ChoNunMigookSaram/Megan Bowen

701 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Sorry for spamming. I learned from my mistakes.:lamasad:

meganbowen.thumb.jpg.216d3c6b0e1d42466c6

Megan Bowen aka Chonunmigooksaram is an American living in South Korea. She started as an  Elementary School English teacher in South Korea, makes videos about how to teach abroad and gave her experiences on cultural differences and  Korean culture and what it’s like being Black in Korea. She was born on May 16, 1989 in Illinois (?) and she is 27 years old. She is the eldest of 7 children in her family which includes 4 girls and 3 boys. She is a Youtuber and actress and known for her internet TV dating series.  She's similar to EatYourKimichi and Hollyuback. Also, She quit her job once her channel got to around 50k subscribers. 

bowen-megan-image.thumb.jpg.d13895eb4fca

People do say she is morphing into a Korean herself. Which seem interesting? Any Opinions on Her?

12725177_476226869234324_1395478956_n.th

She didn’t have a thread here so I made one and her YouTube name means “I’m an American Person (?)”

photo.thumb.jpg.cfeb900a2ad29ee5195991a2

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/chonunmigooksaram/?hl=en 

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ChoNunMigookSaram

Some of her videos: 

Edited by i3riana

Posted

I actually watched some of this girl's videos a few years back. I just checked out her latest stuff and I can see why some people find her a little off-putting.

She's lost that charm which she had when she was in the first few years in Korea - she had stories of what it was like to be a foreign in terms of messing up the language, trying new food, etc. Now she's been in Korea for a while, you can see that she's too far deep into the culture of the country and it makes her Western audience feel alienated.

Aside from that, the make-up style she does is not suited to her features at all. :|

It seems to happen to some J/K Youtubers, where once they quit their job to pursue a Youtube career and work on fully integrating into the society of the new country they are in, they seem kind of weird. The culture of America verses Korea is different and it seeps into their videos, doing things like changing their sense of humour and stuff like that.

Posted

she only talks about the good parts of sk which whatever i guess but i prefer people who are willing to post videos about the good and bad

the majority of her fans are koreaboos and her videos really only push for them to go over there because she paints it as this amazing wonderland where you get to meet your oppas and date korean men!! (in reference to her date in paradise videos)

i used to like her back when i was super into kpop but now i find her pretty annoying and it really does seem like she's trying to pass as korean herself which she argues is because she lives there but i wouldn't try to look korean if i was there but maybe that's just me

okay done ranting... She seems like a fine person though

Posted (edited)

I always see her in my suggested feed, but imo she's white passing so I don't really see why she talking about being black in Korea, when she probably doesn't face as much discrimination. Something about her is really off putting, but she seems harmless.

She isn't white passing. If anything she is just somewhat racially ambiguous. When I saw her, I knew she had black in her, I just figured her mother was White when that is indeed not the case. But I agree with you to people in South Korea, they wouldn't think she's black due to them and most people not knowing we all don't come in one shade with a share set of physical features. She had a video when she got a korean perm, and even the picture of her with the hat, one can see she has type 4 hair (which is found more in Black people, but we can also have type 1,2,and 3)

Anyways....I'll just contribute this.
So apparently she was dating this juiced up Korean dude bro, but this is where the story has two sides so one has to decide which one to choose.
On her youtube, some friend of JUKDB said that Megan stole him away from his long time girlfriend. Megan uploaded a video on snapchat crying saying he cheated on her and his gf(actually fiance) cause she didn't know he was in relationship (She deleted the video). And then her fans went  hard on his instagram saying he used her, making him keep it private(but its open again now). Then she told her fans not to go after him.

This was all discussed on another forum I use, but this podcast also discussed the scandal.

진짜 차 팟캐스트 Jinjja Cha Podcast: The Turn-Up Function-It starts at 43:00

Regardless, I do find her to be the equivalent of the Jvlogging community except she is pretty (I swear to God, she is way hotter than all them jvloggers..her body is on point, and her fashion is always good). That's all she has going for her..

Edited by yourfavoritevillagetruther

Posted

She isn't white passing. If anything she is just somewhat racially ambiguous. When I saw her, I knew she had black in her, I just figured her mother was White when that is indeed not the case. But I agree with you to people in South Korea, they wouldn't think she's black due to them and most people not knowing we all don't come in one shade with a share set of physical features. She had a video when she got a korean perm, and even the picture of her with the hat, one can see she has type 4 hair (which is found more in Black people, but we can also have type 1,2,and 3)

Anyways....I'll just contribute this.
So apparently she was dating this juiced up Korean dude bro, but this is where the story has two sides so one has to decide which one to choose.
On her youtube, some friend of JUKDB said that Megan stole him away from his long time girlfriend. Megan uploaded a video on snapchat crying saying he cheated on her and his gf(actually fiance) cause she didn't know he was in relationship (She deleted the video). And then her fans went  hard on his instagram saying he used her, making him keep it private(but its open again now). Then she told her fans not to go after him.

This was all discussed on another forum I use, but this podcast also discussed the scandal.

진짜 차 팟캐스트 Jinjja Cha Podcast: The Turn-Up Function-It starts at 43:00

Regardless, I do find her to be the equivalent of the Jvlogging community except she is pretty (I swear to God, she is way hotter than all them jvloggers..her body is on point, and her fashion is always good). That's all she has going for her..

yep, the naps don't lie. but just based on her pictures i wouldn't have thought it because she washes herself out pretty badly and looks almost grey.

Posted

yep, the naps don't lie. but just based on her pictures i wouldn't have thought it because she washes herself out pretty badly and looks almost grey.

Yeah, and someone said she gets injections for something that lightens the skin. I saw her baby pics and she is red bone, but I can't describe it. Her skin tone just seems alil off in terms of the red bone's I have come across. Granted it could be the photo lighting and such.

Posted

Going through her Insta you can definitely see a change leaning more towards Korean fashion and makeup 

personally I don't think Korean makeup suits her, the puppy eyes and highlighted agyeo sal doesn't bring out her best features, like in the photo below idk it just looks off

image.thumb.jpeg.8f36e497bdddaa64643252e

But in this photo below with more "western" style makeup I think she looks better

image.thumb.png.26e358e436f5778240d1a31b

Also found this recent photo she looks very pale and looks more "Asian" (editing maybe?) idk much about her she's part black but is she part Korean too? If not she kind off comes off a bit koreaboo 😕

image.thumb.png.dace83af7d2961c25a8de9d6

Posted (edited)

Going through her Insta you can definitely see a change leaning more towards Korean fashion and makeup 

personally I don't think Korean makeup suits her, the puppy eyes and highlighted agyeo sal doesn't bring out her best features, like in the photo below idk it just looks off

image.thumb.jpeg.8f36e497bdddaa64643252e

But in this photo below with more "western" style makeup I think she looks better

image.thumb.png.26e358e436f5778240d1a31b

Also found this recent photo she looks very pale and looks more "Asian" (editing maybe?) idk much about her she's part black but is she part Korean too? If not she kind off comes off a bit koreaboo 😕

image.thumb.png.dace83af7d2961c25a8de9d6

She's Black but her mother is half white, black and native american and her father is fully black. So, she's not part Asian. 

She said it in one of her videos.

Go to 2:26 where she talked about her parents. 

Sorry for the bottom part the PULL isn't working for me today.

FYI: She's works for KBS because she wants to be in the entertainment business. 

Go to 2:26 to see her part in the show.

Edited by i3riana

Posted

Oh I like her! I didn't know she was black at first lol. But I think she's white passing but also aware of it?

Posted

Oh I like her! I didn't know she was black at first lol. But I think she's white passing but also aware of it?

Hmm, Perhaps. Colorism is a sensitive subject to discuss within the black community in regards to there is a division between lighter skinned and dark skinned black folks, and some light skinned black folk ignore it saying they're treated the same (which very well may be true but it depends on other features as well but that's another story). Is she aware that she can pass as  a non black person to the untrained eye and take advantage of it? Yes. There's a another black girl in S.Korea, I forgot her name but she's darker than Megan and doesn't look mixed, who is also trying to get into the entertainment industry but nothing has happened yet, and one can only guess why. But that doesn't deny how Megan identifies with being black.

it's like White chocolate. None of the color but all of the flavor.

Posted

Hmm, Perhaps. Colorism is a sensitive subject to discuss within the black community in regards to there is a division between lighter skinned and dark skinned black folks, and some light skinned black folk ignore it saying they're treated the same (which very well may be true but it depends on other features as well but that's another story). Is she aware that she can pass as  a non black person to the untrained eye and take advantage of it? Yes. There's a another black girl in S.Korea, I forgot her name but she's darker than Megan and doesn't look mixed, who is also trying to get into the entertainment industry but nothing has happened yet, and one can only guess why. But that doesn't deny how Megan identifies with being black.

it's like White chocolate. None of the color but all of the flavor.

I think what @my melody was trying to say, (and please correct me if I am wrong) is that Megan looks white to most people in South Korea, and Megan knows she looks white to most people (probably a good portion from the United States as well). 

Posted

Yeahhh, the way her skin looks now, it's just..not suit her at all along with the makeup. If OP doesnt say i wouldn't know she is black. But well she's into korean makeup and i guess whitening cream, etc is also popular over there,
It's just sad how she decided to whiten her skin though.