• Announcements

• Negative Reputation   08/03/19

We've heard you loud and clear - negative reputation is back. Remember that it's still against the rules to complain about being downvoted - if you think someone's mass-downvoting posts or otherwise abusing the reputation system, DM a mod and we will take care of it.

Jvloggers general discussion thread

2005 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm kinda tired of Fukubukuro videos :notimp:

Posted

I'm kinda tired of Fukubukuro videos :notimp:

same tbh I know it's an easy cash-grab for vloggers but it's just not that fun watching people unbox shit they didn't actually want in the first place. I miss the days when people would at least get brands or things they knew and liked, but now it's just a rush to get as many as possible seemingly regardless of what those bags are.

Posted

If you watch the Japanese youtubers they actually know what they are getting cuz they can read Japanese (duh). But they are exciting to watch even if you don't know much Japanese.  Sasaki Asahi is my favorite Japanese YouTuber. She had cute reactions to everything she got.  Like, immediately putting on each item of clothing she received. 

Posted

I would instantly watch Sasaki Asahi if she had subtitles on her vlog. But as it is... I just don't undertsand a word. She is so sweet though.

As for the fukubukuro videos: I think the worst this year are Kim's videos. She got a bunch of bags, but doesn't seem to be excited about any of them. It wasn't even fun to watch her.

Osharegirl at least got two bags from brands that fit her overall style. And Taylor B chose a sports brand she loves (and liked all the items)

@Nonamesan: Do all brands tell you what's inside the lucky bags beforehand? I thought some things were kept a secret?

Posted

As for the fukubukuro videos: I think the worst this year are Kim's videos. She got a bunch of bags, but doesn't seem to be excited about any of them. It wasn't even fun to watch her.

Osharegirl at least got two bags from brands that fit her overall style. And Taylor B chose a sports brand she loves (and liked all the items)

I tried watching Kim's videos (they were in my subscriptions and I didn't even know I was still sub'd, lol) and I just couldn't. Also, did she change the title for her Pokemon fukubukuro video? 

As for Osharegirl, I'm definitely biased because she's my favourite YouTuber at the moment, even though she didn't like everything, I feel like she also tries to incorporate things into her wardrobe instead of just complaining about how it sucked / just trying to get videos by putting "Japanese lucky bag" in the title.

Fukubukuros unboxing are fun to watch, but only if the vloggers are interested in the brand to begin with.

Posted

@Risa. If they don't announce it before hand, then on the day you go the store will have signs telling you what's in there, or have a display showcasing what is in the bags.  Most of the time, you have to read the tags to know what's in them. You won't know the color or style though.  That's the only secret part.  

The issue with jvloggers is that they pretend to know Japanese, but can't read their own tags.  I watched a few jvloggers open lucky bags, and most of them didn't know what they got.  Including osharegirl.  She kept looking at the tags confused, yet insists she understands Japanese in other videos.  The tags are in basic katakana or hiragana! It's not that hard to read. 

Posted

Yeah, I feel like 2019 has been lackluster in the quality of things vloggers got from their fukubukuro? Also, I don't know if its as you said - because I'm over them or something else - but I can't help but think the lack of enthusiasm from vloggers themselves doesn't help in getting excited by their fukubukuro's videos either.

In 2018, there were many bags I really wanted too but this year, seeing the selection of things some of them got, I thought 'Meh, not a great value'.

I got quite a few, it's kind of a hobby for me/friends and family share them with me - only two really let me down (one being the most expensive ofc), one was meh and two were out of this world (like over ¥100,000 in value). I felt like even the businesses were meh about the whole thing this year, too.

@Risa. If they don't announce it before hand, then on the day you go the store will have signs telling you what's in there, or have a display showcasing what is in the bags.  Most of the time, you have to read the tags to know what's in them. You won't know the color or style though.  That's the only secret part.  

The issue with jvloggers is that they pretend to know Japanese, but can't read their own tags.  I watched a few jvloggers open lucky bags, and most of them didn't know what they got.  Including osharegirl.  She kept looking at the tags confused, yet insists she understands Japanese in other videos.  The tags are in basic katakana or hiragana! It's not that hard to read. 

Mine don't say on the tag what they are, but they give you an idea on the website/shop - "9 items and two accessories" etc, but not "two dresses, four pants, one shirt" etc as it's mostly free stock so shit from the backroom and a mix - eg I knew one brand would either have a coat or a dress as the "big" item plus a mix of other crap after seeing the layouts on New Year's Day on Twitter; I got the dress so I went on Twitter after and swapped with others who got the same brand (but I speak enough Japanese to do so, I guess). I tend to get a mix of you-know-what-you're-getting bags and blind bags (just for fun). I know to avoid Village Vanguard after being burned two years in a row, what a bunch of crap! 

Osharegirl's videos were a mess. I don't get her, but I don't think I'm her target market. 

Posted

I got quite a few, it's kind of a hobby for me/friends and family share them with me - only two really let me down (one being the most expensive ofc), one was meh and two were out of this world (like over ¥100,000 in value). I felt like even the businesses were meh about the whole thing this year, too.

Mine don't say on the tag what they are, but they give you an idea on the website/shop - "9 items and two accessories" etc, but not "two dresses, four pants, one shirt" etc as it's mostly free stock so shit from the backroom and a mix - eg I knew one brand would either have a coat or a dress as the "big" item plus a mix of other crap after seeing the layouts on New Year's Day on Twitter; I got the dress so I went on Twitter after and swapped with others who got the same brand (but I speak enough Japanese to do so, I guess). I tend to get a mix of you-know-what-you're-getting bags and blind bags (just for fun). I know to avoid Village Vanguard after being burned two years in a row, what a bunch of crap! 

Osharegirl's videos were a mess. I don't get her, but I don't think I'm her target market. 

Oooh thanks for the answer! I'd rather stay with our sales here in France then, at least I know what I'm getting. There's too big a margin for disappointment with fukubukuros for me to want them lol. But if you like most of what you got, that's great.

As for Osharegirl I guess I'm not the target either. After some of you mentioned her vids I went to have a look and I found them a bit... bleh? Maybe it's her fashion sense (which is not my taste - the green skirt was ugly and so were these f*cking puffy coats I can't stand no more) or her whole mood but I'm not excited by anything she has to offer. Her and her friends (like Taylor) ain't my cup of tea either.

Maybe I'm over mostly white girls in Japan I guess?

Posted

Oooh thanks for the answer! I'd rather stay with our sales here in France then, at least I know what I'm getting. There's too big a margin for disappointment with fukubukuros for me to want them lol. But if you like most of what you got, that's great.

As for Osharegirl I guess I'm not the target either. After some of you mentioned her vids I went to have a look and I found them a bit... bleh? Maybe it's her fashion sense (which is not my taste - the green skirt was ugly and so were these f*cking puffy coats I can't stand no more) or her whole mood but I'm not excited by anything she has to offer. Her and her friends (like Taylor) ain't my cup of tea either.

Maybe I'm over mostly white girls in Japan I guess?

It can be a crapshoot for sure, but fam/friends who don't live here love them so we usually split them, cost and items. It's also hell on earth to go buy them, so I tend to stick to the ones I can pre-order these days thus stay inside my house #oldwomanyellsatcloud lol

Yeah, her style isn't my style, but most Jvloggers seem to be either super JFashion or North Face wearing Lululemon fukubukuro buying basic people (again, that company has issues, so I was suprised to see Taylor supporting them but...she did buy a breeder dog so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ who knows with her. Maybe she's just finding her way, idk. She still irks me after her Plus Size Fukubukuro video from last year). And I totally agree, I'm over white girls in Japan and I am one LMAO.

Posted

Wait wait wait, what plus size fukubukuro? I never heard anything about that one? Did I miss something from last year? What happened?

Posted (edited)

Jvlogging... I find it boring? Many of the videos repeat  the same topic/location/style of content.... cool it's not like I watched the same topic 20 times already. I may be biased but I find many of the girl vloggers boring to me.  Maybe it's because I'm not the demographic they sought out since they're more feminine, talk about fashion, etc and I'm... neither of those things.   Nothing wrong with that. But also there really isn't new topics being brought up in these vlogs. I would like to see a diversity of interests like female bodybuilding in Japan, women who like motorcycles and what biker culture in Japan is like, women who are polyglots/who want to be polyglots, just a few ideas.

Edited by PineappleVera

Posted

Wait wait wait, what plus size fukubukuro? I never heard anything about that one? Did I miss something from last year? What happened?

(She looked a bit heavier then so I guess she went on diet / started exercising in 2018?)

(She looked a bit heavier then so I guess she went on diet / started exercising in 2018?)

Posted

Wait Lululemon  is problematic? I didn't know that!

And yes, Taylor lost quite some weight during the last year. Good for her, honestly, also from what I saw she did it in a healthy way: work out and proper nutrition.

I like osharegirl for something very simple: I like her. She seems to be pretty real and not fake. And after the whole Talyor R-Kim-Mimei-Sharla jvlogger yawn fake fest I was kinda surprised to find normal people vlogging there. I can understand that for some it's boring, but these two and also Loretta basically vlog their lives their. Osharegirl works after all and is married to a Japanese man. Loretta makes content about university. Here and there they travel and go out. I can see how this is boring, but I like watching it, because it feels genuine. And with all three of them I have the feeling they do target an audience 20+ (not teens unlike Taylor or Kim)

Of course for someone looking for a different kind of content (like cars and bikers like pineappleVera said, or even travel vlogs, I would definitely watch someone else. Taylor and osharegirl are mostly about daily life, cooking, working out, hanging out, fashion. ^^

Posted

Wait Lululemon  is problematic? I didn't know that!

And yes, Taylor lost quite some weight during the last year. Good for her, honestly, also from what I saw she did it in a healthy way: work out and proper nutrition.

I like osharegirl for something very simple: I like her. She seems to be pretty real and not fake. And after the whole Talyor R-Kim-Mimei-Sharla jvlogger yawn fake fest I was kinda surprised to find normal people vlogging there. I can understand that for some it's boring, but these two and also Loretta basically vlog their lives their. Osharegirl works after all and is married to a Japanese man. Loretta makes content about university. Here and there they travel and go out. I can see how this is boring, but I like watching it, because it feels genuine. And with all three of them I have the feeling they do target an audience 20+ (not teens unlike Taylor or Kim)

Of course for someone looking for a different kind of content (like cars and bikers like pineappleVera said, or even travel vlogs, I would definitely watch someone else. Taylor and osharegirl are mostly about daily life, cooking, working out, hanging out, fashion. ^^

Yeah, their CEO is a mess and their retail/work culture is awful. Here's a smattering (its from 2013 but friends who work for the company still say the environment is toxic): https://www.fastcompany.com/3021367/a-shocking-retrospective-of-the-lululemon-founders-many-offensive-comments

Taylor did work hard on herself, it's been great to see! There was a spell of time it seemed like she had some body dysmorphia, which was worrying, but she seems to be in such a better place now. I do pop her on in the background when I'm doing chores/at work (I work from home like she does). And it's okay to like someone for liking someone! A lot of jvloggers don't show Japan as I know it, if that makes sense? But your comment has me wanting to sit down and give Osharegirl another go! I like LoveLyzKelly's recent series; that's my life as I know it. Idk if she's problematic though, y'all will have to inform me! xD 

Posted

Looks like the hanami was announced! March 30. 

https://www.facebook.com/events/376865749790097/

Looks like its already getting a good response. Whatever happened to the Tokyo Creative thing? wasn't there a rumor of them taking the Hanami over?