• Announcements

• Moderator Applications Open!   05/20/17

Hi everyone! We're looking to expand our moderation team. See this thread for the link if you are interested. Thanks!

simply_kenna

5218 posts in this topic

Posted

Am I the only one who doesn't really see any improvement with the ice skating??? I'm not an ice skating expert but she seems just so mediocre and all the videos she post kind of all look the same. 

Also, with most of her Ice skating videos she uses the same " gUYZ I KnoW iM cRAP" like please just post your video and go. 

yeah I feel like that too. I don't know why someone would lie to her and tell her that she can go the olympics. 

Posted (edited)

Seriously, how long is she going to keep this all comments off thing going? Just give up and delete all your accounts if youre going to be a big sissy about one of the most major parts of your "career" (social media INFLUENCER anyone?). Its legitimately been almost a month.

Also i saw on her post that there was a comment that she liked that said something along the lines of "'why do you keep your comments off?' this is why. You guys keep saying so many mean things" and let me just say 1) we all knew why her comments were off, nobody asked and 2) yeah, some people can get petty (on the internet of all places, can you believe it?), but the vast majority of "negative/deleted comments were just people wanting answers about the whole shitty plagarism thing, maybe she should quit taking things so damn hard? 

Edited by Oh Pooh

Posted (edited)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this here but she posted this and replied to someone saying she taped in some sketches. its a bit of a stretch to say that shes claiming them as her own... she could've also meant like pictures she found online idrk..

edit: also cringe to that person saying kenna replying made their month

kenna6.JPG

ckxtk.jpg

Edited by avarules3814
cringe

Posted (edited)

In reply to this ^^ idk I interpreted it as from Google but who knows?

On the bit about ice skating: so I do a lot of ice skating (still not nearly as good as Kenna ahaha) but 1) I don't see much improvement either?? Idk could be the clip but.... 2) she wasn't even doing crossovers, lol she was just going backwards. Maybe she was referring to an off camera bit but like it seemed like she was just dropping terms that sound impressive to reinforce the "omg btw I skate 4 times a week I am so bad (compliment me pls)" tbf I've seen her do crossover in other clips but not sure if they were backwards, idk.

EDIT: did my research, she can do backwards crossovers (post from April 20) my bad

Edited by andtheand

Posted

I feel like she doesn't skate as often as she says she does but has been reading here about how some people have said she does nothing all day and is trying to make it seem like she is so deep into her hobbies or something, even though she literally goes on about how she does nothing but sit at home and watch anime the rest of the time.

As for the post talking about how Kenna could effect people's self esteem, especially teenage fans, I was fifteen when I started watching her (around 2 years ago) and can honestly say she lended heavily to my already pre existing self esteem issues and feelings of inadequacy. I thought she was a person to aspire to be like just because her life was pretty and she said a lot of tumblr inspirational quotes on her channel and I was naive enough to believe that's what she was truly like. It got to the point where I would watch all her videos on repeat to try and work out how I could make myself more like her because I assumed she was really happy and fulfilled. I only broke out of that cycle when she got obsessed with Sherlock overnight and stumbled across guru gossip and here while trying to find out if she'd mentioned it before. I hate to think her whole fan base and internet fame is based on making teenagers feel like shit about themselves, but it is, if I'm anything to go by, so much for the 'positive mind, positive vibes, positive life' persona she puts out.

(sorry if this literally makes no sense)

Posted (edited)

Am I the only one who doesn't really see any improvement with the ice skating??? I'm not an ice skating expert but she seems just so mediocre and all the videos she post kind of all look the same. 

Also, with most of her Ice skating videos she uses the same " gUYZ I KnoW iM cRAP" like please just post your video and go. 

As an ex figure skater, her skating sucks. Like, it's great she has a hobby she enjoys, but she is not skilled in any sense. That is genuinely one shitty ass loop. Her free leg is in the complete wrong position. I'd be nicer about her lack of skill if she wasn't such an egotistical brat.

Edited by transmission

Posted

I'm no ice skating expert,i've only skated a handful of times but i've seen small children in classes that skate better than Kenna.

And i don't know why she's making such a big deal about ONE comment?Oh NO can you believe someone asked something instead of worshipping her???Delete everything Kenna.Don't want the HaterZ to ~turn your life blue~ *cue anime theme* 

Posted

As an ex figure skater, her skating sucks. Like, it's great she has a hobby she enjoys, but she is not skilled in any sense. That is genuinely one shitty ass loop. Her free leg is in the complete wrong position. I'd be nicer about her lack of skill if she wasn't such an egotistical brat.

isn't it better to learn the real basics perfectly first before attempting to move on? Like I have no clue about ice skating maybe you can enlighten me on that.

Posted (edited)

Really wish these two would stop romanticizing depression and anxiety. They treat it like it's this thing that makes a person beautifully tragic. It's not. I'm pretty sure most of us have either had depression/anxiety or seen what it can do to someone. Dodie is perhaps the more extreme of the two with their portrayal of metal issues. I'm not saying that they both don't have any of these problems. But the way they represent it to their young audience leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's enough that we see depression glorified in television, books, movies, and songs. But to see a Youtuber, who is seemingly more real than those previously listed media forms, give these problems a rosy light seems wrong. Maybe these two always are beautiful when depressed. But I'm usually in my pajamas, sweaty, heaving, and incapable of being anything remotely productive. 

I think it's GREAT to show mental issues with your audience. And to let a younger audience be aware it exists instead of codling them. But to idealize it is wrong. Sharing a beautiful picture and some gloomy words makes it appealing. I use to think as a thirteen year old: If I was as sad as these characters or this song, would I be beautiful too? And so when I did get depression in the beginning of my undergraduate life, I didn't tell anyone. It was engrained in me that I was more than what I use to be. I was a deep soul burdened with emotion. Nope, I was just on the tragic path of becoming socially crippled and borderline suicidal. I should gotten professional help WAAAY sooner. But people like Kenna and Dodie make it seem attractive. Make it seem good. So I'm being harsh on them. When you're influencing so many people, in particular young people, you should treat serious matters seriously instead of promotional tools. 

I don't think Dodie glorifies it at all. She is extremely real with herself and she honestly looks like absolute shit when she is making a very raw and emotional video. Personally, I resonate with her quite a bit and when I feel like absolute shit and have dug myself into a pit again, I watch all her mental health videos because it's so nice to visually see that I'm not the only one who feels like this. She is an emotional being and she's not shy to share it, and that's okay. I myself am highly emotional but I just bottle it up and don't post about it for the sake of people saying I'm taking it or glorifying it, just like you did in your statement up there, when in reality I just want to post to know that someone out there will see it to help me feel a bit more real I guess.  

I genuinely think she is one of the more honest YouTubers out there, especially with who she is as a person. Just because she associates herself with Kenna doesn't mean anything. Dodie just wants to see the best in people and it seems like their friendship is rather new. Kenna is a snake, I'm sure she's painted a pretty picture of herself in Dodie's eyes and the whole "get well soon" posts probably blind her more. When someone is so Ill and mentally weak, they crave help and attention from just about anyone that can justify their cravings to feel somewhat okay and not so crappy shout themselves. 

Edited by saltfox

Posted (edited)

Seriously, how long is she going to keep this all comments off thing going? Just give up and delete all your accounts if youre going to be a big sissy about one of the most major parts of your "career" (social media INFLUENCER anyone?). Its legitimately been almost a month.

Also i saw on her post that there was a comment that she liked that said something along the lines of "'why do you keep your comments off?' this is why. You guys keep saying so many mean things" and let me just say 1) we all knew why her comments were off, nobody asked and 2) yeah, some people can get petty (on the internet of all places, can you believe it?), but the vast majority of "negative/deleted comments were just people wanting answers about the whole shitty plagarism thing, maybe she should quit taking things so damn hard? 

I feel like she WANTS the hate to show how relevant she is. She shows no focus on her fans and only seems to pay attention to the haters. She literally has an army of brain washed little girls who don't care or understand how bad plagiarism. Of course since the exposing video more people are asking for her to explain herself but she still has many fans. Her alone by disabling the comments is making the situation worse if a new person that has never heard of her find her channel and all her comments are disabled they might look her up find this page and find out how shity she and not subscribe thus  affecting her "job". Honestly if she really is an INTJ like she claims she would be smarter than this.

Edited by unknownme

Posted

I'm just randomly throwing this out there from a post made from like last year but she isn't a Buddhist because if she's getting defensive and acting as she is, she's already going against the beliefs. Patience and empathy she needs, and if she doesn't have that she must meditate on that and respect other people's feelings and opinions. 

I come from a Buddhist family so there's my source 👌

Posted

Lol guys, I think she goes to Ontario ice skating arena ice skating school. In Ontario CA. I-Phone%20pictures%20149.jpg

Posted

I mean, there's nothing wrong with being a weak skater, no matter how much I love the sport I'm terrible at it, but practically preaching you're the next Yuna Kim from day one only makes people way more critical of you. People would take her 100x more seriously if she hadn't said she was capable of going to the Olympics after about three lessons, lmao. She could have made a series about improving, but she had to rush in and say she was so much better than everyone else from the get go, so when she isn't actually that good at it, she's just inviting people to criticise her and we all know how Kenna deals with criticism, lmao.