• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

YandereDev/ Evaxephon General Thread

10227 posts in this topic

Posted

I thought he wanted to change the name because no one takes games with the word 'simulator' in the title seriously and that he didn't want his game to be grouped in with "meme games" like Goat Simulator.

As if anyone's gonna take a weeb fetish game seriously.

Posted

Honestly the only way Alex could salvage this game would be to sell it to a larger company, and even then, given his reputation and the dubious past with TinyBuild, he'd seriously have to clean up this game to make any other brand want to pick it up (i.e. no panty shots, no Yakuza (so no organ/sex-slave sales), no Furredu or Sukibi Dubidu, and no freaking easter eggs). There's no way at the pace he's going that he could ever incorporate everything. Even a dedicated coder or game dev couldn't do all this by themselves, let alone some pathetic man-child who abuses his fans, steals their money unapologetically and offers little to nothing in return, all while indulging his own wicked whims instead of working on the game he promised over half a decade ago.

(Still hoping for that other game, though--EpicMealDev at least looks like he's got his ish together.)

Posted

No larger company would take it, oversexualisation of teengaers and creepy panty shots aside, the fact that the game literally revolves around school children literally killing eachother would be enough for any company to kick his ass to the curb. I think it's a bit of a no-no in the gaming industry to allow players to kill children (even if the are "18"), no game company AAA or indie would ever want to deal with those sorts of controversies.

He would have to change the game's entire setting, character ages, etc  for larger companies to even THINK about taking his project on board and we all know how reluctant Yandev is when it comes to making any changes in his games. The game is doomed to be stuck in development forever.

Posted

I thought he wanted to change the name because no one takes games with the word 'simulator' in the title seriously and that he didn't want his game to be grouped in with "meme games" like Goat Simulator.

As if anyone's gonna take a weeb fetish game seriously.

Alex is the only person that takes yansim seriously. The few youtubers who still play it don't even take it seriously. 

Posted

No larger company would take it, oversexualisation of teengaers and creepy panty shots aside, the fact that the game literally revolves around school children literally killing eachother would be enough for any company to kick his ass to the curb. I think it's a bit of a no-no in the gaming industry to allow players to kill children (even if the are "18"), no game company AAA or indie would ever want to deal with those sorts of controversies.

He would have to change the game's entire setting, character ages, etc  for larger companies to even THINK about taking his project on board and we all know how reluctant Yandev is when it comes to making any changes in his games. The game is doomed to be stuck in development forever.

I mean, there are games where there's students killing each other, just thinking about Danganronpa.I don't think that is the problem. It's more because you/your character are killing students. YanSim gives more a feeling of school shooting, and as the game is made in the US, it's most likely this that will make them reluctant imo, not necessarly the fact that they are teenagers. Not excusing YandereDev, I just think that part about the characters being teenagers is a bit of a grey aera (only about the killing part tho, sexualizing minors is always wrong). It depends on how you bring it. For exemple, in Danganronpa, even if there is killing involved, it is still seen as something horrible to do, and there is a reason behind it. Your character works to stop the killing. As for YanSim, the goal is to eliminate others, just for the sake of eliminating them. Anyways that's my opinion, feel free to disagree ^_^

Posted (edited)

I agree with it too, for however much it's worth. And unfortunate as it is, DR also has its own problems with sexualizing its teenage characters: Mikan, Miu, the execution in NDRV3's second chapter, and the Argument Armaments, just to name the unavoidable scenes. Some fans do express discomfort with that, but obviously that doesn't actually change the fact that it happens and will keep happening.

I do think that had some things been different, YanSim could have filled out a similar niche, or better or worse. I can see how YanSim can be advertised specifically to fans of DR, or maybe to fans of series like Higurashi; YanSim doesn't dabble in murder mysteries or psychological horror, but I'm sure the superficial similarities can draw in some fans.

And maybe some publishers would feel the same way and try to get in on this deal too. But there are still some major issues that would scare off potential partners:

• As stated, the player of YanSim can directly kill teenagers, playing out each action, and as long as they aren't caught this will generally be a positive thing that fulfills the player's objectives. While there are pacifist options, albeit very manipulative ones, violence is still a major part of the game's themes and promotion. There are more ways to kill a teen than there are ways to non-violently interact with them. This also all shown directly on-screen in all its gory detail, aside from the "unknown" fates of classmates kidnapped by the Yakuza. ("Unknown" in quotes because Alex has stated several times what actually happens to them... but of course it won't be said in-game so that there's plausible deniability.)
  • More importantly, Alex himself is a liability. You have someone with a long history of behavior that at best is unprofessional. He cannot stick to a development schedule, he constantly adds new and trivial "easter eggs" and sidequests while ignoring core gameplay features, said easter eggs involve ripping off models and music from other IPs (to the point that some creators of said IPs have told him to knock it off), he spoils future plot developments before a beta of the game is even finished, and he burns bridges with publishers because he refuses to cooperate with its programmers. And that's before factoring in that he's a hostile person who publicly insults fans and critics alike, and has spearheaded harassment against specific people who've spoken out against him.

Had Alex sold the game off years ago before so much ill will built up, or had only a few red flags popped up instead of an entire room of them, he probably could have found some support, if not from the biggest names in gaming then at least from relatively smaller publishers that people recognize. But at this point Yandere Simulator is heavily tainted by his reputation, and I wouldn't be surprised if most reputable teams don't want that stink on them.

All that said, selling Yandere Simulator off to a more competent team would probably be for the best, if he really has lost interest in the game itself. But that would dry up the donation fountain, so he's probably gonna hold onto the game until the very last second, even if it means going down with the ship.

Edited by Wiegenlied

Posted (edited)

I mean, there are games where there's students killing each other, just thinking about Danganronpa.I don't think that is the problem. It's more because you/your character are killing students. YanSim gives more a feeling of school shooting, and as the game is made in the US, it's most likely this that will make them reluctant imo, not necessarly the fact that they are teenagers. Not excusing YandereDev, I just think that part about the characters being teenagers is a bit of a grey aera (only about the killing part tho, sexualizing minors is always wrong). It depends on how you bring it. For exemple, in Danganronpa, even if there is killing involved, it is still seen as something horrible to do, and there is a reason behind it. Your character works to stop the killing. As for YanSim, the goal is to eliminate others, just for the sake of eliminating them. Anyways that's my opinion, feel free to disagree ^_^

That's exactly what I'm getting at, the game feels like a school shooter sim because the objective is to kill students at school yeah, there is a pacifist mode but the as what @Wiegenleid said, violence is still a major theme of the game, if it wasn't set in a school and wasn't filled with crappy """easter eggs""" and rapey themes then I think the game would have stood a slight chance, he should have sold the game off as soon as he started IMO.

Bit OT

I've never played it but isn't Danganronpa a Japanese game? I feel like Japanese games and western games are held to different standards, Japanese games like senran kagura and dead or alive,  Persona,etc  get away with far more  especially when it comes to sexualisation (fuck those pantyshots yandev)  Just because something flies in Japan doesn't mean it works in the west too, it's more of a culture thing.

A lot of western games like Skyrim and Fable won't allow the player to kill children even though there aren't any teenagers in the game, even the game Bully which revolves around teenagers won't allow the player to kill anyone. Lol maybe I'm reaching :alpacawink: but I honestly cannot think of any modern western game that allows the player to kill kids? I'm not talking about kids just dying either, like in DDLC or what you mentioned in Danganronpa. 

IDK maybe I'm talking out of my ass.

Edited by Sparklefist

Posted

That's exactly what I'm getting at, the game feels like a school shooter sim because the objective is to kill students at school yeah, there is a pacifist mode but the as what @Wiegenleid said, violence is still a major theme of the game, if it wasn't set in a school and wasn't filled with crappy """easter eggs""" and rapey themes then I think the game would have stood a slight chance, he should have sold the game off as soon as he started IMO.

Hidden Content

Dangan Ronpa is a Japanese game. It's not the first to have murdering your teenage friends/classmates, but it's the most popular in both the west and Japan. 

Tbh the one game that comes to mind is Bioshock with the Little Sisters. In game you have the option of harvesting them for your benefit or sparing them, but from what I've seen online the general consensus is that players feel morally wrong killing them. The other thing that comes to mind that isn't game related is the Hunger Games series, where we see plenty of teenagers and kids murder each other. I can't think of any other game that gives you the option to kill kids, but it's already looked down upon enough so I don't think that any game developer in this day and age would want to incorporate that into their games and get extreme backlash for it.

Honestly the game could have had a chance if it was made as just a "romance your crush in a time limit" using entirely nonviolent methods, but he makes it so easy to just kill everybody who's an inconvenience and then get away with it with no punishments. Imo, the concept of the game was good at the time when he pitched it, but it's aged like milk by today's standards, the game would probably be panned as giving people a violent fantasy that may fuel them to commit crime. 

If only there were ways for your character to be able to slowly build the LI's affection through little things like making them lunch or writing letters (this is where the clubs would actually serve a purpose in game that isn't 'build your strength to murder more people), then when the time limit was up for the rival to confess the LI would just say "nope I'm not interested" because you raised more affection than the rival did. And then nobody would have to die, get kidnapped, mind broken or accused of murder. The problem is Alex based the game entirely on anime tropes and never left that comfort zone, which is why all of the characters are one note and obviously "anime". Then he started to load it with memes to keep the game relevant when it's popularity was dying out, now all he does is spend his days bitching about debugging the clusterfuck that his sandbox demo has become. 

He wanted to be a famous one-man game dev so bad, he took on a project he knew fuck all about, now he's the laughing stock of the entire internet.

Posted (edited)

As for games like for example Danganronpa there is still the task of finding the murderer, aka there is the message coming across that murdering is wrong and that the person who committed the murder will pay for it (by getting executed themselves tho, which might not be the best way to prove the point, but when I play the games I still don't think the message 'killing is fine' comes across. It's also portrayed in a gruesome way, with shock value most of the time. It's supposed to make the player feel guilt, fear or even disgust.) There are scenes in Yansim that shall be sexy or praise Ayano for going on a murder spree. Ayano never really faces consequences since game over screens are supposed to be avoided and the ideal ending of the game is to make Ayano eliminate everyone and succeed. It would be the same as playing DR from Junko's perspective and having her being praised for for killing all the others and succeeding with her 'twisted world' at the end of the game, without facing consequences. (and yes Junko does get praised by the narrative. She is a smart and good-looking character. But she still fails in the end and the game never brings across that Junko's way would be right or good.) Not to mention the lowkey sexual murder methods that Alex wants to include that seem to be for the player's enjoyment. I honestly think if Alex would add an element that would make the player feel guilt for their actions or make them want to go for a peaceful route (alternate methods to make the rivals stay away from senpai, and only go for killing out of desperation if nothing else works) it might be an overall more complex and interesting game.

I honestly would love if the game would give us more options than just killing. They could make it that Ayano actually spirals into insanity and that killing the final rival is her personal downfall, while she finds methods for the rivals inbefore that become more and more violent. I would also say he should focus on making the plot of each rival's week really smooth instead of thinking of thousands ways to play the game. It would be fine to have the choice between 5 'elimination' methods for each rival, then having to figure out which works through trial and error (there could also be a rival that only gives us information on how to eliminate/make them lose interest in senpai after we failed at least once). He should really focus on making that an interesting and funny experience for the player, rather than just giving us 100 methods to somehow somewhen kill the rival and move on to the next.

Edited by CosplayQueen

Posted

Hidden Content

I honestly would love if the game would give us more options than just killing. They could make it that Ayano actually spirals into insanity and that killing the final rival is her personal downfall, while she finds methods for the rivals inbefore that become more and more violent. I would also say he should focus on making the plot of each rival's week really smooth instead of thinking of thousands ways to play the game. It would be fine to have the choice between 5 'elimination' methods for each rival, then having to figure out which works through trial and error (there could also be a rival that only gives us information on how to eliminate/make them lose interest in senpai after we failed at least once). He should really focus on making that an interesting and funny experience for the player, rather than just giving us 100 methods to somehow somewhen kill the rival and move on to the next.

a strategic game would be so cool, multiple endings depending on your methods

Posted

a strategic game would be so cool, multiple endings depending on your methods

I would honestly want multiple endings rather than the stupid rubberband plot differences that all lead to the same true ending anyway. Give the players a reward for playing the game either completely by befriending all rivals, killing all rivals, or some hidden stuff (but that won't happen because he teases EVERYTHING)

Posted

I agree with it too, for however much it's worth. And unfortunate as it is, DR also has its own problems with sexualizing its teenage characters: Mikan, Miu, the execution in NDRV3's second chapter, and the Argument Armaments, just to name the unavoidable scenes. Some fans do express discomfort with that, but obviously that doesn't actually change the fact that it happens and will keep happening.

I do think that had some things been different, YanSim could have filled out a similar niche, or better or worse. I can see how YanSim can be advertised specifically to fans of DR, or maybe to fans of series like Higurashi; YanSim doesn't dabble in murder mysteries or psychological horror, but I'm sure the superficial similarities can draw in some fans.

And maybe some publishers would feel the same way and try to get in on this deal too. But there are still some major issues that would scare off potential partners:

• As stated, the player of YanSim can directly kill teenagers, playing out each action, and as long as they aren't caught this will generally be a positive thing that fulfills the player's objectives. While there are pacifist options, albeit very manipulative ones, violence is still a major part of the game's themes and promotion. There are more ways to kill a teen than there are ways to non-violently interact with them. This also all shown directly on-screen in all its gory detail, aside from the "unknown" fates of classmates kidnapped by the Yakuza. ("Unknown" in quotes because Alex has stated several times what actually happens to them... but of course it won't be said in-game so that there's plausible deniability.)
  • More importantly, Alex himself is a liability. You have someone with a long history of behavior that at best is unprofessional. He cannot stick to a development schedule, he constantly adds new and trivial "easter eggs" and sidequests while ignoring core gameplay features, said easter eggs involve ripping off models and music from other IPs (to the point that some creators of said IPs have told him to knock it off), he spoils future plot developments before a beta of the game is even finished, and he burns bridges with publishers because he refuses to cooperate with its programmers. And that's before factoring in that he's a hostile person who publicly insults fans and critics alike, and has spearheaded harassment against specific people who've spoken out against him.

Had Alex sold the game off years ago before so much ill will built up, or had only a few red flags popped up instead of an entire room of them, he probably could have found some support, if not from the biggest names in gaming then at least from relatively smaller publishers that people recognize. But at this point Yandere Simulator is heavily tainted by his reputation, and I wouldn't be surprised if most reputable teams don't want that stink on them.

All that said, selling Yandere Simulator off to a more competent team would probably be for the best, if he really has lost interest in the game itself. But that would dry up the donation fountain, so he's probably gonna hold onto the game until the very last second, even if it means going down with the ship.

Hidden Content

As for games like for example Danganronpa there is still the task of finding the murderer, aka there is the message coming across that murdering is wrong and that the person who committed the murder will pay for it (by getting executed themselves tho, which might not be the best way to prove the point, but when I play the games I still don't think the message 'killing is fine' comes across. It's also portrayed in a gruesome way, with shock value most of the time. It's supposed to make the player feel guilt, fear or even disgust.) There are scenes in Yansim that shall be sexy or praise Ayano for going on a murder spree. Ayano never really faces consequences since game over screens are supposed to be avoided and the ideal ending of the game is to make Ayano eliminate everyone and succeed. It would be the same as playing DR from Junko's perspective and having her being praised for for killing all the others and succeeding with her 'twisted world' at the end of the game, without facing consequences. (and yes Junko does get praised by the narrative. She is a smart and good-looking character. But she still fails in the end and the game never brings across that Junko's way would be right or good.) Not to mention the lowkey sexual murder methods that Alex wants to include that seem to be for the player's enjoyment. I honestly think if Alex would add an element that would make the player feel guilt for their actions or make them want to go for a peaceful route (alternate methods to make the rivals stay away from senpai, and only go for killing out of desperation if nothing else works) it might be an overall more complex and interesting game.

I agree with all of you! My point was mostly that, it isn't the fact that the characters are teenagers that is the problem, it's how he uses them. I think i just expressed myself badly, sorry about that. 

Posted

I would honestly want multiple endings rather than the stupid rubberband plot differences that all lead to the same true ending anyway. Give the players a reward for playing the game either completely by befriending all rivals, killing all rivals, or some hidden stuff (but that won't happen because he teases EVERYTHING)

Yeah, I had somehow the idea of either killing everyone or manipulating everyone and include Ayano's dad as a main character. He either grows scared of her for being exactly as his wife (ruthless killer), or is happy to see phew, she's a good girl with a nice bf (ya thought, she manipulated everyone sksk)

Posted

I mean, in regards to every comment talking about the violence aspect--yes, as of right now it feels school-shooter-y, though I wonder if that relates more to our more widespread knowledge (and the increased frequency) of school shootings in the U.S. Would it have that same connotation to someone in another country w/ less experience, I can't say, though I'd imagine it'd be a little less tainted by the lack of experience with school shootings.

Also, going off what Alex said the game was supposed to be (rather than what it's become), there were supposed to be significant drawbacks to choosing violence/murder. I mean, in theory, if you befriended each one of your rivals, you could get through the game without resorting to murder or violence whatsoever. The manipulation route was more of a neutral option (get your rival expelled or ruin their reputation, so while your hands aren't quite as dirty, you aren't innocent, either). Also, while I can't remember where or what post Alex said it in, I recall him saying that resorting to murder every single time could still end you with a bad ending, thus discouraging the player from going ham on high schoolers.

Idk. I just don't think it's accurate to say that the violence of the game, or the idea of murder, would necessarily be the reason YanSim couldn't be picked up. Given its reputation now, and Alex's, yes it's virtually impossible, plus the sexualization and other horrific themes. However, given that yandere's are somewhat popular, having a game where you can play as a yandere, and choose whether to go in sweet and harmless or violent and sadistic, could have been a success. I just think Alex has tainted the idea. 

Posted (edited)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDEo3FjusTo

New update video,  he's added in the street feature and some shops,not sure if it's just me but the cashier portrait looks really familliar. Hope none of the assests are stolen, the Yakuza guy is in the game now but I'm not sure if he does anything yet. Osana isn't done yet.

Edited by Sparklefist