• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

4165 posts in this topic

Posted

I mean, I grew up in HK and my parents didn’t put me in International Schools and I learned Cantonese and English while at home it was all English only.  I learned Mandarin so I could attend university in mainland China. I became fluent in Mandarin which was not a language I grew up in but I was motivated to do so and I probably already had an upper hand since I already could read. 

What baffles me is Eddy has no motivation to get better at Korean and is quite possibly comfortable at the level he’s at but you definitely experience more of a culture if you learn more of the language. He doesn’t have to become fluent but he could learn a lot more to the point where he could have decent conversational skills he just doesn’t seem to want to which is really baffling.

Posted

It's not baffling to lack motivation at all. Plenty people lack motivation to even be a functioning person in general. It's all about trying to get back the grit, which no one has figured out how to do. So yeh, maybe he will suddenly decide to get better or just stay at them same place.

Posted

His situation is different from the personal situations mentioned before. As someone said he has the time unlike some immigrants and resources to actually get better at Korean while ppl who mentioned their parents... your parents had to work their asses off to support themselves and you guys in a new country there was no time to learn language properly. While I understand both sides I do kinda judge Eddy for his lacking Korean. I am an immigrant myself and I also think the language thing depends on the country you are moving to. In a multicultural country like US or like my case UK it's much easier to get by without knowing the language or if you have lacking language skills. There are a lot of immigrants that can help you out from your country and a lot of ppl from different backgrounds in general so people are a lot more understanding when your language is lacking. However in countries that are very homogeneous like Korea or Japan it's different. You should start learning the language imo. People move to US or UK because they were struggling and they just want to have a better life meanwhile people move to these "exotic" places like Korea because they want to and can afford to do that. And kind of a side note but it was mentioned somewhere in the thread

I don't agree with people who move to Korea, Japan etc to teach English when they aren't close to fluent in the language of the country they're moving to. From what I've seen they can be put in schools to teach kids of all ages and while depending on the school's teaching ability the older students might be able to understand but for younger kids it's not beneficial at all. I know that from my experience. I was way ahead of my class in English and rn it's easy for me to live in an English speaking country because I am fluent but when I was younger even when I was ahead of everyone I NEEDED the explanations in my own language. I also briefly had a chance to learn from some American people English and that did not improve it at all because they couldn't explain anything in my language. So basically yeah I don't agree with those programs. No offence to any of you if you are doing it.

Posted (edited)

Edited by lambchopp

Posted

In his IG story he seems to be editing a new video. Wonder if he'll bitch about PULL again or have something cool to show

Posted

Hidden Content

Well it depends too. I'm teaching English at an elementary school in Korea right now and i'm korean american but I'm not allowed to let the kids know that I can speak Korean or else they'll just speak in Korean to me. Also for those teach english programs you're basically coteaching with a korean teacher. They learn the grammar and all the technical stuff with the korean english teacher in a different class and when they're with me, they practice their speaking and listening. The korean teacher is also in the room to help with translating if a game or an activity is too difficult or confusing for them. Not offended by you but just wanted to offer some insight into the job (: However i do have problems with people who go teach here in korea just because they want to see their kpop idols but that's a discussion for a different place. 

Posted

idk why im defending edward so much but with all due respect you are all sounding like people who have never lived for a long period of time in a country that is not a culture you were born into. in america i live in a huge city where most people are immigrants, most of my friends parents dont speak english well, and i would still consider them to be a productive citizen of society???? some of my friends who were raised in a household that only spoke tagalog for example were born in america but arent super fluent in english (make tons of gramatical errors, have a limited vocab) 

also if assimilation is a 'life long process' than isnt his relatively short time in korea (compared to a life time) just the process of him assimilating? we're literally witnessing his progression. to be honest i think he's doing a hell of a lot better job than most foreigners. most english teachers and foreigners in general in korea can have lived there for decades never learning the language, only hanging out with english-speaking foreigners, etc. it might just be conversational but at least edward tries. most foreigners just take the easy way out and only speak english. 

i've never gotten the feeling that he's trying to show 'how real life in korea really is' he's just showing his particular, unique experience.

idk like i said im not his biggest fan but the comments recently in this thread have definitely seemed like they're coming from people with no experience of being a foreigner living abroad, and if you have that experience, i'd love to hear how quickly you picked up the language from the country where no one else in your family speaks the native tongue :) cause lord knows my time in korea did me no good.

Please only speak for yourself. My take on Edward comes fron exactly that, experience being a foreigner in not just one, but two countries and living there for a while. I might have not lived at one country longer than Edward has in Korea but I sure as hell know the language a lot better than he knows Korean. 

I do agree with you on CERTAIN parts. My parents moved to another country in their 20s, which is same age as Edward now, and they don’t speak it well. But then again they never took the time to learn it. My initial problem with Edward is that he doesn’t put any effort into learning Korean. Seems like, and from what he says, he uses English more than 50% on a daily basis. How do you expect to learn the language of the country you LIVE in if you don’t practice it. It’s not about how well you pick up on a language, it’s the work put into it.

Posted

I'm curious as to whether the people calling Eddie's Korean bad can speak Korean themselves? I can't judge his skill level because personally I don't speak the language so I have no idea what could be considered good and bad. He appears to have close relationships with numerous Korean people who don't speak English fluently which would be hard to maintain if his Korean really was so appalling. That's really the only judgement I can make. 

Please, let me know if you do speak Korean fluently and if Eddie really is that bad, I'm genuinely curious aha. 

Posted

I like his hair like this !! And I like the warmth of the make up vs the cold grey of his hair. 

Capture d’écran 2017-09-23 à 11.46.38.png

Posted

I like his hair like this !! And I like the warmth of the make up vs the cold grey of his hair. 

his whole appearance here looks good!! he should use this filter on his video more often

Posted

Yes FINALLY. HE.NEEDS.TO.KEEP.THIS.STYLE.

I'm curious as to whether the people calling Eddie's Korean bad can speak Korean themselves? I can't judge his skill level because personally I don't speak the language so I have no idea what could be considered good and bad. He appears to have close relationships with numerous Korean people who don't speak English fluently which would be hard to maintain if his Korean really was so appalling. That's really the only judgement I can make. 

Please, let me know if you do speak Korean fluently and if Eddie really is that bad, I'm genuinely curious aha. 

Not fluently, but I do know a lot. But then again Edward isn't fluent in Korean either. And I don't even live in Korea, surrounded by Korean people. I study on my own.

Posted

I'm not sure if it's the angle but his cheeks look super cute here? I wasn't that interested in this video but now I'm gonna watch it.

Posted

Yaaasss, he actually has color in his skin :')

Posted

I agree

He looks so warm and healthy! Love ittttt

Posted

i saw the thumbnail of this vid a few hours ago and was pleasantly surprised at how nice he looked! the warm tones look really good on him