• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

Jvloggers general discussion thread

1936 posts in this topic

Posted

Tokyo creative was planning something but I'm not sure if they will or not.  It hasn't been formally announced so I wonder if they gave up. 

Posted

Ok I mean no ill intention so plz dont @ me but 

Hidden Content

Offffffffffffffffffffffff.....

It was unexpected. Got blocked by Zach first, then three more (one of them who's not even involved in this, like a third wheeler?)

Just...oooofffffffff...I honestly thought it was to deter strange men from Sophie. I'm extremely shocked by this sudden news.

Quite interesting he ran away and blocked me instead of explaining things to me. Great job, Zach!

Posted

Yeah, their CEO is a mess and their retail/work culture is awful. Here's a smattering (its from 2013 but friends who work for the company still say the environment is toxic): https://www.fastcompany.com/3021367/a-shocking-retrospective-of-the-lululemon-founders-many-offensive-comments

Taylor did work hard on herself, it's been great to see! There was a spell of time it seemed like she had some body dysmorphia, which was worrying, but she seems to be in such a better place now. I do pop her on in the background when I'm doing chores/at work (I work from home like she does). And it's okay to like someone for liking someone! A lot of jvloggers don't show Japan as I know it, if that makes sense? But your comment has me wanting to sit down and give Osharegirl another go! I like LoveLyzKelly's recent series; that's my life as I know it. Idk if she's problematic though, y'all will have to inform me! xD 

A little off topic, but I really like LoveLyzKelly. She's so real compared to other youtubers and doesn't sugar coat anything. I feel she's a bit lonely in Japan though which makes me sad. 

Posted (edited)

A little off topic, but I really like LoveLyzKelly. She's so real compared to other youtubers and doesn't sugar coat anything. I feel she's a bit lonely in Japan though which makes me sad. 

to be honest I find her a little too emotional? Like watching her videos kind of stresses me out cause I can see a lot of anxiety/loneliness in her voice and face. It’s great that she’s open with her emotions though it’s just a little much for me personally. 

I have never been in an abusive relationship so I might just not understand, but I find it odd that she refuses to date ALL Japanese men now after being in one abusive relationship with a Japanese man. I’m not downplaying what she went through at all, but refusing to date any of the native men in the country you live in? So she will only give gaijin men a chance, even though she’s expressed interest in dating and finding a partner. It seems like a recipe for loneliness to me  :alpacasad:

Edited by Granola

Posted (edited)

to be honest I find her a little too emotional? Like watching her videos kind of stresses me out cause I can see a lot of anxiety/loneliness in her voice and face. It’s great that she’s open with her emotions though it’s just a little much for me personally. 

I have never been in an abusive relationship so I might just not understand, but I find it odd that she refuses to date ALL Japanese men now after being in one abusive relationship with a Japanese man. I’m not downplaying what she went through at all, but refusing to date all the native men in the country you live in? So she will only give gaijin men a chance, even though she’s expressed interest in dating and finding a partner. It seems like a recipe for loneliness to me  :alpacasad:

it seems to be a popular trend these days, but i mostly see it regarding girls who were.. "kinda" hurt. i know a Korean girl who is now an extreme feminist, constantly goes on about how much she hates men and refuses to date any man because she's been treated poorly, like.. simply because the guys had a shitty attitude/personality (not abusive). 

that being said, I haven't seen all of her videos so I wasn't aware of her situation, but lyz's case seems worse than a simple bad attitude and i've been sexually abused too so i understand it. however, i didn't shut out every man who shared his race and i hope eventually she will see that not every Japanese man is bad. 

Edited by 츄
word

Posted

I think when women shut men out of their lives it's a type of coping mechanism. Like they feel a sense of control in their lives when they had no control otherwise. 

Posted

I have never been in an abusive relationship so I might just not understand, but I find it odd that she refuses to date ALL Japanese men now after being in one abusive relationship with a Japanese man. I’m not downplaying what she went through at all, but refusing to date any of the native men in the country you live in? So she will only give gaijin men a chance, even though she’s expressed interest in dating and finding a partner. It seems like a recipe for loneliness to me  :alpacasad:

The only girls I watch on Youtube are Osharegirl and lovelyz but I guess cause I am friend of hers from Michigan. She has a Japanese boyfriend now and I have never seen her more happy! She is also definitely not lonely.  I remember her telling me she wanted to create a series where shes not always surrounded by people because it is unrealistic. But she always shares photos of her with friends out having fun on her personal facebook. I also remember her finally escaping the drama of the bigger Youtubers. There was a lot that went on that I will never share since she asked me not to but I know her personally and I can't wait to see her blossom through this series. Her ex Japanese boyfriend was physically abusive. I rememebr her calling me afraid he would kill her. It was horrible. so then it triggered something in her head whenever she went on a date with a Japanese guy kind of similar to PTSD. But now she met someone who is full Japanese and a native speaker but he is Americanized which I think helps so much. Sorry Im more of a reader on this site and less of a commenter. But Osharegirl and Kelly are the ones I seem to binge the most. I am starting to like Currently Hannah too. Jenn's content is very realistic in my opinion. I just like more real, less edited stuff. I think you guys should watch both of them! It is good to see how people live without constantly going out and spending money, drinking with friends, having to go to an event all the time. It is refreshing to me tbh :D.

Posted (edited)

The only girls I watch on Youtube are Osharegirl and lovelyz but I guess cause I am friend of hers from Michigan. She has a Japanese boyfriend now and I have never seen her more happy! She is also definitely not lonely.  I remember her telling me she wanted to create a series where shes not always surrounded by people because it is unrealistic. But she always shares photos of her with friends out having fun on her personal facebook. I also remember her finally escaping the drama of the bigger Youtubers. There was a lot that went on that I will never share since she asked me not to but I know her personally and I can't wait to see her blossom through this series. Her ex Japanese boyfriend was physically abusive. I rememebr her calling me afraid he would kill her. It was horrible. so then it triggered something in her head whenever she went on a date with a Japanese guy kind of similar to PTSD. But now she met someone who is full Japanese and a native speaker but he is Americanized which I think helps so much. Sorry Im more of a reader on this site and less of a commenter. But Osharegirl and Kelly are the ones I seem to binge the most. I am starting to like Currently Hannah too. Jenn's content is very realistic in my opinion. I just like more real, less edited stuff. I think you guys should watch both of them! It is good to see how people live without constantly going out and spending money, drinking with friends, having to go to an event all the time. It is refreshing to me tbh :D.

Thanks for explaining, it sounds like she went through something horrible with her ex :( I watched her recent videos and she’s changed a lot for the better! She seems happier and the video quality has improved too. I wish her the best in the future :) 

Edited by Granola

Posted

So it seems lesweetpea is now a jvlogger since she’s moved to Tokyo and is making Japanese related content on YouTube 

Posted

Have you guys heard of Currently Hannah?

I just found her and I think she makes really beautiful videos. I'm a little confused about her history in Japan though...?

In this vid from a couple days ago, she says it's her 5th year living in Japan (1:30)

Then in this video from Apr 2018, she says she moved to Japan 6 years ago (0:10)

But in her very first vid 2016 Oct, she says she's currently living in Singapore (1:15)

She does mention in a vid from Jan 2018 where she announces that she's moving to Tokyo that she used to live in Osaka.

I don't think it's intentional, but she makes it sound like she's been here for 5-6 consecutive years in those videos when she obviously hasn't. (I think Sharla does something similar?) At first I was excited to see somebody who's been in Japan for a while still going out and doing things...

Does anybody know what her longest period of time consecutively living in Japan was?

Posted

She might be doing what sharla does and calls visits "years".  It's like people try to sound important and knowledgeable when they do that.  It's annoying. 

Posted (edited)

Re: the drama shared from that discord thing 
1) is this REALLY drama? I met both Shiverz and her BF at the YouTube Hanami years back...im sorta surprised you didn't know they're dating Naruru...you'd think if they were together for this long she'd know that he'd be married...and also that's just your opinion. people live their own lives. Not really important or pertinent to this thread tho since it's just interpersonal relationships

2) I don't use discord; is that board more active than here? lol

Re: people using experience as a thing of honor in Japan:
I hate when people do that. I lived in Japan for the better part of 4 and a half years, but spread out over 8 years. Even part of that is just temporary assignments in Tokyo or Osaka. 

When people asked me though how long I live I don't say 8 years, I don't even say 4 1/2.... i don't really reply...it's hard to codify experience. People can have valid 'experiences' studying about japan while still maintaining a permanent residence in a different country. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 2.23.57 PM.png

Edited by SkyCat99
having troubles with the spoiler

Posted

Hidden Content

Re: people using experience as a thing of honor in Japan:
I hate when people do that. I lived in Japan for the better part of 4 and a half years, but spread out over 8 years. Even part of that is just temporary assignments in Tokyo or Osaka. 

When people asked me though how long I live I don't say 8 years, I don't even say 4 1/2.... i don't really reply...it's hard to codify experience. People can have valid 'experiences' studying about japan while still maintaining a permanent residence in a different country. 

Screen Shot 2018-05-07 at 2.23.57 PM.png

Yeah, I'm the same. If I'm pushed, just say "this many in Tokyo, this many in Osaka...maybe" and laugh it off. I've lived here on and off for seven years, as my company moved me home for a while, then I got hitched and they let me work from home now. I definitely don't count my time away or my vacations before I officially moved though, how odd??? xD

Posted

TokyoSam is outties. For good, or on holiday? 

and_nothing_of_value.jpg