• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Everyone! I was wondering was being Gyaru still a popular? Cause alot of the popular "gaijin gals" have kinda moved on from being gal and alot of the gyaru groups are dead. I've noticed alot of people tagging themselves as "gyaru" but dont look gyaru at all.  Now that my makeup techniques have gotten better over the years. I wanted to try being gyaru again. 

Harutamu is my favorite!!

H.560.jpg

Posted

I think Ulzzang kind of took over which in a way makes me sad. Even though most gyaru's look the same to me, it was still about counter culture and standing out. Ulzzang is cute but it's completely the opposite. 

Posted

I like Ulzzang too. But I feel that gyaru just stands out more. 

Posted

I think it's because the style in Japan is dead? At least the extreme, tanned, big hair version of it. Not that there aren't people who still proceed with it, but it just isn't popular.

Posted (edited)

I think people are doing Hime gyaru and calling it just gyaru, though Hime is a bit toned done compared to the other sub categories. I've only exclusively seen the pink and pastel colors, not very big hair, very minimal make up and expensive "princess" stuff. So I think Hime took over while the others just kind of died down. I'm not a gyaru myself, though I have a weird thing for banbas and ganguros. I'm more of a silent follower, though if I had to choose one I'd be a rokku gyaru, due to liking the color schemes and hime just being too popular and misinterpreted a lot.

Like I see "gyarus" who wear basically pastel goth esque stuff and take basic selfies with no make up or anything and call it "gyaru fashion" and it bothers me :alpacadone:

Edited by Shinobu

Posted

I've only exclusively seen the pink and pastel colors, not very big hair, very minimal make up and expensive "princess" stuff.

I think they're doing it wrong then?  No offense! x.x
...if they want to be a classic Hime gyaru though.

Like if you google Hime Gyaru you will be slapped by some mass of hair :waatplz:
And their make up is usually that typical gyaru make up (lots of eyeliner and fake lashes, circle lenses, droopy eyes)

I used to envy Hime Gyaru in my teens and I just LOVED those Popteen issues back from 2009 - 2010.
Over the past years everthing has toned down massively due to that "otona kawaii" craze ~~

Posted

I think people are doing Hime gyaru and calling it just gyaru, though Hime is a bit toned done compared to the other sub categories. I've only exclusively seen the pink and pastel colors, not very big hair, very minimal make up and expensive "princess" stuff. So I think Hime took over while the others just kind of died down. I'm not a gyaru myself, though I have a weird thing for banbas and ganguros. I'm more of a silent follower, though if I had to choose one I'd be a rokku gyaru, due to liking the color schemes and hime just being too popular and misinterpreted a lot.

Like I see "gyarus" who wear basically pastel goth esque stuff and take basic selfies with no make up or anything and call it "gyaru fashion" and it bothers me :alpacadone:

There's this "new" (the most recent i'd say) trend called neo-gyaru which consists on flashy/edgy clothes, kinda like what you'd see on pastel goth, mixed with american fashion, and the makeup and hair is pretty much like a kogyaru and CL from 2NE1 had a baby. Maybe that's what you're talking about. :lamaheadshake: 

Posted

I just found this article and I think its very realistic view  link

Posted

Korean fashion really has taken over and become more popular than japanese fashion. 

Posted

Once when i was lurking in reddit i see people arguing about gyaru style, this day i discovered that the style is now viewed in a negative way because POC don't feel good about japaneses tanning their skin and in jfashion tumblr community is rejected because black face.

Posted

Not really. From my understanding it's popular to be subtle. Once upon a time people like Namie Amuro and Ayumi Hamasaki were like huge idols and everyone wanted to look like them and they served the guard culture. Then, magazines started catering to that look springing magazines like EGG. Then Gal had another boom from 2008-2012 and gal brands were everywhere.

Then times... Changed. Fashion changed. Girls didn't want to look like Kaa-tan or Kumikki. They wanted to look like Kiko Mizuhara. AKB48 became extremely popular and brought a change in fashion where girls wanted to be simplistic. Many gal magazines shut down EGG probably being the final axe to gyaru fashion. Many of those gyaru brands closed down. These days gyaru is pretty tame and looks like "ulzzang" fashion. Looking cute or elegant is what's in rather than looking wild or sexy.

As for the gaijin community. There was once a website called ricoche that catered to gaijin gals but it shut down. Gyaru secrets slowly began to die out. Now most gaijin gals are either catty bitches or tumblrinas and many just gave up all together on the fashion and moved on to cheaper fashions. I eventually left gyaru because of how dead it was. 

A brief history of gal lol

Posted

Lol I bought a D.I.A belt. But I feel weird wearing it and not being gal. I don't really get along with the black gyarus. *I'm black by the way*. 

Posted

Gaijin gyaru here! :) I'd personally say that gyaru is not completely dead, although engaging in gyaru social groups in facebook is so - the style is not dead as far as there's lots of western girls into it (which are, but remain somewhat private or within friends groups).

There's this "new" (the most recent i'd say) trend called neo-gyaru which consists on flashy/edgy clothes, kinda like what you'd see on pastel goth, mixed with american fashion, and the makeup and hair is pretty much like a kogyaru and CL from 2NE1 had a baby. Maybe that's what you're talking about. :lamaheadshake: 

Well, nope. Neo-gal is a term coined by Alisa Ueno (Fig&Viper producer) and she herself clarified it has no relation whatsoever to gyaru style - it's just using the term "gal" there, with means girl as far as I'm concerned.

Source: http://alisaueno.tumblr.com/post/89018780958/hello-alisa-i-just-wanted-to-hear-your-opinion-on

Hope it helps!

Posted

Gaijin gyaru here! 

Universal Doll did an article years ago (before she drew away from a gyaru focus) about the term neo-gal and how it was not related to gyaru fashion or culture at all.

I have seriously collected every issue of koakuma ageha (which was expensive af to do but so worth it through the years). Random issue of EGG, Popteen, Ranzuki, and Soul Sister. Hell, I even have a handful of FRUiTS hanging out on a shelf. Miscellaneous nail magazines too. OH! And the gyaru mini magazines that various companies published, usually to back their own products. 

I still focus on hime gyaru (I'm talking the OTT style) but since I am very busy with work I can usually do hime gyaru once a week unless I am on vacation. The rest of the time I wear hime kaji because I am a personal stylist and I can wear whatever the hell I want. Clients don't care as long as I look polished, and pastels fit my personality. Autumn and Winter I transition to more of an old school roma gyaru look.

The gyaru community isn't as popular because Japan isn't as popular anymore.

1. KPOP has become the new JPOP. People are more interested in learning the latest choreography to a KPOP track than para para. Korean Dramas have become the new Japanese Dramas. Even Korean animation is picking up although I think Japan will always have a stronger force in the market. Therefore ulzzang has taken over gyaru.
  2. Ulzzang is easier to maintain over the long run. The ulzzang look really comes down to how you style your makeup and hair and then you are good to go. Gyaru can be just as intensive as a good lolita coordinate. Gyaru takes A LOT of work. Magazines dedicated themselves to gyaru nails, gyaru hair, gyaru makeup, gyaru clothes, gyaru accessories, etc etc. They had street snaps analyzing various outfits and really pushed brand names. Of course you except this with hime gyaru and perhaps onee gyaru but even kurogyaru was littered with chanel purses and dior sunglasses. It really pushed the idea that you need all of these things to be gyaru. In the Western community there was a general consensus that if you didn't have these items, you were not gyaru, ESPECIALLY in the livejournal days. Plus DEAR LORD GETTING READY IS A BITCH. I can do normal makeup in 10 minutes (foundation, concealer, blush, setting powder, eye primer, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, faux lashes, and a lipstick). Gyaru makeup takes about 40-50 minutes depending on how cooperative my hand-eye coordination is during the day. I have circle lenses to put in and I need to put a billion drops in my eyes during the process if I want to wear them for the whole workday. Contouring my face takes a while - and a Kardashian contour is different from Gyaru contour. Depending on my skin my contour changes slightly. I have three different contour looks I can do that I know look good on my face. My eyeshadow routine is a little more complicated. I usually use more colors to get the shading right no matter if I am doing a neutral look or something in sweet pinks, or pastel hues. If I am using glitter liner I take extra caution to not put it so low that it gets in my eye and scratches my eyeball like sandpaper when it gets under a lense. If I decide to do glitter on my bottom lashes that also takes up a good amount of time. If I use a liquid matte lipstick I struggle trying to get the lines perfectly straight - cotton swabs are my best friends. I could just be slow with makeup, but either way gyaru makeup usually takes longer. AND THE HAIR FOR HIME GYARU DAJFL;SDFJS;KLA. I use wig pieces that are dyed to match my hair. People always think it's my own hair - IDK if they are idiots or if I just do a good job at hiding them. Plus if I am having a workday where I have to run around shopping for clients I know I need to bobby pin the living hell out of the pieces. If I am doing OTT hime gyaru instead of hime kaji it requires a lot more pieces, a lot more patience, and a lot more arm strength to hold my hands above my head without moving them for so long. Even ballet was never that tiring on my arms - then again in ballet you actually move your arms. If you go into rokku gyaru, ora ora, or kuro gyaru, doing sujimori can be just as much of a pain in the ass - or rather a pain in the arms. Plus kuro gyaru you are either tanning or covering your skin in dark foundation every time which takes a lot of time and effort.
  3. Plus gyaru can become expensive. I already mentioned designer branding was important but it has become less and less of a stress now in the Western comm. Many gaijin gyaru feel a need to litter their wardrobe with Japanese brands, and I admit I am still guilty of this although I have become better at mixing in cheap Taobao items or jewelry picked up at Forever 21. Japanese brands can be expensive, and even if you pick up Ank Rouge on sale the shipping can still be steep! The common Japanese brands used for hime gyaru (I'm not talking Jesus Diamante or La Parfait because that is a different level altogether) such as Liz Lisa, Ank Rouge, Penderie, mimosa, Allamanda, Sorridere, Sheena del Rey, Minimum Minimum, dazzlin' - hell even going into more of a mori look (although many pieces still workable in gyaru) such as Olive des Olive, Wonder Rocket, and Axe Femme can REALLY become expensive. Even $40 for a dress becomes unaffordable for most people when you take into account that it is just one part of an outfit. You are probably wearing a blouse under the dress with hime gyaru or at least a cardigan over it unless you live in a warm climate. You need shoes. You need tights or socks. You need hair accessories. For hime you probably need wig pieces or a shitton of hairspray and bobbypins. You need a bag. You probably need a necklace unless the neckline is already complicated. You need nails that work with your outfit. It adds up pretty quickly and that is just for one outfit. Luckily socks, accessories, and shoes can usually be reused for several outfits but if every picture you post online has the same accessories people become bored of you. Plus you become bored of yourself! 
  4. Liz Lisa patterns can become repetitive. Hime gyaru in general can become repetitive. When you religiously follow a brand it can be kind of fun to refresh the page every day and check out the new pieces. I went through a Yumetenbo phase a while back when they posted new content every single day and bought way more clothes than I needed from them. But year to year? La Pafait released 50 variations on the same rose hair pieces that had pearl strands connecting to giant pink bows. Liz Lisa always puts out floral print aline tops with matching skirts - usually with corset lacing at the waist. Ank Rouge always has France inspired prints often with keys in beige, brown, and navy. Axe Femme rarely strangers from bordeaux, navy, brown tones, beige, yellow, and forest green. Seriously, anytime I see a lavendar piece from them I cry tears of joy. Speaking of lavender: it was rare to see coordinates for hime gyaru outside of the color pink. Just like agejo was always pink and black. I saw very few lavender hime gyaru coordinates. Fewer in light blue. It was always pink or sometimes white. My Melody was everywhere. . .but that didn't stop me from buying the Liz Lisa x My Melody collaborations. 
  5. There are so many Japanese Fashion styles that the community spread out to other interests. Since hime gyaru is difficult to maintain for all of the reasons above a lot of people went into Fairy Kei, Larme Kei, Cult Party Kei, Dolly Kei - hell some into more of the roma gyaru styles leapt over to mori (although the mori community in Japan can be brutal with a long list rulebook. i have never seen japan have such an extensive list of rules in any fashion substyle. normally it's western comms making up rules to emulate their japanese idols.). Some of the best gals went into lolita because their local communities were bigger so they could dress over the top in a crowd and feel less awkward. Now you have Shironuri as a popular style too and you can totally rock big hair and pastels without having a long rulebook of what is right and what is wrong. Sui Princess is a huge fan of Swankiss and has created her own morph of Swankiss style that doesn't always fit into Larme or Cult Party. Jokingly gals say she switched to "Swankiss kei" but in an affectionate way of course because she always did a great job with hime gyaru but stuck to her own interests ~ 
  6. Japanese brand is not easily accessible for those that think it is necessary to gyaru. Yahoo! Auctions Japan is the cheapest place to find rare and fantastic pieces secondhand but most people can't be bothered to learn how to use it with an agent. Hell, Rakuten is still too complicated for most people. Finding brands on eBay is hit and miss. Often the pieces are a bit too 2006-2008 with short dark brown dresses with obnoxious orange and red floral prints, beige crocheted lace, and layered ruffles on the bottom. And fur. Lots of fur. Plus you also find sellers from Japan that are asking retail price for Liz Lisa pieces that are a couple years old. Rarely does anyone post current pieces and they usually want prices near the original retail value. 

The Western comm shrunk when Livejournal died out. The Western comm shrunk when Facebook began dying down and Instagram heavily took over. Instagram is currently dying because unless you are wearing full gyaru every day you have no new content to post.

Plus there isn't a lot of Japanese media to follow anymore. I still buy koakuma ageha now that it is through a new publisher but it has really been watered down much like most of the magazines. Luckily since it's revival they have renewed contracts with a lot of the old models and slowly it is reminding me of the golden issues in 2007-2008. I would even push to say 2009. Still, there as been nothing interesting enough in the magazines to warrant much conversation. Popteen isn't remotely gyaru anymore although there are still a lot of great general fashion ideas that you can turn into gyaru. Ranzuki isn't gyaru anymore. EGG died and never was revived. FRUiTS no longer has a surplus of gyaru roaming the streets and it's nothing you can't find on Instagram. Plus FRUiTS is mainly thrifted pieces or customized pieces now so it's hard to find the exact time so you have to be willing to do some DIY to emulate a look from the pages. 

But Sakurina hasn't been in anymore films. The community could only dissect Girl's Life for so long. The community thought Biri Gyaru (with the adorable Kasumi) would be great for gyaru but the movie ended on a flat note. While Kasumi's character became a stronger and better person it felt as if she abandoned so much of the stereotypical gyaru culture and strayed from the cultural revolution in Japan that started the gyaru movement in the first place. Needless to say no one is about to make a gyaru drama series right now.

So while there are still plenty of gaijin gyaru, they are not connecting as easily anymore.

Plus I blame tumblr. The gyaru tag is littered with so much crap that isn't remotely gyaru (a pair of denim shorts and a floral print top isn't gyaru) but it is a mix of people not knowing what gyaru actually is, people wanting to get as many followers as possible so the spam tag, and people not knowing where to look for more information.

Most resources are outdated. Livejournal is dead and most links and pictures are broken. Some journals are deleted because livejournal deleted a bunch of content if you hadn't logged on. Some livejournals are private now. A lot of random websites are facing the same issue or the became general Japan blogs. There are not a lot of outstanding gyaru specific Youtubers so you have to know some basic Japanese to find lots of channels showing you hairstyles and makeup you can use in Gyaru.

If there was some fantastic resource for people curious about gyaru then it would probably do better. If there were more supportive groups then it would probably do better. If some KPOP idol would say their idea type is someone who dresses in gyaru then it would probably do better.

I rambled but I think I explained everything. Please pardon any errors in grammar/spelling. It is very late but I was so excited to see this topic that I had to respond before going to bed ~ :alpacalove:

Posted

Seems like many former gyaru moved over to Larme Kei? My friend who's obsessed with Larme added me to the group on FB and there have been many discussions of former gyaru jumping on the style. Was never a gyaru but I really loved the style and drama back in the day. :harharplz: