• Announcements

• Recent changes to PULL   07/07/19

Hello everyone,   As promised, we're working on some changes to improve the forum and community! So far, here are the recent changes: Negative reputation has been disabled. Upvoting remains intact. This is a trial run to deal with whiteknights brigading certain topics and salty users mass-downvoting users they disagree with. Some text formatting options have been removed. Some users like to format their posts in ways that make them harder to read or downright obnoxious. (Light colors, tiny fonts, etc), so this helps make threads more readable. If you find yourself needing post formatting because you're making a new thread, please contact a mod and we will make it happen. New threads have to be approved anyway, so you're not going to have to start out with an ugly thread. Text formatting remains available to all users who have supported us via Patreon.No more threads on "Online Personalities". We will NOT lock or remove old threads, but we won't approve new threads about people who don't have any history of drama or controversies. Some threads will be moved to the snowflake sections if applicable. Read the new topic guidelines before you make a new thread.Here are our works in progress: New categories will be added. "Little Snowflakes" is too broad of a spectrum, so we're going to sort our flakes into a few sub-sections to keep things organized. We will also make more use of tags for those flakes who transcend categories. This will also allow us to appoint moderators to specific categories or snowflakes. New moderators will be onboarded soon. 

Jvloggers general discussion thread

1942 posts in this topic

Posted

Probably! I thought it was strange that he was calling himself a CEO when it's hardly a company that warrants that title. Like, is the title of CEO really so insignificant that if I start a (small) company I can call myself one?

It's very narcissistic. There are so many things in Tokyo and Japan they could be showing, but instead they decide to show Okano's apartment? Who would care about such a thing?

I would say i'm CEO of my house, but that's the Cat. At most i'm the CFO or CTO.

I met a person once who introduced themselves as the Ambassador of the Sol System. As in the Ambassador of our solar system to other solar systems....you can really just call yourself whatever. 

Posted

Our favourite Jvlogging company (sarcasm), Tokyo Creative, have enlisted other Jvloggers to participate in a monthly subscription membership program to learn how to vlog and make videos. They are using people like Sharla, Chris Broad, Joey the Anime Man, and others.

Posted (edited)

Our favourite Jvlogging company (sarcasm), Tokyo Creative, have enlisted other Jvloggers to participate in a monthly subscription membership program to learn how to vlog and make videos. They are using people like Sharla, Chris Broad, Joey the Anime Man, and others.

lmao they are fucking ridiculous. Who tf would spend that amount of money for their useless advice? What a rip off. Their “company” serves no purpose whatsoever. Maybe I sound overly bitter but Tokyo Creative/Okano serious piss me off. Something just rubs me the wrong way about him, & the company is a joke. Charging people a silly amount of money to learn information that they could get easily for free is so slimy. Learn by trial and error and free resources online! U don’t need to spend money. I’m sure none of the vloggers people look up spent money on a subscription service for advice, lmao. 

Edited by Granola

Posted

Posted

Omigosh, he's talking with his mouth open... He's gross and has no manners. And he's Canadian? I'm sad that Canada is represented by this guy, Mira, and Norm in Japan. His Japanese doesn't sound very good, really informal.

Posted

Omigosh, he's talking with his mouth open... He's gross and has no manners. And he's Canadian? I'm sad that Canada is represented by this guy, Mira, and Norm in Japan. His Japanese doesn't sound very good, really informal.

omg... I can barely make out what he is trying to say and I’m fluent in Japanese ... serious cringe 

Posted

lmao they are fucking ridiculous. Who tf would spend that amount of money for their useless advice? What a rip off. Their “company” serves no purpose whatsoever. Maybe I sound overly bitter but Tokyo Creative/Okano serious piss me off. Something just rubs me the wrong way about him, & the company is a joke. Charging people a silly amount of money to learn information that they could get easily for free is so slimy. Learn by trial and error and free resources online! U don’t need to spend money. I’m sure none of the vloggers people look up spent money on a subscription service for advice, lmao. 

A minimum of $7 a month (let's be real, 6.99 means 7) for information I can find with mediocre googling. They're cruising on their influencers' brands to make money (which is exactly what influencers are for), hoping people will shell out more bucks to see more content from their favourite jvlogger. Chris Broad literally has a patreon where the $5 tier is to be at a monthly Q&A and he answers your Qs (which, btw, I am disappointed in Chris Broad for joining TC, but whatever).

I mean:

Screen_Shot_2019-03-15_at_1.11.08_PM.thu

Chris... we know. You literally did a video with Rachel & Jun years ago about 'alternative careers' in Japan from teaching English. To save everyone 6.99:

- go to Japan

- teach English

- learn Japanese

- pass N2

- go to career fairs

- go into whatever industry interests you

Chris just tacked on having a YT channel to that process.

And as for Joey:

Screen_Shot_2019-03-15_at_1.15.00_PM.thu

akhgahgshg it makes sense that his only video we see is about selling out.

Literally nothing they're doing is ground breaking. Their YT channel is just slice of life interviews with people doing a 'fun' task. Their website is just repackaging various pieces of information their influencers have already done in some form of other (Chris Broad very frequently makes purely informative videos where he answers people's questions), or advice from people I wouldn't even ask where the post office was if they were standing in front of it (Joey).

Oh and finally, their website isn't even that slick. There's text boxes where the text bleeds out of the box confines.

Posted (edited)

Literally nothing they're doing is ground breaking. Their YT channel is just slice of life interviews with people doing a 'fun' task. Their website is just repackaging various pieces of information their influencers have already done in some form of other (Chris Broad very frequently makes purely informative videos where he answers people's questions), or advice from people I wouldn't even ask where the post office was if they were standing in front of it (Joey).

Yup I agree 110%.  They aren't giving you anything that isn't widely available for free.  Don't know if any of you caught their live stream but the audio and video quality were terrible.  Which wouldn't normally a big deal but when part of what your selling is video production you'd think they would at least have some, you know, decent video production.

Also "English teacher to CEO the secrets to my success."  LMAO - full of yourself much Chris?

Edited by kanadajinganai

Posted

Okano comes across as one of the most vain people I've ever seen. I said this over on Sharla's thread, but the whole Tokyo Creative thing comes across as a massive vanity project for him and the influencers he has involved. He talks and acts like some massive influencer but his channel and the TC channel aren't what I'd say are an influencer level of subs. He just completely rubs me the wrong way, he comes off so full of himself. 

Posted

I want to know how this colab started.  Did they come together with this idea or were they contacted? If the latter, then I wonder who they asked before settling on these jvloggers

Posted

I want to know how this colab started.  Did they come together with this idea or were they contacted? If the latter, then I wonder who they asked before settling on these jvloggers

I think it was mostly Okano's doing, he probably contacted the most popular jvloggers out there with the offer to give them a platform to exchange ideas and experiences, to give them a network that allows them to easily produce videos together, do collaborations and sponsorships. Something equal to companies like UUUM but mainly for foreigners. Considering that most of them were friends beforehand, they probably just tagged along.

Posted

omg.. there's a full 1 minute plug from 1.21 to 2.21 of TC learn... kill me now

ALSO THIS IS GREAT!!! THEY'RE PERPETUATING MORONIC URBAN LEGENDS WITHOUT CLEARING SHIT UP!!!

Screen_Shot_2019-03-16_at_7.19.07_PM.thu

Screen_Shot_2019-03-16_at_7.19.20_PM.thu

Every prefecture has their local laws on this matter, and so the age is almost always 16.

Screen_Shot_2019-03-16_at_7.22.20_PM.thu

Posted

Ugh. 

I always thought Chris Broad was pretty cool and kind of just did his own thing. He makes really nice and informative videos and seems (seemed?) Quite professional. He's the only one of the bunch that I'd consider an "influencer" just based off his subs and quality, but I'm not even sure if I'd consider him one because the whole Jvlogger scene is a bit of a niche. 

But the other ones...they're honestly just people with a video camera in a foreign country who happened to get somewhat popular in this niche YouTube circle....what a rip off to pay for that.

I'm also kind of disappointed that Chris Broad joined TC. It seems so below him. And Sharla too...I'm not a fan of her or her content, but she could do so much better? 

Like others have said, Chris Okana is so...skeevy? He seems a little off, to be honest. I don't trust him at all. And his business is such a joke.

Just because you live in Japan and make YT videos does not mean you need to be sucked into this weird company.

Posted

I find it even weirder how Kim Dao constantly goes to Japan for Tokyo Creative.

Posted

Ugh. 

I always thought Chris Broad was pretty cool and kind of just did his own thing. He makes really nice and informative videos and seems (seemed?) Quite professional. He's the only one of the bunch that I'd consider an "influencer" just based off his subs and quality, but I'm not even sure if I'd consider him one because the whole Jvlogger scene is a bit of a niche. 

But the other ones...they're honestly just people with a video camera in a foreign country who happened to get somewhat popular in this niche YouTube circle....what a rip off to pay for that.

I'm also kind of disappointed that Chris Broad joined TC. It seems so below him. And Sharla too...I'm not a fan of her or her content, but she could do so much better? 

Like others have said, Chris Okana is so...skeevy? He seems a little off, to be honest. I don't trust him at all. And his business is such a joke.

Just because you live in Japan and make YT videos does not mean you need to be sucked into this weird company.

I think Sharla got sucked in because of her friendship with Chris Broad. And I think Chris is there more out a friendship with Chris Okano than whether it's a good business move. I think they all got pulled in by the Odigo thing a couple years back. That was pushed by Chris Okano, if I understand. 

As for the age of consent thing, I hope they made it clear that it's never practiced. As @redbowkiki said, each prefecture has their own. No, it is not legally going to be okay to do stuff with a 13 year old. Ask a certain recent Japan celebrity about that. He got busted going to a karaoke place with (I believe) a sixteen year old. He was in his 40s at the time. He's in huge trouble for it and likely to lose his job if his apology tour fails.  

He's one of several in the past couple years who got caught going out with minors and lost their jobs for it. So yeah even if you might legally be okay you'll still lose your job and face severe censure if one dates below the age of eighteen in Japan.  And again if the parents aren't okay with it, you will face legal problems as well.

Hint: most aren't okay with it.