• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Jvloggers general discussion thread

1978 posts in this topic

Posted

Pewdiepie is his own brand.  So he doesn't need anyone to help him go anywhere.  He can sponsor himself.  Not sure why pewdiepie is mentioned.  And he says he wants to move to such and such a place every week.  I wouldn't take him saying once or twice "I want to move to Japan" as truth.  

Posted

I think some of the reasons pointed out are true if you put them in the right context.

- the drama Mira caused probably did make the jvlogging crew more insular for a period of time. However, considering that drama is years old now, it probably doesn't have much effect on anyone except Rachel/ Sharla who went through this personally. None of the newcomers are going to be that cautious because the majority haven't been burnt by someone like Mira.

- Rachel and Jun seem to have just given up when they can make really good content? They did a few documentary type videos, like interviewing black people living in Japan, and they could've continued with that type of video while also making the less labour intensive cat videos on the side. Like I'm not expecting them to interview ex-yakuza bosses and uncover the crime network in Japan, but they genuinely did something that no other jvlogger did and then just... stopped. They also haven't seemed to have done any collabs and are just doing stuff as a couple (which I guess I understand, their lives their choices).

- it's true that there's no long term career prospects in Japan unless you speak the language to a high level or gain extra qualifications to teach English at a university. When most people inevitably leave, their viewership immediately loses interest because what was interesting about their channel was Japan, not the vlogger. Just look at Bronwyn. Then there's the practical issue of collabs with the jvlogging crew if someone moves abroad; Bronwyn did a video with Taylor and I think maybe Sharla in Canada, but that's the extent of collabs simply because of the physical distance.

- Okano is changing the jvlogging community - he's just making it so that all collabs go through TC. TC is trying to become a monopoly in the English speaking jvlogging sector on YT, and it'll probably succeed. Just look at the TC main channel, it's one big collab fest and that's the main draw of it. The channel's content is irrelevant; it's so bland and unoriginal that we've seen it dozens of times before. It depends solely on Emma and her interactions with other jvloggers or the TC crew.

- Pewds, however, is likely irrelevant to TC. He's Pewds, he does whatever the fuck he wants. Maybe Joseph has created a possible connection between Pewds and TC, but Pewds would really have to want to up and move to Japan to bring that to fruition. He's been saying that he wants to move there for like, a year or whatever, and still hasn't.

Posted

Here's my analysis: 

1) the core group of vloggers does their own thing and doesn't really make japan-related content anymore with any depth. 

2) TC is an elitist group of subpar creators pandering to the Facebook likes-type of video, with no real depth again, not to mention their outward disdain for most of the community

3) Pewdiepie potentially moving to Japan won't have any effect on the community IMO. 

4) General apathy toward the genre from the viewing public due to pretty much no originality 

I stopped watching a number of vloggers that I normally would watch regularly. Some just post their patreon promotions these days because all they do is get demonetized, some just make the same content over and over, and some just flat out stopped making videos. As someone who's been involved with japan for the last 10+ years, I've seen it all myself so all the '10 things to know about Japan' videos every new JET hire makes is just flat out trash at this point. 

Posted

damn looking at these summaries is kinda sad... the jvlogging glory days are well over, they're just lifestyle vloggers now. A lot of it is kinda just out of laziness now lol.  Rehashing basic shit isn't worth it and none of them want to travel into the nooks and crannies of Japan unlike Chris/AbroadinJapan whose success is mostly from showcasing the unknown parts of Japan. Plus they don't have the money to eat at bougie restaurants like Simon/Martina nor do they have the editing skills like them either lol. So they're kinda just stuck and praying Chris Okano is gonna save them through collabs lol.  

Posted

I think it's a natural progression/ end for jvlogging, because the core of jvlogging is literally 'Japan is new and exotic', and when Youtube wasn't as saturated with people vlogging in Japan as it is nowadays, that was still something that got a sizable audience.

The reason why Chris Broad does well is because he has an interest in film so his videos are usually more slick/ well planned, whereas any newbie arriving in Japan who wants to vlog literally either uses their cameraphone or is a rookie with an actual camera, nor do they get a good mic. This isn't inherently a bad thing, people get better over time, but the issue is unless they originally have the money and/ or skills with editing to make their videos look good, the uphill battle is probably too much for many new vloggers to justify spending more time and money for something that's not showing a lot of reward.

That, plus literally any new kid in Japan is just making videos about cafes and shrines, of which we have dozens of already and done by vloggers with better equipment and editing.

Posted

I feel like John Daub of Only in Japan does interesting content, as he's actually trying to go into Japan's nooks and crannies to find and share interesting things. 

Posted

I feel like John Daub of Only in Japan does interesting content, as he's actually trying to go into Japan's nooks and crannies to find and share interesting things. 

I love his videos and his almost child-like energy, you can see he really loves showing Japan and the culture. I actually watched a lot of his videos before going to Japan and ended up going to a lot of places recommended by him.

Posted (edited)

https://www.reddit.com/r/japancirclejerk/comments/cjr78e/in_which_sweatbeast_quits_his_job_accidentally/

These were the people who "accidentally" deleted their channel.  They have gotten really weird.  I used to be friends with them, but Marshs obsessions with his channel got too much for me.  And he is often expressionless like he has no emotions.  

Jesus christ... I always felt he was all about getting the views for their channel... JCJ is not good for much, but I'm glad someone had gone through and timestamped the juicy bits.

I feel sorry for her. She seems pretty damn invested into this potato sack. And he's just a man child with the biggest peter pan syndrome I've seen... his parents paid for his flight back to Australia..

He fled.. deleted instagram.. He was ready to ditch her and never come back to Japan for sure!! Poor girl. He evens lies straight to her face, live on stream, about the channel, instagram, other youtubers, money... fuck this guy is pathetic. And now he wants her to come to Australia... All the things her parents sacrificed to help them.. wow... just wow.. 

Also don't understand why they are airing this conversation... They're bringing up stuff, it seems like they haven't talked since this all unfolded. Also great to see how he tries to change subjects to distract her. Fuck man. If anyone ever feels like their lives are in the dump, this guy will make you feel like a king.

Edited by dat_osaka_boii

Posted

Let's be clear, they are legally married in Japan.  There is absolutely zero reason for him to have fled Japan.  Rina has told me that he has a spouse visa but just up and decided suddenly that he needed to go back to Australia without her.  They got married less than a year ago . She even legally changed her last name for him and that's caused her serious problems in Japan with employment and apartment hunting.  I feel so bad for her right now.  This guy is clearly using her for no reason.  

Posted

Did they ever even have an extended period where they lived together? How is it good in any way to marry someone in a LDR and expect it work out without huge amounts of work and maturity? Wtf?

Rina seems to be really young and naive...

Posted

I met Rina a few years back. She is such a sweetie but yeah her husband creeped me out big time....I hope she's okay. 

Posted (edited)

I think sweatbeast is a legit sociopath.  The way he shoes no compassion for his wife is pretty telling.  Also there was no reason for him to leave Japan unless he wanted to.  Getting an Eikaiwa job isn't hard.  Also "accidently" deleting the YT channel last year and the IG this year WTF is up with that?

Lastly that they are already talking about counseling less than a year into the marriage --- oh boy.

Mimei and Duncan seem washed up; they're so disconnected from the core group of Jvloggers...
Speaking of which....i dont even think the 'core group' is even a thing anymore...For all the jvloggers that I follow, very few seem to collab or do things anymore these days....has anyone else noticed that? 

Don't know if you can call PDRsan "washed up"  the guy had over 11million views according to social blade this month.

Edited by kanadajinganai

Posted (edited)

Don't know if you can call PDRsan "washed up"  the guy had over 11million views according to social blade this month.

He gets around 100.000 ~ 300.000 views per video (and he's got 1mio subs). Mostly it's 150.000 views tho. In rare cases 400.000 (with clickbaity titles). Thing is: he pops out super uninteresting, boring and lame videos literally every day. I don't know why anyone even bothers anymore. I wouldn't call that "good"

Edited by Minzgruen

Posted

He gets around 100.000 ~ 300.000 views per video (and he's got 1mio subs). Mostly it's 150.000 views tho. In rare cases 400.000 (with clickbaity titles). Thing is: he pops out super uninteresting, boring and lame videos literally every day. I don't know why anyone even bothers anymore. I wouldn't call that "good"

I keep up with PDR just for the kicks and the break down of his videos these days is 40% him wasting money on something for a video, 20% YT Japan stuff, either trending or news, 30% making fun of shitty life hacks/ stupid people on social media, and 10% Q&A.

He's basically at a point of quantity over quality at the moment. Before he used to do skits and those took a lot more planning/ filming/ editing, but I guess getting more views is just better for a YTer than getting quality views.