• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Veganism

79 posts in this topic

Posted

hi everyone ! :alpacacrush:

i haven't seen a thread about it on here so i thought i'd start one to see if any other pull users are vegan or thinking of becoming vegan.

I myself am only transitioning currently, but for the past few months I have been informing myself and watching a lot of different youtubers. i'm ready to make the change and i have already started substituting my milk and cutting out every meat but fish. though it may be a bit tricky, im excited to find vegan alternatives to things like yogurt and cheese, and to find yummy recipes.

feel free to share your story, some tips, or even some favorite recipes ! 

Posted

hi everyone ! :alpacacrush:

i haven't seen a thread about it on here so i thought i'd start one to see if any other pull users are vegan or thinking of becoming vegan.

Hidden Content

feel free to share your story, some tips, or even some favorite recipes ! 

Hello! I too am vegan/going vegan! I guess your diet really depends on if you want to be healthy or just be overall vegan 'cause like the other day I had these really salty, unhealthy vegan chips but hey they're vegan amirite :D For me It's been hard because the people I live with aren't vegan and I have gone a few days eating the same exact thing because nothing else was vegan I should really buy my own groceries  however even if I do eat the same thing I feel great knowing nobody had to die for it. 

Like all of the recipes

Vegan mayonnaise, vegan cheese, vegan dressings

Dessert

Is It Vegan?

Posted

I've been seriously considering it again. I have Type 1 Diabetes, and my body is incredibly selective on what it wants me to eat. No beans, no rice, no bread, no milk, no cheese, no noodles, and especially no fast food. All of which make me bloated, nauseous, and give me diarrhea. I started trying to go vegan (or well mostly a plant-based diet) for like a week and I actually felt really good, but I gave up because everyone in my family (they're all overweight) kept eating junk around me and then went on about how I was too skinny. I haven't been taking very good care of my blood sugar or my health, I'm always fatigued, nauseous, and grumpy (doesn't help that I can't get my blood sugar out of the 300-500 range which is BAD), and I've gained a few pounds. So I really just want to do this for my over all health. I'm still a little confused as to what is actually vegan and what isn't and I'm sort of stupid when it comes to looking stuff up about it, so help is greatly appreciated. :lamaheadshake:

Posted

I hope this is open for discussion even for non-vegans who are interested in the vegan diet. :lamasad: I'm a flexitarian slowly transitioning into vegetarian. I started off limiting my intake of meat, then cut out red meat, now I rarely eat chicken and stick to mostly seafood for meat. I began this mostly as a diet/weight thing but these days I am also concerned about the impact meat-consumption has on the planet. Today we are all eating way too much meat in our diets that's bad for health and environment. 

I'm not sure how I feel about going fully vegan myself but I substitute dairy at any given chance. :alpacawink:

Posted (edited)

I've been seriously considering it again. I have Type 1 Diabetes, and my body is incredibly selective on what it wants me to eat. No beans, no rice, no bread, no milk, no cheese, no noodles, and especially no fast food. All of which make me bloated, nauseous, and give me diarrhea. I started trying to go vegan (or well mostly a plant-based diet) for like a week and I actually felt really good, but I gave up because everyone in my family (they're all overweight) kept eating junk around me and then went on about how I was too skinny. I haven't been taking very good care of my blood sugar or my health, I'm always fatigued, nauseous, and grumpy (doesn't help that I can't get my blood sugar out of the 300-500 range which is BAD), and I've gained a few pounds. So I really just want to do this for my over all health. I'm still a little confused as to what is actually vegan and what isn't and I'm sort of stupid when it comes to looking stuff up about it, so help is greatly appreciated. :lamaheadshake:

Can you have your own mini-fridge so you can have your own food?  

Sometimes family can be our worse saboteurs.  

Edited by All Over The World

Posted (edited)

Hi guys! I was vegan for most of my teen years (over 5 years now) and now I am a vegetarian. At first I did not pay attention the the certain nutrients I needed such as vitamin B12. I researched how much of certain nutrients you need, but I learned from experience that you should always have  little more nutrients than you need especially if you are growing. I bought the "Everything Vegan" by Vegetarian times, and I still use it even though I'm not vegan anymore. Most of the time I would just make home-made protein bars and I would also eat raw fruits and veggies. One recipe you should try out are some chickpea burgers and avocado toast (which is super simple and tastes delicious). The fake meat in stores cost quite a bit so I would only get one packet of it (such as the Gardein). Broccoli, Cauliflower, Spinach, Carrots, Asparagus, and Potatoes were the vegetables I mostly ate when I was vegan  and still now. Any citrus fruit such as lemon, pineapple, and oranges will help detox your body while you're transitioning so you don't start to smell weird or anything. Another hard thing to do while I was vegan was to get rid of all my animal products (honey, wool knit sweater, leather boots, makeup):alpacaworry2:. If you want to find new clothes, I would go to vintage stores, or buy from small companies that are sweat-shop free. A good place online would be Depop and you can also find some cute clothes on Vegan Etsy Shops! Good luck!:D

Sorry if this post is annoying guys.

Edited by n.b.dy

Posted

I was a vegetarian for 11 years and I kind of miss it. Unfortunately your age catches up to you and no amount of vitamins or beans will keep your fingernails from breaking in half(literally) or avoid fatigue. I never made it as a full vegan due to constantly living with people who were non-vegans, but I wish I had. Just make sure y'all are taking care of yourselves now before you get too old for things like vitamins to work. 

(I still have to take prenatal vitamins because I'm still slightly anemic... :<)

Posted (edited)

Edited by fiend

Posted

Hello! I too am vegan/going vegan! I guess your diet really depends on if you want to be healthy or just be overall vegan 'cause like the other day I had these really salty, unhealthy vegan chips but hey they're vegan amirite :D For me It's been hard because the people I live with aren't vegan and I have gone a few days eating the same exact thing because nothing else was vegan I should really buy my own groceries  however even if I do eat the same thing I feel great knowing nobody had to die for it. 

Like all of the recipes

Vegan mayonnaise, vegan cheese, vegan dressings

Dessert

Is It Vegan?

I hope I may post here too even as commited omnivore.^^
I just have a lot of questions that arose in my head over the past few weeks, since veganism has become kind of a trend thing going on especially on youtube.

For example a question about Mary Sues statement, that "nobody had to die for it", why do Vegans don't drink milk? They don't kill cows for it.
And when it comes to not only food, what's about wool? :Alpacaconfused:

This is not meant as a provocation or anything I am just wondering and I hope someone can answer me :lamaheadshake:

Posted (edited)

Edited by fiend

Posted

I know about this, but why stop eating meat at all when you could support companies or farms who treat animals good/better? This is what I made my family do, it's much more expensive, but many people are not willing to spend more money on animal products so animals are treated better,unfortunately... :alpacaworry2:

I see where the "no-milk-thing" comes from though.
Thanks for your answer! :)

Posted (edited)

Edited by fiend

Posted

I don't know. I prefer supporting animals' laws as well and I'm a vegeterian, not vegan. I mean we have to remember that chickens and cows won't survive on their own so perhaps we can provide them nice lives where we take care of them and in return get eggs and milk! c:

As far as I know products marked as 'eco' are from companies that treat animals the best so it's worth remembering.

Yes, usually they're labeled "free-range", which means the animal roams around pastures and isn't confined. For those who are flexitarians or interested in going more meat-friendly while thinking on things, there's also free-range meat sold in most stores. :lamasad:

Posted (edited)

you could always raise your own chickens. It's more work but I've had my friends eggs and they're actually pretty awesome. It's gotten pretty big in California to own chickens so you can get babies anywhere around here. Of course the chicks require a lot of attention and care, but in the long run you know where your eggs are coming from, you know?

I'd also look into friendly dairy farms as well. They're not common nowadays, but hopefully with a lot of support they can be.

Edited by T.O.P

Posted

you could always raise your own chickens. It's more work but I've had my friends eggs and they're actually pretty awesome. It's gotten pretty big in California to own chickens so you can get babies anywhere around here. Of course the chicks require a lot of attention and care, but in the long run you know where your eggs are coming from, you know?

I'd also look into friendly dairy farms as well. They're not common nowadays, but hopefully with a lot of support they can be.

Hmmm would it be easier to buy a mother and let her have babies? When I visited family in Vietnam they had free-roaming chickens and when the mother hatched eggs they just followed the mom around and so long as you fed her, she seemed to care for the babies.