• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Akidearest and The Anime Man

8711 posts in this topic

Posted

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 6.53.22 PM.png

i know this is a bit late (been afk from the internett for a while) but this kind of high horse "non ya bussines" attitude is one of the things i hate about Joey. Listen, if you make it 100% that you have an internet friend group and you constantly collaborate with them you don't get to complain about people being curious about it. When you make something public like that you don't get to bitch about people being curious. Like, if he now breaks up with Aki and just suddenly stops making videos with her (without announcing it) he's going to complain about people being creepy and obsessive because they wonder what's happened. No Joey, when you insist on making relationships public especially to the degree you do that's what happens. If you don't want that to happen then stop forcing your relationships onto your public channel.

He has this "respect famous peoples private life" attitude that just pisses me off. Sure, there's a lot of fans that get too intrusive about famous people, but the things he considers intrusive or harassing are neither of those things in reality.

it's like a video he made on his vlog channel where moaned about the fact that fans said "omg you're real!" when they saw him at some anime con. Because apparently that shows that they don't see famous people as real people. It's just so stupid. He spent around 10 minutes complaining about it. Seriously his ego is so goddamn bloated.

Posted

agnes is in japan for two months? guess who isnt gonna be watching joeys vids lol. im thinking about unsubbing from him. i loved his channel a few years ago from when he had a few thousand subs even to when he was growing popular. but at some point his ego just blew up. he used to be so chill and genuine and his content was nice. sigh its just a shame. you can see a drastic difference between his old videos and his new. change is expected of course but you can tell the fame got to him. i cant stand his attitude nor agnes tbh so thats why ive not watched anything from him in ages. i noticed with a lot of jvloggers that theyve become so egotistical and dramatic. along with making mediocre content, its all just a shame seeing them all turn out this way when a lot of them, including joey, could have been so much more. now its "cool" to be cringy for views and being an asshole. youtube fame really does change people. 

Posted (edited)

>Agnes
>Two months in Japan

Now this is going to be interesting. Will she even manage to get anywhere without Joey and what would shopping with Sharla & Taytay be like? I mean, she doesn't exactly speak Japanese and she's not a "beauty" in the same way that the other girls are. I wonder what would happen if they were to break up during the middle of her stay. Would she just go back to the U.S. or stay until the end?

Also lol @ the comments

Half of the comment section is filled with "SOMEBODY'S MISSING" comments, I think that is the reason why Joey wrote the tweets posted here.

He should just explain the situation and get this over with. You can't just go around declaring loudly and clearly that you have an internet friend group and hang out with them in videos all the time and then become all butthurt when people wonder what happened after you've broken up. "We have this thing everybody else calls "privacy"", no, Joey, the moment you chose to expose your internet friend life on Youtube, it stopped being private. If you don't want people to speculate about what happened then you shouldn't have made so many collaborations with your friends to begin with.

Edited by JunkFood

Posted

>Agnes
>Two months in Japan

Now this is going to be interesting. Will she even manage to get anywhere without Joey and what would shopping with Sharla & Taytay be like? I mean, she doesn't exactly speak Japanese and she's not a "beauty" in the same way that the other girls are. I wonder what would happen if they were to break up during the middle of her stay. Would she just go back to the U.S. or stay until the end?

Also lol @ the comments

Half of the comments is filled with "SOMEBODY'S MISSING" comments, I think that is the reason why Joey wrote the tweets posted here.

He should just explain the situation and get this over with. You can't just go around declaring loudly and clearly that you have an internet friend group and hang out with them in videos all the time and then become all butthurt when people wonder what happened after you've broken up. "We have this thing everybody else calls "privacy"", no, Joey, the moment you chose to expose your internet friend life on Youtube, it stopped being private. If you don't want people to speculate about what happened then you shouldn't have made so many collaborations with your friends to begin with.

Lol Taylor can't speak Japanese either.. Maybe Aki and Taylor could bond over that :harharplz:

Posted

Okay, so this popped up in my recommendations (and sorry, its an old video) and holy shit he is such a fucking baby in this! The SBS doesn't just cater to your needs Joey, and yes, I agree that sometimes the English voice actors aren't great but neither are the Japanese (I mean have you HEARD the Japanese Goku from DBZ??!!), Joey YOUR preference is to watch anime in Japanese, but for others they may not. Not everyone can read English and there may not be any subtitles in their language, not everyone is a good reader, not everyone likes the sound of the Japanese voice actors. And yes, I'm well aware that the SBS has foreign shows with English subtitles, but what if they couldn't get their hands on an English subbed copy of the anime? God, people like him are the reason I don't watch anime.

Also sorry for changing the subject to Joey and bringing up an old video, I just wanted to rage. 

Posted

English voice acting is amazing nowadays. Do you know how bad that crap was in the 80's and early 90's? They eventually redubbed Akira FFS. Joey is such a kid.

Posted (edited)

English voice acting is amazing nowadays. Do you know how bad that crap was in the 80's and early 90's? They eventually redubbed Akira FFS. Joey is such a kid.

I've been a lurker for years on this site, and I can't believe I just made an account to comment about this, but I did. English voice acting IS good when it comes to their own animations. When it comes to English dubbed content, or any dubbed content, really, I just think there is something about it that I find unnatural, if that makes sense. For instance, I have watched Disney cartoons in Japanese and Korean before, it just doesn't feel or sound like it flowed very well to my ears. And vice versa when I watch Japanese/Korean animations in english.

That's just my personal opinion, and I find it inappropriate to bash others that prefer dubbed content, so the overall way Joey tries to express his "opinions" is really aggravating, and he comes off incredibly pretentious. 
Edited by Bubble0330

Posted

i find it depends on the anime if the sub or dubbed better. some the voice actors or so bad that you have to watch it subbed. others the english voice actors suit the characters better than the original.

Posted

i find it depends on the anime if the sub or dubbed better. some the voice actors or so bad that you have to watch it subbed. others the english voice actors suit the characters better than the original.

it's really a mixed bag but some dubs are done very well or i dont mind the voices that much. Ghibli tends to be great for example. I cannot watch the Yuri on ice dub to save my life. But to say they all suck is childish and not openminded. 

Posted (edited)

My favourite dub would probably be Hellsing. I think this is where Joey's 'holier than thou' personality was kinda solidified for me and I remember raging the first time I saw that video in 2013, it just seems like a really petty thing to make a video about. And yeah, I agree it really is a mixed bag when it comes to good English (or any other language for that matter) dubs. It's just entertainment Joey,chill.

Edited by Sparklefist

Posted (edited)

*rages* :rageplz: 

Some dubbed anime are better than subbed anime and that's not just my opinion. Durarara!, Ergo proxy, Hellsing ultimate, Monster, (to name a few) all have great voice actors and are also amazing animes. Johnny Yong Bosch, Crispin Freeman, Jason Liebrecht and Liam O'Brian really know their stuff and are some of my favourite voice actors..

Edited by Iagzie

Posted

*rages* :rageplz: 

Some dubbed anime are better than subbed anime and that's not just my opinion. Durarara!, Ergo proxy, Hellsing ultimate, Monster, (to name a few) all have great voice actors and are also amazing animes. Johnny Yong Bosch, Crispin Freeman, Jason Liebrecht and Liam O'Brian really know their stuff and are some of my favourite voice actors..

Hellsing Ultimate and Monster English dubbed was pretty good. Don't know about Durarara! though. It doesn't feel the same without hearing Hiroshi Kamiya as Izaya (his voice just really brought the character to life, for me). However, Baccano! was amazing in English. The dub really nailed the characters perfectly. FMAB and older shows like Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bepop, and Yu Yu Hakusho sounded a lot better in English, too. And how can we forget Space Dandy?

I still prefer subbed content overall, but I acknowledge that there are dubs out there that are pretty impressive in their own right considering it's a pretty niche market in the west, and it's expensive to hire well-known or very experienced voice actors. I like Joey, but he just has his head way too far up his own ass. 

Posted (edited)

Not to mention that to make something better, you gotta experience a lot. I'm not a fan of most translated dubs (and by that I mean dubs that are not the original audio) out there, I have lots of reasons for disliking it, but I don't discourage people or even big companies to make dub a thing, because the more you do, the more it gets better, right? It's like animation itself, it begins with a very low quality until we have now specialized studios for making the most high quality animations possible. 

It's like what @OrangeMedley said about dubs in general:

English voice acting is amazing nowadays. Do you know how bad that crap was in the 80's and early 90's?

Yes. We're still evolving. It's just a matter of time. But suddenly cutting it out only because it's bad... that's nonsense, that's why I go back to that video posted some days/weeks ago, the one about Live-Action adaptations

My reaction to this title that was discussed some weeks ago in this thread was something like this alpaca: :alpacadone:

live-action-title.thumb.png.701557930808

And I know, it's true that there haven't been great live action movies since... what? 1970?... some might be thinking "Around 40 years and they still didn't manage to make a good live-action movie?! That's a lot of time, right?!" No. Specially because 1970 was the end of Meiji Era when Japan started getting industrialized: 30 years after Europe. I'm not going into details and give a lecture about Japanese History, but, to sum up, Japan opened itself to other cultures and countries pretty late. And lecturing Japan by saying that they should "get better at making live actions" at the snap of fingers when all you really want is a Hollywood-ish movie kinda kills the essence of the content produced by Japan.

In my opinion Japan is still finding its place in the film market and they are trying different things instead of simply copying the usual american successful movie recipe. Their culture is different, so what they enjoy is different too. I don't know how to end this post, so enjoy an early manga live-action adaptation trailer.

Edited by kuroi

Posted

Hellsing Ultimate and Monster English dubbed was pretty good. Don't know about Durarara! though. It doesn't feel the same without hearing Hiroshi Kamiya as Izaya (his voice just really brought the character to life, for me). However, Baccano! was amazing in English. The dub really nailed the characters perfectly. FMAB and older shows like Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bepop, and Yu Yu Hakusho sounded a lot better in English, too. And how can we forget Space Dandy?

I still prefer subbed content overall, but I acknowledge that there are dubs out there that are pretty impressive in their own right considering it's a pretty niche market in the west, and it's expensive to hire well-known or very experienced voice actors. I like Joey, but he just has his head way too far up his own ass. 

Oh really? I thought the dubbed voice of Izaya made his character, hence why i haven't seen season 2 yet because i can't find a dubbed version yet unfortunately and don't want to watch the subbed version

Izaya's voice *drool* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNRCJ-fYUM