• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

youtube Sharla in Japan

5789 posts in this topic

Posted

I agree that gift-giving can be hard especially  for a dude.  The problem is when your gifts seem more for you than the receiver.  I mean she gave him a bunch of bath bombs that didn't seem that interested in.  Same with the Mario game.  It reminds me of that episode of the Simpsons where Homer buys a bowling ball for Marge that he says is for her when only he likes bowling.  She gets back at him by learning to bowl so she can use it. But his gift to her was clearly for himself.  
The guy likes clothes.  Perhaps Sharla could try to find a nice coat or scarf in his style.  Or a ring or piece of jewelry or wallet that he might like.  

The bath bombs just seemed like a present more for herself than him.  Besides they probably share the bathwater (common in Japan) so she'll get to enjoy them as well, same with Mario.  

"Honey, I got you a pokemon plushie."  

"But I don't like pokemon or plushies."  

"Aw, shucks.  I guess I'll just have to take care of it.  And I worked so hard to find this for you... What a shame".  
:happee:

In the vlog today she told us that he wanted the robo anime thingie for a long time.... She could get that and gift it, it's her fav thriftshop tho. 

Posted

In the vlog today she told us that he wanted the robo anime thingie for a long time.... She could get that and gift it, it's her fav thriftshop tho. 

That thrift shop video made me wonder if it’s actually that hard to find a gift, he seems to collect a few things.

Anyway... was anyone else bored after around 5 minutes in? Seeing the shop was interesting for a bit maybe. But there seemed to be no purpose to what she showed and she just dragged it out forever. I hardly ever finish her videos anymore. If I watch one in the first place. Did it get more interesting at some point or was it just more cats again?

Posted

The new video is about how she waste her money on useless “mistery” snacks.

7EAC5E5C-7E65-42ED-A6FE-CF045C583F7F.jpeg

Posted

The new video is about how she waste her money on useless “mistery” snacks.

7EAC5E5C-7E65-42ED-A6FE-CF045C583F7F.jpeg

That's one way to see it, other way to see it is she is not wasting her money but investing her money. The other video she made about the mystery boxes is close to 500K, that's a lot of views and probably a decent amount of money in ad revenue, seems smart to try again with another mystery box video and see if she gets the same success. She did the same with the ear cleaning salon video and it was successful.

I enjoyed the video and her friend add a lot of energy to the mix.

Posted

I personally really enjoyed the vlog, although I watched Norm's vlog and it was way better but he's finally teaching Sharla to use her new camera.

Posted (edited)

I personally really enjoyed the vlog, although I watched Norm's vlog and it was way better but he's finally teaching Sharla to use her new camera.

that guy makes sharla sound interesting. I hated how he acts like he is doing a show for 2 year old kids.

Edited by over the rainbow

Posted

I didn’t like the newest blog only because the stories seem really interesting, but she didn’t include them all. Like the whole interesting part of the vending machine is the stories. She didn’t have to buy 10 of them. She could have bought a few to read. All they say is ‘pause the video to read’ but  I doubt all of her followers read Japanese. Also she mixed them up so her Patreons will never know which story they picked... 

Also on the subject of her husband, He seems more expressive when talking to the cats.

Posted

Myster Boxes? I mean, at least she has a video idea and does something interesting, so I'm going to watch it (also it's actually kinda interesting to see what's inside, and if there are different things inside) The Q&A video on Norm's channel was okay too, but too long imo.

Her collabs show that Sharla needs someone with high energy in her videos - she profits from their engergy then (with Megan and unfortunately also Keyboard-san the energy is kinda... dragging. With Greg and Nicole it's better. And also with Norm. )

Btw. I never understood the excuse of being a bad gifter. Like... how can someone be bad at making gifts? The moment you put effort into a gift it can't be downright bad. It might not fit someone's taste in the end or the person might already have it or something alike, but the moment you put effort into finding a gift, the gift can't be horrible. Maybe not good, but not bad.

Posted

That's one way to see it, other way to see it is she is not wasting her money but investing her money. The other video she made about the mystery boxes is close to 500K, that's a lot of views and probably a decent amount of money in ad revenue, seems smart to try again with another mystery box video and see if she gets the same success. She did the same with the ear cleaning salon video and it was successful.

I enjoyed the video and her friend add a lot of energy to the mix.

Agreed. The mystery box trend on Youtube gets channels a ton of views, even when the contents are junk.

Posted

Btw. I never understood the excuse of being a bad gifter. Like... how can someone be bad at making gifts? The moment you put effort into a gift it can't be downright bad. It might not fit someone's taste in the end or the person might already have it or something alike, but the moment you put effort into finding a gift, the gift can't be horrible. Maybe not good, but not bad.

Real talk: I am terrible at gift giving; it has reached the point that I ask point-blank what the people in my life would like for their birthdays or holidays. That way, not only do they get something they want, but they also make sure not to buy the thing for themselves. I don't care that it "spoils the surprise".

What I DO like to do is include at least a little extra personalized thing to go with it, to show that I listen and care. A funny doodle. A letter. A soap shaped liked an N64 Cartridge of Super Mario because I know they loved that game as a kid. 

So even if you're terrible at picking gifts for your loved ones like yours truly, there's still a solution where everyone's happy.

But back to the video, I found it uninteresting (not a fan of mystery unboxings of anything) but at least it was SOMETHING. 

Posted

Real talk: I am terrible at gift giving; it has reached the point that I ask point-blank what the people in my life would like for their birthdays or holidays. That way, not only do they get something they want, but they also make sure not to buy the thing for themselves. I don't care that it "spoils the surprise".

What I DO like to do is include at least a little extra personalized thing to go with it, to show that I listen and care. A funny doodle. A letter. A soap shaped liked an N64 Cartridge of Super Mario because I know they loved that game as a kid. 

So even if you're terrible at picking gifts for your loved ones like yours truly, there's still a solution where everyone's happy.

But back to the video, I found it uninteresting (not a fan of mystery unboxings of anything) but at least it was SOMETHING. 

Then you are not a terrible gifter, but a thoughtful one. You even personalize it. Girl, what you mentioned about how you add something personal to the gift, is actually a good idea :-)

Posted

Sort of agree with @casio that you can’t blame her for trying to make another mystery unboxing.

Still thought it turned out quite dull. I don’t understand why on earth she would go back to the same place. Those stupid boxes were so popular, it’s hard for me to imagine it would be difficult to find something else. Unless her viewers are incredibly slow they should know what very, very likely is in those boxes. Or do they care so much about which kind of snack? And as @Koala said, the stories are what sort of made it unique and she didn’t bother with those. (That said I hope she doesn’t make more videos on those either, it’s enough that Taylor never manages to let anything slightly popular on her channel rest before it becomes a cringe fest.) 

Posted

What I like to watch, it's the mystery boxes she buy at new year. I forgot the name. Oh, Fukubukuro. Thanks Google!

It's often good quality, and very interesting! It's not like these mystery snakes. I hope she will buy some this year too. 

Posted

Taylor features in this one, apparently they filmed before she left and Sharla was just saving it "for a rainy day". I haven't watched it yet because it just popped up when I checked Youtube quickly before I was gonna log off to go to sleep but.... lol. I distinctly remember saying about Sharla in Korea could literally make videos of her going to the supermarket and I'd probably be a little curious just because I have no idea what they're like in Korea and then this? It's a total coincidence but it made me chuckle. I'm clearly SOOO GOOOD at getting in the Sharla mindset, fufufu. :alpacafedup:

Posted

It was entertaining, both try to make a Japanese meal buying stuff in a convenience store. I think Sharla's meal look better and is more varied, she used a little more money than Taylor though.