• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Jvloggers general discussion thread

1983 posts in this topic

Posted

could someone DM me a complete rundown of the Jvlogger drama that resulted in Meimei and sharla not liking each other anymore? I know what sort of happened but not fully.

Posted (edited)

could someone DM me a complete rundown of the Jvlogger drama that resulted in Meimei and sharla not liking each other anymore? I know what sort of happened but not fully.

I somewhat vaguely remember it was about Mimei not liking other jvlogger's instagram pics, so I guess they thought of it in terms of her 'not supporting' her friends enough(?). Despite not liking Sharla that much, I gotta give it to her that she sticks to her guns of not commenting on current drama and she hides it pretty well. Even when Mira went batshit crazy a few times in the past trying to bring up stuff, Sharla kept quiet. Taylor didn't comment on the drama with Mimei either, which I guess she learned from Sharla. Mimei and Duncan were the only ones who let it slip that there was drama. I think people figured out what the problem was because Bowyn (?? the Canadian with huge lip fillers) spilled the tea in twitter in an argument.

Edited by Athena

Posted

soooo petty shit...i understand. Sharla staying out of this is on par to what Sharla usually does, though. 

Posted

I think it's best if no one makes personal business public.  I don't know why youtubers have this idea that they need to air their dirty laundry online. 

Posted

I think it's best if no one makes personal business public.  I don't know why youtubers have this idea that they need to air their dirty laundry online. 

I'd say for click and views, but I think most youtube people have their heads so far up their own asses it's more likely just to stroke their own egos.. Maybe get their "fans" to huff and puff about it as well :D

Posted

I'd say for click and views, but I think most youtube people have their heads so far up their own asses it's more likely just to stroke their own egos.. Maybe get their "fans" to huff and puff about it as well :D

Posted

Am I the only one who thinks that the Mimei drama happened over more than just Instagram likes. It seems like such a petty reason to fall out. I’m sure something else must have happened for the group to turn against her like that 

Posted

Did I miss new drama? What happened with mimei now?

Posted

Did I miss new drama? What happened with mimei now?

No, I think they're talking about old drama. The reason no one seems to be friends with Mimei and Duncan anymore. But tbh, whatever happened, petty or not, I do understand why someone wouldn't want to be friends with them. They seem to be very annoying people

Posted

No, I think they're talking about old drama. The reason no one seems to be friends with Mimei and Duncan anymore. But tbh, whatever happened, petty or not, I do understand why someone wouldn't want to be friends with them. They seem to be very annoying people

Mimei and Duncan seem washed up; they're so disconnected from the core group of Jvloggers...

Speaking of which....i dont even think the 'core group' is even a thing anymore...For all the jvloggers that I follow, very few seem to collab or do things anymore these days....has anyone else noticed that? 

Posted

The group has broken up and continues to get broken up, but mostly by fresh into Japan jvloggers looking for views.  However there is a small community on Facebook where people try to arrange colabs. 

Posted

The current problem within the Jvlogging community and why it isn't growing or being nurtured as it once did is because of several reasons, which I will attempt to explain. 

1. The damage Kanadajin3 inflicted on the initial group. Details of which can be read about elsewhere, please refer to her snowflake page for full details. In essence, she made large contributors to the community very cautious of one another in general. Newer contributors who weren't present at the time and therefore detached from this history and what an uproar Mira (KJ3) caused are therefore left out from "entering" likely for over-caution (as you should be when meeting strangers from the internet) of bad, potentially dangerous, results. I think many people at this point, would rather wait for creators and vloggers to establish themselves and their content first before engaging with them, just to make sure they're of sound mind. Maybe. 
  2.  Most of them leave and cannot live as vloggers. This point has been outlined multiple times in this thread. Rache & Jun, Gimebeabreakman, Sharla, Mimei, Mikaera were all exceptions to this of course. They have careers, partnerships, and legal documents that allow them to stay. Most do not. Most newcomers are faced with the unfortunate reality of taking on menial jobs intended by the Japanese government for cheap foreign outsourcing. Very often, there are almost no prospects for career development in these jobs that many people were advised by online videos to seek just to get that first entry visa to study or work in the first place. This kind of content was popular a few years ago: "How to get to Japan". This doesn't do much for friendship building when they are just barely able to get by living, let alone paying for social outings and travel to live that idyllic vlogger-in-Japan life that Taylor R so successfully exemplified. And remember, Taylor had a very large financial backer who helped sponsor her visa, apartment, and lavish expenditures. Her contribution the the jvlogging community helped fool many, I think, to an unrealistic reality of Japanese work and living. I think a person who is doing well to avoid those current hurdles is Mikan, but there are countless others who go to Japan in the hopes of establishing themselves but ultimately fail when the hurdle for the legal right to stay gets real. Some visas require people to work in remote and unfavourable vlogging areas, away from the metropolitan interests of (sadly) most viewers.
  3. Chris Okano's very business model that attempts to restructure and monetize on the community itself, while simultaneously cultivating elitism and exclusion socially. Several people have spoken about this before, including past and current organizers within the community. He approached community events with hunger for what it potentially could be in his mind and eyes. I think a big reason why he is likely going to be successful in doing this even more than he already has been up until this point is because of Pewdiepie. Pewdiepie has expressed innumerable times about his interest in relocating his life to Japan and there are many legal immigration troubles with that, including the hardship of obtaining a long-term visa. Japan has anti-immigration laws in place, after all. But how is this tied to CEO Okano? Because Joey Bizinger (The Anime Man) is signed with him. And, Bizinger is, as you might have seen, quite close to pewdiepie and has been so for a while. Why do you think it is CEO Okano seems to have been so elated since about 2 years ago? Joey snagged a big fish for him. Some might even say... the biggest fish. Why wouldn't Okano cease on this opportunity to include himself in the barriers of Pewdiepie's move? Why wouldn't he attempt to offer piewdiepie something as precious and rare as a visa? He has everything to gain. Japan is a hierarchical society in many ways. Chirs Okano wanted to make that a reality within jvlogging for many years, and with some success now seeing his "CEO" videos now. Having Felix would only make it that much more official. Okano can't seem to hide his excitement or smugness over this. 

I think things will only get worse with time, sadly, but what are your thoughts on this?

I only glossed 3 points because I did not want to write too much.

Posted

1. The damage Kanadajin3 inflicted on the initial group. Details of which can be read about elsewhere, please refer to her snowflake page for full details. In essence, she made large contributors to the community very cautious of one another in general. Newer contributors who weren't present at the time and therefore detached from this history and what an uproar Mira (KJ3) caused are therefore left out from "entering" likely for over-caution (as you should be when meeting strangers from the internet) of bad, potentially dangerous, results. I think many people at this point, would rather wait for creators and vloggers to establish themselves and their content first before engaging with them, just to make sure they're of sound mind. Maybe.

The internet moves fast.. Kanadajin drama is ancient news and I doubt anyone except people who were personally involved or somehow got a boner out of it even remembers anymore. In the beginning of the vlogging craze, some managed to take advantage and create something great. Others failed... And I guess some managed to get there and then burn it to the ground. 9_9

There are small channels that collaborate. Like that mushiberry and rina channel or whatever they're called. But to be honest, any "new contributors" on the scene now would just be regurgitating what has already been done. If people want vlogging content that has some quality you got to look outside of the conventional vloggers. Although I did like the quality that Christy Anne Jones put out... but she was way too sensitive for me to enjoy her content... She moved back to Australia anywho.

I don't think any new channels now will have an easy time getting viewers... Too saturated.

2. Most of them leave and cannot live as vloggers. This point has been outlined multiple times in this thread. Rache & Jun, Gimebeabreakman, Sharla, Mimei, Mikaera were all exceptions to this of course. They have careers, partnerships, and legal documents that allow them to stay. Most do not. Most newcomers are faced with the unfortunate reality of taking on menial jobs intended by the Japanese government for cheap foreign outsourcing. Very often, there are almost no prospects for career development in these jobs that many people were advised by online videos to seek just to get that first entry visa to study or work in the first place. This kind of content was popular a few years ago: "How to get to Japan". This doesn't do much for friendship building when they are just barely able to get by living, let alone paying for social outings and travel to live that idyllic vlogger-in-Japan life that Taylor R so successfully exemplified. And remember, Taylor had a very large financial backer who helped sponsor her visa, apartment, and lavish expenditures. Her contribution the the jvlogging community helped fool many, I think, to an unrealistic reality of Japanese work and living. I think a person who is doing well to avoid those current hurdles is Mikan, but there are countless others who go to Japan in the hopes of establishing themselves but ultimately fail when the hurdle for the legal right to stay gets real. Some visas require people to work in remote and unfavourable vlogging areas, away from the metropolitan interests of (sadly) most viewers.

Well to be fair, anyone who travels to a foreign country after being advised by a Youtube video, thinking they'll be able to make a living as a vlogger... they get what they had coming.

Rachel and Jun seem to be over making any real content with depth.. just cat vids.. Same can be said for Sharla just rotting in her apartment. Gimmeabreakman still clings on to being the OG daddy.. Whatever... point is that most of the people that were the first wave of J-Vloggers have been doing it for 6 - 7 years.. some even longer. If they're still in Japan they're bound to be burnt out, just lost interest, wanting a new challenge... or you know, wanting to start their actual life. Being a vlogger is IMO not a career you should want to stay in when your life is started proper. Unless it's just a side gig I mean.

3. Chris Okano's very business model that attempts to restructure and monetize on the community itself, while simultaneously cultivating elitism and exclusion socially. Several people have spoken about this before, including past and current organizers within the community. He approached community events with hunger for what it potentially could be in his mind and eyes. I think a big reason why he is likely going to be successful in doing this even more than he already has been up until this point is because of Pewdiepie. Pewdiepie has expressed innumerable times about his interest in relocating his life to Japan and there are many legal immigration troubles with that, including the hardship of obtaining a long-term visa. Japan has anti-immigration laws in place, after all. But how is this tied to CEO Okano? Because Joey Bizinger (The Anime Man) is signed with him. And, Bizinger is, as you might have seen, quite close to pewdiepie and has been so for a while. Why do you think it is CEO Okano seems to have been so elated since about 2 years ago? Joey snagged a big fish for him. Some might even say... the biggest fish. Why wouldn't Okano cease on this opportunity to include himself in the barriers of Pewdiepie's move? Why wouldn't he attempt to offer piewdiepie something as precious and rare as a visa? He has everything to gain. Japan is a hierarchical society in many ways. Chirs Okano wanted to make that a reality within jvlogging for many years, and with some success now seeing his "CEO" videos now. Having Felix would only make it that much more official. Okano can't seem to hide his excitement or smugness over this.

Maybe it's just me.. But I honestly can't stand 95% of the people under the Tokyo Creative umbrella. But yeah it's created an elitist community... Actually now that I had a look at their website again, it's Gaijinpot, but with youtubers. Oh and the Tokyo Creative Learn thing is just laughable. You can find everything they cover on youtube for free, from bigger more professional channels.. even on the TC contributors channels they talk about the same shit haha :D

Also, Pewdiepie doesn't need Tokyo Creative to come to Japan. Not one bit.

Personally I watch "creators"/vloggers that make videos on topics I'm interested in. And if I like their content and personality.. I'll keep watching. But my curiosity keeps me coming back to the old faithfuls every once in a while. But it always leaves me disappointed.

Posted (edited)

I think you're right in many respects. ^^

I, too, think Pewdiepie would much rather open his own company than be bound to anyone else. He has the means, but he has said that it is very difficult nonetheless. Okano may be an easy option he might be considering with some persuasion from Mr. Anime Man. He also might not know Okano's history if he even is considering. Which, is speculative at best. Okano, nevertheless, has access to Felix simply by association at this point, which perpetuates his ideal role within the community. And, as some have criticized, his behaviour and presence offsets collaborative efforts by smaller creators to exchange ideas, socials, and possibly content. Okano even tried to close off events to those smaller creators. -sigh- 

Edited by Momijishii
Touch up.

Posted

If anything, Mira drama put a bit more entertainment and drama into an otherwise boring community. Before the falling out with the OG vlogger girls clique, so many of the people involved were like cardboard cutouts and lacked any real opinions on anything. I think people felt more able to speak their mind when it came to kanadajin3. I mean look at Sharla, before the drama she was verrrryyyy much to herself and typical happy go lucky about everything. When she came out about Mira she seemed like anmore down to earth person who actually had these normal reactions that most people would have after being backstabbed by someone she thought was her friend