• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Texan In Tokyo

1222 posts in this topic

Posted

Since they were getting a lot of discussion in the Jvloggers thread I thought it I would make a seperate thread for them. 

Texan in Tokyo are a Jvloggers couple, Grace is a writer who posts comics on her online blog and Ryosuke formerly worked at a Japanese company but quit to do youtube full time with Grace. When they first started their youtube channel they lived in Tokyo but after Ryosuke quit his Job they moves to the country since it's cheaper than the city.

Blog

Facebook 

Twitter 

YouTube.

---

Summary by RosieRose (on page 29 of this thread)

Grace Mineta

Grace Bachele Minete 

Known for her "Texan in Tokyo" YouTube, along with her writing blog (spammed in many particular websites) is now a 23 year old freelancer, married to a husband, Ryosuke, who is 27 (as of 2016). She also sells a comic about her life in Japan of questionable quality, along selling poop hats of similar questionable quality. She used to be a teacher but not anymore due to not handling the stressful Tokyo city life well, so she and her husband moved to a small country side area where they can freelance and sell her comic.

Why she deserves to be here ? 

1. her lazy ass "art" work, from which she claims to be an "artist" yet she knows that her art is "bad" but is still sticking up to it . People continually advise her to improve, yet she couldn't care any less nor be bothered, since its something "Free"  to read online and she doesn't take it seriously. However, she has previously shown skill with her art, drawing manga-styled characters and doing some decent colouring with promarkers . 

Things she used to draw years ago : 

here_in_your_arms_by_harbitt.jpg.d4ae873

light_vs__evil_by_harbitt.jpg.f0204bfa70

fairy_tales_come_true_by_harbitt.jpg.bb5

dance_dance__by_harbitt.jpg.2a5827ca8f99

What she draws now - notice the bad editing / colouring / hands / composition / wiggly lines / missing stuff that she doesn't bother fixing:

543.thumb.png.126172766ce6827077bb833536

2. Known for a webtoon Contest that she signed up for, and asked her fans to promote/ support her in order for her to win, then when she lost she whined about it to her fan base, who subsequently attacked webtoon in order to make her the winner. She even made a video about it that she later deleted (for obvious reasons so that no one will know about her actions; this is behaviour that keeps reappearing, see below) and she also begged her fans to vote for her, but after a very long time she gives up updating anymore in webtoon.

6fds.png.f89372f802404442b9cdca05842a35b

6fds.png.5176850d01a0a27629ce747d3449182

6fds.png.1efb2387ddf9ee2daf5645daaff152f

432dsa.png.2c933c75ff2fd8f4f290abc48a8c4

543.png.330dd372fe2ba34ea09d5d38a371973b

3. Has an attitude of blocking people / throwing friendships away / getting whiny over people who look down on her for being a YouTuber, to the point where she writes it in her blog or makes a video about it.

it's even questionable that she is the reason why she closed the comment section in her blog

54jjgta.thumb.png.8787b4f68aab527fa0740f

2dsa.thumb.png.5fa94dcde098740b553d5c3d5

from this website the image : http://howibecametexan.com/2015/10/31/actually-youtube-is-a-real-job-the-struggle-of-working-as-a-content-creatorcreative/.

543ease3.png.5a3fad3add9b2c1c9d5ff202c0d

654gds.png.c56094f806bdb94478b74f417d9aa

543fsf.png.54dfba89864a44f7cec35deb54c30

She talked about it in this video:

4. Has a habit of hiding things and deleting things that she "regrets" , such as the things she wrote in her blog, and many videos she made were deleted, e.g. the weebtoon saga or her online chat

They made a live event which was made from their kickstarter which people payed to take part in. Later after the live ended Grace uploaded the live, which I found was in private but she ultimately deleted it: 

543.thumb.png.ba804540851a65c6090609777f

There are videos were found in her patreon - if you scroll down you will see she's updating videos news yet you can't watch them.

5. had a weeaboo fetish back in her teenage age for anime, yet she hides that fact by acting all "i dont like cute stuff", when she used to wear cute skirts and fashionable things the link here: http://imgur.com/a/SWY95 ( you will notice she had friends there which we can not see anymore )

6. she has enough money to buy a house yet she acts like some poor country girls working her ass off through a comic book : http://imgur.com/a/V0uS0 

7. used to self promote everywhere even pretended it isn't who she is (basically sock puppeting): http://imgur.com/a/ldXCI 

image.png.2425c93ee95c20ba354af7d3626356

screenshootTNT.jpg

fxxOy8b.png

8. Has an arrogant/ egoistical attitude with this whole white-ness and her christian religion:

olcNc2Z.png

ED: (redbowkiki) "He just isn't really capable of believing in any God." - so nice of her to put her husband's lack of religion down to inability to comprehend/ accept a religion rather than a lifestyle choice.

1459150235783.jpg

432darfqw.png.c84b072728aa70da70a167f355

KDq6nax.png

ED: (redbowkiki) "Japan isn't keen on religion." Except, you know, Shinto and Buddhism?

9.prices of her products are questionable, she keeps playing with the numbers such as selling the poop hat with the PDF which costed 25 $ (the PDF is 5$ now in shop). Even sold her own book for 25$ with her signature on Etsy website.

amazoncap.jpg.2c6535f9e7002334b142b55214

y1GYtwS.png

ED: (redbowkiki) the prices here are in HKD, but the Poop hat essentially costs USD 20/ £16. They bought the hat itself from some shop and then just stuck eyes and a mouth on it.

10 . her online posting: http://imgur.com/a/X1e2t 

11. the way she treated us in the end in our thread, neglecting to point out : http://imgur.com/a/H4Oex 

12. keeps doing a funding when clearly she has enough money for a house, and then deletes some of the evidence.

her honeymoon :

2dsa.thumb.png.c1c64edeb21282f7d5fbd38bb

her first Comic : 

https://ksr-video.imgix.net/projects/1064138/video-418345-h264_high.mp4   (video )

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/texanintokyo/my-japanese-husband-thinks-im-crazy-the-comic-book

her third comic : 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/texanintokyo/my-life-in-japan-the-comic-book/posts/1542831?lang=de 

she even crowd funded her abroad studying but failed (its in the thread but i lost the image...)

she is also planning to crowd fund again in kickstarter in August.

but didnt do the second one by saying this 543ease3.thumb.png.20f0c3965425d8813de49

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This list is incomplete, it's in process of editing and adding more stuff, if you guys think there is something missing or needs to be fixed in this post let me know, thank you for the hard work. :alpacacrush:

Posted

I'm suprised to hear YT is their fulltime job...I only watched a few videos but they don't seem really professional. I can't imagine YT can pay their bills. And Grace comics are not really good either. The topics she chooses seem really boring.

Posted

i didnt noticed this threat just until now lol 

@All Over The World  i think i will keep  talking in here and i was just watching one of her videos called "  Q & A with TNT " video and apparently they asked her if she will return to teach english if i am not mistaken and she indeed admits that her formal japanese is bad and doesnt want to work inside an office anymore " i dont play with others that arent ryouske "  even my japanese teacher fixes my japanese especially when i write down a conversation in japan she would tell me when someone talks to you in formal way you must speak formal ofc she has friends but i wonder if she ever managed to make japanese friends from this . 

for the patreon subject i kind of didnt noticed it until i searched it up and i found out she isnt the only one receiving some money i mean even Gimmieabreakman + Rachel and jun too but yes the differences between them is that TNT wanted it for the Rent Fee and yes i did noticed only about 2.200 people donated for her Kickstarter .

Posted

Personally, I think TNT's videos are very boring since it's pure talking and not much sightseeing unlike other vloggers. Her comics look very mediocre at best compared to other art I've seen and I have many artist friends who could produce doodles much better. Not only that but her art style has not improved very much over the years. 

She also charged roughly 25 dollars recently for a signed copy of her comics and in addition Ryosuke made a bunch of poop hats as an added bonus but I think 25 dollars for a signed copy is a bit overpriced (or maybe I'm just cheap) but I don't think that moving to Japan and working on Youtube as a full time job unless you are extremely successful (i.e. pewdiepie.) is well...you know very resourceful.I kinda feel like their income mainly comes from fans but thats just my two cents.

Posted

true it was in their Etsy website if i am not mistaken , i dont trust Etsy i mean a lot of the stuff are made by Designers hand made and Etsy is like first self promoting to them so no wonder the stuff there selling is expensive ( but yes there is always cheap ones too ) . but despite that her selling in amazon is still cheaper but the Etsy she stopped selling their apparently . 

but about Grace i think she is now confirming herself that she is indeed " comic artist " according to her blog :

http://howibecametexan.com/2015/12/21/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-blogger-and-comic-artist-in-japan/

like literally the title and the entire day there isnt much talk about her process in drawing its more like  "  i will draw when i feel like it " .

despite that being said , she started to post her comic on Tapastic which is yet again another website where comic/manga artists try to promote themselves : https://tapastic.com/series/My-Life-in-Japan

which i have nothing against , but i can still notice that she still hasnt improved in anything particularly ... each a week she posts something new but really how long again it takes to draw one page of a comic ? . 

Posted

With her style it shouldn't actually take very long at all - and since all she does is just line art and a few clicks of paint bucket to colour them in...I think it was mentioned at the previous general thread she probably averages about 2 hours a day drawing her comics? 

She'll definitely run out of topics soon too. One of her recent comics was about her karaoke outing with friends (Amanda, Kemushi-chan...Sharla? I don't remember) which happened a day or two before she posted her comic. 

While I did find her things interesting to read previously it's all going downhill....

She posted this haul video of the clothes she got from the thrift store in Japan saying how cute the sweaters were etc how she shops a lot in the men's section all the while in shorts and I couldn't help but think that wait...is this the same person who had a "breakdown" over not find clothes? Obviously it is easier to find tops than jeans/bottoms but really now Grace. Don't contradict yourself. :/ 

I did consider buying her new comic book to support her but decided it was too expensive and I would rather spend that money elsewhere. And since she didn't need anymore money (woah $60,000!!?!!?) it's not like she would miss my $25. 

On those Poop Hats, they uploaded a video of Ryosuke making it and I was quite excited to see what it was like. It was only him pasting eyes and mouths cut out of felt on "poop hat" bases. That made me very, very disappointed. So all they did was buy a bunch of poop bases in bulk and PASTE FELT ON IT? "Handmade by Ryosuke"? Bleh, that was such a let down. 

Posted

They also have a patreon that brings in about $800 monthly apparently and they did a kickstarter that got somewhere around $60,000 apparently (all from only about 2,000 fans).

hooooooow? 

what

Posted

hooooooow? 

what

This is their kickstarter for her latest comic book: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/texanintokyo/my-life-in-japan-the-comic-book 
It raised $73,694 of their $4,500 goal and she got pretty much 100% funded under THREE HOURS. 

Their Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/TexaninTokyo?ty=h 

Patreon isn't a new thing, other creators do it too but usually in order to not have to work full time and devote more time to making videos. Which doesn't really apply to TNT since they are both freelance now. It does contribute to their rent and living costs, though. 

Posted (edited)

With her style it shouldn't actually take very long at all - and since all she does is just line art and a few clicks of paint bucket to colour them in...I think it was mentioned at the previous general thread she probably averages about 2 hours a day drawing her comics? 

She'll definitely run out of topics soon too. One of her recent comics was about her karaoke outing with friends (Amanda, Kemushi-chan...Sharla? I don't remember) which happened a day or two before she posted her comic. 

While I did find her things interesting to read previously it's all going downhill....

She posted this haul video of the clothes she got from the thrift store in Japan saying how cute the sweaters were etc how she shops a lot in the men's section all the while in shorts and I couldn't help but think that wait...is this the same person who had a "breakdown" over not find clothes? Obviously it is easier to find tops than jeans/bottoms but really now Grace. Don't contradict yourself. :/ 

I did consider buying her new comic book to support her but decided it was too expensive and I would rather spend that money elsewhere. And since she didn't need anymore money (woah $60,000!!?!!?) it's not like she would miss my $25. 

On those Poop Hats, they uploaded a video of Ryosuke making it and I was quite excited to see what it was like. It was only him pasting eyes and mouths cut out of felt on "poop hat" bases. That made me very, very disappointed. So all they did was buy a bunch of poop bases in bulk and PASTE FELT ON IT? "Handmade by Ryosuke"? Bleh, that was such a let down. 

She once had a blog post a couple months ago where she said she is running out of stuff to say.  I personally think she probably never had a lot to say.  

And I just noticed that on her twitter today she asked people to suggest video ideas to her.  

One of her commenters suggested she get a job so she'd have more to talk about and she gave a *shrug* and responded "work... meh".  

Thank you on the poop hats! Thing.  Thank you!  I felt the same way.  I had this image of him sewing together the fabric and stuffing it.   It was just him complaining about pasting on eyes and mouth onto preassembled poop hats and I was 
like... what?  That's it?  

They wrote "Handmade by Ryosuke"?  I missed that part.  Wow.... just wow. 

Edited by All Over The World

Posted

true it was in their Etsy website if i am not mistaken , i dont trust Etsy i mean a lot of the stuff are made by Designers hand made and Etsy is like first self promoting to them so no wonder the stuff there selling is expensive ( but yes there is always cheap ones too ) . but despite that her selling in amazon is still cheaper but the Etsy she stopped selling their apparently . 

but about Grace i think she is now confirming herself that she is indeed " comic artist " according to her blog :

http://howibecametexan.com/2015/12/21/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-blogger-and-comic-artist-in-japan/

like literally the title and the entire day there isnt much talk about her process in drawing its more like  "  i will draw when i feel like it " .

despite that being said , she started to post her comic on Tapastic which is yet again another website where comic/manga artists try to promote themselves : https://tapastic.com/series/My-Life-in-Japan

which i have nothing against , but i can still notice that she still hasnt improved in anything particularly ... each a week she posts something new but really how long again it takes to draw one page of a comic ? . 

I don't know anything else to add to this ^^.  You summed it up so well.  

Posted (edited)

This is their kickstarter for her latest comic book: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/texanintokyo/my-life-in-japan-the-comic-book 
It raised $73,694 of their $4,500 goal and she got pretty much 100% funded under THREE HOURS. 

Their Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/TexaninTokyo?ty=h 

Patreon isn't a new thing, other creators do it too but usually in order to not have to work full time and devote more time to making videos. Which doesn't really apply to TNT since they are both freelance now. It does contribute to their rent and living costs, though. 

How is that even possible? Even Micaela's fundraiser that was for Kumamoto, shared by literally all of the Jvloggers, took longer than that to hit the $5,000 goal (and it stopped at 37,220)

It seems odd... like... she doesn't even seem surprised at $45,000? just like "Oh wow! We got funded 1000% cool heres updates and there's six days left so I can't wait to see what happens!" (aka I can't wait to see how much more money I'll get?????)

and in another 6 days they recieved another $30,000?

I want to believe like they have their family or something putting into that because their content is no where near that good lmao

Edited by cottoncandy

Posted

Thank you on the poop hats! Thing.  Thank you!  I felt the same way.  I had this image of him sewing together the fabric and stuffing it.   It was just him complaining about pasting on eyes and mouth onto preassembled poop hats and I was like... what?  That's it?  

They wrote "Handmade by Ryosuke"?  I missed that part.  Wow.... just wow.

from their Kickstarter page: "Poop Hat Special. Hand-made poop hat from Ryosuke + PDF of "My Life in Japan" ---- FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE." 

Handmade poop hat to me = Ryosuke makes it all from scratch but that obviously isn't the case haha. 

Sorry for weird formatting, I'm on my phone. 

Posted

i have seen their poop hat video about it while i was watching they said something about " buying the poop hat from 1 dollar store or DIY " 

so yes it was just sticking the eyes and the eyebrows and tada you get you a a poop hate decorated with cheap stuff and sold for 15 dollars if i am not mistaken ? i kinda forgot the prices but it was above 10 dollar for sure .

Posted (edited)

@RosieRose yeah the poop hat tiers start at $25 that includes the PDF which means you're basically paying at least $20 for something that probably takes $3 to make....

It's possible Grace posted her kickstarter at an opportune time eg say US time instead of Japan time if most of her fans are in the US. So they'd see it and rush to buy stuff in the tiers. Plus I think she got a video or something else up about it before Micaela did for her fundraising. It could just be timing and more publicity eg being put on the kickstarter front page (not sure if they were) and her followers spreading the word or just spending large amounts. 

Many of the backers paid $50 and over to back her. It only takes 90 people paying $50 each to reach the $4,500 goal so it's not exactly too much of a stretch. Especially since it'd seem like a good deal to drop $75 and get all books physically and digitally + signed + free delivery. 

However, I think people give less for fundraisers? Like you feel less compelled to spend that exact amount on a donation. While Micaela did have some "reward" tiers as well, I think in general she didn't push people as much to desperately send her the funding because it's not like her rent or livelihood depended on it, but is was more to call on the generosity of people to help relief efforts. 

Edit: tried but couldn't figure out how to mention another user....

Edited by chuutohanpa