• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

youtube Sharla in Japan

5930 posts in this topic

Posted

After I saw her adventures with Chris, I thought she was going to do better things with her videos and life.....I was wrong. 

Posted

About her new job in japan

Posted

I was right I guess, I was hoping the job was something else, I can't see how Tokyo Creative Learn is going to provide any decent income for her, I guess Patreon and Youtube is enough to compensate the loss of her ex-husband income. Wish her luck though, now that she is in Japan permanently I'm sure she will find tons of gigs. Sharla has always been very resourceful and her Patreon got +80 new patrons since the divorce video.

Posted

I don't understand the idea of this "TokyoCreativWebsite". Everything that is offered there I get to see on you tube anyway. There are a lot of Vloggers in Japan who report about these topics. For Free. But they want Money. I don´t get it. 

Posted

I don't understand the idea of this "TokyoCreativWebsite". Everything that is offered there I get to see on you tube anyway. There are a lot of Vloggers in Japan who report about these topics. For Free. But they want Money. I don´t get it. 

The way I see it, they don't offer anything new or groundbreaking, the only thing they offer is somehow personalized interaction with some popular youtubers. So if you want Sharla and Chris (among others) to "teach you" a couple of things instead some random person on youtube, you pay for this service.

The hook is the fact they live in Japan and not in some random western country and also the fact is Sharla, Anime Man or Chris, not some random youtuber.

Can you find tutorials about filming, editing and such for free?, yes.

Can you find youtubers in Japan giving you advice about living in Japan or how to be a youtuber in Japan?. Yes (in fact Sharla and the others have done this before for free).

So why is anyone going to pay?, I guess to get more in-depth "lessons" and personal interaction with all this youtubers.

Personally I don't get where is the profit in all of this, to begin with they are aiming for people that want to be youtubers in Japan, how many of those are out there?, they have plenty of youtubers already, with more to come, are they going to split the profit among all of them or Tokyo Creative Learn is something you have to do "for free" because your are part of Tokyo Creative and all the profit goes to Tokyo Creative?.

Good thing is this is a small thing for all of them, if they get some profit awesome, if not, oh well, money still coming from youtube and Patreon.

Posted

It almost sounds like the beginning of an MLM without actually being or trying to literally be one, if that makes sense.

If any profit gets made, Chris Okano kikely gets the most anyway and the featured YouTubers divvy up whatever is left after expenditures. 

Perhaps the potential or aspiring YouTubers who make something out of the info shared by the "gurus" such as Sharla, Joey, Chris, A. and so on will excite Chris Okano's interest and he then gets to cherry pick from a new generation of newly groomed YouTubers that could become a part of TC's circuit, thus bringing in more views and possible money.

So you basically are creating branches and levels of YouTubers and media resources. New subscribers to TCL, new views, new personalities, etc. TLC becomes the umbrella company.

Maybe that is how he eventually expects to grow the company and create what hopes will be an empire or incredibly large network?

If this is the case, will this work? Is this a good business platform? Don't know.

Posted (edited)

I'm really very annoyed with this Tokyo Creative Club because they have taken over the space where I have my weekly meetups with my Sisters of The Moon Senior's Bridge Club. My friend Atsuko, who lives in the building, organizes the meetups during the week and we play bridge from the afternoon until well into the evenings when the young people start coming home from work and kick us out. We normally play in the bar-lounge because, as you know, when Missy's in the building the booze is free flowing!

WELL! Imagine my surprise when I was told that our bridge game would have to take place in the residents dining facility instead of our usual spot. Atsuko told me that a film crew had taken over our favorite bar-lounge meeting space. I was shocked when I peeked inside and saw Chris Broad talking to a camera with a large film crew and very bright lights on him. Then, while we were playing bridge in the dining facility, I kept seeing Sharla walking in and out through the back door. I nearly spit out my Mimosa.... It was very surreal.

So imagine my surprise watching Sharla's most recent video and seeing her sitting exactly where I normally would be sitting with my bridge club ladies. Hopefully this was a one-off filming event because there are few places in Tokyo that can accommodate the special needs of drunken seniors playing bridge. And if I ever see Norm stumbling around the place -- LORD help us all!

TC must have some kind of partnership with the Social Apartment company because they also did an event at "The Millenials" hotel which is owned by the same company:

Edited by Missy Deluxe
Memory is slipping... can't remember how to embed. Lol

Posted (edited)

So after typing up a whole novel of why I thought it would be impossible for Tokyo Creative to sponsor visas it appears that Sharla's visa is sponsored by them after all. I'm dumbfounded I would really, really love to know HOW they pulled that off. Because of all the reasons I typed in said novel it honestly shouldn't be possible. I wonder how many influencers are sponsored by them.....you  have to make a shit ton of money as a foreigner owned company to be able to sponsor even ONE foreign visa other than your own....and like I said, you have to prove the income of the person you will sponsor will be at least 3k a month, etc etc. Would really love to, as someone who's dealt with visas a lot, see what kind of application they turned in. Also congrats on her getting her visa so quickly....usually a work visa doesn't take just a few weeks. Lately immigration is so backed up it can take months.

Also for someone who's been here since high school and spent so much time here, her Japanese is so bad? Pronunciation and even very simple word mistakes and mixing of honorific and casual speech. I was surprised. I guess it's better than Taylor but like, Mikan's Japanese is better than Sharla's. I liked the stylist's tattoos though.

Personally I don't get where is the profit in all of this, to begin with they are aiming for people that want to be youtubers in Japan, how many of those are out there?, they have plenty of youtubers already, with more to come, are they going to split the profit among all of them or Tokyo Creative Learn is something you have to do "for free" because your are part of Tokyo Creative and all the profit goes to Tokyo Creative?.

I'm sure they're doing this totally illegally but since she said she came back to Japan because she got a new job (and I assume work visa from it) she cannot keep ANY of her incomes. Youtube, patreon, etc.....you can't legally be a freelancer like that while on a work visa here, so since Tokyo Creative is her employer she has to give them every cent she earns, and in turn, they have to give her pay/salary. If they do it any other way (which I'm sure they are) she's in violation of her visa. You can't have a work visa working for one company all the while being a self-employed entrepreneur...there's a visa for that which is self-sponsored (which is what I have, takes 6+ months to get it and is the hardest to get other than PR) you have to pick one or the other. Some people exclusively teach private English lessons and manage to self-sponsor...but they can't also work at a language school.

As someone who's been screwed over a lot for always following the rules I really hate when I see people trampling all over them. That's why  it's harder for honest people down the line. I hope she claims it all on her taxes, at least.

Edited by daydreamcarnival

Posted

So after typing up a whole novel of why I thought it would be impossible for Tokyo Creative to sponsor visas it appears that Sharla's visa is sponsored by them after all...

Wow... I'm curious to know how you found this out about Sharla's visa type and sponsorship? How reliable is your source and how certain are you that it's true?

In my experience, visas are not that difficult to get if you have the right connections. I know a girl here in the business and her agents use high priced law firms to get her 5-year work visas. These lawyers, from a particular law firm, are all former high ranking immigration officials and have direct access to the process at immigration. The turnaround time is fast--usually less than a week--and she has never once had to set foot in the immigration office. it's a very convenient setup and perfectly legal.

Posted

I'm sure they're doing this totally illegally but since she said she came back to Japan because she got a new job (and I assume work visa from it) she cannot keep ANY of her incomes. Youtube, patreon, etc.....you can't legally be a freelancer like that while on a work visa here, so since Tokyo Creative is her employer she has to give them every cent she earns, and in turn, they have to give her pay/salary. If they do it any other way (which I'm sure they are) she's in violation of her visa. You can't have a work visa working for one company all the while being a self-employed entrepreneur...there's a visa for that which is self-sponsored (which is what I have, takes 6+ months to get it and is the hardest to get other than PR) you have to pick one or the other. Some people exclusively teach private English lessons and manage to self-sponsor...but they can't also work at a language school.

As someone who's been screwed over a lot for always following the rules I really hate when I see people trampling all over them. That's why  it's harder for honest people down the line. I hope she claims it all on her taxes, at least.

Very interesting. Without proof though, this is only speculation.

However, I am very curious about the points you raised. I didn't know you couldn't keep your other income sources if you are on a work visa. Even if those sources are from outside Japan? It seems like there would be a workaround for that. What if the money went to a foreign back account instead of a Japanese one? 

It does make one wonder how which country your Patreon earnings get taxed in. The country you live in or the country you designate. 

What a confusing system. It seems like you could break the rules without even meaning too.  

Posted

she cannot keep ANY of her incomes. Youtube, patreon, etc.....you can't legally be a freelancer like that while on a work visa here,

Interesting, so if I work for Apple Japan and in my freetime I make Youtube videos and earn $200 every month I have to give that money to my company?, or do you have to reach a threshold before being forced to declare that income?.

Interesting topic but I'm sure there is like a million loopholes, specially with things like Patreon.

Posted (edited)

Tokyo creative is the same concept as team 10 and any other subpar YouTube Collab team (mydigitalescape for you ex emo kids like me out there) 

Edited by Dahlia*

Posted (edited)

Wow... I'm curious to know how you found this out about Sharla's visa type and sponsorship? How reliable is your source and how certain are you that it's true?

In my experience, visas are not that difficult to get if you have the right connections. I know a girl here in the business and her agents use high priced law firms to get her 5-year work visas. These lawyers, from a particular law firm, are all former high ranking immigration officials and have direct access to the process at immigration. The turnaround time is fast--usually less than a week--and she has never once had to set foot in the immigration office. it's a very convenient setup and perfectly legal.

Unless I'm totally mistaken (in which case apologies to Sharla) in her divorce video she said she was able to come back to Japan because of a new job....she obviously no longer has a Japanese visa so that means that this job would be sponsoring it. Since that job is Tokyo Creative I just put A and B together especially since I doubt there is much work for foreigners up North where she lives the rest of the time?

My lawyer was cheap and I did 99% of my own paperwork but man. Took me 7 months of wasted time and money and frustration to get mine (and they are 1 year renewable visas) so that kind of pisses me off. Would love to know who that is cause I might want to use them in the future....can you DM me their law firm name? If not it's OK but...these things could come in handy though I don't have a ton of $$$ to get around the red tape personally.

Interesting, so if I work for Apple Japan and in my freetime I make Youtube videos and earn $200 every month I have to give that money to my company?, or do you have to reach a threshold before being forced to declare that income?.

Interesting topic but I'm sure there is like a million loopholes, specially with things like Patreon.

Well....if you work for Apple Japan you'd get a visa to work for them. The rule is that on a work visa you can't do anything outside of your job description so like I said in an earlier post, you could not work at the conbini on weekends to earn some extra cash. I think it's a grey area if you'd be able to do anything related to your job at Apple on the side....but the reason why I said this so strongly about not keeping her income is that Youtube is essentially freelance work. Technically to do Youtube fulltime in Japan she'd have to apply for a self-sponsored business owner visa with her "brand" as her business. But since Tokyo Creative (as far as I understand) sponsored her visa, she is their employee and her Youtube videos are in some part "owned" by them since they're going to earn a percentage and so on. There are lots of "channels" like this in the U.S. that manage Youtubers, they manage all their earnings etc, take a cut and then pay them each month. That's why when one of those channels went under a couple months back, a lot of Youtubers' lost a couple months' worth of earnings (heard about it from Shane Dawson's boyfriend, he has a video about it). So yeah, if you're part of a channel like that, you give them your income, they take a cut and then they pay  you.

From a visa standpoint, to sponsor someone you obviously have to show that you employ them, that they work for you and that you pay them, you can't just "employ" someone but then they get paid from another company like Youtube because in that case this person works for Youtube, not for you......I honestly don't see how they could be doing this within the rather rigid constraints of visa requirements. Sharla should've just self-sponsored, these "channels" are never a good idea and I feel like Sharla's name has more clout than Tokyo Creative anyway.

As for taxes, I mean, if you are earning an income, even online, while living as a resident in a specific country then you have to declare that on your taxes as part of your income, yes. It affects how much you own in taxes as well as what you pay for health insurance. But you also owe taxes to your country or nationality past a certain income bracket....so you essentially have to pay taxes in both countries (which sucks).

Very interesting. Without proof though, this is only speculation.
However, I am very curious about the points you raised. I didn't know you couldn't keep your other income sources if you are on a work visa. Even if those sources are from outside Japan? It seems like there would be a workaround for that. What if the money went to a foreign back account instead of a Japanese one? 

It does make one wonder how which country your Patreon earnings get taxed in. The country you live in or the country you designate. 

What a confusing system. It seems like you could break the rules without even meaning too.  

I mean you can keep online incomes, who is going to know. You can technically earn money paid to a U.S. account as a freelancer etc while in Japan on a tourist visa- that doesn't break the law since you aren't "working in Japan". But when you get a residency here through a visa those obligations kind of change....because you can't keep "main legal residence" in two countries at once and you do owe taxes on those earnings once you become a resident...kind of like if you're a tourist you don't have to pay into health insurance but if you are a resident you're legally required to, etc. A lot of legal responsibilities change when given a visa.

As for whether you are allowed to work online while you have a visa for something else I feel like it's such a new concept that probably the law isn't so clear on it. In THEORY it shouldn't be allowed but it might not be illegal as of this time. But she's earning money from several sources for the same work so it's just confusing, like it's not separate jobs in the same field for separate companies, it's several income sources for the same job: her channel. I'm not bashing though, earn your coin. I'm just interested in how it's all actually set up from those standpoints.

Edited by daydreamcarnival

Posted

To me, it seems like they are counting on people to want to be part of their group. A lot of them don't want to be lonely jvloggers, they want to have friends. And Sharla and co seem nice?? So why not buy your way in? And if that's the case, that's kinda poor.

Posted

With her visa, would it be possible that she gives all her earnings to the company and then they just give it all back on top of her regular salary?