• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Jvloggers general discussion thread

2189 posts in this topic

Posted

Another good one.  She and Oshare girl represent a nice, new wave of jvloggers. I like them much better than the last wave that was full of pettiness and drama.  These two seem mature.  You can just tell from their interactions with their fans.  

I think it depends on the focus of their channel.  If they do some kind of vlogging about Japan or stuff about Japan's history and culture it should be fine, but if they only discuss how to put on make up and just happen to live in Japan then I think they'd need a different thread.  I think it's not about where they are, but the content of their channel.  
Does that answer your question?

Thanks! I think they might need another thread since they focus more on living a kawaii lifestyle and some of them are NHK Kawaii Leaders (?) so this probably isn't the thread for them

Posted

So Maryjane Byarm just moved to Tokyo and posted a few videos on her Snapchat and Insta story. Tbh I don't think she's going to be that relatable of a jvlogger since even prior to moving to Tokyo ppl would ask her how she could afford to live and travel in Asia which she would reply "God's help". I understand that those questions can be annoying but let's be honest they're legitimate questions. Some of your followers want to move to China or Japan but are unsure of how to pay for it or what not. So I don't think she'll bring anything new to the table except for nice video editing, but some jvloggers already do that, cuz I doubt she will start making videos on how to live/move to China or Japan since it doesn't seem to interest her which is fine I guess

Posted

Does anyone remember that jvlogger she had brown hair and is skinny she’s married to a Japanese guy and does a lot of modeling. I found her channel once and watched a few vlogs and really enjoyed her but I’m totally blanking on her username 

Posted

Does anyone remember that jvlogger she had brown hair and is skinny she’s married to a Japanese guy and does a lot of modeling. I found her channel once and watched a few vlogs and really enjoyed her but I’m totally blanking on her username 

i think you mean lovelymilky?

20180125_120320.thumb.jpg.44d34f0fc8102c

Still cant get over how pretty she is lol

Posted

I think she recently uploaded a new video right?

Posted

yes! Thank you! 

Posted

I feel like we are discussing female jvloggers a lot here (esp with the current explosion of discussion on Sharla's)

TBH, as someone who has lived and worked in japan for quite some time, I dont wanna watch that basic gaijin white chick vlogger anymore that uploads the same content as every other basic gaijin white vlogger...some of them have rotten attitudes as well...

We discussed a handful of male jvloggers, but maybe we can discuss more of them. Who do you guys watch?

For me, I watch Jason is Lost, Phoenyx, and Higgins, on top of the obvious ones like Jun (he counts, right?) and Abroad in Japan. I found all of them from Victor and Hiko's livestream, and Mr. Broad from a vid someone shared on FB a few years ago. The smaller guys, Jason, Phoenyx, and Higgins, tend to upload regularly, it seems. Never have to wait for months for them to post something. Jun takes months between uploads, and Abroad is the type of guy that posts monthly. Either way, I like all of their videos because it's more of a lens on Japan instead of one of those 'omg look at this thing in japan' type of video.

I used to watch OkanoTV but Chris Okano....man....he comes off as a bit creepy to me. I also watched Where's Stu or whatever his name is now, but he hasn't uploaded in ages...

What are your suggestions? I especially like to see up-in-coming youtubers that DONT have their egos all in a freaking bunch.

Posted

What are your suggestions? I especially like to see up-in-coming youtubers that DONT have their egos all in a freaking bunch.

Ozzyawesome!! Like, that dude is awesome! And definitely not the generic giggly hipster who only shows you pop culture! I love his videos!

There is another guy I watch sometimes, but I need to check my subscriptions ^^

I know you asked for guys especially, but I am currently following a girl (recommended by someone on PULL btw) Le-chan, and she is in the north of Japan, and while she is a fangirl and a little weeb, she is also really natural, and fun to watch. Also MaaikeinJapan is far from the usual jvlog and clique content.

Posted

I feel like we are discussing female jvloggers a lot here (esp with the current explosion of discussion on Sharla's)

TBH, as someone who has lived and worked in japan for quite some time, I dont wanna watch that basic gaijin white chick vlogger anymore that uploads the same content as every other basic gaijin white vlogger...some of them have rotten attitudes as well...

We discussed a handful of male jvloggers, but maybe we can discuss more of them. Who do you guys watch?

For me, I watch Jason is Lost, Phoenyx, and Higgins, on top of the obvious ones like Jun (he counts, right?) and Abroad in Japan. I found all of them from Victor and Hiko's livestream, and Mr. Broad from a vid someone shared on FB a few years ago. The smaller guys, Jason, Phoenyx, and Higgins, tend to upload regularly, it seems. Never have to wait for months for them to post something. Jun takes months between uploads, and Abroad is the type of guy that posts monthly. Either way, I like all of their videos because it's more of a lens on Japan instead of one of those 'omg look at this thing in japan' type of video.

I used to watch OkanoTV but Chris Okano....man....he comes off as a bit creepy to me. I also watched Where's Stu or whatever his name is now, but he hasn't uploaded in ages...

Literally yesterday I found out about Only in Japan (I think his name is John). I like his videos a lot so far. He's so positive and really adventurous. I love his videos about food. I don't have much else to say though because I just found him. 

Posted

From all the 2017 recaps posted (from those I have seen at least ^^), I think osharegirl steals the crown. Like... when I think about Taylor R's video, where she tried to make it sound like she actually did something in 2017 except staying at home and doing nothing... 

This is an eventful year 2017

Posted

there is a new video from Maaike. With all the mediocre videos and garbage some jvloggers post it's so refreshing to watch her videos. I found the hiking part particularly interesting!

I know some think she is boring, but I find her so soothing and her content quite enjoyable to watch.

Posted

From all the 2017 recaps posted (from those I have seen at least ^^), I think osharegirl steals the crown. Like... when I think about Taylor R's video, where she tried to make it sound like she actually did something in 2017 except staying at home and doing nothing... 

This is an eventful year 2017

She must be from wealthy family.. I wonder how people like her do it, travel around, do this do that? With what kind of job you can take so many vacations? I get 3 weeks in a year and that is that and even if I save I could never afford what she did in one year.

Posted (edited)

She must be from wealthy family.. I wonder how people like her do it, travel around, do this do that? With what kind of job you can take so many vacations? I get 3 weeks in a year and that is that and even if I save I could never afford what she did in one year.

Usually people stay that long on a work and travel visa. That means you have to work for some time but also have a lot of time for traveling depending on your budget. Less budget = more working and the other way around. A lot of foreigners go for teaching English because you don't need much for that and in Japan it's more like just talking than actual teaching because you're not supposed to engage with the students (those are the part-time, bit shady schools students attend after actual school in their free time I'm talking about, there are of course a lot of programs that actually teach languages properly but those are more long-term oriented because they have to sponsor your working visa and so on).

Also, those work and travel years are usually done between high school and university as a change of environment and because it looks good when you'e llooking for a job in the future. But a lot of countries allow you to apply for such a visa when you're up to 30, so some people work, save money and then quit and take opportunity of this kind of visa.

Edited by Qualle

Posted

Usually people stay that long on a work and travel visa. That means you have to work for some time but also have a lot of time for traveling depending on your budget. Less budget = more working and the other way around. A lot of foreigners go for teaching English because you don't need much for that and in Japan it's more like just talking than actual teaching because you're not supposed to engage with the students (those are the part-time, bit shady schools students attend after actual school in their free time I'm talking about, there are of course a lot of programs that actually teach languages properly but those are more long-term oriented because they have to sponsor your working visa and so on).

Also, those work and travel years are usually done between high school and university as a change of environment and because it looks good when you'e llooking for a job in the future. But a lot of countries allow you to apply for such a visa when you're up to 30, so some people work, save money and then quit and take opportunity of this kind of visa.

She works full time as an ALT and has a proper work visa. She recently just got married to a Japanese guy, so she'll probably be on a spouse visa. 

It's easy to work around an English teaching schedule, since it's not like you're working 7 days a week. Japan also has a sh*t ton of random vacation days that let schools out.

If you watch her vlogs, she does get to travel occasionally, but they are at max like 2~3 day trips. 

Posted

Is there a thread for hiding in my room? He is not a Jvlogger but his life is DRAMA everywhere, I saw it on lolcow but not here