• Announcements

• PULL Archiving   07/22/20

Hi all, I paid the server bill for the month so the site can be archived, sorry for the mess, didn't realize there'd be such an uproar. The site's in read-only mode. Happy archiving. Here's a link to a user-made PULL discord server: https://discord.gg/vZFEm75

Jvloggers general discussion thread

2228 posts in this topic

Posted

Apparently Chris Broad did a documentary that I've found on Amazon Prime Video? 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B088JHQZSH/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

Called "Cat Nation" and says its from 2017. The auto preview started and I was like "wait a min...I recognize that voice. 

Chris Broad is a very inspiring young man. Only 30 years old and look at how much he's accomplished since arriving in Japan. Yet despite his fame he has managed to continue creating high quality content while mostly avoiding all the jvlogger drama. That is no easy feat.

Posted

Chris Broad is a very inspiring young man. Only 30 years old and look at how much he's accomplished since arriving in Japan. Yet despite his fame he has managed to continue creating high quality content while mostly avoiding all the jvlogger drama. That is no easy feat.

100% agree with this!

Chris is the one Jvlogger who's videos I genuinely look forward to watching. Always high quality, well researched videos. And having grown up in the UK myself. I'm able to get his sense of humour and references that only those who are familiar with the UK, might completely understand. 

And it's just an added plus that he mostly manages to avoid all of the jvlogger drama, that plagues a majority of the other jvloggers. 

Posted

100% agree with this!
Chris is the one Jvlogger who's videos I genuinely look forward to watching. Always high quality, well researched videos. And having grown up in the UK myself. I'm able to get his sense of humour and references that only those who are familiar with the UK, might completely understand. 

And it's just an added plus that he mostly manages to avoid all of the jvlogger drama, that plagues a majority of the other jvloggers. 

I agree. Chris's videos are great, always very interesting and his personality is great as well. As a fellow Brit I appreciate his humour a lot.

I also really enjoy the podcast he does weekly as again it's full of interesting content.

Most J-vloggers just stay indoors or go to starbucks (at least they did I don't watch them anymore) and I find it super boring.

Posted

I'm going to be honest, the Dogen thing doesn't surprise me but Im not one to cancel someone because of who they hang out with or associate with...This Theo person seems really strange but simply engaging with someone like that shouldn't warrant all the nonsense being thrown his way. Idk...I dont even watch Dogen; people complaining about him has filled my timeline ad nausem though so I just unfollowed a bunch of people. 

What's going on with the community regarding this pandemic? I know the 'hanami' happened earlier last month and someone else did a Twitch picnic as well; What's everyone doing, basically? I havent been following along at all because i havent had time to watch anything due to work getting crazy. 

Has any jvloggers been affected by Japan's border closure? (that's why my work has been so busy; clients being unable to return to Japan) 

Posted

Hey anyone know what the biz is with John Daubs recent channel changes?

Posted

Has anyone seen that Paolo from Tokyo's wife recently gave birth and they named the child Wolverine? 😐

Posted

Has anyone seen that Paolo from Tokyo's wife recently gave birth and they named the child Wolverine? 😐

i mean that is just the middle name, but they used it as a clickbait title bc they kindof suck.

Posted

I'm always baffled by YTbers who make good quality content AND pull numbers but would also resort to put out clickbait? What's the end goal here?

I know these 'Day in the Life of...' probably take forever to produce (and his wife just giving birth means they won't be able to make new ones for a while) but they still probably have some saved from all the previous vids from this playlist right?

Posted (edited)

i mean that is just the middle name, but they used it as a clickbait title bc they kindof suck.

tbh middle name or not I would still be embarrassed and never tell a single person/use it for any documents

I think there's a problem these days when people name their kids, they think of cute, fun, trendy, fandom names but never think of the baby that will grow to a full functioning adult and have to deal with the shitty name given to them (until 18 at least, aka the years they're going to be bullied the most) 

edit: I saw the video and they're being ripped apart in the comments, rightfully so. and it doesn't seem like it's a middle name. the description makes it sounds like it's his first name, but they only added Taiga in the front just for the convenience of living in Japan as wolverine isn't easy in Japanese and they're still going to call him "Wolfy"

Edited by 츄

Posted

tbh middle name or not I would still be embarrassed and never tell a single person/use it for any documents

I think there's a problem these days when people name their kids, they think of cute, fun, trendy, fandom names but never think of the baby that will grow to a full functioning adult and have to deal with the shitty name given to them (until 18 at least, aka the years they're going to be bullied the most) 

edit: I saw the video and they're being ripped apart in the comments, rightfully so. and it doesn't seem like it's a middle name. the description makes it sounds like it's his first name, but they only added Taiga in the front just for the convenience of living in Japan as wolverine isn't easy in Japanese and they're still going to call him "Wolfy"

It's technically his middle name but middle names aren't really a thing in Japan, so his name is literally Taiga Wolverine.

If I'm not mistaken Taiga as a first name is also super uncommon. I really feel for that kid :/ Especially because he might already be at a disadvantage because he's mixed.

Posted (edited)

I like how everyone is dragging him for the name in the comments. 
and yeah like ppl have pointed out, middle names aren’t a thing in japan, they’re just shoved onto the end of your first name. So his teachers at school for example will read out his name as “de guzman taiga wolverine” in class, that will be on all his official documents, when he tries to set up a bank account, when he applies for a job or gets a passport. RIP. The sheer selfishness and immaturity of naming a child that name... I lost a lot of respect for Paolo tbh. The poor kid. It’s hard enough growing up mixed in japan with a normal Japanese name! :/ 

Edited by Granola

Posted

He named his child...Taiga Wolverine?

You know what, maybe Nelda Mineta isn't so bad after all.

Posted

Never knew taiga was even a word, but wow that kid is going to have a rough time. What a shame, something that he can't even control.

What's with these ridiculous names of 2020? It's just stupid. Literally something that if the kid wants to change later it could be quite a hassle. Having a ridiculous name can cause a kid to be bullied.

Posted

Taiga isn't that much of an unusual name, but it's not a common name either. I know... at least four guys called Taiga. Thing is the combination of names really doesn't sound great, to say it nicely.