goes out her way to NOT mention that. If she had a 6 TOPIK we would get a "How I got level 6 Topik" video. 

She cant accomplish BIG goals so she focuses on smaller ones, and then brags about them. 

Cant be famous on Korea TV? Make a Youtube Channel. 

Want to be better than foreign teachers here? Get another SALARIED postion at different company. 

Businesses keep failing? Take everyones mind off it by doing fitness competitions. 

Cant get a fine ass Korean man? Marry Moon. 

Remeber her video hanging all over that body buildier. It was clear to the eye that he wasnt THAT invested. But she had her head all the way up his ass

Even though he turned out to be an asshole, lets not forget that Megans "type" is fine ass muscular men who are the opposite of what she married. 

Until now, Megan hasnt done anything that any other teacher here couldnt do. People simply dont want to, arent interesteted in pursuing the path she took. 

She sits in that big ass useless apartment, if for nothing else to show off how much "better" shes living. Notice how nearly all other foreigners here live in exclusively studio apartments. 

Megan has never had sympathy for the plight of other foreigners here. From jumpstreet. Even in her earlier videos the "Well Im not like other foreigners" attitide was still present. So why would SHE a person with a PLATFORM that could get the voices of the people affect by the F27 visa change out to others, and show the reality of life in Korea as an immigrant? 

Your friends plight doesnt bother her.

It doesnt affect her. She doesnt care. The end. If she did possibly no longer qualify, she wouldnt ever admit to that either. Gotta keep up the image of success. She would quietly switch to the F6 and tell no one. 

Plenty of people who now qualify still feel bad for the people who will lose theirs in the change. 

That is also a reason other foreigners here dont like her. She goes out of her way to dissociate herself from us. Because shes "different" but Koreans will only evee view her as just another foreigner. 

Keep an eye out. If Megan makes a video called "I got naturalized" in about 3 years time, that means she used hee husband to do it. 

Edited by BlackInKorea

Posted (edited)

20200602_081808.thumb.jpg.4255a6321d286c

Megan made a post a couple days ago about George Floyd. Apparently people were harrassing her for not speaking out. Other black people here are been vocal since it happened. 

The comment that really gets me is the second one though. Megan is black when she needs to be. Shes black among Koreans because she likes their reactions to finding out that black women can be attractive (like her). But other wise she feels no real need to associate too much with it according to her actions. 

So no, a darker black women isnt going to get the same "exotic" foreigner treatment as Megan the ONE thing that gives Koreans any clue that Megan is black (just from appearance) is her hair texture. 

And she hasnt had her hair in its natural curly state in YEARS. At first said she was waiting for it to grow out, but even in her lateat video, ahe had it out but it was straighted. She would look even more black with tightly coiled hair. So she changes it. 

Black people in Korea are super close knit. Megan has chosen to stay out of that circle since she got here. Shes never used hee platform to educate Koreans on racism or microaggressive behavior. 

So no Megan, when you pick and choose to wear blackness, like you pick out an outfit. Its a wonder that people dont take your posts seriously. 

Edited by BlackInKorea

Posted

20200602_081808.thumb.jpg.4255a6321d286c

Megan made a post a couple days ago about George Floyd. Apparently people were harrassing her for not speaking out. Other black people here are been vocal since it happened. 

The comment that really gets me is the second one though. Megan is black when she needs to be. Shes black among Koreans because she likes their reactions to finding out that black women can be attractive (like her). But other wise she feels no real need to associate too much with it according to her actions. 

So no, a darker black women isnt going to get the same "exotic" foreigner treatment as Megan the ONE thing that gives Koreans any clue that Megan is black (just from appearance) is her hair texture. 

And she hasnt had her hair in its natural curly state in YEARS. At first said she was waiting for it to grow out, but even in her lateat video, ahe had it out but it was straighted. She would look even more black with tightly coiled hair. So she changes it. 

Black people in Korea are super close knit. Megan has chosen to stay out of that circle since she got here. Shes never used hee platform to educate Koreans on racism or microaggressive behavior. 

So no Megan, when you pick and choose to wear blackness, like you pick out an outfit. Its a wonder that people dont take your posts seriously. 

this girl cant have relationships out of youtube/social media/Z list internet celebrity cliques so idk why we're even surprised she hasnt tried to be a part of these circles lmfao maybe if one of us had a poppin youtube channel she'd come right over 💀

Posted

this girl cant have relationships out of youtube/social media/Z list internet celebrity cliques so idk why we're even surprised she hasnt tried to be a part of these circles lmfao maybe if one of us had a poppin youtube channel she'd come right over 💀

She literally alienated herself first. Then gets mad when people brush her off. She likes praise of youtube and insta. Wouldnt hang out with any of her supporter. Ew

Posted

I find myself wondering what she got for the langiage requirement. Like I said, old girl goes out her way to NOT mention that. If she had a 6 TOPIK we would get a "How I got level 6 Topik" video. 

She did the KIIP program, so finishing the classes up to 5 and passing the 종합평가 gives you an extra 10 point bump and would have more than fulfilled the point system for the language requirement.

I went back and checked the video, because I actually never watched it lol, but she spends a huge portion of the video selling the KIIP program it feels like. 
Tbh I have a problem with how she sells it tho, because she says "if you want to come to Korea to learn Korean its the best" which is wrong because you need to have a valid visa to take it..... and she also phrases something in a confusing way saying it counts for the TOPIK.. which in the point system it counts in the same section, but the KIIP is pretty useless outside of getting the visa, it means nothing on a resume. She also says it "teaches you korean" but most people I've heard consider it a terrible way to actually attain fluency (its a good supplement tho if you can test into 4 or 5 and skip all the useless early hours)
(and the way she says TOPIK is weird af Ive never heard anyone pronounce it like "topic")

Posted

She did the KIIP program, so finishing the classes up to 5 and passing the 종합평가 gives you an extra 10 point bump and would have more than fulfilled the point system for the language requirement.

I went back and checked the video, because I actually never watched it lol, but she spends a huge portion of the video selling the KIIP program it feels like. 
Tbh I have a problem with how she sells it tho, because she says "if you want to come to Korea to learn Korean its the best" which is wrong because you need to have a valid visa to take it..... and she also phrases something in a confusing way saying it counts for the TOPIK.. which in the point system it counts in the same section, but the KIIP is pretty useless outside of getting the visa, it means nothing on a resume. She also says it "teaches you korean" but most people I've heard consider it a terrible way to actually attain fluency (its a good supplement tho if you can test into 4 or 5 and skip all the useless early hours)
(and the way she says TOPIK is weird af Ive never heard anyone pronounce it like "topic")

I watched it. But dont remember it clearly. But I do remember her hyping it. I took the KIIP classes. I kinda agree they arent the BEST way to learn Korean. But if your Korean my level, I found it easy and also learned a few tips I didnt know. 

The kiip does NOT currently count in place of the TOPIK. On the new proposed visa change the categories will be combined into one. Most people like me need both Topik and Kiip category points get the F27. More than likely, Megan got alot of points in the income category so she didnt bother taking the TOPIK. 

Which is strange because my Korean level initially years ago got much better while preparing the topik for 9 months 8 hours a day 5 years ago. 

Again. Its impossible for Megan to be good at Korean. Even in the Kiip class, for level 4 and 5 there are alot of peoples Korean that is still heavily accented, full of mistakes and that have trouble understanding the teacher. 

The kiip class test level 4 isnt hard. I would say Topik level 3ish maybe easy level 4. Level 5 is a bit easier than Topik 5. Also on the kiip test, you only need 60% to pass. So thats a low bar already. 

Ive been working in an all Korean environment for nearly a decade and I STILL dont know alot of Korean. Especially specialized topics. And I speak it at least 4 hours a day daily. So I dont get by what magic she could be decent living in her Youtuber bubble.

Posted

I think people give her too much shit for not speaking Korean all that well. The problem is that she presents herself as someone that knows a lot, but her loving there a long time and not being fluent isn't a bad thing. 

Language is a means of communication and she appears to have done fine in that regards. It's not like she doesn't speak a lick of Korean and everyone around her is forced to accommodate. 

Learning a language is a hard process, especially when one does that in their twenties and she doesn't even have the need to speak it fluently. It's kinda going out of you way to perfect something that is both hard and not enjoyable. The benefit would be speaking the language, but her job doesn't exactly require her to have perfect Korean (even though it's impossible to speak any language perfectly). Most of her friends are foreigners anyways.

Once actual need arises and she has to become more proficient, she probably will. 

Posted

I think people give her too much shit for not speaking Korean all that well. The problem is that she presents herself as someone that knows a lot, but her loving there a long time and not being fluent isn't a bad thing. 

Language is a means of communication and she appears to have done fine in that regards. It's not like she doesn't speak a lick of Korean and everyone around her is forced to accommodate. 

Learning a language is a hard process, especially when one does that in their twenties and she doesn't even have the need to speak it fluently. It's kinda going out of you way to perfect something that is both hard and not enjoyable. The benefit would be speaking the language, but her job doesn't exactly require her to have perfect Korean (even though it's impossible to speak any language perfectly). Most of her friends are foreigners anyways.

Once actual need arises and she has to become more proficient, she probably will. 

No. People dont give her too much shit. Megan has been criticizing other foreigners in Korea for YEARS for not learning the language and culture like her. 

Every chance she gets. 

So, so she has some nerve being as bad as she is. 

She cannot make phone calls with that level. She cannot communicate freely with that level. So setting up and running a business with that level is imposaible. 

Remember the other foreign women I mentioned earlier in this thread that havent learned the language? How many comments have you read criticizing them? Zip. Zero. Why? 

Because they dont put other people down for not being able to do something they cant do. 

But Megan does. 

Posted

I’m sorry, but as someone who lived abroad for almost 5 years, things can get very tough very fast for you if you don’t have an advanced command of the local language. As was stated above, there’s no way in hell she can run a business without that. Then there’s going to bank and conducting personal financial business as well as caring for your health. By the time I left where I lived, I could speak the language at a high fluency. And as a language teacher (who has done language research), fluency DOES NOT mean error-free  the problem is Megan often implies she’s near native when apparently she’s not.

Sure, you can choose not to learn and rely on others help, but Megan has constructed an illusion of independence. She also does things like trying to teach people pronounciatikn, etc. Potential isn’t reality (which is why in regards to romance, people say not to fall in love with potential!) Megan has the potential and time to capitalize on it, but she didn’t. Therefore, she is a caricature of what she could’ve been, and insults people who have worked hard and did the things she claims to do. 

Regarding her lack of fitness videos:

This one seems quite easy to explain, too. I’m into weight training, but I’m not an expert. Megan did not build her body; Hulk was heavily involved with the process to the point where I doubt Megan can consistently create fitness content that’s accurate and informative. Now, I do think it would be interesting for her to get with Hulk and create a Korean fitness channel, but I don’t see that happening, particularly because of the effort level it would take on Megan’s part.

Posted

I’m sorry, but as someone who lived abroad for almost 5 years, things can get very tough very fast for you if you don’t have an advanced command of the local language. As was stated above, there’s no way in hell she can run a business without that. Then there’s going to bank and conducting personal financial business as well as caring for your health. By the time I left where I lived, I could speak the language at a high fluency. And as a language teacher (who has done language research), fluency DOES NOT mean error-free  the problem is Megan often implies she’s near native when apparently she’s not.

Sure, you can choose not to learn and rely on others help, but Megan has constructed an illusion of independence. She also does things like trying to teach people pronounciatikn, etc. Potential isn’t reality (which is why in regards to romance, people say not to fall in love with potential!) Megan has the potential and time to capitalize on it, but she didn’t. Therefore, she is a caricature of what she could’ve been, and insults people who have worked hard and did the things she claims to do. 

Regarding her lack of fitness videos:

This one seems quite easy to explain, too. I’m into weight training, but I’m not an expert. Megan did not build her body; Hulk was heavily involved with the process to the point where I doubt Megan can consistently create fitness content that’s accurate and informative. Now, I do think it would be interesting for her to get with Hulk and create a Korean fitness channel, but I don’t see that happening, particularly because of the effort level it would take on Megan’s part.

👏👏👏👏 Say it again for the people in the back. 

You make a good point about the fitness thing. If shes not planning to make money off of it, become educated in it (get a degree or certification) why spend so much money on it? Plenty of people who compete in shows work out and manage their own diets alone without trainers. 

My guess is, she likes the attention.