• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

youtube Sharla in Japan

5987 posts in this topic

Posted

Was scrolling through Twitter and saw that Sharla had liked this tweet.  Totally sounds like Sharla loves kids and is ready to have one.  /s

D01BC913-86F4-4FF1-92D6-3563552DB1A0.thu

Posted

I mean, she basically spends half of this comment on praising Sharla. And yet, apparently, voicing a slightly different opinion means she acts offended and didn't understand the comment FallenAngela posted.

lol
Stuff like that has happened to me before.
It doesn't matter if you're being nice and explicitly say that you like the vlogger, you still said something critical about them or pointed something out (that many fans don't like when it is mentioned) so you're obviously a hater, a troll, etc.
And then they dare say that they're not crazy fangirls. Sure. lol

Apparently if you like people you cannot, under any circumstances, be critical or judgemental towards them. Not even a tiny bit. Can't point out shortcomings or faults either. You have to put blinders on and only see that they're amazing and perfect.
Even if they probably won't even read the comments you're posting, you should only post praises.

I would understand if the comment left is hateful, full of insults, etc.
But when you're being nice and say you like the person, what's the need to white knight?
They're grown adults willingly putting their life out there. Criticism will be a part of it. Period.
If they can't deal with nice comments that have a hint of criticism or "negativity", then they should never have started vlogging because there are MUCH worse comments.

Besides, criticism can help keep them grounded.
Who wants a vlogger that gets super full of themselves because all they see is how amazing, pretty and perfect they are?

Tbh I think Sharla's personality is super... bland? I don't know, she doesn't give me much of a vibe in her vlogs. I liked her when I discovered her a couple years ago, but that was when she still went out with people, showed interest in Japan and tried a lot of different things (one of my favourite videos was probably the love hotel one with Mira). Now I wouldn't be able to describe her personality because she fakes/exaggerates so many of her emotions.

Yep
Sharla just doesn't seem to be an interesting person. And it shows.
She doesn't seem to have any talents, hobbies or interests outside Pokemon, food and cats.
And her lack of ambition/motivation doesn't help her.

It would be very different if she had a boring life but she was very outgoing and creative and always found ways to make her boring life fun (or at least seem fun on video). I think she tries but is not very successful (with people who don't have the blinders on) because of her bland personality.

Posted

If a youtuber really wants to show us a unique cafe, then let that be a smaller focus for the video. A good example of this imo, would be 2QHAN (they annoy me too, but i prefer their content). When they do cafe tours, it's always the third or fourth main topic of discussion for that one particular video. They also thoroughly show off the decor/interior, which makes me genuinely want to go there. This is another thing Sharla doesn't deliver on. 

Sharla: Hey guys, here's another KOREAN cafe! 

Me:

giphy.thumb.gif.9914d06fb9cd3b36f778a83e

Posted

LMAO Just imagine Yumi, Sharla, Taylor and whoever else you want to add, meeting. That's comedic value!

When was the jvlogger clique ever interested in culture? Sadly, they only seem to care for the shopping and pop culture aspect of Korea or Japan. (You can imagine my surprise when Kim Dao actually showed a whole sightseeing day in Beijing and went to the Great Wall) How can someone be so not interested in the culture at all?

I am not really familiar with J-vloggers (I only follow Abroad in Japan), but are you really telling me that they don't ever visit places like that? Is it just about cafés and shops? Well, that's really disappointing. Like, I am not talking about museums or boring stuff... I am talking about the hanok village and some famous palaces.

Well, I thought that J-vloggers were a bit superficial, but damn... seeing people in their late 20s not interested in the "real" culture of a country is really depressing

Posted

MORE CAFES THERE IS MORE TO DO IN SEOUL THAN CAFES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

I am not really familiar with J-vloggers (I only follow Abroad in Japan), but are you really telling me that they don't ever visit places like that? Is it just about cafés and shops? Well, that's really disappointing. Like, I am not talking about museums or boring stuff... I am talking about the hanok village and some famous palaces.

Well, I thought that J-vloggers were a bit superficial, but damn... seeing people in their late 20s not interested in the "real" culture of a country is really depressing

I think for some they have zero interest in Japanese culture.  Then for others it's not just disinterest, it's the lack of views they get for those kind of videos.  They are very worried about their videos getting less views compared to their counterparts.  It bothers them to feel like they're at the bottom of the "top" vloggers.  

The problem is that making a temple or shrine visit interesting is trickier than just going to a theme cafe because you need to make the history behind it more interesting.  If you film a nature place, you need good shots and angles.  Theme cafes and "come shop with us" don't take near the work that making a good video about historical or nature places take to be interesting.  

Unless it's a video about a fox village or an onsen, it can be hard to get views.  

Sharla went to Seoul at a bad time.  With the winter coming, she can't do a lot of the outdoor stuff (like hikes or Jeju).  There isn't that many festivals and their christmas light displays aren't as advanced (yet) as the ones in Japan are getting.  

There will be the New Year's stuff, but Seoul is best in spring and summer.  Fall comes earlier there than Tokyo so she missed that as well.  She missed a gorgeous fall in Japan.  

Seoul is amazing fun in summer.  I LOVE South Korea in summer, but would never go there in winter.  Brrr... too cold. Few events happen and everything just waits out the long winter.  I imagine she won't have much to film besides cafes. Maybe New Year's and Valentine's Day. Things should pick up in spring.  

Posted

I think for some they have zero interest in Japanese culture.  Then for others it's not just disinterest, it's the lack of views they get for those kind of videos.  They are very worried about their videos getting less views compared to their counterparts.  It bothers them to feel like they're at the bottom of the "top" vloggers.  
The problem is that making a temple or shrine visit interesting is trickier than just going to a theme cafe because you need to make the history behind it more interesting.  If you film a nature place, you need good shots and angles.  Theme cafes and "come shop with us" don't take near the work that making a good video about historical or nature places take to be interesting.  

Unless it's a video about a fox village or an onsen, it can be hard to get views.  

Sharla went to Seoul at a bad time.  With the winter coming, she can't do a lot of the outdoor stuff (like hikes or Jeju).  There isn't that many festivals and their christmas light displays aren't as advanced (yet) as the ones in Japan are getting.  

There will be the New Year's stuff, but Seoul is best in spring and summer.  Fall comes earlier there than Tokyo so she missed that as well.  She missed a gorgeous fall in Japan.  

Seoul is amazing fun in summer.  I LOVE South Korea in summer, but would never go there in winter.  Brrr... too cold. Few events happen and everything just waits out the long winter.  I imagine she won't have much to film besides cafes. Maybe New Year's and Valentine's Day. Things should pick up in spring.  

Honestly for me the Reason I wanna go to Korea is the food and the Culture. KPOP to me is dessert, a great treat but not a full meal. Also Seollal and Chuseok are two of the festivals I wanna check out. I also wanna check out the Bukcheon Hanok village in Seoul and the Gyeongbokgung Palace and Changdeokgung Palace. (Places I bet Sharla wont even bother going to while she is in Korea)

I think I made a better Korea Itinerary than Sharla has right now 

Also I wanna try Sannakji, Jokbal and Samgyetang

Posted

I want to add a bit to what has been already said... I think another problem for many of those j-vloggers is that a lot has been done already. Sometimes even by themselves years earlier. Sharla has been doing this for quite a while too now... Don’t get me wrong though, I’m sure people can still make great videos. It’s just getting more difficult and while some people might try and others just make videos about cafes, Pokémon, cats and tea. :doge: 

(And Sharla does seem to have very few personal interests. At least few she’s willing to share.)

Then there’s a good chance those videos would cost more (traveling etc) than a regular “omg another Pokémon figure” video. I’m not sure if it’s because the channels are smaller and make less, if they start to rely on YouTube too early to pay their bills or... but they just seem less willing to reinvest the money they make imo (and if they want to do something like this they do things like Sharla’s Patreon goal for traveling). Of course investing -even in your own product in this case- means taking a risk that at times might not pay off in the end, but improving content is still important?! A lot of them seem stagnant and I don’t think that’ll do well on YouTube in the long run. 

Posted

I want to add a bit to what has been already said... I think another problem for many of those j-vloggers is that a lot has been done already. Sometimes even by themselves years earlier. Sharla has been doing this for quite a while too now... Don’t get me wrong though, I’m sure people can still make great videos. It’s just getting more difficult and while some people might try and others just make videos about cafes, Pokémon, cats and tea. :doge: 

(And Sharla does seem to have very few personal interests. At least few she’s willing to share.)

Then there’s a good chance those videos would cost more (traveling etc) than a regular “omg another Pokémon figure” video. I’m not sure if it’s because the channels are smaller and make less, if they start to rely on YouTube too early to pay their bills or... but they just seem less willing to reinvest the money they make imo (and if they want to do something like this they do things like Sharla’s Patreon goal for traveling). Of course investing -even in your own product in this case- means taking a risk that at times might not pay off in the end, but improving content is still important?! A lot of them seem stagnant and I don’t think that’ll do well on YouTube in the long run. 

Well, if you live in Seoul, visiting palaces doesn't cost much, or does it?

Abroad in Japan and Life where I am from make video about cultural stuff (am I wrong) and they do get views. The second channel also made a video about homeless Japanese people and got almost 2million views. I think people underestimate the curiosity of the youtube audience. People are not only interested in cafés, actually they want to learn more about the different countries. 

I think this is just an excuse, they look like they give zero shit about the culture of the country they are living in. 

Posted

The only thing I've learned about both j- and kvloggers is that if you didn't have the initial interest, are worried about views or everything has already been covered there's not much to talk about. Most j-and kvloggers viewers are partially to blame imo since a lot of them claim that they are really into Japan or Korea but when you start digging you realize it's all superficial interest that mainly revolve around pop culture making it difficult for vloggers to gain views on other topics. You need to be very well spoken and interesting to make temples, shrines, hanoks, museums and any other cultural thing worth watching and since most vloggers either don't have the interest, time or money they don't bother. So I don't think Sharla will bring anything new to the kvlogger community since it's either already been talked about or she has no interest in talking about certain culture aspects of Korea.

OT but this can apply to any sort of travel YT channel regardless of the country and could also explain why some other internet personalities Ify, Miles etc are disappointed when they first visit Japan/Korea or any other place (high expectations centred around stereotypes and exaggerations of the culture) 

Posted (edited)

^ agreed with a lot that is said above. A lot of the J and K Vloggers only dig superficially into Korea and Japan and I don't think we will see many different videos from Sharla when she is in Korea. 

Its honestly really a shame.  I learn so many new things about Korea whenever we (my husband and I) visit my in laws and its because each time we go, I make my husband show me something different or I make an effort to go out and experience the culture, food, museums, temples, etc on my own. Korea has so much rich culture and history. Sharla only wants to show OMG LOOK AT THIS BUNNY CAFE and doesn't want to organise or do anything on the 1000+ years of Korean history? Instead we get videos of POKEMON HUNTING, LOOK I BOUGHT MY CAT A NEW OUTFIT, LOOK MORE SHIT FOR MY CATS!!!?!?!!! 

I'd rather watch a video on the history of dynasties in Korea, palaces, temples, wars, how fashion has evolved, food - there's so many untouched topics Sharla or even any vlogger could get into in Korea or Japan and they just don't because they only want to go into the superficial culture there. I mean that's cool, great for them its their channel and they can do all the superficial vlogging they want.

I just won't be watching.

Edited by Hwasa

Posted

^ agreed with a lot that is said above. A lot of the J and K Vloggers only dig superficially into Korea and Japan and I don't think we will see many different videos from Sharla when she is in Korea. 

Its honestly really a shame.  I learn so many new things about Korea whenever we (my husband and I) visit my in laws and its because each time we go, I make my husband show me something different or I make an effort to go out and experience the culture, food, museums, temples, etc on my own. Korea has so much rich culture and history. Sharla only wants to show OMG LOOK AT THIS BUNNY CAFE and doesn't want to organise or do anything on the 1000+ years of Korean history? Instead we get videos of POKEMON HUNTING, LOOK I BOUGHT MY CAT A NEW OUTFIT, LOOK MORE SHIT FOR MY CATS!!!?!?!!! 

I'd rather watch a video on the history of dynasties in Korea, palaces, temples, wars, how fashion has evolved, food - there's so many untouched topics Sharla or even any vlogger could get into in Korea or Japan and they just don't because they only want to go into the superficial culture there. I mean that's cool, great for them its their channel and they can do all the superficial vlogging they want.

I just won't be watching.

Seriously, even just showing a hanbok would be more interesting then effing cafés and pokémon go. 

Posted

Wasn't Sharla gonna give like biweeekly updates about her diet? What happened to that? Last update was almost two months ago.

Posted

Well, if you live in Seoul, visiting palaces doesn't cost much, or does it?

Maybe I wasn’t that clear, but I was talking about j vloggers  and Sharla’s old content. I thought that’s what you were writing about before. I don’t see how Seoul will be any different for her, though. It seems to be a lot like Tokyo in the way that a lot of well known vloggers in Korea are already in Seoul (or almost all?) and have been for ages, some I’d even question if they ever seen anything of Korea but Seoul. (Edward Avila to be exact lol.) Then a lot of people watching also mostly seem interested in pop culture or maybe Korean beauty products. I don’t think it will be any easier for her to do interesting and original content there than it was in Japan. 

I’ll admit I had my hopes up for a moment because I assumed that she herself would be more interested in her surroundings again and it would show in her videos. But that seems to have been wrong. :alpacaworry: