• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

4048 posts in this topic

Posted

He hasn't actually had plastic surgery, as far as I'm aware he's only had temporary fillers on his nose rather than actual invasive surgery. 

As for his bitchy/sassy attitude, I kind of appreciate it and find it funny because I also feel like he can joke about himself or if he did his makeup wrong (I've seen in one or two videos), I get how it can rub people up the wrong way though or make him a little intimidating. 

Posted

He hasn't actually had plastic surgery, as far as I'm aware he's only had temporary fillers on his nose rather than actual invasive surgery. 

As for his bitchy/sassy attitude, I kind of appreciate it and find it funny because I also feel like he can joke about himself or if he did his makeup wrong (I've seen in one or two videos), I get how it can rub people up the wrong way though or make him a little intimidating. 

I agree. + the new way he's contouring his nose isn't any different from other YTers putting on a cakeface of makeup (ex: triangle highlight, 'snatched' nose, contouring the shit out of their faces). Sometimes it can look a little much, but that's his face and not mine. 

Posted (edited)

I've followed him before he moved to Korea, and I'm honestly not surprised about his personality. Obviously from the very beginning he was insecure of his Filipino heritage, especially his tan skin. One of his earlier videos was about "skin lightening tips". Tbh I was insecure about my skin tone at that time, so his video was very informative. However, I gradually became more disappointed as I continued to watch him. He must be very insecure about his facial Filipino characteristics. To the point that he got plastic surgery to make his nose appear more slim and less like the traditional Filipino nose. I know its not in my place to tell him how to feel, but his insecurities are tearing him apart. His life revolves around his appearance, and now he's become a monster inside and out. 

I just wanted to share this because he's leaning towards the road of plastic surgery. But in Skorea there is this term called "plastic monster". It's referred to the people who has lost their natural characteristics due to the overuse of plastic surgery. 

Yeah I can kind of see that. My friend commented in one of his videos of how his dark circles look and asked if he had slept lately and he replied with something about not sleeping well and then said "I need some fillers(?)" it's something  really small yet he wants fillers 😕I just hope he doesn't abuse the use of Botox and fillers. 
Edited by P.O
Sorry guys! I meant dark circles.

Posted

he's kind of bitchy but not in an awful way, i guess. I bet he's a virgo, i don't remember if he ever said his birthday. I unsubscribed. I believe he said "n*gga" in an older video but lol, let me check. He started rubbing me as a koreaboo waiting for a korean daddy bear to come and take him from his not-too-bad job and move him to the big city. If anything, I think he's possibly just a pretentious ass with koreaboo tendencies at worst (on camera). Very heavy instagram photoshopping on top of (admitted) ps, so not much to hold against him i guess.

I found him on yt a month ago. I didn't really like him, although his makeup skills are nice.

It's just that he really seems really bitchy to me. :Alpacaconfused:

I'm the opposite. I actually kind of like his personality. He reminds me of a really good friend from high school that I have! (I'm kind of catty myself, so maybe that's why he doesn't bother me?"

His makeup is so 'meh' to me. He always looks really cakey and like he is wearing a mask of BB cream, and his contouring could use some work. It probably has to do with him being self conscious about his acne. Part of me wants him to just buy a really nice high end foundation with great coverage, instead of packing on BB creams with medium coverage and horrible build. Some of the products he recommondes as HG aren't really that special, and are products that I have noticed that have 'caked' up on me (but that's subjective, so I can't really say much on that). Sometimes I think he gets a pass because he is good looking and there aren't many guys reviewing Korean makeup on Youtube.

His makeup is sooo bad sometimes, and sometimes it looks a-okay. I really can't give him a pass though because A. the foundation never matches (i know it would be harder for him to find a common st brand in his shade but with his splurging idk why a correct shade from a better brand isn't an option?) B. Maybe he picks the lower quality st brands because they're the most recognizable for his viewers? lol like etude or something C. at some point you realize all his makeup looks are similar and not very great. then again, he's not a professional MUA so what should I expect. 

I've followed him before he moved to Korea, and I'm honestly not surprised about his personality. Obviously from the very beginning he was insecure of his Filipino heritage, especially his tan skin. One of his earlier videos was about "skin lightening tips". Tbh I was insecure about my skin tone at that time, so his video was very informative. However, I gradually became more disappointed as I continued to watch him. He must be very insecure about his facial Filipino characteristics. To the point that he got plastic surgery to make his nose appear more slim and less like the traditional Filipino nose. I know its not in my place to tell him how to feel, but his insecurities are tearing him apart. His life revolves around his appearance, and now he's become a monster inside and out. 

I just wanted to share this because he's leaning towards the road of plastic surgery. But in Skorea there is this term called "plastic monster". It's referred to the people who has lost their natural characteristics due to the overuse of plastic surgery. 

I remember this, how he used to like shade his heritage "contour my filipino nose" and then got a nose job. It's sad, I think it was internalized hatred that only increased with his growing idealization for an unrealistic standard that he believes he can get. I don't think it's Korea's fault or anything, because how can an entire country of people be held accountable for 1 person's individual attitude towards themselves, but I think edward's like idealization for sensationalized `kpop star look` kind of helped him become this way, and it doesn't help his attitude imo. I think he sub holds friends like joan (i love her btw, very chill, nice, hardworking lady:alpacacrush:) to a higher degree than some others and (this is getting off) her... how should i say this... her involvement with her heritage (LOL) and thus connection to pop culture in korea have to do with it. 

basically i'm saying he seems like somewhat of a koreaboo who values the ~purer~ korean friends over the others, then if they look good too they're even higher than the other ones. And this is all somehow connected to insecurity relating to internalized self hate for his own looks/ethnicity/heritage from his environment and what he considers ideal beauty compared to what he was given. 

Posted

lmfao am i the only one who is noticing that his tutorials these days are literally all the same thing? Eddie you're nice and all, but you aren't a beauty guru that somebody should go to for tutorials. You're just a guy who likes makeup.

1.thumb.png.12646866b15901f7716131fc1a06

2.thumb.png.2590de755afded2381e0f9881f9e

Nobody would give him a second look if he was a woman doing the exact same thing. But because he's a sassy gay man, he's got all of these girls kissing up to him throwing the same stereotypical catchphrases at him in the comments "OMG DAT CUSHION DOH!!! SLAAAAAAAAAAAAY. OMG QUEEN YASSSS UR MAKEUP IS ON POINT" Gag :beardo: If he wants to say that kind of stuff fine, but it's like all of his followers are reaching for that "cute gay bff who will always go shopping with me~~~" kind of thing when he is seriously so bland. I can't even scroll down to read them they are so cringy

Posted

Nobody would give him a second look if he was a woman doing the exact same thing. But because he's a sassy gay man, he's got all of these girls kissing up to him throwing the same stereotypical catchphrases at him in the comments "OMG DAT CUSHION DOH!!! SLAAAAAAAAAAAAY. OMG QUEEN YASSSS UR MAKEUP IS ON POINT" Gag :beardo: If he wants to say that kind of stuff fine, but it's like all of his followers are reaching for that "cute gay bff who will always go shopping with me~~~" kind of thing when he is seriously so bland. I can't even scroll down to read them they are so cringy

It's fetishizing his sexuality, and just defining him by it, rather than realizing that he's just a super obnoxious dude bringing nothing new to Youtube, who's obsessed with Pony (which, don't get me wrong, great makeup artist but I'm still not buying every single goddamn thing from her line just because it's got her name on it). Honestly, his stereotypical attitude is so unnecessary, and just reminds me of the fake people I know. 

I remember this, how he used to like shade his heritage "contour my filipino nose" and then got a nose job. It's sad, I think it was internalized hatred that only increased with his growing idealization for an unrealistic standard that he believes he can get. I don't think it's Korea's fault or anything, because how can an entire country of people be held accountable for 1 person's individual attitude towards themselves, but I think edward's like idealization for sensationalized `kpop star look` kind of helped him become this way, and it doesn't help his attitude imo. I think he sub holds friends like joan (i love her btw, very chill, nice, hardworking lady:alpacacrush:) to a higher degree than some others and (this is getting off) her... how should i say this... her involvement with her heritage (LOL) and thus connection to pop culture in korea have to do with it. 

basically i'm saying he seems like somewhat of a koreaboo who values the ~purer~ korean friends over the others, then if they look good too they're even higher than the other ones. And this is all somehow connected to insecurity relating to internalized self hate for his own looks/ethnicity/heritage from his environment and what he considers ideal beauty compared to what he was given. 

I quite like Joan as well! I do see what you mean, though. It's quite sad that he seems to loathe his Filipino side, or at least on a superficial level. It's a little sad that the only content he puts out is related to Korea for an English speaking audience, rather than also showing his own heritage. 

Posted

Nobody would give him a second look if he was a woman doing the exact same thing. 

*cough*Bubzbeauty*cough* :haiplz:

Posted (edited)

It's fetishizing his sexuality, and just defining him by it, rather than realizing that he's just a super obnoxious dude bringing nothing new to Youtube, who's obsessed with Pony (which, don't get me wrong, great makeup artist but I'm still not buying every single goddamn thing from her line just because it's got her name on it). Honestly, his stereotypical attitude is so unnecessary, and just reminds me of the fake people I know. 

I wouldn't use the term 'fetishising' his own sexuality... Gay guys CAN play into stereotypes or go against them, just like any one of any gender or sexuality, neither is right or wrong really, and playing into stereotypes isn't an objectification of his sexuality or fetishisation imo... if he does act sassy and flamboyant at times, maybe that's just because of who he is or has become rather than pushing this 'sassy/gay image' for the sake of it. It really irks me when people have a problem with someone of whatever sexuality or background 'playing' in to a stereotype, because stereotype or not, some people might just really be into whatever it is/or just genuinely be that way.  

I agree though that his tutorials and stuff aren't really of high quality and quite a few of his looks just look the same, I mean I have watched/heard him say a few times that he doesn't claim to be a makeup artist/guru, just that he enjoys and has fun with makeup. Which leads me to question why he DOES have so many followers/subscribers, other than being a generally attractive guy who is into makeup. 

Edited by eggegg

Posted

I wouldn't use the term 'fetishising' his own sexuality... Gay guys CAN play into stereotypes or go against them, just like any one of any gender or sexuality, neither is right or wrong really, and playing into stereotypes isn't an objectification of his sexuality or fetishisation imo... if he does act sassy and flamboyant at times, maybe that's just because of who he is or has become rather than pushing this 'sassy/gay image' for the sake of it. It really irks me when people have a problem with someone of whatever sexuality or background 'playing' in to a stereotype, because stereotype or not, some people might just really be into whatever it is/or just genuinely be that way.  

I'm not saying he's fetishizing his own sexuality, it was aimed at his fans, and their comments pushing that sassy image. And my only problem is when people don't act in a genuine manner - I've met a number of people who play up a whole lot of stereotypes, but also show their own personality, and A+ for them. I just can't say the same for Edward, because I don't know him, I just watch his videos on Youtube. If he's acting genuine, good for him. 

Posted

He really doesn't appeal to me that much bc my koreaboo radar goes off when I see him in my recommended videos on YT. I personally like Brute Choi more since he's much simpler than Edward. He just covers up his acne and does some light contouring and that's pretty much it. He doesn't try to look like a try hard kpop idol like what Edward rubs me off as. Also Brute Choi's taste in music is good so I like his videos.

Posted

He's a friend of a friend.

He isn't a Koreaboo and he isn't mean. He's apparently super nice in person.

By the way you shouldn't tell people to "work on their skin first". Youtube is his job, first of all, and acne isn't something that is easy and simple for everybody. He can't just take a hiatus from Youtube and magically clear up his skin just to make you happy. His makeup not even have any correlation to his acne. I suffered from acne about as much as him, on the days I didn't wear makeup my skin actually would break out since I didn't have a barrier between my skin and the pollution from Korean air.

Posted

i remember being into him for a hot second when i was into the ulzzang trend but i fell out of it pretty fast and the vid of him saying the n word pretty much sealed the deal of me unsubbing him lol

i dont recall him ever apologizing for that but he did delete that video and i saw a post on ig (im pretty sure it was someone's edit of one of his selfies) and someone commented about how he said the n word. he replied to them saying he had black friends and somehow thought that meant it was ok for him to say it too but then realized his mistake and deleted the video

interesting how no one in the comments of that vid ever said anything about him saying the n word

Posted (edited)

I'm subscribed to him and i really likes him. I love his sassy side because it's not fake or trying too hard. Also, he's not sassy to be ''bitchy'', i think it's more his personality and his humor in general. I can relate to this, so maybe that's why i don't mind it so much. 

And i don't think he's playing the ''gay man yass gud'' card ?? Like how can you guys says that loll Some people ARE like this ! Anyway, he doesn't seems fake, like i wrote earlier. So far, he's been pretty much honest.

His makeup is repetitive yeah loll and he's not that skilled, but he's passable and he doesn't seems to be wanting to proclaim himself a ''Makeup Guru'' so i guess it's fine. Plus, YouTube don't seems to be his priority, i think he want to be a model ? I wish him the best of lucks.

Edited by Superboy

Posted

i remember being into him for a hot second when i was into the ulzzang trend but i fell out of it pretty fast and the vid of him saying the n word pretty much sealed the deal of me unsubbing him lol

i dont recall him ever apologizing for that but he did delete that video and i saw a post on ig (im pretty sure it was someone's edit of one of his selfies) and someone commented about how he said the n word. he replied to them saying he had black friends and somehow thought that meant it was ok for him to say it too but then realized his mistake and deleted the video

interesting how no one in the comments of that vid ever said anything about him saying the n word

i was wonderin why i couldnt find the video. I did see a comment saying "i hope you didnt say what i think you said". Its good he deleted the video. Idk why i dont usually leave yt comments even on channels like that, but tbh i think if i or somebody else did they would be bagged with replies about how he did nothing wrong and 'its just a word' i.e. unnecessary stress.

Posted

I feel like some of his videos do come across as a little koreaboo-ish... it might just be that 'Kpop idol makeup tutorial' videos tend to have that vibe, so the association is there, but I feel like he does very obviously try to make himself "seem Korean", not nearly on the level of Venus Angelic trying to be Japanese, but the tendency is still there.