• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

youtube Sharla in Japan

5983 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

And filming it!!!! :doge:

ymPH9jJ.gif

I had to like this because that cat gif is the most awesome thing ever.  It's SHAR CAT!  

Edited by All Over The World

Posted

Ngl I watched that whole video and saw her husband's pretty sweet gaming rig he's got set up and...why does she need a patreon to buy him a new laptop for editing? :derp:

Posted (edited)

Giving money to the vloggers is zero investment. (Let's be honest, we could as well flush it in the toilet) It's basically handing them pocket money for them to do whatever they want and chill. This is not like kickstarter or funding projects, but really just giving them money as a present.

You can apply that same mindset with anything. Why pay for a $10 monthly Spotify subscription when you can just listen to music for free on the internet and donate that money to a charity instead?

Donating to Twitch streamers, paying strippers, having a Netflix subscription, etc. These are all forms of entertainment that people are willing to pay for because it's an investment for them. The idea of paying for your entertainment is not new. YouTubers are entertainers at the end of the day. They take time out of their schedules to film and edit videos for their viewers, and there are people who like to pay/support entertainers for that labor instead of demanding it for free. I wouldn't give Sharla any of my money cause I find her mediocre therefore zero investment for me, but some people love supporting mediocrity lol

Edited by ocean berry

Posted

You can apply that same mindset with anything. Why pay for a $10 monthly Spotify subscription when you can just listen to music for free on the internet and donate that money to a charity instead?

Donating to Twitch streamers, paying strippers, having a Netflix subscription, etc. These are all forms of entertainment that people are willing to pay for because it's an investment for them. The idea of paying for your entertainment is not new. YouTubers are entertainers at the end of the day. They take time out of their schedules to film and edit videos for their viewers, and there are people who like to pay/support entertainers for that labor instead of demanding it for free. I wouldn't give Sharla any of my money cause I find her mediocre therefore zero investment for me, but some people love supporting mediocrity lol

I'm going to be honest: I don't get the comparison. Paying for a service of any kind is still something entirely different than watch a bunch of vloggers lazing off at home and going to the supermarket? (I alo said before I donate to Sharla & co, not necessarily to other people with content. I don't mean only charity. Some here have put examples of people with interesting content. Or kickstarter projects.)

And you just said it yourself: Sharla is mediocre at best. What she does is not a job. What Superwoman does is a job (I've recenlty binge-watched some of her videos) - now that's content! And I can see people investing in content that is interesting. But with Sharla and Micaela it's like a rip-off. How do they even justify their patreon or their request for money? Sharla wants a new laptop and Micaela wants to travel? We also all know that the way they do youtube is not a job, can never be a job, which is probably why smart girls like princessmei use it as a plattform to gain an audience and then move towards something new (in her case modelling) But for a bunch of vloggers it seems like they want to continue to live in that bubble by all means, instead of actually putting more effort into things and maybe also try to progress themselves.

Besides - entertainment or not - Netflix and Spotify still provide us with a service. I pay, I can watch or stream legally (I know no one cares, and I don't care either, but streaming is still illegal).  Even paying a stripper is still some kind of service I pay for.

Posted

I added the link to Sharla's patreon to the front page of this thread if you need to find it quick.  

So far she's at 121 and almost to 70% of the camera goal.  Her laptop goal is still far off, but she's doing pretty decent for her patreon account.  Far, far better than Kandajin's flop.  

Posted

So far she's at 121 and almost to 70% of the camera goal.

The camera goal is already at 100%, the travel goal is the one at 70%. Really surprised by how good she is doing, the laptop goal is probably a hard one to get, but I think the travel goal is achievable. I wish she will add more things to the patreon to reflect how good she is doing because she is getting solid money at this point.

Posted

The camera goal is already at 100%, the travel goal is the one at 70%. Really surprised by how good she is doing, the laptop goal is probably a hard one to get, but I think the travel goal is achievable. I wish she will add more things to the patreon to reflect how good she is doing because she is getting solid money at this point.

The camera goal must've jumped or some patrons increased their offers then. 

I thought her patreon would do well when I first saw it.  It's not going to reach Abroad in Japan levels, but she'll at least do as good as RJ and likely better than Gimmeabreakman whose patreon seems stagnant but on the decline side as others jump in.  

Posted

I would much rather pay for a CD or DVD and support people who are busting their asses off and actually deserve the support. Or the ones collecting funds for a meaningful project such as a documentary. Not Sharla's lazy ass who just wants to do nothing and travel. If you want the money, earn it. That's it. I'm certainly never ever gonna give a cent to her lazy ass. 

Posted (edited)

I'm considering taking one for the team and pay 2 dollars/month so we can all see what she writes on the Patreon only feed lmao
Like I'm not rich, but I can spare 2 dollars each month for now

Edited by nopancakes
how do you delete your post computer fucked up

Posted

I would much rather pay for a CD or DVD and support people who are busting their asses off and actually deserve the support. Or the ones collecting funds for a meaningful project such as a documentary. Not Sharla's lazy ass who just wants to do nothing and travel. If you want the money, earn it. That's it. I'm certainly never ever gonna give a cent to her lazy ass. 

Yeah, I feel like I don't mind paying for an entertainment service. I do it all the time, but I want a certain level of quality.  You tube is free so I hold it to a lower standard.  I understand we can't demand too much for a service we're not really paying for, but when Sharla is switching to being paid by more than you tube ads, it seems like people have a right to demand better quality.  

Posted (edited)

before donating 10$ to Sharla or Micaela or whatever other vlogger (some of you here have mentioned examples of a piano player, which is something completely different imo, since this person seems to create content!) I would rather donate that money to school girls in rural India, pay money for some local charity projcts (Christmas is coming, and in my country they have the Christmas wishlist from children with disabilities), invest in a technical or reasearch project I'm interested in or buy my mother flowers.

Giving money to the vloggers is zero investment. (Let's be honest, we could as well flush it in the toilet) It's basically handing them pocket money for them to do whatever they want and chill. This is not like kickstarter or funding projects, but really just giving them money as a present.

also, as they are vloggerthey give a peek into their lives and they really just seem to promote pretty intense consumerism... I understand people wanting to give money to people they find entertaining (I give to podcasts. how I see it, I'd love to buy them a cup of coffee, so I just send them the money. if every one who appreciate their work gave them a few dollars here and there, they might be able to hire assistants etc and create more content.

there are a few zero waste vloggers promoting eco-friendly living, and when you compare a lot of Jvloggers, they just seem to have so consumerist lifestyles in the worst sense, they really make you feel like all extra money would be spent in just another Pokemon plushies and figurines, or manga makeup with tons of plastic packaging.

messy post, in a sentence: I often feel like sending a few dollars to youtubers who are making videos promoting issues about environment, society, etc. trying to make the world a better place. not people promoting superficial consumerism. 

Edited by Ambie

Posted (edited)

and also, the cat video Sharla's husband makes are giving them money, it's unlike giving the money to comic artists who upload their work to be seem for free (and with no earnings) or downloaded for free. In the latter case, you are giving to people who don't otherwise get money for their creations

If you really love cats, please give the money to a cat shelter (they REALLY need it, to save LIVES.) 

Edited by Ambie
(it was unclear what I meant)

Posted

and also, the cat video Sharla's husband makes are giving them money, it's like giving the money to comic artists who upload their work to be seem for free (and with no earnings) or downloaded for free. 

If you really love cats, please give the money to a cat shelter (they REALLY need it, to save LIVES.) 

Actually that will be nice, if she donates all the money made by the cat channel to cat shelters. Is probably not much, but it will be a nice detail from someone that loves cats that much.

Posted (edited)

@casio as someone who volunteers in shelters, I think your idea is AWESOME! (also, as she doesn't adopt from shelters and I am also part of those who don't think she dealed with the whole Miko situation the best way...

Edited by Ambie

Posted

@casio as someone who volunteers in shelters, I think your idea is AWESOME! (also, as she doesn't adopt from shelters and I am also part of those who don't think she dealed with the whole Miko situation the best way...

In Sharla's defense, it's really hard adopting a pet if you are a foreigner. Rachel and Jun have a video regarding their experience.