• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

New PULL Rules Discussion

69 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello everyone, I plan on doing a rewrite of the rules and would like to get some input from the community before I go ahead with it. Here is everybody's chance to contribute, so please bring up any issues you want to discuss. 

Current rules, for reference:

1) Please respect people’s privacy.
- Do not post any personal information such as addresses or phone numbers
- Do not post full names or any other personal information of minors, even if they post it themselves. This rule applies to our chat as well.
- Do not drag random friends/family members into this unless they are directly related to their scamming/lying/cheating
- There is to be no harassment of people that are being discussed here that crosses into the real world. Do not contact family members, friends or anyone within their place of work or education with the intent to disrupt their life.
- No armchair diagnostics please

2) Please do not attack other members
- Do not threaten other members or wish them any kinds of harm (emotional, physical etc.)

3) Please do not attack any of the people that are being discussed here
- Do not threaten them or wish them any kinds of harm (emotional, physical etc.)
- Do not use this board to ruin someone’s reputation. Stay as factual as possible and do not post anybody in the little snowflakes section unless you have solid proof of their bad behaviour. When in doubt, please stick to the interesting people section

4) Please do not spam any of the topics
- Do not post anything in the summary threads unless you are 100% sure that it’s valuable information (feel free to ask us first when in doubt)
- Do not create new topics before you have used the “search“ function and have made sure that a similar thread does not already exist
- Stay on topic. A few gifs and personal remarks here and there are fine, but don’t clog up entire threads
- If you get into an argument with another user, please resolve the issue via PM instead of arguing in the thread.
- Please report overly offensive posts instead of openly confronting people and adding more fuel to the fire
- Please don’t contribute like crazy just for the sake of raking up posts

5) Do not post illegal stuff
- Pretty self-explanatory. If you are not sure about something please consult our staff before posting

6) No trolling; we will consider you a troll if you meet at least 4 of the following criteria:
- You are extremely intolerant of other people’s opinions and are not willing to discuss anything or listen to admins and mods
- You are constantly and purposefully stirring up drama just for the sake of upsetting other members
- Come to this board just to tell us how terrible we are
- Contribute very little besides drama
- Seem to be particularly interested in controversial topics
- Re-open old threads just for the sake of starting an argument
- You are very desperate about getting attention (such as spamming threads and posting an awful lot at once)
- Seem to go after a specific individual/kind of person only (e.g people who support homosexuals/transsexuals etc.)
- You are very obviously just pretending to be an asshole (lack of in-depth understanding of the topic you’re supposedly so passionate about, inconsistent posting style ect.)

7) Do not make multiple accounts/accounts under false pretenses
- No sockpuppets please. If you have to defend yourself, defend… Well, yourself.
- If you want your username changed, please ask one of our mods. There is no need to make a new account just because you don’t like your alias anymore

8) Do not use this board as a platform for self-presentation
- Do not promote yourself excessively. You are allowed to use pictures of you as your avatar and add your links to your signature and profile, but please don’t post either one anywhere else unless
a) The thread in question is about exchanging links
b) You have a very specific beauty and fashion question that you’d like to ask (haircut, hair color, makeup etc.)
Please keep in mind that promoting yourself at all might hurt your credibility as a forum member, and not all the attention you will be receiving might be positive. Each member is responsible for the content of their own profile/avatar/signature, so please keep that in mind before posting links
- No self-posting (= pretending to be someone else and making a thread about yourself in the interesting people/little snowflakes section and/or posting random people who supposedly harrassed you to get attention from this board and/or present yourself as a victim)
- Do not sign up for this board unless you are actually interested in at least one of the snowflakes and contribute regularly. Contribute to the discussion and exposing of snowflakes, not simplistic opinions for the sake of making post count. You don’t have to contribute grade A detective work every single time, but the majority of your posts should be constructive and not just random spam. Yes, this board does have OT areas and you are more than welcome to share your interests with other people and make friends, but if you come here just to talk about yourself all day and seek attention, you are not welcome here.

Penalties:
- If you break a rule once, you will get a warning (Or a moderator is going to call you out, depending on how severe the offence is. If your first strike is hoping that someone’s house will burn down we’re obviously going to take it a little more seriously than a new member double-posting)
- If you continue to break the rules, you will get a temporary ban first (lenght of ban depends on the severity of the offence)
- If you still overstep your boundaries or do something unforgiveable, you can kiss your account goodbye
- You will be banned immediately in any of the following situations:
a) Signing up just to tell us that we’re horrible people and that this forum sucks
b) Being a confirmed self-poster/sockpuppet account
c) Being an obvious troll
d) Sending death threats to any of our members or a random snowflake
e) Attempting to promote a random online shop on PULL
f) Being a confirmed double account (one of your profiles will be deleted)
g) Contacting family members, friends or anyone within their place of work or education with the intent to disrupt their life.

Regarding PULL's affiliation outside the forum:

1. Users that choose to contact a snowflake/3rd party outside of PULL cannot use PULL to justify their actions.

2. PULL takes no responsibility for what its users choose to say outside of the forum.

3. Users that decide to contact 3rd parties/snowflakes can and will be "denounced" (banned) if it causes harassment towards the snowflake.

Some topics of discussion:

Do you think users should be able to insult each other?

How much personal info on snowflakes is acceptable to reveal? 

Do you think that social justice should be part of our site? For example, should we make a greater push for acceptance of HAES, nonbinary identities, etc? 

What do you think constitutes a snowflake? (I'd like to have explicit guidelines about this)

Should snowflakes be allowed to visit and publicly defend themselves?

In the case of manual verification, what kind of criteria do you think we should expect users to know before they join PULL? Does this seem like a good idea?

What are other rules you'd like to see implemented, and which of our current rules should be modified / removed?

* New Question: What do you think the goal of PULL is / should be?

Posted

Is it possible for users to vote on whether to close a topic or not with providing reasons? 

Posted

Ok, here are my thoughts:

• No, under no circumstances should users resort to insulting each other. If there is a conflict, it needs to happen in PMs, and shouldn't be aired in the forum. This is just immature, but it also derails a lot of the threads because it usually turns into a yelling match.

Do you think that social justice should be part of our site? For example, should we make a greater push for acceptance of HAES, nonbinary identities, etc? 

• Yes. Beyond being the decent, human thing to do, with some of the snowflakes part of what makes them flakey is the fact that they have said racist, bigoted, sexist, and elitist things towards their fans and others. If there isn't a structure in place for all PULL members' behaviors, it can be seen as hypocritical. 

• I am somewhat mixed on this. On the one hand, I love watching what some of these snowflakes try to do and say to "attack" us. On the other, what is the actual point/goal in allowing them to defend themselves? I think that there can be value in giving snowflakes a chance to "clear the air," but I would say that there needs to be a no-editing rule for their posts and they understand that they need to have clear goals and evidence to present. No random Margo Starbucks rants; no Texan in Tokyo rambling; no BonBon "be nice, you're cute too" crap.  Perhaps if there was a requirement to present their case to the Mods before being able to post to a separate thread in their sub-forum.
  •  Does this make sense? I can totally clarify further.

Posted

Is it possible for users to vote on whether to close a topic or not with providing reasons? 

I like this idea! It depends on the way the vote is presented though, flakes might find some way to abuse the feature if it were available

I think the rules that are already in place are pretty good, and probably one of the reasons so many users didn't want to move elsewhere. I think insulting each other is okay, but only if it's satire, insulting everyone all over the place for real would probably make pull really shitty and a bad place to be for a lot of people

Posted

Here are my thoughts:

I think revealing their town/address/family members information is a bit overboard. Yes the snowflake may be a horrible person, but revealing too much information (like their town name) could put them in danger. Also, please leave their family out of the drama if they have nothing to do with anything. (I think this rule is already implemented in the venus thread?) 

I also think there should be restrictions for snowflakes that are minors. If a snowflake is under the age of 18 for their  own safety I don't think we should be posting their real name/personal fb/ extremely personal information here.

What do you think constitutes a snowflake?

Many things: lying, making sock puppet accounts, photoshopping, having a horrible personality.
This site is called pretty ugly little Liars. I feel like the main thing thing that constitutes a snowflake is that they have lied about something.

Yes and no.
I was always under the assumption that if someone had a thread in the online personalty thread, they may request a mod to close it? (This is what I was told atleast?)

I agree with @MayAllYourBaconBurn that I think if a snowflake would like to clear the air, they should contact a mod and discuss it with them and get the mods permission to post first. This will also verify that the account claiming to be that snowflake is actually real.

Personally, I'm not really that happy with snowflakes (/online personalities) making accounts here to clear the air because most of the time, they are just trying to "shut us up". Even if the person may not be happy that they have a thread here, I feel like we still should have the right to discuss them.

What are other rules you'd like to see implemented, and which of our current rules should be modified / removed?

Does anyone else think that we should maybe have an age restriction on people in the snowflake section? Personally, I think that if someone is 12/13/14 they are a bit too young to have a thread here. (This also kinda ties into, how much personal information is ok to post here.)

Posted (edited)

Should we consider a minimum age for the people that are posted about?

On signing up, there can be a quiz like who are the people on the banner or something. Although I heard the banner might be changed, due to rebranding. 

I was always under the assumption that if someone had a thread in the online personalty thread, they may request a mod to close it? (This is what I was told atleast?)

I agree with @MayAllYourBaconBurn that I think if a snowflake would like to clear the air, they should contact a mod and discuss it with them and get the mods permission to post first. This will also verify that the account claiming to be that snowflake is actually real.

Personally, I'm not really that happy with snowflakes (/online personalities) making accounts here to clear the air because most of the time, they are just trying to "shut us up". Even if the person may not be happy that they have a thread here, I feel like we still should have the right to discuss them.

I think we need to put up specific instructions for people in the online personalities section if they want their threads removed. It's a section that can be about general discussion and can even be mostly positive (see: Marzia's thread) but I would understand if they're uncomfortable with being discussed here.

Does anyone else think that we should maybe have an age restriction on people in the snowflake section? Personally, I think that if someone is 12/13/14 they are a bit too young to have a thread here. (This also kinda ties into, how much personal information is ok to post here.)

I think the safest minimum would be 18 but 16 might work. I think 14 might be too young. 

Maybe we can have a subforum dedicated to closing topics or w/e. You can make a poll when you start a topic. 

Edited by roller

Posted

As far as the rules go I think they're solid. They aren't hard to follow or breach at all. I've been a part of PULL since 2013 and have never received any sort of reprimand from a mod or admin.

Hello everyone, I plan on doing a rewrite of the rules and would like to get some input from the community before I go ahead with it. Here is everybody's chance to contribute, so please bring up any issues you want to discuss. 

Current rules, for reference:

Hidden Content

I went on lolcow and kiwifarms to check them out as "alternatives" to PULL and at first sight to each I thought to myself "HELL NO". That doesn't mean I would never register on either forum, but neither forum could ever live up to PULL's structure. I like the structure here. It's more mature and we focus more on the drama than create drama and we don't attack other users or other snowflakes (for the most part). Any users that start arguing with each other should take it to PM.

As long as it doesn't threaten their safety IRL (such as posting their address), their info is free game IMO.

No comment/opinion.

What do you think constitutes a snowflake? (I'd like to have explicit guidelines about this)

I think the Little Snowflakes forum description sums it up perfectly IMO.

Not really. Otherwise what is the point of this forum for then? If there is something that is truly false and they have evidence that shows whatever we've posted here false without a reasonable doubt, I guess PM someone on the mod team.

In the case of manual verification, what kind of criteria do you think we should expect users to know before they join PULL? Does this seem like a good idea?

I'm on another forum that has an introduction thread of something like "[READ ME] This is not like your regular forum". Maybe we should have a stickied thread like that where new users can go and read a brief description on what PULL is about and what its mission is?

I think everything else is ok IMO.

Posted

Sometimes the stuff that comes up in a thread needs clarification and it's really helpful when that person comes to help clear things up (thinking of people who maybe aren't snowflakes but have smaller threads here - like Rachel&Jun/TexanInTokyo). If they want to explain something then yeah, I think that's fair enough. Members can then decide through the discussion whether they think that explanation makes sense. I think they should have to prove who they are before we take anything as fact thought (like linking to a Twitter post maybe), and additionally if they just want a slanging match I think they should be banned.

Posted

Also, absolutely not. It just derails the point of the thread (and therefore the site) entirely. Satire is ok but how do you distinguish satire over type? It often fails and just ends up upsetting people, so I'd say it's safer just to have a "do not insult people" policy.

Posted

I don't think you should make a huge push for SJW esque stuff. I mean yeah, if some snowflake is like "hurr durr all jews die hurrr" then yeah, point it out. But, I'd prefer if the SJW stuff stuck to tumblr. Everyone has a different tolerance for things, and if it's universally seen as being rude or intolerant, go for it but I don't think that having a witch hunt would be good. Also, the thing with the push for non-binaries and such, I don't think you should slap "SAFE SPACE" on the front page, or make this some kind of site where it's near unacceptable to be a straight, white male/female.

I just think the mods should keep the more opinionated things (SJW like threads, making the site a safe space) away. Because personally, I think you may alienate members who may have different belief systems or are just cis heteros. It's your decision, but it just seems kind of bad IMO to make this into a tumblr like enviroment when we have a whole thread complaining about it there. I don't mean to sound bigoted or anything, I just don't want the community to shift into a SJW mindset and away from what it is.

I would give this a rep, but I'm all out for today.

I completely agree with this.

Posted (edited)

I would give this a rep, but I'm all out for today.

I completely agree with this.

I agree with this as well but also to tag on this let's not really try to bring race into the discussion unless necessary. However, if someone's personal experience comes into play I think we should hear them out. But if they go off topic and try to derail the post then, yeah we should stop it from occurring.

Edited by P.Y.T.

Posted

As long as people don't get too serious, I don't think there should be a problem disagreeing with someone in a way that isn't 100% uwu flowery and cutesy.

If they put it online, it should be acceptable.

No. If individuals want to do that, that's fine though. We aren't a hivehind.

Lying, photoshopping, making sock puppet accounts, acting like they're special, being really rude, probably some other things

Yes it's so much fun when they come 

I don't understand the question...

Change the reputation system! Unlimited reputation!! Not really a rule thing but I wanted to throw that out there 

I don't think you should make a huge push for SJW esque stuff. I mean yeah, if some snowflake is like "hurr durr all jews die hurrr" then yeah, point it out. But, I'd prefer if the SJW stuff stuck to tumblr. Everyone has a different tolerance for things, and if it's universally seen as being rude or intolerant, go for it but I don't think that having a witch hunt would be good. Also, the thing with the push for non-binaries and such, I don't think you should slap "SAFE SPACE" on the front page, or make this some kind of site where it's near unacceptable to be a straight, white male/female.

I just think the mods should keep the more opinionated things (SJW like threads, making the site a safe space) away. Because personally, I think you may alienate members who may have different belief systems or are just cis heteros. It's your decision, but it just seems kind of bad IMO to make this into a tumblr like enviroment when we have a whole thread complaining about it there. I don't mean to sound bigoted or anything, I just don't want the community to shift into a SJW mindset and away from what it is.

I agree with this post! Worded much better than mine :)

Posted (edited)

I have to agree with @Satan and having members vote on whether or not to close a thread. Each member could get one vote, and explain why they think a thread should or shouldn't be closed. Then the mods can review them and decide.

I also like the idea of having a page called "What is PULL?" or something so when people first come to the website, they'll know what we're about. 

Edited by Froot
added stuff

Posted

-No. Personal insults can be slung in PMs, as mentioned above.

-I think town/state/country is fine but full addresses reaches creepy status.

-Acceptance, yes totally, but no witch hunting people who aren't familiar with it. Kind education goes farther than yelling at someone.

-Scammimg, lying, cheating, massive amounts of photoshop, large public dramas, actively being a shithead.

-Yes, but if they seem to enjoy it, the privilege should be revoked.

-Elaborate please?

I like the current set. I DO think it would be good to have a section for self promotion so less people are tempted to make fake posts pretending they are a snowflake worthy of discussion. I mean, if they want to chose HERE of all places to do promotion let them throw themselves to the wolves lol.