• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Jvloggers general discussion thread

1972 posts in this topic

Posted

What happened to all of lovelymilkys old videos? 

Posted

What happened to all of lovelymilkys old videos? 

I think she put them on private.. she keeps doubting wether or not she wanted to do youtube or not.

Posted

Can I just say... I feel Tokyo Creative makes the laziest content on their main channel. The only stuff I watch is the behind the scenes for cycling across Japan.

The one they did with the competitive eater Aya, they just bought 1 of everything from McDonald's and it was just... so boring. I don't even know what it is though, because I like Emma, I like watching Yuka eat huge amounts of food, but seeing it on TC just makes me lose interest. I think it's because the TC channel isn't doing anything new in any way. It's literally just putting YTers together (who would've collabed together anyway) on 1 channel and doing things that they would already be doing on their original channels.

And it just fucking rubs me the wrong way when they make videos like 'how to pick up Japanese men/women!'. I know it's supposed to be a joke but it really doesn't help when most of their viewership are probably white kids with yellow fever.

I think this is what happens when channels get popular/ try to gain more subs so instead of turning out any form of quality content that just churn out easy to make videos instead.

Posted

Can I just say... I feel Tokyo Creative makes the laziest content on their main channel. The only stuff I watch is the behind the scenes for cycling across Japan.

The one they did with the competitive eater Aya, they just bought 1 of everything from McDonald's and it was just... so boring. I don't even know what it is though, because I like Emma, I like watching Yuka eat huge amounts of food, but seeing it on TC just makes me lose interest. I think it's because the TC channel isn't doing anything new in any way. It's literally just putting YTers together (who would've collabed together anyway) on 1 channel and doing things that they would already be doing on their original channels.

And it just fucking rubs me the wrong way when they make videos like 'how to pick up Japanese men/women!'. I know it's supposed to be a joke but it really doesn't help when most of their viewership are probably white kids with yellow fever.

I think this is what happens when channels get popular/ try to gain more subs so instead of turning out any form of quality content that just churn out easy to make videos instead.

Their latest video is "What does the Tokyo Creative office look like?"  And it is such a snooze. They don't go into anything informative like renting the space or starting a small business in Japan. It's just them acting goofy in what is clearly an apartment they rented and use as an office.  

I'd be more interested in videos about how to prepare for an interview in Japanese. How to fill out a resume or get your VISA forms. Things that could a be resource to rely on.  All they want to do is the usual jvlogger stuff that anyone with a camera can do in their apartment. 

Heck if they're going to build themselves around the jvloggers, why not do some biographies like, "E! The True Emma Story".  

TC is nothing but "A bunch of jvloggers get together and do what jvloggers usually do... but together!" 

The biggest problem is that viewers are only going to be interested in the videos that have a jvlogger they like, not the video themselves. If you like Emma, you watch only the ones with Emma. Same with Chris. 

They need to bring in an outsider, not just some more jvloggers, to get a fresh angle on things and shake things up. 

Or heck they could bring in aspiring artists and musicians in Japan or have people who talk about drawing in the manga industry. 

Posted

all my friends in tokyo's YT community complain about them but for good reason...they go to events but stick to themselves, are excessively snooty and arrogant...it's really just Okano and Norm just bragging and making the cringiest things I've ever seen in my life. See, as someone who lives in the USA but has a lot of experience in Japan, I often look at youtubers who make stuff FROM japan to sorta keep up with the country...this stuff from Tokyo Creative would make Buzzfeed look like a Pulitzer-worthy organization. 

Posted (edited)

all my friends in tokyo's YT community complain about them but for good reason...they go to events but stick to themselves, are excessively snooty and arrogant...it's really just Okano and Norm just bragging and making the cringiest things I've ever seen in my life. See, as someone who lives in the USA but has a lot of experience in Japan, I often look at youtubers who make stuff FROM japan to sorta keep up with the country...this stuff from Tokyo Creative would make Buzzfeed look like a Pulitzer-worthy organization. 

Norm and Okana rub me the wrong way, and I wish there were more dirt about them on this site. Like, I see them present themselves one way, but I hear how much of a dick they seem to actually be. Would it be possible to not invite them and Tokyo Creative to these events if they act cliquey and condescending? They're not that good nor special (their content sucks) so their attitude is unwarranted...

On another note about Jvloggers, is it common for them to not speak Japanese well even after being in Japan for a couple of years? I saw the video TK did about the Unko Kanji series, and was a bit surprised that they admitted to not knowing all or most kanji despite living in Japan. How are are their other language skills? I've been studying by myself without ever having been to Japan, and I feel like I might be better than they are. Is it really easy to live in Japan and not learn the language?

Edited by Xinxinsong

Posted

Norm and Okana rub me the wrong way, and I wish there were more dirt about them on this site. Like, I see them present themselves one way, but I hear how much of a dick they seem to actually be. Would it be possible to not invite them and Tokyo Creative to these events if they act cliquey and condescending? They're not that good nor special (their content sucks) so their attitude is unwarranted...

On another note about Jvloggers, is it common for them to not speak Japanese well even after being in Japan for a couple of years? I saw the video TK did about the Unko Kanji series, and was a bit surprised that they admitted to not knowing all or most kanji despite living in Japan. How are are their other language skills? I've been studying by myself without ever having been to Japan, and I feel like I might be better than they are. Is it really easy to live in Japan and not learn the language?

most of them are actually pretty bad at Japanese, I didn’t actually realize how bad they were until I became fluent and notice it. When I was first starting to learn Japanese I idolized Jvloggers like sharla because to my untrained ear it was so amazing that she could speak full sentences and have conversations. Now when I hear 99% of Jvloggers speak in Japanese they sound so awkward and stilted, with really thick accents despite living in the country for so many years. Honestly the ONLY Jvloggers I’ve found with really impressive Japanese & good accents are Natalia Natchan and KemushiChan (Loretta). Why are they so good? Probably because they were in circumstances (school and work) where they simply had to communicate in Japanese. But most jvloggers are English teachers or make a living using only English at their jobs, so there’s no sense of necessity or stakes to improving their Japanese. 

Personally it’s not easy to get by without knowing Japanese, but I am someone who values independence and wants to  understand everything myself without being catered to. (Honestly I felt like a child when I had to have people translate for me—I hated that feeling so it motivated me to become fluent) From my experience most foreigners in Japan seem to not mind living in an English bubble though. 

Tbh it kind of rubs me the wrong way to see people like Okano living in Japan, making a career out of promoting Japanese culture, and not even being able to speak the damn language... pretty embarrassing if you ask me. It’s like they’re looking at Japan through a glass wall—You can never be truly immersed in a culture and society without understanding the language, simple as that. 

Posted

Her ex Japanese boyfriend was physically abusive. I rememebr her calling me afraid he would kill her. It was horrible.

That sucks. She seems like such a sweet girl. :/

I know it's weird to understand for some people why others would exclude dating people from a certain culture/race/country, but PTSD is a very serious and complex thing. If you've felt endangered before, then it's totally valid to want to avoid the tiny possibility of that happening again. Our brain tends to make connections and it's hard to stray away from that. Happy to hear she's over that, though.

Posted (edited)

Sorry for double post but has anyone else watched Okano’s newest video? It looks like him and his team(?) are moving to Los Angeles. He said this summer they’re starting “Los Angeles Creative”, as well as making videos about how to be an influencer in Japan. He goes on about how it makes sense from a business perspective to have his primarily Japanese culture brand based in.... California o.O

A lot of people are leaving nice comments like “we watch you for your personality, it’s okay if you move! Do what’s best for you.” But let’s be real, his channel will be dead as soon as he leaves japan. 

Edited by Granola

Posted (edited)

Sorry for double post but has anyone else watched Okano’s newest video? It looks like him and his team(?) are moving to Los Angeles. He said this summer they’re starting “Los Angeles Creative”, as well as making videos about how to be an influencer in Japan. He goes on about how it makes sense from a business perspective to have his primarily Japanese culture brand based in.... California o.O

A lot of people are leaving nice comments like “we watch you for your personality, it’s okay if you move! Do what’s best for you.” But let’s be real, his channel will be dead as soon as he leaves japan. 

I saw that. Their channel won't do very well. I mean, it's been just over a year since Tokyo Creative's channel was started (and over 5 years since Okano made his channel) and they only have 61k subscribers each... Let's be honest, they're not really "influencers", don't have good content, and aren't that successful, which makes no sense that Chris and Norm would be condescending towards others.

But I get Chris wanting to be closer to his family, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Xinxinsong

Posted

Goes to show that all the cameras and money in the world don't necessarily produce great content.  All of their talking head stuff with Shizuka etc etc was so fucking boring.  People want to see videos about Japan not videos based around the "talent".  Chris is the guy with all the money.  If he goes back to California the whole thing will implode IMO.

Posted

Let’s be honest, Chris just missed his family & his home in LA so he made an excuse to move back there, convincing himself that it would be good for his company. I’m no expert but its definitey not a good business move. The market for ALL entertainment in Los Angeles is insanely saturated, and honestly the whole business idea of “Tokyo/Los Angeles Creative” doesn’t seem like it has potential to me. Influencers don’t need some company making videos about them and discussing random topics. The actual influencers already do that on their own channels, in more interesting ways! Besides, most Western viewers are not interested in Los Angeles, and the people who are probably already watch infinitely more engaging/rich/successful youtubers based in LA. Tokyo Creative only has subscribers because their target audience of English speakers are interested in japan. Honesty I’ve watched many of their (often boring) videos just because I love japan and want to see more of it. 

Posted

Wait what happened to Tokyo Creative? Are they shutting down, or is Okano just opening up a branch in LA? 

Posted

What was the point of Tokyo Creative? I went to their website and noticed they had quite a few Jvloggers working with them, but the info on their website like this stuff here seems like they're making claims they haven't really proven to be capable of. Rather, many of their "influencers" were far more successful than Chris Okano and TC without their help. Besides being friends beforehand, what's the benefit to the influencers to join with Tokyo Creative? TC hasn't even been making that much content themselves, so I can't understand how they're really a successful company... or necessary, even?

Does anyone have any insight?

Posted

What was the point of Tokyo Creative? I went to their website and noticed they had quite a few Jvloggers working with them, but the info on their website like this stuff here seems like they're making claims they haven't really proven to be capable of. Rather, many of their "influencers" were far more successful than Chris Okano and TC without their help. Besides being friends beforehand, what's the benefit to the influencers to join with Tokyo Creative? TC hasn't even been making that much content themselves, so I can't understand how they're really a successful company... or necessary, even?

Does anyone have any insight?

I know a few people in Japan who have worked for them...basically it's as you said, they're full of steam.