• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Tøp / P!atd / Bmth & other 'alternative' music

35 posts in this topic

Posted

I thought I might start a topic because I can't be the only one who doesn't listens to asian music. (atleast not all the time)

I think it's really obvious that I like Twenty one Pilots lol. 

But other fav bands or bands I like  are Bring me the Horizon, Panic! at the Disco, Asking Alexandria, Storm the Sky, Papa Roach, Bullet for my Valentine, Of mice & men .. for example lol.

but I kinda obsess over 21Pilots the most rn. They're too adorable and..argh. :alpacacrush:

I hope I'm not the only one on here with that music taste.. :alpacadone:

Posted

Oohhhhh mygodddddd I can go on about this music forever even though I haven't been keeping up with the latest shit lol so sorry if this is long and i'm rambling 

I recently saw P!atD for the first time a few weeks back (bonus: it was a free concert!!!!), along with FOB (but that was my second time seeing them - the first time was their first comeback tour) and I still can not get over how amazing is Brendon's voice. I was kinda on a hiatus from their music (or new alternative music in general) so just having that experience was a huge wake up call. They preform REALLY good and Brendon is just an angel they really know how to get the crowd going. 

I've also seen 99% of the bands you've mentioned live but as I've mentioned before I haven't been keeping up with bands ;-;

I saw Asking Alexandria a few years back when I was a moderate fan and they just sounded... awful live lol I'm sure they improved though. They also didn't fit in with the rest of the bands because it was a metal fest (Mayhem Fest 2012) with people like Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead. BFMV was one of my first concerts (Mayhem Fest 2009), along with Slayer, Killswitch Engage, and Marilyn Manson (was mainly there for BFMV and Manson tho). Bring me the Horizon and Of Mice & Men are pretty good live too (saw them at Warped Tours 2012 & 2013). 

I've also seen New Years Day, Pierce the Veil, Sleeping with Sirens, A Day to Remember, All Time Low, Blessthefall, and the list goes on, but the only reason why I've seen so many bands is that I've had been fortunate enough to attend the festivals rather than individual artists' tours. 

At the moment I'm barely getting into Twenty One Pilots because I discovered them through finding out they have a song named Ruby (my name) and it's really catchy and beautiful. I'm trying to get back into this kind of music so if you have any song recommendations (like even the latest stuff from the bands I've mentioned) I'd love to know!

Posted

Oohhhhh mygodddddd I can go on about this music forever even though I haven't been keeping up with the latest shit lol so sorry if this is long and i'm rambling 

I recently saw P!atD for the first time a few weeks back (bonus: it was a free concert!!!!), along with FOB (but that was my second time seeing them - the first time was their first comeback tour) and I still can not get over how amazing is Brendon's voice. I was kinda on a hiatus from their music (or new alternative music in general) so just having that experience was a huge wake up call. They preform REALLY good and Brendon is just an angel they really know how to get the crowd going. 

I've also seen 99% of the bands you've mentioned live but as I've mentioned before I haven't been keeping up with bands ;-;

I saw Asking Alexandria a few years back when I was a moderate fan and they just sounded... awful live lol I'm sure they improved though. They also didn't fit in with the rest of the bands because it was a metal fest (Mayhem Fest 2012) with people like Slipknot, Slayer, and Motorhead. BFMV was one of my first concerts (Mayhem Fest 2009), along with Slayer, Killswitch Engage, and Marilyn Manson (was mainly there for BFMV and Manson tho). Bring me the Horizon and Of Mice & Men are pretty good live too (saw them at Warped Tours 2012 & 2013). 

I've also seen New Years Day, Pierce the Veil, Sleeping with Sirens, A Day to Remember, All Time Low, Blessthefall, and the list goes on, but the only reason why I've seen so many bands is that I've had been fortunate enough to attend the festivals rather than individual artists' tours. 

At the moment I'm barely getting into Twenty One Pilots because I discovered them through finding out they have a song named Ruby (my name) and it's really catchy and beautiful. I'm trying to get back into this kind of music so if you have any song recommendations (like even the latest stuff from the bands I've mentioned) I'd love to know!

I'm sooo jealous that you got to see them all live ugh... I only saw GreenDay back in early 2010.. many of them don't come as regular here in Germany, but I just got onto the festival train so I hope that seeing them all live will change soon. Eventho german festival line ups suuuuck. I wish I could go to warped tour :alpacafedup: but my boyfriend and I plan to and are currently saving money so..yay!

Also just like you, I just got back into that music recently (had a kpop phase of 3/4 years inbetween lol)... like I've been a fan of P!atd, for example, for long, even had the chance to go to a concert in 2011 but I was like 14/15 and it was far away and I didn't had money for it. :alpacadone: 

but my boyfriend send me a bunch of songs of also lesser known bands and I'm currently into shuffling my way through spotify lol.

So for recommendations, I hope I can five you a few: 

You should really listen into Storm the Sky.. they're sooo good and underrated. :alpacacrush: (my fav songs: Common Kings, If I Go, Tempest, Same Graves, Vigilance)

Well.. for 21Pilots... I love every song lol. But my favs atm are probably Heavydirtysoul, Lane Boy, Ride and Car Radio.

And I obsess over a reaaaalllyy old song from Enter Shikari.. I think it's 7 years old? But still sooo good. You probably know it anyways but it's Sorry you're not a winner. Oldie but goldie :alpacacrush:

for all the other bands.. there is soooo much stuff, I specially bought spotify for that. The new Bmth album btw is sadly not that good... Sempiternal was waaaaay better. But I still like Throne. 

Posted

True Story: I used to work at Hot Topic (got a great offer elsewhere so while the hours and responsibility were the same it was more $$$) - but it was recent enough that the store was super ~*~DISNEY POP CULTURE ~*~ so as long as you could identify band logos to recommend tee shirts to customers you didn't need to know much about music to get hired into management. 

Honestly while the pay wasn't great and being a visual merchandiser for that brand can have it's challenges, it was THE MOST fun I have every had with a job. Even outside of the retail world. 

I went through a scene kid phase in middle school and it carried into my freshman year of high school so I knew older alternative bands, but there were a ton that I didn't know. People would ask me from time to time what band was playing and I would have to walk over to the TV to see what was playing. I still have a Dot Dot Curve album that was my first purchase with my own money at Hot Topic. I waited for weeks for them to get in the CD. Ah, my scene kid days.

I distinctly remember when New Politics released Vikings and the album loaded on to our "New Release" playlist. The first song that played was 50 Feet Tall and I feel in love. I was up on the ladder fixing the shirts in the plexis that were displayed high up on the wall and I rushed down, tripping myself into a fixture, managed to cut my arm, and still ran to the TV to see what the hell was playing because it was so glorious. (I was working two full time jobs at the time so I blame being so clumsy on my lack of sleep.) I played that album every day I worked there once it loaded. 

I still freaking love PVRIS but I find their music videos to be super boring.

I got really sick of Twenty One Pilots while working at Hot Topic. I would hear the full album at least once every day but realistically several times a day. Hot Topic has a list of playlists you can choose from, and lots of albums you can listen all the way through. When a fan of "X" band would come into the store, sometimes we would switch the music. So if a kid was decked out in TOP gear and their mom was with them (aka they could spend a decent amount of money) we would put on the album just to get the kid excited and so that they would browse the store longer. Plus we knew most of the lyrics and would rap and sing along. It practically became a rule for all employees to shout "WAKE UP YOU NEED TO MAKE MONEY" in perfect unison along to Blurryface. TOP is definately talented, but I can't listen to anything from Blurryface without cringing. 

Anyway through working at Hot Topic I refreshed myself with the current alternative scene. I listen to a lot of styles though; hip hop, r&b, 70s southern rock, pop, electronica, blah blah blah the list goes on. There was a local KEDM event in my area that I was invited to that was super dope and I would totally go again. They actually had a DJ from Germany there! Apparently Essen has a decent KEDM scene over there. 

I used to never go to shows but working at Hot Topic we were always hanging out around work going to movies and concerts. Now I have a friend (who I met through Hot Topic) who photographs a lot of bands when they come to Portland, so she is always getting extra tickets. So going to concerts is now one of my favorite things to do. Most of the time I go to small shows just because they are cheap and it's easy to get good seats without spending a ton. 

Now that it's spring there is a flood of good shows. In a couple days I am seeing The 1975 while they tour with The Japanese House and Wolf Alice. Then a couple days later I am seeing Years & Years with another friend since I said "Oh this year for my birthday I am probably just going to eat ice cream and drink and watch more Netflix" and my friend flat out refused to let me do this alone. 

I think the last big alternative show I went to was. . .IDEK. Probably the last Warped Tour? So last August? 

BUT SERIOUSLY MY FEELS FOR SEEING PAPA ROACH ON YOUR LIST.  :alpacalove: The Paramour Sessions was the soundtrack to my middle school years. That album must have been played every day. It seemed like everyone knew it. 

Posted

Papa Roach is awesome... I just rediscovered them through my ex boyfriend who was a huuuge fan. 

And wow you worked at hot topic... well we don't have them here in germany..you just can order online :alpacabored: or atleast where I live... a friend of my said there's a huge alternative/metal/goth scene in another city called Leipzig and could be possible that they have a story maybe....but it's a bit far from where I live just for shopping :alpacaworry: well whatever I prefer ordering online anyways ..I'm too lazy and I hate squishing myself through a ton of people... 

well I had a very mixed taste of music when I was younger. I listened to a bit of punk thanks to my uncle who is an old-fashioned punk. So I mostly heard The clash and Sexpistols and stuff like that. And through my mum a bit of metal like Rammstein (I really loved them as a kid but I'm not into german metal anymore.. idk why). I also just got a flashback when I listened to Blood on the dancefloor alot oh my... my favourite song was always Candyland.. 

Btw I always wanted to be a scene kid when I was younger but my selfesteem was really low and so I kept wearing normal clothes. Except of one time I went to London when I was 13 and there were so many alternative shops I just had to buy something lol. But my hairdresser never could cut my hair scene like.. and she meant I would ruin my hair if she would make it colourfull. So I always had a lame haircut and just dyed it black. Buuuut.. now that I'm older (I just got 20 a month ago) I can do whatever I want. I started dying my hair unnatural colours like 2-3 years ago. Got into it again through kpop. And now I already had plenty of colours and still going! Currently blue (faded because I'll soon change it into pastel lilac-pink). I finally have the courage to be who I am..which I hadn't in almost all my teen years because I got bullied a lot for liking different things and dressing a lil different. I regret not doing that earlier but ..whatever. I'll just do it now and I'm luckily not too old for it.  And even if I was I wouldn't care. And that also includes getting back into that kind of music... I just rediscovered or discovered a bunch of cool bands and people and they make me so happy :alpacacrush: looking forward to hopefully a bunch of concerts and festivals! 

and luckily I'm not bored of the blurryface album by now, but I'm a pretty new fan to 21Pilots... my boyfriend even say I'm bandwagoning.. but I'm not. I never did that. If I like a band it's for a pretty long time/ forever. And gosh I'm talking too much sorry :alpacaworry: 

Posted (edited)

i used to pretend like i didn't listen to Panic, Paramore, or FOB in middle school because i didn't want to be picked on or i didn't want to be seen in the same respect as the rebellious scene kids... but i'm glad people are more open to them now. they may have changed styles throughout the years but they're the American bands i will never lose faith in :alpacacrush:

Edited by tanuki

Posted

i used to pretend like i didn't listen to Panic, Paramore, or FOB in middle school because i didn't want to be picked on or i didn't want to be seen in the same respect as the rebellious scene kids... but i'm glad people are more open to them now. they may bave changed styles throughout but they're the American bands i will never lose faith on :alpacacrush:

I didn't really hide that I listened to Paramore because I think that everyone thought Haley was super hot, but FOB and PANIC! were the ones that you didn't mention if you didn't want people to laugh. I became a lot more open about my music after a while though because I though hey, if someone is gonna judge me on the music I like, whatever. Plus at the time a lot of my friends were listening to the sappiest pop hits, so not much contest there, haha.

Posted

I didn't really hide that I listened to Paramore because I think that everyone thought Haley was super hot, but FOB and PANIC! were the ones that you didn't mention if you didn't want people to laugh. I became a lot more open about my music after a while though because I though hey, if someone is gonna judge me on the music I like, whatever. Plus at the time a lot of my friends were listening to the sappiest pop hits, so not much contest there, haha.

ooh true haha. yeah i totally get you. we've become mature to understand people just have different tastes in music and be more open about it you know?

Posted

I like twenty one pilots.. specially the judge and message man. I've never gotten into patd, i hate "i write sins not tragedies" because my ex used to listen to it lol. I love "Lying Is the Most Fun a Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off" though.. (damn those long titles).

When it comes to alternative my fave's are: Twenty One Pilots, Nirvana, Gorillaz, Arctic Monkeys, Sonic Youth, The Strokes, The Smiths, Joy Division, Kasabian, The Velvet Underground, No Doubt..

In addition to that: Catfish and The Bottlemen are really good and kinda similar to panick! at the disco. I recommend their two new songs "soundcheck" and "7" as well as "homesick" (so good), "kathleen" and "26". And i also really like Iceage, they are post-punk though. Love the song "The Lord's Favorite".

Posted

Oh I adore Panic! At The Disco's latest album Death Of A Bachelor. I've been listening to the full album once every day since it came out. . .maybe minus a couple days when I felt under the weather. His vocals amaze me every time. I did the same when Halsey put out her album but I grew tired of it. I haven't grown tired of Panic! At The Disco's work just yet. The album is a perfect evolution of Brandon's styles through the ages. SO brilliant to throw in a swing track (I adore swing music and my sister got me into electroswing ~) and it's amazing how well it meshes with the rest of the album. I hardly buy vinyl anymore but I simply HAD to buy Death Of A Bachelor

@Plum I adore The Velvet Underground, but sadly a lot of people have never heard about them and when I worked at Hot Topic they never carried any of their merch. . .granted I still don't think they do. It's a shame because other 60s - 70s rock bands have tee shirts available for purchase through them. I'd love to rock a tee shirt or two of them. Thanks for the other music recommendations! I'll have to check them out. 

Posted

Oh I adore Panic! At The Disco's latest album Death Of A Bachelor. I've been listening to the full album once every day since it came out. . .maybe minus a couple days when I felt under the weather. His vocals amaze me every time. I did the same when Halsey put out her album but I grew tired of it. I haven't grown tired of Panic! At The Disco's work just yet. The album is a perfect evolution of Brandon's styles through the ages. SO brilliant to throw in a swing track (I adore swing music and my sister got me into electroswing ~) and it's amazing how well it meshes with the rest of the album. I hardly buy vinyl anymore but I simply HAD to buy Death Of A Bachelor

@Plum I adore The Velvet Underground, but sadly a lot of people have never heard about them and when I worked at Hot Topic they never carried any of their merch. . .granted I still don't think they do. It's a shame because other 60s - 70s rock bands have tee shirts available for purchase through them. I'd love to rock a tee shirt or two of them. Thanks for the other music recommendations! I'll have to check them out. 

you can order them online :lamaheadshake: i have the sipping coke one.. they look really cool and Andy Warhol is a great artist.

Posted

Did you guys see the announcement for the Tøp worldtour? I'm sooooo hyped and happy lol. Can't wait. I wanna go so damn bad.

Posted

Did you guys see the announcement for the Tøp worldtour? I'm sooooo hyped and happy lol. Can't wait. I wanna go so damn bad.

Is there any place to get TOP merchandise internationally? I always wondered what people do in countries without Hot Topic. :Alpacaconfused:

Posted

Is there any place to get TOP merchandise internationally? I always wondered what people do in countries without Hot Topic. :Alpacaconfused:

we sob in a corner :alpacadone: recently wanted to buy a few bracelets from hottopic online. But you can only buy them with a credit card outside the US. And I just have paypal.. so I'm fucked lol. But there are sites who sell tshirts and stuff. I found such a damn nice hoodie on a side, want it really bad. :alpacacrush:

Posted

we sob in a corner :alpacadone: recently wanted to buy a few bracelets from hottopic online. But you can only buy them with a credit card outside the US. And I just have paypal.. so I'm fucked lol. But there are sites who sell tshirts and stuff. I found such a damn nice hoodie on a side, want it really bad. :alpacacrush:

REALLY?!?! Weird because in the US you can use a Paypal account. I wonder why they only take international credit cards? If there is a demand for merchandise outside the US I am surprised Hot Topic hasn't tested a few international locations. I would say it could be due to licences but they sell merchandise of English artists, Australian artists, German artists, etc. Hell - they even did an awfully bland tee shirt for PSY a few years back. I imagine they could encourage their merchandisers to get international licenses for the copyright material they use in designs. 

Which bracelets? The rubber bracelets or the "friendship bracelet" styles the had for TOP. I think they were a four pack?