• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

Eugene Lee Yang

83 posts in this topic

Posted

I used to really like the Try Guys, but I notice that they (especially Eugene and Keith) tend to act like typical LA assholes...conceited, arrogant, (humble) bragging constantly.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about them. I'm familiar with the LA social media/entertainment scene and lots of YouTubers act like that. I get the worst vibe from Eugene; he seems very vain and concerned with how other people perceive him.

I know there's a separate thread for the Try Guys as a whole, but I've worked in/am familiar with nightlife on the west coast, and I was actually at a nightclub in Vegas while all of the Try Guys were there. I talked to my main promoter there and he said they spent at least $20k HALFWAY through the night (I don't know the final billing amount). So yeah, it's not just Eugene. All of them like partying and drinking; their online personas of being awkward/cute/relatable aren't totally true, and they have quite a bit of money to blow on things like that.

Posted

This pretty much sums up how I feel about them. I'm familiar with the LA social media/entertainment scene and lots of YouTubers act like that. I get the worst vibe from Eugene; he seems very vain and concerned with how other people perceive him.

I know there's a separate thread for the Try Guys as a whole, but I've worked in/am familiar with nightlife on the west coast, and I was actually at a nightclub in Vegas while all of the Try Guys were there. I talked to my main promoter there and he said they spent at least $20k HALFWAY through the night (I don't know the final billing amount). So yeah, it's not just Eugene. All of them like partying and drinking; their online personas of being awkward/cute/relatable aren't totally true, and they have quite a bit of money to blow on things like that.

Wow that's really interesting. It also highlights what I've suspected all along - that they are doing far better than they let on!

They've been saying that they've put it all on the line for this channel, and don't have the support of a big company like buzzfeed anymore, and how dangerous it is for them financially, yaddayaddayadda... essentially guilting people into watching and supporting them through patreon and their merch, now book, etc. Despite them having a STAFF of people, at least 8 that are full time.

I've often thought to myself how can you justify having a staff of 8, plus pay yourself, and other expenses, yet act as if you're doing it tough??? 

Ned got his wife a brand new tricked out car for Christmas. That's not something most people can do in their first year of a new business... and being able to spend 20K on a party night is insane to me.

It makes me feel shit for the poor broke kids and adults shelling out their pocket money for an overpriced hoodie, that was made in a sweatshop in China for 1% of the price they are selling it for. Really puts a bad taste in my mouth.

i'm surprised no one has brought up that "family secret" that's been mentioned a couple of buzzfeed videos (one with his dad and another where the try guys had readings with a medium)

I think it's something pretty inane - Eugene just loves the drama. I suspect it's something like his Mother either being adopted, (Wasn't there some controversy over his heritage on one of those DNA tests not being 100% Korean like he thought?)  or maybe his Mother had been married or engaged before Eugene's Dad... maybe just had a miscarriage before Eugene. Something perfectly normal and non-scandalous that conservative Koren people might find stress-inducing to be open or candid about.

Honestly, why even edit it in, to begin with? They could have edited the entire thing out, and no one would know... but again it's for the drama and attention when it comes to Eugene.

Posted

I don't think so. The way he pronounced 먹방 was pretty....wrong. But I don't knock him for maybe not knowing Korean, he did grow up in Texas I think, so it's understandable.

I used to really like the Try Guys, but I notice that they (especially Eugene and Keith) tend to act like typical LA assholes...conceited, arrogant, (humble) bragging constantly.

That's interesting, I didn't know he grew up in texas, everything about him seems very LA.

Posted

Ned got his wife a brand new tricked out car for Christmas. That's not something most people can do in their first year of a new business... and being able to spend 20K on a party night is insane to me.

They also moved to a new house and did a huge renovation! And have a brand new baby!! Like I don't want to speculate about their money as a couple, but I suspect the Try Guys brand is doing VERY well.

Posted

Wasn't the Vegas night out when they spent thousands for Keith's bachelor party/weekend though?

Posted

i'm surprised no one has brought up that "family secret" that's been mentioned a couple of buzzfeed videos (one with his dad and another where the try guys had readings with a medium)

i thought the "secret" was that his family says they're pure blooded korean but they're actually part japanese, i thought he said that in their 23andme or whatever video. i hope i'm wrong bc i remember thinking that was like the lamest family secret ever lmao

Posted

It's weird that they left the family secret edited in. I watched the Wired Autocomplete questions video with the Try Guys a while back, and when the "what is eugene's family secret?" came up, he replied that "of course you wouldn't see that on the Internet!" But what can you expect? I think it should just be left alone, but they did dangle the family secret over the audience's heads instead of just being edited out. All I read about it was  that it was about miscarriages. If it is the part-Japanese thing, though, maybe it has something to do with his mom or grandmother being a comfort woman?  I remember seeing that on the comments, too. 

Posted

It's kind of hard for a Korean to be 100% Korean due to history. Most Korean people have at least some Japanese or Chinese in them whether they like to admit it or not.

Also, I could have sworn I saw some video or read something where Eugene's dad was from Northern China or he had roots from there?

Posted

It's weird that they left the family secret edited in. I watched the Wired Autocomplete questions video with the Try Guys a while back, and when the "what is eugene's family secret?" came up, he replied that "of course you wouldn't see that on the Internet!" But what can you expect? I think it should just be left alone, but they did dangle the family secret over the audience's heads instead of just being edited out. All I read about it was  that it was about miscarriages. If it is the part-Japanese thing, though, maybe it has something to do with his mom or grandmother being a comfort woman?  I remember seeing that on the comments, too. 

Exactly - Eugene seems to do this - dangles something out there then rebukes people who dare to question him on it. He loves the drama. He's a drama whore. No question.

He can't even call himself Bi or Gay. He uses the term QUEER,  UNISEXUAL and GAYSIAN FFS, which to me is slur worthy.

I also loathe the rumors that his Mother was a 'comfort woman' when she's nowhere near old enough to have been. Like how disrespectful. The fact that he doesn't even try to quash that rumor also pisses me off.

Posted

I love how Eugene has his own thread lol but yeah a lot of you have the same irks about him as I do. He's really into the whole normalizing alcoholism thing. Like even though the rest of the Try Guys probably drink as much as he does, he makes it a part of his personality. Eugene is probably a really fun guy to be around, but he carries himself like he's a drag.

Posted

They also moved to a new house and did a huge renovation! And have a brand new baby!! Like I don't want to speculate about their money as a couple, but I suspect the Try Guys brand is doing VERY well.

To piggyback (somewhat) on this post, I used to think Ariel is likable, like Ned's adorable wife who is sweet and thoughtful. But after watching two videos where her and Keith's wife, Becky, are watching older videos or spilling tea. I felt her head has gotten bigger now that she's appearing in front of the camera more, there was a sense of genuine-ness I liked about her before, it's gone now. and Becky, well she's just straight up unlikable.

Posted

I know there's a separate thread for the Try Guys as a whole,

Has it been deleted or am I just too dumb to find it...?

Posted

To piggyback (somewhat) on this post, I used to think Ariel is likable, like Ned's adorable wife who is sweet and thoughtful. But after watching two videos where her and Keith's wife, Becky, are watching older videos or spilling tea. I felt her head has gotten bigger now that she's appearing in front of the camera more, there was a sense of genuine-ness I liked about her before, it's gone now. and Becky, well she's just straight up unlikable.

whats the tea on Becky? just curious 

Posted

As far as I know there is none. Just she tries to be as whacky as Keith and people don't like a woman who does that? All I can come up with.

Posted

I'm not aware of any tea on Becky. She's unlikable to me because she seems a bit fake and tries too hard to be funny/crazy. So it feels unnatural.