• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

youtube Sharla in Japan

5954 posts in this topic

Posted

^ agreed with a lot that is said above. A lot of the J and K Vloggers only dig superficially into Korea and Japan and I don't think we will see many different videos from Sharla when she is in Korea. 

Its honestly really a shame.  I learn so many new things about Korea whenever we (my husband and I) visit my in laws and its because each time we go, I make my husband show me something different or I make an effort to go out and experience the culture, food, museums, temples, etc on my own. Korea has so much rich culture and history. Sharla only wants to show OMG LOOK AT THIS BUNNY CAFE and doesn't want to organise or do anything on the 1000+ years of Korean history? Instead we get videos of POKEMON HUNTING, LOOK I BOUGHT MY CAT A NEW OUTFIT, LOOK MORE SHIT FOR MY CATS!!!?!?!!! 

I'd rather watch a video on the history of dynasties in Korea, palaces, temples, wars, how fashion has evolved, food - there's so many untouched topics Sharla or even any vlogger could get into in Korea or Japan and they just don't because they only want to go into the superficial culture there. I mean that's cool, great for them its their channel and they can do all the superficial vlogging they want.

I just won't be watching.

Seriously, even just showing a hanbok would be more interesting then effing cafés and pokémon go. 

Posted

Wasn't Sharla gonna give like biweeekly updates about her diet? What happened to that? Last update was almost two months ago.

Posted

Well, if you live in Seoul, visiting palaces doesn't cost much, or does it?

Maybe I wasn’t that clear, but I was talking about j vloggers  and Sharla’s old content. I thought that’s what you were writing about before. I don’t see how Seoul will be any different for her, though. It seems to be a lot like Tokyo in the way that a lot of well known vloggers in Korea are already in Seoul (or almost all?) and have been for ages, some I’d even question if they ever seen anything of Korea but Seoul. (Edward Avila to be exact lol.) Then a lot of people watching also mostly seem interested in pop culture or maybe Korean beauty products. I don’t think it will be any easier for her to do interesting and original content there than it was in Japan. 

I’ll admit I had my hopes up for a moment because I assumed that she herself would be more interested in her surroundings again and it would show in her videos. But that seems to have been wrong. :alpacaworry:

Posted (edited)

Now that I think about it, she could've shown a lot more of Insadong and split it into smaller videos for vlogmas lol

Maybe it's too cold to show the Palace since it's so big... but she could've shown Jogyesa, the temple that's literally across the street.. and it's free. I usually go there every time I visit Insadong since they change the decorations often. There's also some pretty unique nooks and crannies in Insadong because most of the buildings are old or traditional. Or if she would've planned well with her husband, the temple food restaurant called Sanchon is absolutely beautiful - food presentation and inside the restaurant itself.

She's pretty lazy and bland lol

I don't why Sharla and Megan are so obsessed with cafes other than laziness, but I've never understood the cafe hype to begin with lol

Edited by Athena

Posted

Well, if you live in Seoul, visiting palaces doesn't cost much, or does it?

Abroad in Japan and Life where I am from make video about cultural stuff (am I wrong) and they do get views. The second channel also made a video about homeless Japanese people and got almost 2million views. I think people underestimate the curiosity of the youtube audience. People are not only interested in cafés, actually they want to learn more about the different countries. 

I think this is just an excuse, they look like they give zero shit about the culture of the country they are living in. 

Oh, what I meant was the popular view among vloggers like Sharla seems to be that making those kind of videos won't get them views.  It takes a lot more work to craft the kind of videos that Abroad and Life make.  You also have to present the information in an interesting way.  It's also more cuts, angles, and shots. 

I remember Sharla did an interview in an article where she complained that about how she got more views for videos about eating food than when she did about stuff that had more meaning.  For me it read as blaming her viewers for being shallow. I think it is the creator's responsibility to get the viewer interested.  If people don't find your more "meaningful" videos interesting, perhaps it's because you didn't do that good of a job.  

I see that same mentality with so many who want to write stories.  They dream of being a famous writer, the next JK Rowling, and then when no one likes their work they throw up their hands and say "People are so stupid! They don't want to read stories with meaning (theirs)!"  

I have little respect for people who blame their viewers or reader for not "getting" them.  

I agree with you about it being an excuse to hide their own disinterest.  

Posted

I think for some they have zero interest in Japanese culture.  Then for others it's not just disinterest, it's the lack of views they get for those kind of videos.  They are very worried about their videos getting less views compared to their counterparts.  It bothers them to feel like they're at the bottom of the "top" vloggers.  
The problem is that making a temple or shrine visit interesting is trickier than just going to a theme cafe because you need to make the history behind it more interesting.  If you film a nature place, you need good shots and angles.  Theme cafes and "come shop with us" don't take near the work that making a good video about historical or nature places take to be interesting.  

Unless it's a video about a fox village or an onsen, it can be hard to get views.  

Sharla went to Seoul at a bad time.  With the winter coming, she can't do a lot of the outdoor stuff (like hikes or Jeju).  There isn't that many festivals and their christmas light displays aren't as advanced (yet) as the ones in Japan are getting.  

There will be the New Year's stuff, but Seoul is best in spring and summer.  Fall comes earlier there than Tokyo so she missed that as well.  She missed a gorgeous fall in Japan.  

Seoul is amazing fun in summer.  I LOVE South Korea in summer, but would never go there in winter.  Brrr... too cold. Few events happen and everything just waits out the long winter.  I imagine she won't have much to film besides cafes. Maybe New Year's and Valentine's Day. Things should pick up in spring.  

You know, Kim at least shows us a lot of foods in her vlogs. Sunny shows parties and her family (and her daily life is much more interesting) Many of these vloggers are able to boost their channel because they are able to show how much fun they have with their other vlogger friends. Sharla and Megan don't click at all. Kim and Sunny do click.

When I was in Korea I made the DMZ tour - I think even with a minimum effort you could make an interesting video out of that.

OzzyAwesome manages to show cultural stuff form Japan and make it interesting. Recently I also find KeiraInTokyo nice to watch. She is currently posting a lot of Osaka/Kyoto/Nara stuff. Taylor's rented friend Erica also made quite some interesting videos. InternationallyME etc. There are a few, but you are right, they get less views than the others (However, they also have a life aside of youtube, and I think on the long run they might get a more dedicated fanbase)

Many of the bigger jvloggers (I don't know many kvloggers) are so superficial, it's unbelievable. I doubt many of them have any real interest in Japan. Let's take Sophie for example: How much did she really show us from Japan? Most of these guys and girls are there because of pop culture, kawaiiiiii stuff and fashion (until today I still cringe when I think about how much money and time pixielocks basically wasted. 2 weeks vacation spend in Takeshita dori and Shibuya 109. She is really a true Japan fan.)

I agree with @Rennie: Somehow a lot of their followers are as superficial as them it seems... It also shows that there is no real interest from a lot of K- or J-fans in Japan or Korea except for Kpop, Pokemon and clothes. They all have this fantasy about Japan or Korea and dream of living there, but don't even take one look beneath the surface.

Posted (edited)

I think the problem with Sharla showing the kind of.. pop culture? sides to these places is that she does the same thing she does with all her interests, she obsesses over them. It gets to a point where you've been so saturated with cats and pokemon and themed cafes that the content gets a little stale because there's no real difference. Same words, same reaction, just a different place. 

I think if she learnt to balance this kind of content with more cultural stuff (aka the kinds of places she visits on her Sharla in Japan channel) then it wouldn't be so bad. I do enjoy getting to see themed cafes from time to time because they're not generally places I'd choose to visit when I travel so it's a fun insight, but when it's all you see? It's easy to get sick of them. Sure, maybe the views aren't as good on more cultural things as some of her other videos but they're still nothing to sneeze at if she's consistently pulling them in? And it's a way to bring in different types of viewers.

But I guess that all just boils down to not wanting to make the effort, or because she feels like she's somehow reached a point where her viewers are SO dedicated to her as a person that it doesn't matter what kind of subpar content she puts out which is... a bit sad and also really irresponsible careerwise. Not proof-reading this so sorry if it makes NO SENSE, I'm apparently just super salty today lmao. 

Edited by hiba

Posted

Sharla just commented this on Taylor's new video. I'm not sure if it's:

a) just plain hypocritical; 

b) low-key admitting she's only collaborating with certain vloggers for views/popularity boost;

c) being delusional enough to think nobody notices she's only collaborating with certain vloggers for views/popularity boost;

d) all of the above  

:alpacaheadshake:

5a2819ddb9ba0_.thumb.png.2a578883570bb2d

Posted

b) low-key admitting she's only collaborating with certain vloggers for views/popularity boost;

c) being delusional enough to think nobody notices she's only collaborating with certain vloggers for views/popularity boost;

d) all of the above  

Uh, so whenever she hangs out with just one youtuber it's just for the views? If it's two youtubers then they are the ones she like hanging out with. Well, that's some interesting logic. I guess Megan in just someone that she needs to bring people interested in Korea to watch her videos (which have nothing to do with Korea, by the way).

As someone that does not start relationships for opportunistic reasons, I have even less respect than I used to

Posted (edited)

Maybe a unpopular opinion. But in my opinion there's nothing wrong with liking mainly the pop culture side of a country, that doen't make your interest any less genuine than people who are interested in historical buildings or museums.  but... At least do something INTERESTING with it. Mix it up a little, and stfu about Pokémon for one video, come on! your interests can't be THAT limited. Talk about the Otaku culture, the very obsessive ones that go into hikikomori the casual ones, the 'shaming' that can come along with it, the history of it. Current subculture fashion trends, favorite and or upcoming video games/music/anime,Interesthing/rare gadgets, internet trends/scandals. Even her interest in pop culture is soooo limited, how many videos can you make about Pokémon? I know she once said she used to play saxophone. That would've made a interesthing side of her channel, Q&A about music the saxophone, beginner tips, tutorials/covers, just a story about how you got interested in it. So sad she lacks any sort of passion. 

Edited by Kiko

Posted

Maybe a unpopular opinion. But in my opinion there's nothing wrong with liking mainly the pop culture side of a country, that doen't that makes your interest less genuine than people who are interested in historical buildings or museums but... At least do something INTERESTING with it. Mix it up a little, and stay about Pokémon for one video, come on your interests can't be that limited. Talk about the Otaku culture, the very obsessive ones that go into hikikomori the casual ones, the 'shaming' that can come along with it, the history of it. Current subculture fashion trends, favorite and or upcoming video games/music/anime,Interesthing/rare gadgets, internet trends/scandals. Even her interest in pop culture is soooo limited, how many videos can you make about Pokémon? I know she once said she used to play saxophone. That would've made a interesthing side of het channel, Q&A about music the saxophone, beginner tips, tutirials/covers, just a story about how you got interested in it. So sad she lacks any sort of passion. 

That's great advice but I'm sure even that is too much work for her 9_9 

Posted

I feel like Sharla has lost interest in doing videos (which would explain the lack of decent videos like she used to do). Its like it's only money to her which is fine except she's giving minimal effort and expecting too much for what she gives. I'm not a creative person so I'm sure coming up with videos can be difficult but some of you guys have given some great ideas in this thread and she just seems to be scratching the surface...

Posted (edited)

I feel like Sharla has lost interest in doing videos (which would explain the lack of decent videos like she used to do). Its like it's only money to her which is fine except she's giving minimal effort and expecting too much for what she gives. I'm not a creative person so I'm sure coming up with videos can be difficult but some of you guys have given some great ideas in this thread and she just seems to be scratching the surface...

She just needs to explore Culture and she needs to try  the Temple Cuisine. Stop going to Cafes and for the love of God Cut back on Pokemon

Edited by ShiftyRipper

Posted (edited)

Maybe a unpopular opinion. But in my opinion there's nothing wrong with liking mainly the pop culture side of a country, that doen't make your interest any less genuine than people who are interested in historical buildings or museums.  but... At least do something INTERESTING with it. Mix it up a little, and stfu about Pokémon for one video, come on! your interests can't be THAT limited. Talk about the Otaku culture, the very obsessive ones that go into hikikomori the casual ones, the 'shaming' that can come along with it, the history of it. Current subculture fashion trends, favorite and or upcoming video games/music/anime,Interesthing/rare gadgets, internet trends/scandals. Even her interest in pop culture is soooo limited, how many videos can you make about Pokémon? I know she once said she used to play saxophone. That would've made a interesthing side of her channel, Q&A about music the saxophone, beginner tips, tutorials/covers, just a story about how you got interested in it. So sad she lacks any sort of passion. 

I agree with this. There isn't anything inherently wrong with pop culture but she doesn't make it interesting which is why I don't watch it. I also just don't like a lot of pop culture and I like historical stuff but if she put more of an effort into other stuff. I'd probably watch her more but she's stale and only going after all the stuff she's into and exaggerating it.

Edited by Hwasa

Posted (edited)

d) all of the above  

Oh, the irony really.... 9_9

Edited by purin123