• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

youtube Sharla in Japan

5746 posts in this topic

Posted

I have the feeling, that her 'Unsubscribers' webseries is a Life Is Strange rip off.

Posted

She really is starting to look more and more like Taylor...Screenshot_2016-10-29-12-25-59.thumb.png

I thought the same thing, I don't think she wants to look like Taylor but she definitely is changing her style, clothes and hair now. I wonder why is she changing like this, or why this sudden change. I liked the Sharla before all this changes she looked nice, and I don't know maybe more approachable. Now I think she wants to look like the rest. 

Posted

I thought the same thing, I don't think she wants to look like Taylor but she definitely is changing her style, clothes and hair now. I wonder why is she changing like this, or why this sudden change. I liked the Sharla before all this changes she looked nice, and I don't know maybe more approachable. Now I think she wants to look like the rest. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32bfeMVCnE

^^ that's taylor's pumpkin carving vlog. from even just the thumbnail you can tell the stark similarities in both girl's looks. it's like they're twins lol. sharla, please find your own style.

Posted (edited)

New video from Sharla's Sharmander channel. Intros at Taylor's guest room before Sharla leaves, Shar. goes to eat, and then gets her hair done. Afterward, she goes back to Tay's and you can see her perspective from at Taylor's from 3:43 til the end. They do a Q&A at 8:40.

Edited by Whythough
somewhat of a summary added.

Posted

She really is starting to look more and more like Taylor...Screenshot_2016-10-29-12-25-59.thumb.png

RIGHT , I thought it wa just me being critical. Are any of these girls original?

sigh. Peer pressure, man.

Posted

I can't wait for the video where Sharla goes Single White Female on Taylor.  :P  

Posted

Well this was actually pretty interesting. From her vlog/personal channel. 

Is a shame they didn't do something more with it, all the effort to do the makeup to film a 10-20 seconds clip. All in all is great she has the chance to do this small things on the side.

Posted

RIGHT , I thought it wa just me being critical. Are any of these girls original?

sigh. Peer pressure, man.

I can't believe I've signed up just to respond to this stuff, but I felt the need to insert a little logic into the gossip train about Sharla's "attempts to copy Taylor" and "be unoriginal".

There are a lot of things people in this thread seem to have failed to take into account when considering Sharla's current look. Numero uno, the hair colour: Sharla has said since day one that her ideal hair colour is ash blonde, similar to what she currently has. From there, we'll go to straightened hair: It's just flat out easier to deal with in general, and less of a pain in the butt to get to look right. Just brush and go. She's been doing it on and off since before Taylor ever moved to Japan. Taylor just simply showed her there was a way to do it without utterly decimating her hair so she's keeping it like that as her default, and in my opinion, it looks good on her.

Next, we'll move on to makeup: Taylor is a professional model. She's also friends with Bronwyn, a professional beauty guru. This is a wealth of information on makeup, hair products, and skin care that Sharla has never before had access to. Naturally, she's going to take advice from the people that know what they're doing, and most of her videos lately where there have been updates to her look have been self-professed "tryouts", seeing what products Taylor or Bronwyn uses that might also look good on her, seeing if the products they suggest help, etc. She's readily admitted she doesn't like a lot of the looks she's tried out, including many of Taylor's favoured ones. It's no different than someone suggesting someone else try a new food recipe, like they've ended up doing with that macaroni recipe both of them love now.

For the new look, I'll finish up with the glasses: Yes, she's wearing glasses now. Is it because Taylor wears glasses as well? No, it's because she's admitted she's pretty much as blind as a bat, but yet can't wear contacts for more than a few hours before her eyes dry out and it becomes too painful for her to keep them in anymore. Seems a reasonable enough reason to me to switch to glasses.

Lastly, I'll go with the switch to veganism: She's already said she has a bunch of vegans in her family, and she comes from Canada's vegan paradise, BC. Half the people I know around here are strict vegans, vegetarians, or pescetarians (though I could never give up meat, I understand people who think otherwise. I'd raise cows myself if need be, but I totally get why people switch).

I just wonder if anybody's considered that this might actually be closer to Sharla's personal ideal look, or even just simply that she's trying to take more care of her appearance now that she's getting older? Not everything is about being a sheep. Sometimes it really is up to personal aesthetic choice and a loss of ignorance on a subject.

Woo, first post text block. Kudos to anyone who actually got all the way through it.

Posted

I can't believe I've signed up just to respond to this stuff, but I felt the need to insert a little logic into the gossip train about Sharla's "attempts to copy Taylor" and "be unoriginal".

There are a lot of things people in this thread seem to have failed to take into account when considering Sharla's current look. Numero uno, the hair colour: Sharla has said since day one that her ideal hair colour is ash blonde, similar to what she currently has. From there, we'll go to straightened hair: It's just flat out easier to deal with in general, and less of a pain in the butt to get to look right. Just brush and go. She's been doing it on and off since before Taylor ever moved to Japan. Taylor just simply showed her there was a way to do it without utterly decimating her hair so she's keeping it like that as her default, and in my opinion, it looks good on her.

Next, we'll move on to makeup: Taylor is a professional model. She's also friends with Bronwyn, a professional beauty guru. This is a wealth of information on makeup, hair products, and skin care that Sharla has never before had access to. Naturally, she's going to take advice from the people that know what they're doing, and most of her videos lately where there have been updates to her look have been self-professed "tryouts", seeing what products Taylor or Bronwyn uses that might also look good on her, seeing if the products they suggest help, etc. She's readily admitted she doesn't like a lot of the looks she's tried out, including many of Taylor's favoured ones. It's no different than someone suggesting someone else try a new food recipe, like they've ended up doing with that macaroni recipe both of them love now.

For the new look, I'll finish up with the glasses: Yes, she's wearing glasses now. Is it because Taylor wears glasses as well? No, it's because she's admitted she's pretty much as blind as a bat, but yet can't wear contacts for more than a few hours before her eyes dry out and it becomes too painful for her to keep them in anymore. Seems a reasonable enough reason to me to switch to glasses.

Lastly, I'll go with the switch to veganism: She's already said she has a bunch of vegans in her family, and she comes from Canada's vegan paradise, BC. Half the people I know around here are strict vegans, vegetarians, or pescetarians (though I could never give up meat, I understand people who think otherwise. I'd raise cows myself if need be, but I totally get why people switch).

I just wonder if anybody's considered that this might actually be closer to Sharla's personal ideal look, or even just simply that she's trying to take more care of her appearance now that she's getting older? Not everything is about being a sheep. Sometimes it really is up to personal aesthetic choice and a loss of ignorance on a subject.

Woo, first post text block. Kudos to anyone who actually got all the way through it.

umm, your basically just proved the point even more that Sharla has been influenced alot by the other jvloggers and Taylor. No one is saying that Sharla looks bad, but she is looking quite a bit like her. Also noone dislikes Sharla so relax, she not in the Snowflake section.

Like i said in my previous post, Sharla must have received alot of positve feedback when Taylor did sharlas makeup in her (Taylors) style. so im guessing that may have influenced her.

Posted

umm, your basically just proved the point even more that Sharla has been influenced alot by the other jvloggers and Taylor. No one is saying that Sharla looks bad, but she is looking quite a bit like her. Also noone dislikes Sharla so relax, she not in the Snowflake section.

Like i said in my previous post, Sharla must have received alot of positve feedback when Taylor did sharlas makeup in her (Taylors) style. so im guessing that may have influenced her.

Oh no, I wasn't meaning it to sound like a rant. I'm just trying to point out that there's a lot more to things than someone following someone else like a sheep and collapsing to peer pressure. The general vibe I've gotten out of this thread (though I'll admit it's a lot worse on other sites) is that there's a fair bit of accusation of "copying" and "unoriginality" with her look lately, so I was trying to show that the majority of her look change wasn't due to being influenced, it was due to having more options open to her or due to necessity. She's not looking any different from how she's wanted to from day one. She just hasn't previously had the know-how to pull it off successfully.

I'm sorry if it came off as seeming like I was accusing people of disliking her, I was more trying to correct some criticisms and provide alternative reasoning for them. I really do apologize.

Posted

Oh no, I wasn't meaning it to sound like a rant. I'm just trying to point out that there's a lot more to things than someone following someone else like a sheep and collapsing to peer pressure. The general vibe I've gotten out of this thread (though I'll admit it's a lot worse on other sites) is that there's a fair bit of accusation of "copying" and "unoriginality" with her look lately, so I was trying to show that the majority of her look change wasn't due to being influenced, it was due to having more options open to her or due to necessity. She's not looking any different from how she's wanted to from day one. She just hasn't previously had the know-how to pull it off successfully.

I'm sorry if it came off as seeming like I was accusing people of disliking her, I was more trying to correct some criticisms and provide alternative reasoning for them. I really do apologize.

I agree with this, to begin with they don't have the same body type or face, they do their makeup differently, they dress drastically different. This Sharla wants to be/copying/ Taylor has always been overblown in my opinion, why is that?, because Taylor did her makeup once and Sharla borrowed a piece of clothing?.

Taylor has changed her hair style and now she looks like Sharla but with wavy and longer hair, is that also copying?.

In general, everyone or almost everyone gets influenced by people or things at some point in their lives, I don't think this should be used as ammunition, is OK to draw inspiration or to incorporate things you may like from other people to yourself or your live as long as you are happy with it.

Posted (edited)

I'd also like to add to your points that sometimes it's just people poking fun at the silly behaviors of the jvlogger community.  There is very little they do that can be taken seriously.  That's part of their popularity, just like reality TV.  It's mostly inane stuff to help people forget their day.  

The Kardashians are insanely popular and, yet there is so, SO much to mock about them.  I mean Kim Kardashian sold a book of SELFIES?  You kidding me?  

Justin Bieber is a joke, but his fans will crazy kill you if they catch you saying so.  

Most vloggers are just self-filmed reality TV stars.  And anyone who watches reality TV knows it's not exactly reality.

I find it amusing how fans of these things get so upset and need to "defend their honor" when others even slightly question them.  

It's like watching Justin Bieber or Kim Kardashian fans go up in arms when someone pokes fun at their idols.  

People need to chill.  

And who said Sharla was trying to "be unoriginal"?  Nobody tries to "be unoriginal".  They just try to be original in the most unoriginal of ways.  

And  Naomeister all you did was rant about your own opinions.  You can no more prove your opinions than other people can theirs.  

In my opinion Sharla comes across as someone who is very malleable to peer pressure.  Most people are. I'm sure she goes for things she likes.  I don't think any amount of peer pressure would ever make her give up pokemon.  But she definitely strikes me as a follower type. It's not a crime.  Again, most people are follower types who tend to follow the flock.  

Saying she's like 90 % of the population is hardly an insult.   

Almost none of the jvloggers are "true leader" types to me, but then most of human are not "leader" types.  So hahaha Sharla is like the majority of humanity!  Oh, buuuuuurrrrn.  Wait... :notimp:

What made your comment  a rant was writing phrases like this:

"let me insert a little logic into this gossip train".  

"There are a lot of things people in this thread seem to have failed to take into account"

Those phrases imply very clearly that you think the other commenters here are your inferiors.    

How would you like it if people spoke that way about you?  

You said the above was your first time posting and that you didn't mean it to sound like a rant.  So I hope that was true.  

For the sake of example, I'll begin a comment in that same "I'm the adult in the room" way:   

*sigh*  

Looks like once more I have to educate you people on Sharla since no one on this thread, but me, seems to bother with logic. If commenters here would try thinking for a change, they'd see that a) Sharla's make up is...  

Edited by All Over The World

Posted

I'd also like to add to your points that sometimes it's just people poking fun at the silly behaviors of the jvlogger community.  There is very little they do that can be taken seriously.  That's part of their popularity, just like reality TV.  It's mostly inane stuff to help people forget their day.  
The Kardashians are insanely popular and, yet there is so, SO much to mock about them.  I mean Kim Kardashian sold a book of SELFIES?  You kidding me?  

Justin Bieber is a joke, but his fans will crazy kill you if they catch you saying so.  

Most vloggers are just self-filmed reality TV stars.  And anyone who watches reality TV knows it's not exactly reality.

I find it amusing how fans of these things get so upset and need to "defend their honor" when others even slightly question them.  

It's like watching Justin Bieber or Kim Kardashian fans go up in arms when someone pokes fun at their idols.  

People need to chill.  

And who said Sharla was trying to "be unoriginal"?  Nobody tries to "be unoriginal".  They just try to be original in the most unoriginal of ways.  

And  Naomeister all you did was rant about your own opinions.  You can no more prove your opinions than other people can theirs.  

In my opinion Sharla comes across as someone who is very malleable to peer pressure.  Most people are. I'm sure she goes for things she likes.  I don't think any amount of peer pressure would ever make her give up pokemon.  But she definitely strikes me as a follower type. It's not a crime.  Again, most people are follower types who tend to follow the flock.  

Saying she's like 90 % of the population is hardly an insult.   

Almost none of the jvloggers are "true leader" types to me, but then most of human are not "leader" types.  So hahaha Sharla is like the majority of humanity!  Oh, buuuuuurrrrn.  Wait... :notimp:

What made your comment  a rant was writing phrases like this:

"let me insert a little logic into this gossip train".  

"There are a lot of things people in this thread seem to have failed to take into account"

Rather harsh to other commenters.  

You said the above was your first time posting and that you didn't mean it to sound like a rant.  So I hope that was true.  

I mean if I began my comments like this it would look like a rant:  

*sigh*  

Looks like once more I have to educate you people on Sharla since no one on this thread seems to bother with logic. If commenters here would try thinking for a change, they'd see that a) Sharla's make up is...  

I couldn't have said it better myself! I feel like we've discussed this a few times on this particular thread, but language is a key factor in how we convey meaning.

I personally re-read everything I write before posting to ensure my meaning is clear but unaggressive. I'm not suggesting we sensor ourselves and I love debating different perceptions of Sharla with you guys, but I don't love feeling attacked or looked down on simply for disagreeing.

Posted (edited)

I couldn't have said it better myself! I feel like we've discussed this a few times on this particular thread, but language is a key factor in how we convey meaning.

I personally re-read everything I write before posting to ensure my meaning is clear but unaggressive. I'm not suggesting we sensor ourselves and I love debating different perceptions of Sharla with you guys, but I don't love feeling attacked or looked down on simply for disagreeing.

oops I just finished editing it because I thought the original was too strongly worded.  Oh well, guess both versions can now be viewed.  :D 

But I absolutely agree.  

I don't want to censor differing opinions on Sharla.  

But when it comes to bashing commenters, even when trying to disguise it in veiled insults, I'm absolutely against that.  

There isn't much difference between:  

"You're all a bunch of idiots."  

"It sucks being the only smart one here"  

"I hate how I'm always the voice of reason on these threads"

"Guess I'll have to add some logic to this discussion".  

They're all the same insult, but increasingly veiled to not appear the same.  

And completely pointless to write. Just state your opinion.    :/  

Edited by All Over The World

Posted

. From there, we'll go to straightened hair: It's just flat out easier to deal with in general, and less of a pain in the butt to get to look right. Just brush and go. She's been doing it on and off since before Taylor ever moved to Japan. Taylor just simply showed her there was a way to do it without utterly decimating her hair so she's keeping it like that as her default, and in my opinion, it looks good on her.

wait what's this magical way to straighten your hair without damaging it???