• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

youtube Sharla in Japan

5983 posts in this topic

Posted

So her Kagaya Bar vlog got demonitized. Seems like a waste of a birthday and a vlog to me.  

Posted

So her Kagaya Bar vlog got demonitized. Seems like a waste of a birthday and a vlog to me.  

Yes, but not surprised considering the content 🤷

Posted

TBH Sharla and Chris would make a pretty decent match. He's a legit nice guy and I can tell they get along really well. I love it when she appears in his videos and vice-versa, the chemistry is there.

I didn't like Sharla at all but I feel like she's become more mature since the divorce. I even subscribed to her channel and I'm enjoying her latest vlogs.

Anyways, even if they were to get together it would probably take a while since both recently became single. And who knows, they might not go public about this at all! Chris doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would flaunt his relationships in front of the camera.

Posted (edited)

Was this a lace body suit or something Sharla was wearing? Regardless...Sharla needs to dress like this more often. It looked so bright and cheery and I loved her jeans! Probably a bit too boxy for my tastes but she looks happy. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxfAyx7B7Cq/

Edited by Hwasa

Posted

She got divorced but why does she keep the name annyeong? Was that even her husbands name?

annyeong is just hello/goodbye in korean

Posted

She got divorced but why does she keep the name annyeong? Was that even her husbands name?

She said she can't change it because is a verified name now.

Posted

The name choice is what makes the less sense to me... Was 'Sharmander' not available when she went to Korea? It is something that could have followed her, even when she decided to go back to live in Canada at some point.

Posted (edited)

The name choice is what makes the less sense to me... Was 'Sharmander' not available when she went to Korea? It is something that could have followed her, even when she decided to go back to live in Canada at some point.

I looked it up and no it wasn't. Some lady has had it since at least 2013. When did Sharla decide on Sharmander for her channel?

Edited by Xinxinsong

Posted

I didn't like Sharla at all but I feel like she's become more mature since the divorce. I even subscribed to her channel and I'm enjoying her latest vlogs.

On a vlog they did together late November Chris admitted that he didn't like her until sometime last year when he got to know her better and realised she's as sarcastic, cynical and carefree with expletives as he is. He encouraged her to be more open and swear more and she said that she's damned if she does because on the one side she has viewers who want the always happy, well mannered Sharla and on the other side Chris's audience who like sarcasm and grit.

Personally, as someone who discovered her from Chris's channel, I prefer the latter and think she's a (truly) happier person for it. Appearing positive all the time would absolutely drain me, and imagine that's true of most people.

Her Kagaya Izakaya video shows that she's not afraid of working with vulgar or unusual material, which draws a new kind of audience (or makes things fresh for existing subs) that could be fun to produce content for. I can understand she was gutted more about Youtube not promoting it than pulling the ad revenue - she was expecting the latter (as she said on Twitter) but wanted to show people that she's dabbling with more-adult material and, importantly, being more open with her personality. Losing the promotion killed that objective.

Anyways, even if they were to get together it would probably take a while since both recently became single. And who knows, they might not go public about this at all! Chris doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would flaunt his relationships in front of the camera.

Interestingly Chris stripped his location from an Instagram post of him in Morioka standing in front of Mt Iwate - where Sharla lives - around the time of both of their birthdays. She later posted to Instagram from a similar spot (nice photos of them too, FWIW). Now, that could just mean that he's aware that there's speculation going on and he was simply visiting a good friend and didn't want it to be a point of discussion. She's also one of the few people from the TC crew living up North and no doubt would appreciate a visit from a friend who lives just an hour away in Sendai.

But apart from that tidbit they just appear to be good friends with a great chemistry. Chris seems like the sort of person who knows what/who he likes, even if it's just in the capacity as a friend, and gives it 100%. Sharla has a great laugh and infectious smile, and likely enjoys how open she can be with Chris so possibly comes across as flirty when it's just friendly.

If it's more than friendship then good - it'd make a great narrative and they mesh well.

Posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNneMLr1kE

that latest video made me smile, for real. sharla is one of the few people i've seen fangirl over bug type pokémon. i wonder what happened to her plushie collection when she moved?

Posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNneMLr1kE

that latest video made me smile, for real. sharla is one of the few people i've seen fangirl over bug type pokémon. i wonder what happened to her plushie collection when she moved?

im a sucker for pokemon content but fuck she was actually annoying me because of all the "oh it wouldve been BETTER WITH THIS" wanting ketchup and whinging about everything like "oh this would be SO cute but they dont have soy", idk I have issues with people who film certain things knowing what they were going into and then whinging about it. its a character cafe in japan, ofc you're going there for the looks not the taste and its well known that they wouldnt have vegan things there.... just go to a vegan cafe instead of whining or at least act like you enjoyed it cause it soured the video for me so i couldnt even finish it. (doesnt help sophie was there and i have an extremely low opinion of her so)

Posted

she was actually annoying me because of all the "oh it wouldve been BETTER WITH THIS" wanting ketchup and whinging about everything like "oh this would be SO cute but they dont have soy", idk I have issues with people who film certain things knowing what they were going into and then whinging about it. its a character cafe in japan, ofc you're going there for the looks not the taste and its well known that they wouldnt have vegan things there....

Being a themed restaurant doesn't excuse a lack of basics like condiments -- the Ghibli Museum had comparatively decent food and their Kaze no Tani beer was great. I'm glad she called it.

I recently became vegan (was pescetarian beforehand so Japan was very friendly to my diet) so it was interesting to see what they got and yeah, no ketchup is a downer because it adds umami, essential to help the salivary glands when you're gnawing on a big chunk of bread. It's burger basics.

just go to a vegan cafe instead of whining or at least act like you enjoyed it

If there are vegan options anywhere they can be both praised or criticised, and I think Sharla was pretty tame in her criticism. A lot of her viewers, including me, value her take on vegan food in Japan. Saved me making a booking, though it was a seasonal menu so things may improve.

Posted

Being a themed restaurant doesn't excuse a lack of basics like condiments -- the Ghibli Museum had comparatively decent food and their Kaze no Tani beer was great. I'm glad she called it.

I recently became vegan (was pescetarian beforehand so Japan was very friendly to my diet) so it was interesting to see what they got and yeah, no ketchup is a downer because it adds umami, essential to help the salivary glands when you're gnawing on a big chunk of bread. It's burger basics.

If there are vegan options anywhere they can be both praised or criticised, and I think Sharla was pretty tame in her criticism. A lot of her viewers, including me, value her take on vegan food in Japan. Saved me making a booking, though it was a seasonal menu so things may improve.

not really, you dont go to japan and expect every place to have ketchup and in most restaurants you respect what they have on the menu (in japan i know its usually a huge no to ask for alterations on a dish), there are flat out places that refuse to serve ketchup as they think it ruins the food (including burger joints in the US). It doesnt matter if it was 'tame' or not, it soured the video which as a food video, I hate hearing lukewarm shit where people are like "oh it was nice buuuuutttttt......." just be honest if you didnt like it instead of trying to just be bitchy and picking it apart like a toddler like the way they fucking picked at that jigglypuff cheesecake like wtf? and as a former no egg but still dairy vegetarian it will forever irk me when people complain about the options, because in no way, shape or form are we the majority so I just accepted I had to go to specialty stores or cafes instead of trying to make everyone bend to my personal food choices. 

Posted

there are flat out places that refuse to serve ketchup as they think it ruins the food

In Japan it's often used in/on Yoshoku dishes as a source of umami - particularly omurice and hambagu.

Posted

In Japan it's often used in/on Yoshoku dishes as a source of umami - particularly omurice and hambagu.

im finishing this debate because its stupid and derailing, not every goddamn food needs ketchup, it has its place but it doesnt have to be on everything (including hamburger steak which is commonly served wafu style daikon oroshi) and if you're one of those people who has to put ketchup on everything for it to taste good then i feel very very sorry for you, if you want to defend sharla some more she even pokes fun at herself that its 'such a canadian' thing to do but im not derailing this any further and i've said my piece.