• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Jvloggers general discussion thread

2186 posts in this topic

Posted

Image result for Ozzy Awesome

I wish Ozzy had more subscribers than he does. He seems like a really fun guy to hang out which tbh. ;o; Apparently he's been doing Youtube for 8 years or smth like that? And he's only at 19k. His videos are fun :( I wish he'd blow up already.

Posted

Image result for Ozzy Awesome

I wish Ozzy had more subscribers than he does. He seems like a really fun guy to hang out which tbh. ;o; Apparently he's been doing Youtube for 8 years or smth like that? And he's only at 19k. His videos are fun :( I wish he'd blow up already.

He sounds cool! Do you have a link to his youtube channel?

Well, to take a wild guess: I think for everyone who isn't focusing on the weeb part of Japan or who isn't part of the Jvlogger-clique it's more difficult to attract an audience.

Posted

Well, to take a wild guess: I think for everyone who isn't focusing on the weeb part of Japan or who isn't part of the Jvlogger-clique it's more difficult to attract an audience.

Pretty much.  I also think Jvloggers that become popular attract a kind of cult of personality around them.  They tend to name their fans like how Justin Bieber calls his fans "Beliebers". (I forget what Taylor calls her fans, but she's had several pet names for her loyalists).  This fosters a sense of cult-like loyalty and feeling of belonging in a community.  

Ozzy just doesn't seem to have that.  Too bad.  

Posted

https://m.youtube.com/user/ozzy78

Posted

Do you guys remember Erica? Taylor's rented friend?

She has posted a new video. And I kinda like where her channel is going to! Like...  seriously:

First we have real vegan food - even for me as a non-vegan this was interesting. She went to a reaustaurant where you can help out and then eat for free.  Then she shows us a fashion show, another vegan café and then a parasite museum

Posted

Do you guys remember Erica? Taylor's rented friend?

She has posted a new video. And I kinda like where her channel is going to! Like...  seriously:

First we have real vegan food - even for me as a non-vegan this was interesting. She went to a reaustaurant where you can help out and then eat for free.  Then she shows us a fashion show, another vegan café and then a parasite museum

I like her channel too. She seems authentic and down to earth. And her veganism isn't just for show either, like it was with Taylor and to some extent Sharla, because she's made multiple videos in which she actually speaks out against things like animal cafes and fur, and she donates her time to businesses that support animal rights (this vegan restaurant, the animal sanctuary, etc). She clearly actually cares.

Her videos are still a bit rough, which is definitely to be expected for a beginner who is still figuring things out, but I am enjoying her channel so far! Not sure how she can like Taylor though...

Posted

I don't have a problem with all animal cafes.  There is one in Yokohama that is pretty famous for taking on rescue cats.  They even have a vet on staff just for the cats. They are only open for a few hours a day and make sure everything is all about the cats, not the customers.  They even have a clause that says they take no complaints from customers because the cats come first.  There are quite a few cafes like this in Japan.  So, I don't feel that ALL animal cafes are bad.  Just some of them.  

Posted

I don't have a problem with all animal cafes.  There is one in Yokohama that is pretty famous for taking on rescue cats.  They even have a vet on staff just for the cats. They are only open for a few hours a day and make sure everything is all about the cats, not the customers.  They even have a clause that says they take no complaints from customers because the cats come first.  There are quite a few cafes like this in Japan.  So, I don't feel that ALL animal cafes are bad.  Just some of them.  

Yeah she acknowledged that in a follow up video. Her point was that many/most animal cafes in Japan don't actually care about the animals. There are always exceptions. 

Posted

Since we have her on the Taylor channel and she's still pretty new... Here's Erica! She appeared in two (?) of Taylor's videos since she's partly working for a rent-a-friend agency. Couldn't find that much info about her, but she's British-Japanese, also does acting on the side and actually is vegan and cares for animal rights. I already mentioned it in Taylor's thread, but I think she's really refreshing, I love her voice and her looks and she does videos that I haven't seen yet from Jvloggers and they're really short too.

She's honestly a breath of fresh air when it comes to the j-vlogging community imo. I can't wait to see her channel develop over time. I like how she sheds light on issues in Japan that a lot of people often overlook when they watch videos on Japan (e.g Animal Cafes.) She seems sincere and passionate for what she stands for. 

Posted

Here's a semi-random thought : Do you think we're seeing a major shift from the jvloggers ?

If you look at the jvloggers group from one year ago compared to now, alot of them either slowed down alot, or straight up stopped making videos (moved to something else or even just left Japan) and i feel like right now we're in a "slow" phase regarding jvloggers. Yes there is new people trying to make their way, but unless i havent been looking at the right place, none of them really stand out enough to be qualified as a "jvlogger".

I've been told that the french side of the jvloggers (not even sure if they call themselves like that) is getting bigger and bigger, and i guess that's good. The english side does seem to be shrinking fast.

I feel like alot of the current and ex jvloggers got big around the same-ish time which gave us a ton of videos all the time, and now that a good numbers of them moved on, we're getting way less content since no new rising youtubers are stepping in to replace them.

I feel like we might see a bigger hole in the coming months and then, hopefully, maybe, out of nowehere (not really out of nowhere, but you know what i mean) we'll wake up one day and have like 10 "new" faces in the jvlogging community.

I am not saying it's a bad thing at all, it's totally fine and im actually looking forward to something like this, to get a new "start" or something like that.

Anyone else got a similar feeling? Maybe it's only me and i need to look harder on youtube :')

Posted

I think the J-vlogging community is shrinking due to the Korean wave and the repetitive content which happens on YT no matter what. We've seen all the cafe videos, the culture shock videos, the "How I learned Japanese" videos, and etc. How many times is everyone going to watch the same content with a different voice? 

Personally unless we're getting more content like Abroad in Japan I don't care to see the community revived even though I used LOVE it.

Posted

Plus also, YouTube has gotten sloppy with their suggestions.  I will watch 50 nail art tutorials but watch one video of judge Judy.  And my suggestions are filled with judge Judy.  Nothing related to nail art or make up.  All of it is Judy.  So I think YouTube suggestions is messing up too.  Not just the jvloggers

Posted

What I'm missing about the current Jvloggers is someone with a certain passion. Not necessarily anime because we have enough of that. But there is so much unique stuff about Japan, let's say someone is doing kendo all their live long and now moves to Japan to widen their horizon on that, talks about their experiences around that with some smaller extra videos about Japan in general.

An older example could be the Shibutani siblings who are ice skaters from America and they vlog about their competitions and stuff like that, they've been in Japan three years ago and did a couple videos there. Even featuring people like Hanyu. I'm not even really interested in ice skating, but they're really cool personalities and have great video skills, it's just so much better because they show some different sides of Japan that you just don't get to see from the current Jvloggers.

There just doesn't seem to be any foreign vlogger in Japan currently who follows their passion. Fasion and makeup are not really a passion for me, nor is shopping.

Posted

Do you guys have any suggestions for jvloggers at the moment? I'm really looking for smaller one, not those with a 100.000 followers.

I find Erica (though she is already getting a lot of views) and Ozzy pretty cool. Recently I have checked out Sharla's friends Greg and Nicole, but both are rather boring. Or let's say, their content is rather boring, while I kinda like them personality-wise..

Posted

I posted a while back some links to new vloggers I know of.  It should only be one or two pages back.