youtube Sharla in Japan

3221 posts in this topic

Posted

So she’s abandoning her Sharla in Japan channel.

8EB97266-803B-442C-8D56-EFF308F1BBBE.thu

Posted (edited)

at first i thought "huh well making a patreon to help get support from your fanbase close to a move isn't a bad idea cuz you need funds idk blahblah"

but then i realized that ya know.... these people yeah might have supported for sharla as a person but most likely and MAINLY they supported for her content IN JAPAN. like what. that's not.... what people signed up for lmao. now that's kinda scummy if i think about it that way.

like yeah her content might not DRASTICALLY change, but it will change a bit obviously. especially for any weebs that watch her channel, but who knows they might be closet kboos.

edit: just saw the post above mine, she's seriously just abandoning the sharla in japan channel? really? what are the stats on that account VS her sharmander one? jesus.

Edited by yeongwonhi

Posted

Not sure why she'd abandon her main channel considering it's what got her where she's at now, her main's content is a lot better and professionally put together, why not just apply that work ethnic to new Korean videos?

She shouldn't have any agency problems anymore you'd think

Unless she wants to keep that channel as some sort of time capsule and just wants to move on, which makes sense too imo

Posted

Abandoning her main channel in my opinion isn't the best decision but I'm sure there's a good reason for that since it seems like something you wouldn't do . The Peatreon does now seem shady , they obvious knew they were moving and she did state that she needed money for travel inside Japan. Moving to Korea is expensive and peotreon could help in the first few months ,she did spend some of the money on a camera already, so it's unlikely she will shut the peatreon down if that is it real intended purpose.

Posted

I'm not sure why she would abandon Sharla in Japan, unless she's leaving the idea of educational videos completely behind and just becoming a vlogger. 

Posted

I think the reason to keep everything in the second channel is because her second channel does better when it comes to the subs-views ratio , her main channel doesn't have the numbers it should have with that amount of subs plus she has an agency for that channel, her second channel is 100% hers, more control and more money.

Regarding Patreon, I don't think she woke up one day and said "we're moving to Korea, we need money, let's open a Patreon", her Patreon was in the making for a long time but she never pulled the trigger until now because she was insecure, personally I think is all down to bad timing and not hidden agendas, and to be honest if you read the Patreon description she says she wants money to take care of his family.

Her Patreon is not very well thought out but at the end of the day, fans vote with their wallets, if they are unhappy they will withdraw their money and I don't think that will happen, my feeling is people like her and they want to support her, no matter if she is in Japan, the moon or some of her goals make nonsense.

I don't think the travel goal needs to be changed now that she is moving to Korea, she said she will come back to Japan from time to time for work, I guess she is going to keep working with her agency for Japanese videos, she can still use the Patreon money to stay in Japan some extra days and make that extra Japan video thanks to Patreon.

Posted (edited)

, her  personally I think is all down to bad timing and not hidden agendas, and to be honest if you read the Patreon description she says she wants money to take care of his family.

Her Patreon is not very well thought out but at the end of the day, fans vote with their wallets, if they are unhappy they will withdraw their money and I don't think that will happen, my feeling is people like her and they want to support her, no matter if she is in Japan, the moon or some of her goals make nonsense.

I don't think the travel goal needs to be changed now that she is moving to Korea, she said she will come back to Japan from time to time for work, I guess she is going to keep working with her agency for Japanese videos, she can still use the Patreon money to stay in Japan some extra days and make that extra Japan video thanks to Patreon.

Ah the infamous "b-but they just want to support them!" excuse whenever the rewards of a patreon or kickstarter or any kind of fundraising thing is questioned.  Every single time people question the rewards or motives, this one gets whipped out.  

Of course, people can waste their money on whatever they want.  I waste my money on eating out more than I should, but it makes me happy. No one is questioning someone's right to do it, they're just questioning the judgement and the motives behind the vlogger asking for these handouts.  

"Patreon was in the making for a long time but she never pulled the trigger until now because she was insecure," 

How is that assumption more valid than other people's suspicions?  It's all because of her insecurity?  I don't buy that at all.   

We'll find out, won't we?  I have a feeling she'll be more curious to explore around South Korea and all since it's new and shiny than Japan.  A trip to Jeju here and oh a quick pop over to Hong Kong to see Taylor.  I really doubt they'll be room for that many trips to Japan.  

Regarding Patreon, I don't think she woke up one day and said "we're moving to Korea, we need money, let's open a Patreon"

So she didn't have any clue she was moving to Korea when she opened a month ago?  She didn't have any clue when she wrote those rewards and that goal?  She's moving cats and uprooting herself.  That plane ticket was likely purchased in advanced, maybe even before she made the Patreon.  

Did her husband not give notice at work that he was quitting?  In fact, I was wondering why he was appearing in more of her videos lately.  He probably gave notice and used up his paid holidays.  That's usually how people quit their jobs in Japan.  

She knew in advanced when she opened it about the fact that she was moving.  Unless it was something like, "my father-in-law" suddenly fell ill and we need to take care of him, this was something she knew of in advance.  

Whether it's good or bad, I don't know.  But I don't believe for one moment she hadn't been planning her move before she opened her Patreon.  

Will her fans care, probably not.  They'll probably just shrug and go "b-but we want to support her!" like vlogger fans always do.  

Edited by All Over The World

Posted (edited)

Ah the infamous "b-but they just want to support them!" 

*Ah the infamous "b-but they just want to support them!" excuse whenever the rewards of a patreon or kickstarter or any kind of fundraising thing is questioned.  Every single time people question the rewards or motives, this one gets whipped out.  

Not making excuses, Its my vibe, I already said I don't like her Patreon and I'm not supporting her there, I have no interest on defending her Patreon. Just giving my honest opinion.

*How is that assumption more valid than other people's suspicions?  It's all because of her insecurity?  I don't buy that at all.   

Is not an assumption, she has talked about opening a Patreon for many months and expressed her insecurity about if it was the right thing to do or the way to move forward with her career. In no way my opinion or suspicions are better than others.

So she didn't have any clue she was moving to Korea when she opened a month ago?  She didn't have any clue when she wrote those rewards and that goal?  She's moving cats and uprooting herself.  That plane ticket was likely purchased in advanced, maybe even before she made the Patreon.  

She knew for sure that she was moving, where did I said she didn't knew?, there is a context, Patreon. The only thing I said is I don't think the reason to open the Patreon was the move to Korea and I don't think there is anything malicious about it, is just down to bad timing, the Patreon was going to happen even if they stayed in Japan.

I agree she should have worded the travel goal in another way if she knew she was moving to Korea but like I explained above, she can still use that money to travel in Japan an make that extra Japan video when she comes back to Japan from time to time, if she is going to do that, use the money to travel in Korea or buy G-Dragon stickers is up to her and her Patreons if they feel they want more transparency,  time will tell.

The right thing to do was to make the announcement before making the Patreon if she knew she was moving to Korea?, ABSOLUTELY. There is something shady about the way she has done it?, not in my opinion.

Edited by casio

Posted

Oh @casio made me wonder if G-Dragon will replace Pokémon now lol.

Anyway, I agree that she didn’t create the Patreon because of the move. My issue is more with starting this and not disclosing all info I guess. Imagine this was not some random YouTuber but a real business and after you are signed up for a month they suddenly change their content completely. But I’ll also admit that her lazy af Patreon annoyed me and now I’m just looking for me things to dislike, I’m not exactly fair either. 

And yeah, most of her audience won’t mind. If she’s indeed moved back to Canada that would probably be a different story, but with Korea she’ll probably just get more people who’re interested with all those Kboos around atm. 

Posted

I wish her good luck.

Maybe it'll help her channel evolve because she's kind of been in a slump for a good while now

Posted (edited)

Is not an assumption, she has talked about opening a Patreon for many months and expressed her insecurity about if it was the right thing to do or the way to move forward with her career. In no way my opinion or suspicions are better than others.

She knew for sure that she was moving, where did I said she didn't knew?, there is a context, Patreon. The only thing I said is I don't think the reason to open the Patreon was the move to Korea and I don't think there is anything malicious about it, is just down to bad timing, the Patreon was going to happen even if they stayed in Japan.

So the only evidence is what she said there.  From what I've seen vloggers will often tell their fans one thing and mean another.  This part is just my opinion, but I believe that her move to Korea played a lot bigger part in opening the patreon than her insecurity did.  That's just my thoughts there.  

The Korea move did have a big part in things to me.  It's a big financial decision and she opens it right when she's going to need the money.  

"bad timing".  

More like convenient timing.  

All these years in Japan and she opens a patreon the month before she's leaving Japan.  Thank God, she overcame her insecurity at just the right time.  Whew! 

Sorry, I don't buy that.  

I agree. I don't think it was done for sinister reasons, just for ones that were very convenient to Sharla.  

I also don't get why she brought a suitcase to load up on Taylor's stuff a week ago if she was going to move to Korea.  I guess Sharla will also invite friends to load up on the Taylor's stuff she got?  

And what of the Plushies?     

Edited by All Over The World

Posted (edited)

All these years in Japan and she opens a patreon the month before she's leaving Japan. 

She opens the Patreon now because probably is now when she is suffering the most the effects of youtube new ad system/policies . She is losing money, or getting less if you prefer. He was thinking about Patreon in early 2016, Sharla's Patreon was coming, just took a little long compared to other people.

Moving to a new house to live with her husband was a big financial decision too and she didn't open a Patreon back them to fund such a move.

If they move in January/February, she is not going to get that much money from Patreon in comparison with how much do you need to move countries and rent/buy a house and all the related expenses, and she already burned part of her first month in the camera.

We are not gonna agree on this but I'm not saying you are wrong or my opinion is more valid than yours :P

------------------------

If I'm reading this correctly, looks like she is totally abandoning her main channel.

1.thumb.jpg.6180b213cbb9ebf381082cf84129

Edited by casio

Posted

I don't think I'll follow Sharla anymore unless her content gets really interesting in S. Korea...but on the other hand I predict it's going to be boy band merch unboxing, stalking their workplace some more, and basically just replace pokemon with...what was it? I think she liked that G Dragon? (I'm so hip with the kids!). Not really into those things, but we'll see. 

Posted

I’ve been completely ignoring her channel for a while now, but I must say I’m sorta excited for this. She’s obviously lost all her enthusiasm for Japan. It shows in her videos and viewers can feel it. A new place may breathe new air into the smoldering remains of her former self.