• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

YandereDev/ Evaxephon General Thread

10673 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

When artists do draw anime girls with big tats it just looks like they drew them with two watermelons stuck under their outfits tbh

I feel people who draw girls with huge ass tits don’t understand that just because a girl is for example 32DD doesn’t mean they’re watermelons it varies for each girl  

Edited by Monocakes
Add

Posted

Anime girls with huge tits are great when the proportions are realistic. It's a huge turn off when they look like they're from Eiken. 

Posted (edited)

All I know is I understand anime isn't realistic, been watching it since the 90's and I get it but sometimes people take that a little too far. I mean we might as well go all Pablo Picasso at that point. 

Edit: PS sorry to Picasso your art is still a million times better!

Edited by Mabon

Posted

Honestly, This seems like the only reasonable explanation for why the tits are so big.

d603337.jpg

Posted

Honestly, This seems like the only reasonable explanation for why the tits are so big.

d603337.jpg

The picture reminds me of people trying to justify anime girl tats

Posted

I know we went over this already but WHAT IS THE POINT

Screenshot_20200205-191314.png

Posted (edited)

I think it was part of an update (or at least the continuation of an update) where certain students that are very close to each other will lose it and attack Ayano with heroic-level strength if they see her harm their loved one? The succubus sisters (ughhhh) will do the same thing, as will... I forgot their names, it was the osu! rip-off character and her crush. Since the Rainbow Girls have been pared down to just Saki and Kokona, I guess this is the way to retain some of their old bond.

I don't know if it really has any special gameplay consequences since so far the characters who'd go super-strong have no link to the rivals (unless we count Kokona, and at this point we shouldn't), but it's a good bit of flavor. It's not too obtrusive unless the player really wants to kill these background character for whatever reason, and given how many other characters have personality shifts in response to game atmosphere it fits in. I think it's one of the few things he's done to flesh out minor characters that hasn't backfired in some way.

...actually, wait. If there are already characters who hang out with their best friends all the time and will beat Ayano's ass if they see her hurting someone, then why the hell do we need Raibaru? Was it just not ~difficult~ enough and Dev wanted someone who was outright invincible?

I still haven't watched the anti-critique video and I'm not even sure if I want to justify its existence by watching. I'll say this much: There are some pretty strange decisions made in both character design and official illustrations. Megami's awkward-looking gloves, faculty members dressed like walking fetishes and/or parodies, the overall trend of giving almost every major woman character an exaggerated hourglass figure, crotch/ass/navel inexplicably visible through layered or loose clothing... I think you can see a trend here. Seriously, is there even any cheesecake of the male characters? Not that there are many adult men in YSverse, much less conventionally attractive ones. Maybe the Yakuza guy.

Spoiler cut for image size and text walls: One is related to art discussion, and one is totally unrelated.

By the way, while trying to verify some things I remembered about the adults' designs, I came across the sketch progress for the counselor...

Kjech-da1zh3m.thumb.jpg.e83d890db5b727b1

"Too thick" ????? In what world is any of that thick!? I can't even figure out what the difference is between designs #1 and #2, besides pose. In terms of body shape, she's exactly the same. Plus, it's a major pet peeve of mine for thick/thicc to be used for a character with a generic hourglass figure like that. At least give her a waistline, you cowards.

Unrelated to that, I went to check some of the other characters to see if they had art. Instead, I ran facefirst into the wall that is the Journalist's backstory.

journalist.thumb.png.d60516fd562bee8661e

I... I don't... Is the implication here that the Journalist's wife had yandere tendencies herself? By entering a relationship with someone emotionally broken and being jealous when he talks to other women? I hope that's the intended take we're supposed to have, and not "aww, she was so devoted to him and she took care of him all the time! True love!"

Edited by Wiegenlied
messed up spoiler tag somehow, trying to fix

Posted

I think it was part of an update (or at least the continuation of an update) where certain students that are very close to each other will lose it and attack Ayano with heroic-level strength if they see her harm their loved one? The succubus sisters (ughhhh) will do the same thing, as will... I forgot their names, it was the osu! rip-off character and her crush. Since the Rainbow Girls have been pared down to just Saki and Kokona, I guess this is the way to retain some of their old bond.

I don't know if it really has any special gameplay consequences since so far the characters who'd go super-strong have no link to the rivals (unless we count Kokona, and at this point we shouldn't), but it's a good bit of flavor. It's not too obtrusive unless the player really wants to kill these background character for whatever reason, and given how many other characters have personality shifts in response to game atmosphere it fits in. I think it's one of the few things he's done to flesh out minor characters that hasn't backfired in some way.

...actually, wait. If there are already characters who hang out with their best friends all the time and will beat Ayano's ass if they see her hurting someone, then why the hell do we need Raibaru? Was it just not ~difficult~ enough and Dev wanted someone who was outright invincible?

I still haven't watched the anti-critique video and I'm not even sure if I want to justify its existence by watching. I'll say this much: There are some pretty strange decisions made in both character design and official illustrations. Megami's awkward-looking gloves, faculty members dressed like walking fetishes and/or parodies, the overall trend of giving almost every major woman character an exaggerated hourglass figure, crotch/ass/navel inexplicably visible through layered or loose clothing... I think you can see a trend here. Seriously, is there even any cheesecake of the male characters? Not that there are many adult men in YSverse, much less conventionally attractive ones. Maybe the Yakuza guy.

Spoiler cut for image size and text walls: One is related to art discussion, and one is totally unrelated.

Hidden Content

I hate how the YanSim community see nothing wrong with these designs for the guidance counsellor. It's obvious YanDev wants to sexualise teachers and it's bad enough that he gave Kokona Haruka (a HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT) big tats.

Posted (edited)

Kokona is an... interesting topic to discuss, as much as character designers being creeps can be called "interesting". As someone who did have a huge bust all throughout high school and even part of middle school: While that is very much a thing that happens in real life, Kokona is not a real girl with her own agency, nor is she based on or written by a person who's had those experiences. She's a character created entirely from one guy's imagination, and thus every trait about her is a deliberate choice. That includes not just her appearance, but also her backstory and how she's portrayed.

The decision to make one of her side quests about tailoring a custom shirt for her because the standard size is too small for her? A little odd, but whatever, I can relate to that. The decision to imply that her father was sexually abusing her, even though that wasn't actually true? Pretty damn sketchy. The decision to clarify that she's doing underage sex work because she's poor? And then Mulberry drawing a picture of Kokona in her panties as people offer her money, and uploading said pic on DeviantArt?* What the fuck?

( * I need to stop trying to give the benefit of the doubt here... Dev, Mulberry, and Kjech are all equally culpable when it comes to being creeps about young characters. Anyway, I refuse to directly link Mulberry's drawing but the piece is titled "Compensated Dating" and you need a DA account to view it.)

What I'm trying to say is, Kokona is pretty heavily sexualized even compared to the other YS girls, and it's played for shock value. It's also a method for the player to manipulate and blackmail her. While all that could be coincidental to her appearance, that would ignore that:

1. Dev said himself that he singled Kokona and Saki out from the other Rainbow Girls because they had the most unique appearances... which according to him is partly because they have larger busts than the other girls
  2. In a non-canon video Musume makes specific insults about Kokona's figure while slut-shaming her

I kind of hinted at it in my previous post, but I get the feeling that Dev and/or the artists think that large breasts are a sign of maturity, especially sexual maturity. Almost all the adult women have the same busty figures, the sole exceptions being the non-essential faculty members. Megami's mother is supposed to be "genetically perfect" and she looks like... that. At least it's clear that Megami's grandfather is a eugenicist and an all around horrible person, but his sexism and his unrealistic expectations of what a woman should look like lose their effect when put in a world where Muja, Mida, and Genka exist without commentary.

It's not a black-and-white topic, because yes, people who look like this exist! (Well, except for natural pink hair.) And yes, people with large busts and badly-fitted clothing exist! But Kokona doesn't exist as a teenage character who just happens to have a large bust. It's a part of who she is as a character, used to shame and humiliate her for the player's benefit.

It also doesn't really help that the two primary official artists draw cheesecake of the YS characters. I mentioned Mulberry already, but Kjech also provides such wonderful pieces as Kizana in tight pants with unnecessary detail and focus on her ass, and Muja wearing a tight sweater and getting jelly all over her chest. It makes it a lot harder to argue that the way each character is drawn is just coincidence, and not personal preference (be it the artists' or Dev's).

To be honest, I get the feeling that this is part of a larger problem within online/fandom circles... A lot of young fans about a decade ago were raised on ecchi shows and M-rated fanwork that centered around teenage characers, with criticism usually being silenced by accusing anyone who said "hey, that's weird" of being a prude. Because some fans were so young and impressionable and eager to prove they were "mature for their age", many of them took it as a sign it was normal to sexualize teenagers like that.

Now that generation has grown up and is in a position to create content themselves and influence other young fans. But times are changing, and in some ways it's for the best; I'm relieved that people are realizing they don't have to accept this as "normal" and can break the cycles instead. People around my age and Dev's age are at a crossroads where we need to look critically at ourselves and how we conduct ourselves online... and unfortunately, people like Dev and his artists have just doubled down.

And that's what it boils down to, I suppose. A refusal to learn from the past and try to improve from it.

Edited by Wiegenlied

Posted (edited)

Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes sense, but I just don't get what's possessing him to keep adding shit to Kokona while also removing shit from Kokona. Especially when there's someone else that's supposed to be taking priority.

That journalist story sounds like some weird fantasy of his. It just reeks of everything he seems to believe about himself.

Here's our righteous hero, being attacked by the whole world. It's made our poor martyr so depressed, he can't focus on his work, and he's such a slob! It definitely has nothing to do with him being lazy or something! But oh, not to worry about this pitiful man, because out of nowhere comes a girl ready to tend to his every want and need without demanding a single thing from him! She even ignores all of his flaws! Isn't that amazing?

Dude even wrote "me" and forgot to fix it. He's so pathetic, it's ridiculous.

Edited by supersirius
dunno how to quote hidden stuff

Posted

I got that wall of text from the Wiki, so that's probably just a fan making an error trying while changing the Journalist's backstory from first person to third person; a lot of it is direct quotes from transcriptions of the Journalist's tape.

When you put it that way, though, I do wonder if Dev might relate closely to the Journalist... or if he even still remembers he exists, considering that the Saikou subplot seems to have overtaken the Journalist subplot in importance.

Posted (edited)

Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes sense, but I just don't get what's possessing him to keep adding shit to Kokona while also removing shit from Kokona. Especially when there's someone else that's supposed to be taking priority.

That journalist story sounds like some weird fantasy of his. It just reeks of everything he seems to believe about himself.

Here's our righteous hero, being attacked by the whole world. It's made our poor martyr so depressed, he can't focus on his work, and he's such a slob! It definitely has nothing to do with him being lazy or something! But oh, not to worry about this pitiful man, because out of nowhere comes a girl ready to tend to his every want and need without demanding a single thing from him! She even ignores all of his flaws! Isn't that amazing?

definitely one of his pathetic and sexist fantasies LMAOOOO

saw this in his own page on the official wiki of the game. even he knows he’s a basement-dwelling weeb xD

also, how would a high school student not leave her house for five years? wouldn’t that mean she hasn’t left the house since she was 13 if she is actually 18? that makes absolutely no sense because she would need to leave her house to attend middle school...

CBBEF53A-F541-4CFA-855A-EF334C16C348.jpeg

Edited by lulubz

Posted

definitely one of his pathetic and sexist fantasies LMAOOOO
saw this in his own page on the official wiki of the game. even he knows he’s a basement-dwelling weeb xD

Self-hatred much YanDev? Lol

It's so weird that YanDev is just inserting himself into the game by giving his traits into characters that are supposed to be seen in a positive light

Kokona is an... interesting topic to discuss, as much as character designers being creeps can be called "interesting". As someone who did have a huge bust all throughout high school and even part of middle school: While that is very much a thing that happens in real life, Kokona is not a real girl with her own agency, nor is she based on or written by a person who's had those experiences. She's a character created entirely from one guy's imagination, and thus every trait about her is a deliberate choice. That includes not just her appearance, but also her backstory and how she's portrayed.

The decision to make one of her side quests about tailoring a custom shirt for her because the standard size is too small for her? A little odd, but whatever, I can relate to that. The decision to imply that her father was sexually abusing her, even though that wasn't actually true? Pretty damn sketchy. The decision to clarify that she's doing underage sex work because she's poor? And then Mulberry drawing a picture of Kokona in her panties as people offer her money, and uploading said pic on DeviantArt?* What the fuck?

( * I need to stop trying to give the benefit of the doubt here... Dev, Mulberry, and Kjech are all equally culpable when it comes to being creeps about young characters. Anyway, I refuse to directly link Mulberry's drawing but the piece is titled "Compensated Dating" and you need a DA account to view it.)

What I'm trying to say is, Kokona is pretty heavily sexualized even compared to the other YS girls, and it's played for shock value. It's also a method for the player to manipulate and blackmail her. While all that could be coincidental to her appearance, that would ignore that:

1. Dev said himself that he singled Kokona and Saki out from the other Rainbow Girls because they had the most unique appearances... which according to him is partly because they have larger busts than the other girls
  2. In a non-canon video Musume makes specific insults about Kokona's figure while slut-shaming her

I kind of hinted at it in my previous post, but I get the feeling that Dev and/or the artists think that large breasts are a sign of maturity, especially sexual maturity. Almost all the adult women have the same busty figures, the sole exceptions being the non-essential faculty members. Megami's mother is supposed to be "genetically perfect" and she looks like... that. At least it's clear that Megami's grandfather is a eugenicist and an all around horrible person, but his sexism and his unrealistic expectations of what a woman should look like lose their effect when put in a world where Muja, Mida, and Genka exist without commentary.

It's not a black-and-white topic, because yes, people who look like this exist! (Well, except for natural pink hair.) And yes, people with large busts and badly-fitted clothing exist! But Kokona doesn't exist as a teenage character who just happens to have a large bust. It's a part of who she is as a character, used to shame and humiliate her for the player's benefit.

It also doesn't really help that the two primary official artists draw cheesecake of the YS characters. I mentioned Mulberry already, but Kjech also provides such wonderful pieces as Kizana in tight pants with unnecessary detail and focus on her ass, and Muja wearing a tight sweater and getting jelly all over her chest. It makes it a lot harder to argue that the way each character is drawn is just coincidence, and not personal preference (be it the artists' or Dev's).

To be honest, I get the feeling that this is part of a larger problem within online/fandom circles... A lot of young fans about a decade ago were raised on ecchi shows and M-rated fanwork that centered around teenage characers, with criticism usually being silenced by accusing anyone who said "hey, that's weird" of being a prude. Because some fans were so young and impressionable and eager to prove they were "mature for their age", many of them took it as a sign it was normal to sexualize teenagers like that.

Now that generation has grown up and is in a position to create content themselves and influence other young fans. But times are changing, and in some ways it's for the best; I'm relieved that people are realizing they don't have to accept this as "normal" and can break the cycles instead. People around my age and Dev's age are at a crossroads where we need to look critically at ourselves and how we conduct ourselves online... and unfortunately, people like Dev and his artists have just doubled down.

And that's what it boils down to, I suppose. A refusal to learn from the past and try to improve from it.

HOLD UP! MULBERRY DREW EXPLICIT ART OF A HIGH SCHOOLER?! I thought all she did was trace and have bad anatomy. I honestly didn't think for a second that she would become Kjech and start sexualising minors. Has she done other drawings like the Kokona one too? I'm honestly so disappointed. Well, she works for YanDev, what did I expect? :alpacaworry2:

Posted

I'm so confused! How is this game made so that he always has to make an update for characters being protective of each other? Doesn't Raibaru have the same dynamic when it comes to Osana and hasn't that mechanic been in the game since late 2019? How is the game made that he couldn't do the same for Saki and Kokona when he already made it for Osana and Raibaru? Don't tell me he has to write a new code for each pair of characters? I literally can't. He should write one code that does the mechanic and then add the characters into it who are protecting each other.

I agree that the character is not portrayed in the right light because of everyone involved in the game being perverted about Kokona or seeing her like a sexual object or fanservice character. Since YanDev has the history of writing rapefics it's not surprising that they use her backstory for fanservice rather than as a plot device or in a sensitive way to make players feel sorry for Kokona or for actual character development. It's sad how nobody who is involved in the game can handle these topics. Good for YanDev that he stopped writing those creepy fics from back then but his way of thinking about rape does not have changed much. It really shows that rape is handled like a kink in this game.

I don't think Kokona having big boobs or her backstory is generally bad either. They just have to get a story writer on board who can actually handle these topics.

Now that generation has grown up and is in a position to create content themselves and influence other young fans. But times are changing, and in some ways it's for the best; I'm relieved that people are realizing they don't

have

to accept this as "normal" and can break the cycles instead. People around my age and Dev's age are at a crossroads where we need to look critically at ourselves and how we conduct ourselves online... and unfortunately, people like Dev and his artists have just doubled down.

This is why YanSim is honestly giving me outschool vibes. The way minors are sexualised in it like in oldschool ecchi anime is honestly disturbing especially since I feel like a majority of anime fans have moved past this mindset. Hentai artists nowadays started aging characters up and coming up with adult designs for already existing minor characters since a lot of communities don't allow the sexualisation of minors anymore and it makes people uncomfortable. You'll hardly find a platform that still allows it. In the newest anime I feel like generally they put more adult characters in that are puposefully sexualised, while minors seem to be spared from that fate. People in fandoms protest against adult x minor ships (which is basically also a thing in YanSim) and become more aware of the problem that normalisation of sexualisation of minors in anime is bad and was a bad trope that needs to die. Everyone seems to move on and get more mindful about it. And then there's Alex being a creep.

I thought Taro was his creepy self-insert.

Posted

Kokona is not a real girl with her own agency, nor is she based on or written by a person who's had those experiences. She's a character created entirely from one guy's imagination, and thus every trait about her is a deliberate choice.

Not that Alex can write characters without rehashing cliche, out-dated sterotypes and/or carbon-copying existing characters.

Even "Hiki Komori" isn't original. There's a character in Tokemeki Memorial, Girl's Side. He's a love interest/route, and his name is Taku Komori (as in otaku hikikomori). And, surprise surprise, his entire route is getting him to come out of his shell, stop living like a shut-in, and go back to school. 

(Plus I'm pretty sure multiple character's in Socio Sim are Alex's self-insert, if not his sex fantasy, if not they're cardboard cut-outs that move.)