• Announcements

• *NEW* PULL FAQ   07/11/20

Hello. It has been a long time coming, but we finally have a PULL FAQ! In this FAQ you may find answers to most commonly asked questions here on the site. Please make sure to read the FAQ before asking a question in the Site Feedback (formerly the "Make Your Voice Heard") subforum as chances are your question has already been answered. If it has not been answered, then feel free to ask your question within the thread or make a new one with your question. The FAQ can be found in 2 locations: The News & Announcements section and the Site Feedback section. We hope this helps current and new users. Thank you.

Jvloggers general discussion thread

2228 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone know Deidora (Chocolate Geisha)? I guess she's not technically a J-vlogger anymore because she moved back to the U.S., but her time spent in Japan was relatively brief compared to other J-vloggers. I think she lived in Japan for about 2 years? If my memory serves me correctly, she first lived in Gunma Prefecture as an English teacher and then moved to Tokyo for the remainder of her stay. She seems like a very sweet, genuine lady. Her Japanese is great, judging by her "Why I left Japan" video. To summarize, she left Japan because she wanted to work in showbiz but couldn't find any opportunities as a black woman.

In her "Dating in Japan as a Black Woman" video (iirc), it surprised me when she said that Japanese men are very serious when it comes to dating. The general consensus of dating as a foreigner in Japan (especially as a foreign woman) is that finding dates and hooking up is easy but finding a long-term, serious relationship is difficult because so many people will only date you purely for the experience of having a foreign bf/gf. She's the first J-vlogger I've ever heard say the opposite, haha.

I wish I could relate to all the positive attention she got from Japanese guys, lol. must be nice

Posted

Anyone know Deidora (Chocolate Geisha)? I guess she's not technically a J-vlogger anymore because she moved back to the U.S., but her time spent in Japan was relatively brief compared to other J-vloggers. I think she lived in Japan for about 2 years? If my memory serves me correctly, she first lived in Gunma Prefecture as an English teacher and then moved to Tokyo for the remainder of her stay. She seems like a very sweet, genuine lady. Her Japanese is great, judging by her "Why I left Japan" video. To summarize, she left Japan because she wanted to work in showbiz but couldn't find any opportunities as a black woman.

In her "Dating in Japan as a Black Woman" video (iirc), it surprised me when she said that Japanese men are very serious when it comes to dating. The general consensus of dating as a foreigner in Japan (especially as a foreign woman) is that finding dates and hooking up is easy but finding a long-term, serious relationship is difficult because so many people will only date you purely for the experience of having a foreign bf/gf. She's the first J-vlogger I've ever heard say the opposite, haha.

I wish I could relate to all the positive attention she got from Japanese guys, lol. must be nice

ive watched some of her videos and she seems sweet! I feel like her knowing japanese plays a part into why her dating experience has been different from others. That and i just feel like most jvloggers have genuinely bad taste when it comes to picking guys in japan:alpacadone: they always go with obvious gaijin hunters or cheaters and ignore red flags because they just want a japanese partner. It sucks that she wasnt able to do showbiz like she wanted to, it's pretty hard in japan especially if you dont have a big company backing you and arent constantly promoting/looking for work

Posted

So I follow Rune on Instagram a few years back. And I didn't mind her much because... Well, I wasn't as interested to know more about her than "oh look, she's cute and I like that she's representing black women in Japan/asian interest"

Then I notice a pattern (which I brush off back then) when she dated (I think either japanese or Chinese) guy she was all over jfashion and kawaii clothes. Once she dated a Korean guy she ditched the cute style and went kstyle with more edgy and dark clothes. In that phase in her Tumblr she rebloged a lot about ambw and mix families of black and Korean families/children/marriage. I thought it was odd cause she claimed she isn't seeking solely asian men to date yet she does and she also said she doesn't want to pretend to be asian or suggested to change to "get an Asian bf" yet.... She did. She is lightening her skin tone, she refused to wear her natural hair, and she changes fashion depending on who she dates. 

Now that she's married to a white man she's a tradwife. Nothing wrong with that when I first saw it considering women are allowed to choose but this thread screenshots are..... Big yikes!! "Submit to your husband" "do whatever he says" "make him make all the decisions" it's like she's changing herself, lifestyle and clothes to fit the white man views... The toxic 50s views!

Posted

So I follow Rune on Instagram a few years back. And I didn't mind her much because... Well, I wasn't as interested to know more about her than "oh look, she's cute and I like that she's representing black women in Japan/asian interest"

Then I notice a pattern (which I brush off back then) when she dated (I think either japanese or Chinese) guy she was all over jfashion and kawaii clothes. Once she dated a Korean guy she ditched the cute style and went kstyle with more edgy and dark clothes. In that phase in her Tumblr she rebloged a lot about ambw and mix families of black and Korean families/children/marriage. I thought it was odd cause she claimed she isn't seeking solely asian men to date yet she does and she also said she doesn't want to pretend to be asian or suggested to change to "get an Asian bf" yet.... She did. She is lightening her skin tone, she refused to wear her natural hair, and she changes fashion depending on who she dates. 

Now that she's married to a white man she's a tradwife. Nothing wrong with that when I first saw it considering women are allowed to choose but this thread screenshots are..... Big yikes!! "Submit to your husband" "do whatever he says" "make him make all the decisions" it's like she's changing herself, lifestyle and clothes to fit the white man views... The toxic 50s views!

You should share this on the new J-instagrammer thread! She's discussed further there. https://prettyuglylittleliar.net/topic/13580-j-instagrammers/?page=1 But yeah, Rune is an...interesting case, to say the least.

Posted

does anyone remember kristina n grace? all her videos are gone or unlisted, except for one. i havent looked at her channel in such a long time, but i was surprised to see it wiped clean. wonder what happened O.o

Posted

does anyone remember kristina n grace? all her videos are gone or unlisted, except for one. i havent looked at her channel in such a long time, but i was surprised to see it wiped clean. wonder what happened O.o

I actually thought about asking that same question here at one point because I remember her as well, haha. She moved back to the U.S. last year after six years in Kyoto. That surprised me because she seemed better integrated compared to other J-vloggers. In one of her now deleted videos, I recall her saying how she planned to live in Japan semi-permanently. Iirc, she specifically said she wanted to move back to the U.S. after having children (she had a Japanese boyfriend at the time) so they could grow up learning English and then move back to Japan when their family is older. She and her boyfriend seem to have broken up, though. I remember seeing a pic of them at the beach together on her IG a long time ago but it's now gone.

I don't follow her so idk if she's ever explained why she left Japan and quit YT. Could be for any reason, who knows?

Posted

Does anyone remember Paris aka lesweetpea? I’ve been following her for a while and got an update on how she’s now a trading investor and mentoring others who are interested. I would be indifferent about the entire thing if I didn’t initially learn about this through her Japanese instagram page (which seems to have been abandoned from what it seems). I understand times are tough but the whole investment thing looks like an mlm, where someone needs 6 people to join and then those people need to look for people. It sucks cuz I genuinely liked her content but I’m not interested in investment trading so I’ll probably unfollow 

Posted

Usually there are sites that'll let you search a company and say if it's an MLM. But if she's trying to recruit people in "investment banking" on ig that's a fucking YIKES.😬

Posted (edited)

Does anyone remember Paris aka lesweetpea? I’ve been following her for a while and got an update on how she’s now a trading investor and mentoring others who are interested. I would be indifferent about the entire thing if I didn’t initially learn about this through her Japanese instagram page (which seems to have been abandoned from what it seems). I understand times are tough but the whole investment thing looks like an mlm, where someone needs 6 people to join and then those people need to look for people. It sucks cuz I genuinely liked her content but I’m not interested in investment trading so I’ll probably unfollow 

Huge red flag right there.

Screenshot_56.thumb.png.d84a2c40642791af

They are some "investment" based MLM that preys on financial insecurities. A huge red flag is the term "financial freedom" in their description.

Financial freedom is currently a growing trend where people "invest" enough money to pay for one's living expenses for the rest of their life without having to be employed or dependent on others ever again. Basically, they look for people who never want to work hard to earn money and so they can live their lives in a permanent holiday (sometimes called early retirement) while they have passive income from "investments".

Worse, if you check their website, Tokyo Trading JP is under IM Academy/imarketslive. IM Academy charges $324.94 to be enrolled at first and then a regular monthly charge of $274.95 to be a member. That's $599.89 straight in a single month.

The only person who benefits from this is the person straight up at top who gains the majority of the money, and then they recruit more people under them who will promote the business and get breadcrumb money, like Paris/lesweetpea making "Tokyo Trading JP" as an underling branch. In turn, Paris recruits even more people under her. It's all just a pyramid scheme/MLM based off on  "investments" as a product as opposed to other MLMs that base themselves on products like clothes, jewelry, essential oils, etc.

People like Paris in turn then feel like "boss babes" for having her own "company" (Tokyo Trading JP), but reality is, they're just a layer of the pyramid getting breadcrumbs. They're still financially dependent on someone else's business (IM Academy) and the whole "financial freedom" thing is a big fat lie.

----------

If she really wanted extra money to never work again, she should have just tried stock trading or some shit. But I suppose you need brains to do stock trading and learn finance skills. Joining an "investment" MLM is a shortcut for dumb people who don't understand a thing about real investments and want to delude themselves they're some CEO babes and shit without any knowledge of finance. Hell, even starting you own real business would have been better, but that also needs brains and hard work. 🤔

Edited by Caeleigh

Posted

yeah i actually unfollowed lesweetpea recently because of all this. it just seems sketch as hell and a bit disappointing.

Posted

damn, we really can't have just one normal J-vlogger or J-grammer huh lol

they always take some turn for the worst ffs

Posted

Isn't Jakenbakelive a part of the Tokyo creative crew? Wasn't he in the infamous Logan paul video or am I remembering someone else?

Posted (edited)

Does anyone keep up with CurrentlyHannah?

I used to watch her because I liked her cinematographic style and because she often showed places other Jvloggers didn't feature.

She also seemed quite integrated (or at least acted like she is). I stopped watching tho because she started giving of this ~I'm not like other girls/vloggers~ vibe.

YouTube recently recommended this video to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ZxIwqQ-lI

and I was shocked by how misinformed she was. I mean the whole video seemed overly judgmental and not well-researched. (As most comments have pointed out.) Her editing is really nice but still couldn't cover up the many flaws. Everyone in the comments also criticised her for not researching the laws regarding packaging in Japan. I almost feel like she's turning into one of those foreigners in Japan who end up hating the country but refuse to leave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOpKOjKSFTA

This video also showed up in my recommendations and it annoys me so much lol.

It's one thing to point out the flaws of Travel Vloggers but to mock each of their pictures and poses?

I feel like she's just annoyed that being a fulltime travel vlogger didn't work out for her. (Not sure if that's the case but that's my impression.)

Edited by yumecore
edit because i'm a noob & don't know how to embedd stuff lol

Posted (edited)

Has anyone heard about the cancelation of Dogen?

Apparently he follows a Trump supporter who lives in Japan and is "simping" (how do you do, fellow kids?) her. Her tweets are truly awful, transphobic and partly fascist (denying racism, discrediting blm,...). 

He also interacts with her quite often and is only following 34 people on Twitter. I'm pretty sure he's a closeted... let's call it "Conservative". 

Seems like he lost almost 1000 followers because of this since yesterday. 

Edited by Kumanosuke