• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

youtube Sharla in Japan

5987 posts in this topic

Posted

Considering she never showed her ex-husband (and really had to say she got married - and then divorced - because people kept on commenting about her ring) I doubt she'd do it, even if it was the case. And I kinda enjoy that from her? The fact she never ever talks about her romantic life is a positive point in my opinion...

Same. I don't know, she might not be as cool as she makes herself out to be, but she keeps quiet about drama. She acts mature. I enjoy that a lot, especially in the age of Mikan, Mimei and co. 

Chris and her are the only Jvloggers I still like to watch because the others became unbearable.

Posted

The last video was really good. I don't know if she will do more like this because she said it takes a lot of time, and she prefers other style but, definitely will love to watch more like this. I hope the video gets good views, maybe that will push her to make more.

I thought the beginning was silly, she open the curtains to show more curtains but, I get she doesn't want to show the exterior to avoid people finding her place.

Posted

Same. I don't know, she might not be as cool as she makes herself out to be, but she keeps quiet about drama. She acts mature. I enjoy that a lot, especially in the age of Mikan, Mimei and co. 

Chris and her are the only Jvloggers I still like to watch because the others became unbearable.

I agree. I have to admit I like this new, mature Sharla and admire her independance and the way she never lowers her standards by resorting to bitchiness, back stabbing etc whether it's on youtube, twitter or instagram. Not to mention, it takes a lot of guts to relocate to another part of the world and start a new life. I have a lot of respect for her.

Posted

Am I the only one who doesn't see them together? Like I can see there's something like Sharla obviously has a crush on him and Chris seems to be interested in a way but I can't imagine them having a long term relationship u know? But who knows 🤔 I just thought Chris wants a Japanese girl lol

Posted

The video reminded me of Rhea’s channel a lot. https://youtu.be/T8aiFBIIB5k

Lol yeah same here I feel like some J-vloggers are trying to dip their toes into these more "chill" waters to see if they can maybe transition into that "market"? Taylor B did that in the past few months and I'm not sure yet if I like that vibe from her, but J-vloggers may have run out of things to really say about various subjects and trips?

And the fact that everyone has to stay indoor and limit outings as much as possible makes it harder for these vloggers to continue working as usual (and they have to re-think how they get their income.)

Posted

I just noticed that Sharla was in a TC video along with Emma which was released April 5th but shot on March 11th. It seems her last video with them was back in August. I wonder if she is now just doing the occasional video to fulfill her contractual obligations and keep her visa with them current? Or does she have PR? I don't know, honey, but I would love to hear some theories! 

Anyway, it's a pretty dull video since they just sample various overpriced Starbucks things and talk about them for eight minutes:

Posted

I just noticed that Sharla was in a TC video along with Emma which was released April 5th but shot on March 11th. It seems her last video with them was back in August. I wonder if she is now just doing the occasional video to fulfill her contractual obligations and keep her visa with them current? Or does she have PR? I don't know, honey, but I would love to hear some theories! 

Anyway, it's a pretty dull video since they just sample various overpriced Starbucks things and talk about them for eight minutes:

Hidden Content

I just noticed that, in her latest video when she's doing her visa renewal, she added a picture of Tokyo Creative to her application.

Interesting, though 

Posted

I just noticed that, in her latest video when she's doing her visa renewal, she added a picture of Tokyo Creative to her application.

Interesting, though 

Great catch! I never even noticed that but you're absolutely right! Hmmmm... the plot thickens.

Posted

Interesting, though 

It looks like Tokyo Creative is her official job and youtube, language school, translation and voice over work is just a bonus. She's a hard workin' girl!

Posted

So, here's a new video. Super exciting content, right? 

Posted

I think most jvloggers ultimately hit a wall in terms of fresh new content, and Sharla is honestly no different. Sharla has been in Japan for the best part of a decade now so of course she's not going to have groundbreaking content every video, and she's also a vlogger as well which means she shares daily life stuff like grocery shopping. Chris is different but only because his format is different, and even then he still makes some lower effort videos where it's just him in his room, but those usually get higher views than the ones he puts more effort in (see What I'll never understand about Japan (700k+) vs 48 Hrs at Japan's biggest snow festival (400k+)).

But I also know that Sharla's viewers don't want a 45 minute video on the nuances of keigo even if she could do a video like that, and would rather watch some chill content they can switch their brain off to like a Japan grocery "haul" (that's such a dumb word when used with grocery) video.

Posted (edited)

Sharla's viewers don't want a 45 minute video on the nuances of keigo even if she could do a video like that, and would rather watch some chill content they can switch their brain off to like a Japan grocery "haul" (that's such a dumb word when used with grocery) video.

I have to admit, I enjoy watching these lifestyle videos much more than the documentary style or commenter-bashing videos that some other vloggers make. In fact, I could watch people do their shopping, housework and cooking all day! It would be interesting to know what the amino acids in the refrigerator are for.

Edited by bobbin

Posted

Eh, there's nothing much you can do right now in Japan anyway because most foreigners I know try to stick to social distancing and staying inside as much as possible. So no one can expect Sharla (or any of the others) to publish super new video content, unless they pre-filmed something and publish that now. Tbh I'd even say she's making good use of what she's having, peronally I'm not watching many vloggers, but I can see why such content would be oversaturated right now for others. I really liked her showing the cooking ideas list on her fridge, because I always tend to eat the same stuff as well and she gave some nice simple ideas to cook. I wouldn't mind if she posts some more cooking videos, based on using as little ingredients as possible for the ones also staying at home right now. I guess most of Sharla's appeal is still her character, but that's probably also personal taste, because I really like watching her vlogs during these times, they're very soothing.

Posted

I actually liked this one 😳

I've always wondered being vegan myself, and hearing that it takes some effort/difficulty to eat out and buy grocceries in Japan for vegans and vegetarians. Interesthing to see what's available.