youtube Sharla in Japan

3221 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm kind of really bugged by any vlogger having pets and then leaving them with someone else for weeks to go travel. Especially cats. If there's a house sitter staying with them, okay, but I would hate giving my cats in a different environment where I can't check on them for weeks. It's the reason why I still don't have pets, I don't want to stress them with letting them stay elsewhere constantly just so I can travel around without a care.

I also don't get why Sharla's not simply honest about her Patreon goals. People would still pay if she said it's to travel between countries, to save for them moving to Canada and so on. Probably would be interesting to make the perks Japanese and Korean for now while she's still there, more people might pledge for that.

Posted

I actually liked this vlog but one of my pet peeves is the fact she filmed everybody's faces ( especially in the grocery store) and I think Japan is pretty strict on that but idk.

Posted

You never know.  The Collectible Plush Toy Market could take off any day now.  We mock now, but that Bulbasaur Plushie could be worth thousands in a few... centuries.  

Now you just reminded me to get my pokemon cards from the 90s. THAT is worth something. 

Posted

I actually liked this vlog but one of my pet peeves is the fact she filmed everybody's faces ( especially in the grocery store) and I think Japan is pretty strict on that but idk.

I think at the festival is okay since it's pretty common for everyone to be filming around.  

I do have a question.  If this is Sharla's university, does that  mean it was also K3's?  I thought they went to the same university or am I remembering that wrong.  I don't know the whole history of those two or how they met. I thought it was in university.  

Posted

I think at the festival is okay since it's pretty common for everyone to be filming around.  
I do have a question.  If this is Sharla's university, does that  mean it was also K3's?  I thought they went to the same university or am I remembering that wrong.  I don't know the whole history of those two or how they met. I thought it was in university.  

I think Mira dropped out of High School though?

Just watched the video. Sharla with Greg and Nicole is so different than Sharla with Taylor. She seems to have much more fun when she is with one of these two...

Posted

I don't even wanna watch that because the thumbnail already is so blurred and edited to hell.

Posted

Anyone else always torn about those skincare boxes? I don’t hate that she’s selling them or rather doing this cooperation, I guess for a lot of people it’s just stuff they cannot easily buy where ever they are so I don’t mind the price as much either (don’t know the price for this specific one the site didn’t work for me), and to say something positive about her promoting these: at least she seems to test them for some time. I’d personally say a month is not a lot of time for skincare, especially if you use ‘active’ ingredients, but still better than just reading out loud what the packaging says as some people seem to do. Especially with the acne specific one now though, there’s a problem I often have with youtubers talking about topics where they lack expertise, e.g. treating actual skin conditions. I think Sharla even tried to talk about “her experience” rather than handing out general advice, but it is a fine line. There’s definitely worse offenders, but I was curious how other people see it. Maybe I’m just overthinking this, but I remember how desperate I was to get rid of my (pretty mild) acne as a teen...  guess the worst that can happen is that they lose a few bucks and have another product that didn’t do much. 

Also not too fond of her not making clear that those are not the specific products that helped  her with her acne. It’a not like she’s hiding for how long she used them, but some people in the comment section seem confused. And using that “before picture” of someone else in the thumbnail... I get it, I don’t have any pictures of me with acne and no make up either, because I was that self conscious. But using it as an example (with explanation) in the video is different than using it as the “before” on your stupid thumbnail. 

Posted

Anyone else always torn about those skincare boxes? I don’t hate that she’s selling them or rather doing this cooperation, I guess for a lot of people it’s just stuff they cannot easily buy where ever they are so I don’t mind the price as much either (don’t know the price for this specific one the site didn’t work for me), and to say something positive about her promoting these: at least she seems to test them for some time. I’d personally say a month is not a lot of time for skincare, especially if you use ‘active’ ingredients, but still better than just reading out loud what the packaging says as some people seem to do. Especially with the acne specific one now though, there’s a problem I often have with youtubers talking about topics where they lack expertise, e.g. treating actual skin conditions. I think Sharla even tried to talk about “her experience” rather than handing out general advice, but it is a fine line. There’s definitely worse offenders, but I was curious how other people see it. Maybe I’m just overthinking this, but I remember how desperate I was to get rid of my (pretty mild) acne as a teen...  guess the worst that can happen is that they lose a few bucks and have another product that didn’t do much. 

Also not too fond of her not making clear that those are not the specific products that helped  her with her acne. It’a not like she’s hiding for how long she used them, but some people in the comment section seem confused. And using that “before picture” of someone else in the thumbnail... I get it, I don’t have any pictures of me with acne and no make up either, because I was that self conscious. But using it as an example (with explanation) in the video is different than using it as the “before” on your stupid thumbnail. 

I loved such boxes years ago, just general surprise boxes, but in the end I learned that there's always too much stuff in them that I don't end up using and that it's wasted money. With skincare it's even worse because only because someone recommends it to you and says it worked amazingly for them, doesn't mean it's working for your own skin as well. Everyone's individual and to fool your viewers like that just to make some extra money by selling them products is really unfair. Who knows if Sharla really used those products. Who knows if she ever really had acne-prone skin or just a pimple every couple weeks.

Tbh I believe she always had pretty clear skin, so yeah. Great if it really worked for her, but that doesn't mean that it will work for anyone with real acne. Now if someone like Taylor used one product over a month and her skin actually looked better after that, I would trust that more lol

Posted

I don't even wanna watch that because the thumbnail already is so blurred and edited to hell.

i hate when people do these kinds of videos and don't show the products in use on their bare skin. Also it might just be me but it always bothers me when YouTubers try to sell these supposed acne cures and make it seem like they're a miracle, especially when the video is sponsored.

Posted

I loved such boxes years ago, just general surprise boxes, but in the end I learned that there's always too much stuff in them that I don't end up using and that it's wasted money. With skincare it's even worse because only because someone recommends it to you and says it worked amazingly for them, doesn't mean it's working for your own skin as well. Everyone's individual and to fool your viewers like that just to make some extra money by selling them products is really unfair. Who knows if Sharla really used those products. Who knows if she ever really had acne-prone skin or just a pimple every couple weeks.

Tbh I believe she always had pretty clear skin, so yeah. Great if it really worked for her, but that doesn't mean that it will work for anyone with real acne. Now if someone like Taylor used one product over a month and her skin actually looked better after that, I would trust that more lol

That’s a good point. Not a reason for me to hate these boxes because I think you do know what you get, but I would probably end up with a lot of stuff I’d never use again. Also since this is for acne and oily skin...

I always have the impression a lot of kids will just assume they have oily skin because they have acne. In reality it might not be the right product for them anyway. Oh well, as I said it most likely will just end up in a bunch of them spending money on stuff they don’t need. (Sharla is an expert on that at least lol.) I hope they don’t get their hopes up too much. At least she also mentioned a few other things that might help, e.g. as she mentioned giving up on dairy products and that seriously helped a friend of mine, did nothing for me though. Skin conditions are just so complex that just getting recommendations -even from a well meaning friend, not some random youtuber- doesn’t do much. 

Posted

The thumbnail is a little misleading to be honest, the video is fine, she is not saying those products she is selling will cure that severe acne on the thumbnail. People should go to a dermatologist before trying anything.

Her skin is not as good as you think it is from thumbnails and videos, she has a decent amount of scars in her cheekbones and forehead, you can see that in some videos when she is under sunlight. I really don't understand why she keeps editing her beauty marks in the thumbnails.

Posted

The thumbnail is a little misleading to be honest, the video is fine, she is not saying those products she is selling will cure that severe acne on the thumbnail. People should go to a dermatologist before trying anything.

That’s exactly why I was so torn about this. On the one hand I’m glad she didn’t make those statements, she has zero expertise after all. On the other hand, I had the impression she left it (sort of) ambiguous on purpose, so she could imply it will help you without having to face any repercussions. The thumbnail just being one example. But yeah, overthinking it I guess I’ll just stop. :alpacaworry:

Posted

She mentioned on twitter that she was going to do this video. I was like hell yeah Im excited for this.

In the actual video: Mentions 4 obvious things quickly then preaches all this skincare she's somewhat sponsored by. 

Cool. I really hate videos like this.

Posted

Wow, if what Sharla said is true she had the cyst kind of acne that is really deep.  That's really tough to deal with.  

Posted

The public bath (sento) video from a few days ago was really nice. I'm especially fond of sento because I'm convinced it helped cure a chronic pain I had. Onsen is amazing too but sento is so affordable and the variety is great so I'm glad she made a video.