• Announcements

• Snowflake Banner Poll!   02/17/17

Hello everyone! Please pick your three favorite snowflakes to be put in the new banner. Thanks a lot!   

akidearest/ The Anime Man

1308 posts in this topic

Posted

Akidearest/ Agnes and The Anime Man/ Joey

---

Akidearest/ Agnes

Youtube | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook (broken?) | MyAnimeList | Shop (warning: tentacles)

'Akidearest'/ Agnes is a Youtuber who makes videos about anime, vocaloids, etc., basically all the weeaboo topics. She is an American-Filipino living in the US, and she has visited Japan recently to visit her boyfriend, 'The Anime Man'/ Joey recently (late 2016).

Issues:

- doesn't research her videos properly; she frequently lifts texts from Wikipedia when giving information about a topic in her videos, highlighting how little she really knows about what she produces

- pissed off the vocaloid fandom; see this post and this post. She essentially makes Vocaloid videos with next to no knowledge about the industry/ community/ anything.

- steals art; has absolutely no regard for art that's posted publicly, edits it however she wants and gives no credit (nsfw):

3pDKPQS.thumb.jpg.5c1db62cc673d3a711d387

LNtC55P.thumb.jpg.633cf4305b1b6f1817ab88

- begs for art; asks for art intermittently, and also produces none of her channel or shop art herself as far as known

cringe.thumb.png.e68299942b8486b59d4aae5

- shota fetish; sexualising young children is a self-explanatory problem

- fan service; her lack of knowledge is covered up by sexualising herself constantly (nsfw I guess):

CnbZKGsVYAA8u43.thumb.jpg.e66139e54c8785

tl;dr - she's basically weeaboo who knows nothing about what she's saying.

---

The Anime Man/ Joey

Youtube | 2nd Channel | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | MyAnimeList

'The Anime Man'/ Joey is an anime Youtuber (because he actually knows what he's talking about, Joey is an anime Youtuber) who makes videos about current anime trends/ seasons/ roundups etc. He is Australian/ Japanese mix, living in Japan, and has recently visited his girlfriend (see above) in the US (early 2017). For a large part of 2016, Joey lived with Shine (Einshine/ ShinePhD), and he moved out in September 2016. If you want to read about Shine, please go to his thread.

Issues:

- dating a weeaboo despite saying he doesn't like weeaboos (trashed Venus with Shine, called her Queen Weeaboo etc.)

- features Aki in his videos and appears in her videos so frequently despite not wanting to be 'that couple' (spoiler: they are)

- 'satire'; "I'm self aware so it's fine!" (spoiler: no it's not always the case)

- loli fetish; he's not as vocal about it as Aki is with her shota fetish, but yeesh.

tl;dr - most of his problems comes from his relationship with Aki, but he has his own issues too.

Posted

I occasionally watch her videos when they show up on my newsfeed. I'm not a fan of hers by all means, but I don't think her behaviour can be considered problematic. Yes, a lot of people may associate "otaku" with bad connotations but personally, I don't think it is at all. It's just another way of calling oneself a nerd. 

I'm not quite sure about the credit part since I haven't really thought or noticed it. 

Posted

-Doesn't give credit to the artists who drew the fanarts she uses for her videos, or the songs' producers

I never noticed if she did this. Do you have the link to this? I've only watched a few videos (mostly the vocaloid list videos) but from what I've seen she always had proper links and credits in her description.

Posted

I never noticed if she did this. Do you have the link to this? I've only watched a few videos (mostly the vocaloid list videos) but from what I've seen she always had proper links and credits in her description.

For example, one of the more famous videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROmWYMMhEyY she puts the links for the songs but still no mention of where the fanarts came from (sure they were just here for one sec before each video but since she used one as thumbnail proper credit should be given especially considering how famous she is. Most artists are very protective of their art and rarely allow others to reupload it especially without proper sourcing )

Posted

omg never call yourself ''otaku''

srsly cringy af; also makes you look like a poser tryna be ''anime freak xDDD''

Posted

she can be quite the tryhard sometimes but overall i like her enough to watch a few of her vids but not enough to actually subscribe

i don't find her problematic at all, though

Posted

I heard of her. I used to watch some of her videos. Like what the others said, she calls herself an otaku and makes youtube videos about vocaloid, anime etc. She's also a Fil-Am (Filipino-American). I know because she said that in one of her videos about how her family accepted her as an otaku and spoke some tagalog. I think that she's just trying to be funny and entertaining even though she might look like a try hard or cringey to some (imo). I think she may have a connection to a youtuber, "The Anime Man" because she talks about him in some of her videos. I think they were feautured together in another video and I've seen them talk in each other's youtube videos but I dont really know much about them other than my observations.

Posted

I've always wondered about this but is she and Joey (TheAnimeMan) in a relationship or just at that friend level where they are comfortable calling each other bby and what not-? :Alpacaconfused: their relationship really confuses me 

Posted (edited)

I've always wondered about this but is she and Joey (TheAnimeMan) in a relationship or just at that friend level where they are comfortable calling each other bby and what not-? :Alpacaconfused: their relationship really confuses me 

I think they're just friends but they flirt with each other online to try to make their fans ship them (like what Joey did with Shine by making a video dedicated to kissing each other :beardo:). It's a bit cringey to me how these anime vloggers are pushing the shipping onto their fans. Usually things like that happen naturally. You don't have to give constant "fanservice" and make the fans ship you; the fans will decide by themselves whom they are going to ship.

As for my opinion on Aki - We get it, you like tentacles. No need to tell us about it every chance you get :hmm:

Edited by Legolas

Posted

I think they're just friends but they flirt with each other online to try to make their fans ship them (like what Joey did with Shine by making a video dedicated to kissing each other :beardo:). It's a bit cringey to me how these anime vloggers are pushing the shipping onto their fans. Usually things like that happen naturally. You don't have to give constant "fanservice" and make the fans ship you; the fans will decide by themselves whom they are going to ship.

As for my opinion on Aki - We get it, you like tentacles. No need to tell us about it every chance you get :hmm:

really-?!

That's kinda ridiculous :alpacaworry: I kinda get that it can boost their popularity but what if they get actual partners-? Their fans would most likely attack them for breaking apart their ship. Plus, I kinda find that it's Aki who's actively showing it (unless I'm wrong because I'm still a bit new to Joey's channel) and it seems too excessive--

Posted

I personally like Aki, I think she is quite smart in how she markets herself (perverted, dorky, quirky, flirty yet informative enough) and the click bait/objectification of herself is working wonders for her the growth of her channel, I commend her for it. Power of a woman. 

As for her and Joeys relationship I think they are just both flirtatious, perverted people who are two peas in a pod. I also believe they may sext--weird thing to assume, I know--as one time Aki bought a skimpy kitty keyhole outfit and as she tweeted out about having purchased it, Joey tweeted her saying "I know." which could allude to a sexual exchange between the two via text, skype, whatever, which is a scandalous thought, just me reading between the lines though, may or may not be so. They tend to flirt openly online often, but I unfollowed Joey a while ago and haven't kept track since.

Here are the tweets in question:image.thumb.jpeg.5d6f42607536117853e6a11

Here is said kitty keyhole outfit: image.thumb.jpeg.e44f0d85b3cdb91a392feb9Because of how openly perverted the two are I wouldn't put it past them, which isn't to say a bad thing. It's some juicy goss, though! 

What are your thoughts? 

Posted (edited)

Knowing that this forum will close soon, I'll just let all my crazy thoughts and theory out then.

As for her and Joeys relationship I think they are just both flirtatious, perverted people who are two peas in a pod. I also believe they may sext--weird thing to assume, I know--as one time Aki bought a skimpy kitty keyhole outfit and as she tweeted out about having purchased it, Joey tweeted her saying "I know." which could allude to a sexual exchange between the two via text, skype, whatever, which is a scandalous thought, just me reading between the lines though, may or may not be so. They tend to flirt openly online often, but I unfollowed Joey a while ago and haven't kept track since.

That's what they want everyone to think. They're doing all this flirting to make their fans think that there's something going on between them, when in reality there is actually none. They know how the anime/YouTube fandom works and they know how to fish their fans to start shipping them. It probably went a little something like this:

A: Hey, since shipping works so well on YouTube, why don't we insinuate that we're dating so that our fans will start shipping us? I'm sure that will work well for both our channels because it will make us both more relevant!

J: Good idea! Hi-five fam!

J & A: *high five each other while watching their fans squeal in glee at their "romantic" tweets*

Edited by Legolas

Posted (edited)

Pics from lolcow because this thread is v low in pictures haha

1456005967663.jpg

(lmao her shoop skills tho)

1456054524717.jpg

^ According to lolcow (even though I'm pretty sure they are right) she cosplayed le anime man's obv fav girl

Body pic in spoiler omg holy shit

1461290349205.png

sorry that the pics came out huge..

Edited by Toukv