youtube Sharla in Japan

2637 posts in this topic

Posted

her japanese has gotten worse and its kind of weird and confusing as to why, since she's been living there for so long now.
i feel like she doesn't have as much passion anymore, which is probably a chunk of why at least.
when she was speaking in the most recent video, about the underwear, i was shook from how terrible she sounded 

Worse as in not saying this correctly or worse as in making sentences that make no sense? (i.e if shes trying to say 'Look over there!' but she's actually saying 'I used to live on the train'). If its the 2nd one if that's true how is her husband understanding her? Doesn't he only speak Japanese?

Posted

When will this Pokemon Go fad wipe itself out?!

Posted

Worse as in not saying this correctly or worse as in making sentences that make no sense? (i.e if shes trying to say 'Look over there!' but she's actually saying 'I used to live on the train'). If its the 2nd one if that's true how is her husband understanding her? Doesn't he only speak Japanese?

It's her pronunciation and the speed and choppiness of her speech.  If she hadn't lived in Japan for 10 years, it wouldn't be an issue. 

Posted

sharla why....?

Posted

im referring to her pronunciation/intonation
its absolutely awful for someone living there for 10+ years 
it used to be better, but she has gotten lazy perhaps, or just lost the passion 
its obvious she's fine with understanding what people are saying, and expressing herself (albeit most of the time very basic) but pronunciation is super important and hers has gone way down hill :C 

Posted

Her videos are so boring lately.

As someone who lives in British Columbia-  had i not already known she's from Victoria, I would never have guessed where she was based off of the footage I've seen. I've read that a lot of you think her "Canada vlogs" are "good" or at least better then Taylor's because "she actually shows us Canada".

The street she was shopping on is one of the main shopping strips in Victoria and is literally right by the boardwalk, farmer's market, museums, the parliament building, and the empress hotel where the queen stayed. What about Vance Creek Bridge or Butchart gardens? She could even whale watch if she wanted! All she had to do was raise her camera or turn that corner and you would have seen some pretty iconic shots. 

All I saw was more shopping and pokemon. 

Posted

I am gonna be harsh, I am sorry, but I read 100 pages here and I am amused that there are people watching her videos.

First, am I the only one that finds her videos really boring? I mean, I have to admit that I do not follow many female youtubers cause I am a tomboy and I find a good percentage of women boring as hell (especially when they talk a lot about beauty). But, gosh, she is on a completely different level. :o

They are always 20 minutes of vlogs involving

• cats (poor creatures)
  • vegan products,
  • pokèmon (aaaaaaaaahhhhhh she is more obsessed than me when I was 10)
  • keyboard-san (Jesus, give him a proper name at least)
  • boring tours around tokyo/other cities where we can mostly see her face and nothing more.
  • hanging out with other annoying j-vloggers

On top of that, she acts and dresses like a teenager when she is in her early 30s.

Seriously, who does watch her videos for more than 3 minutes? I don't get it, seriously.

Posted

Her accent today in the Yokohama vlog (at the gelato shop) was much better, so maybe she actually tries when she's speaking to a native Japanese speaker and/or using more polite speech.

Posted

Yeah, that's probably what it is. Keyboard's used to her accent & he's supposedly learning English too. Maybe she's just waiting til she can finally stop butchering Japanese & speak only English in her home.

Posted

i wasnt gonna watch her latest video before the QnA until you mentioned her accent was better so i thought i'd check it out .
other than the fact i was happy to see greg again, since he seems like a genuine guy, you're right, her accent did sound a lot better 
maybe she just puts minimal effort in when talking with friends, and more effort with shopkeepers or what have you
although it's still not as good as the pronunciation of some of the other jvloggers, it wasn't bad 
she looked cute in the video too

Posted

That is surprising,  I never would have thought she meet her husband in a language app.

Posted

A language app?! Probably happened by chance with something like Interpals or HiNative.

I love Smoothie the cat too. <3

Posted

That is surprising,  I never would have thought she meet her husband in a language app.

My brother met one of his really good friends on a language app! She lives in Thailand, and they're planning on meeting up eventually. Until then, they send each other packages, skype, constantly message each other, etc. I always jokingly say she's his soul mate, haha.

Posted

She is becoming more like Taylor, putting things in the title that only occupy seven (7!!!) seconds of the whole video. Click bait extravaganza 

She literally explains why her Japanese is not that great. When it comes to literature she only consumes manga apparently, she doesn't strive for understanding and learnig more complex Japanese. People underestimate how much language you learn in high school or higher education (even in your native language your vocabulary and understanding increases so much) and so does Sharla. She seems to be one of those people who are fine with just getting by and that attitude really annoys me. 

Someone was lurking here.