• Announcements

• Site Maintenance   05/14/19

Hi all, We're currently working on anti-spam measures, you might see some outages. Please don't panic! We should be back to normal by tomorrow. 

Jvloggers general discussion thread

1936 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I posted on Mimei's thread about their kitten, and was suggested to post here (full disclosure, I didn't read this thread, and don't watch Jvloggers, but feel free to ask me questions, or even ask for advice! below is a copy/paste of what I wrote on the Mimei thread (so all about cats, but I mainly volunteered for dogs):

I volunteer in several shelters in Japan and we are all overflowing with cats, and kittens. There are so many kittens, a lot of "health services" kill them straight away without giving them a chance to be rescued by shelters. Adopting a kitten not only gives it a more comfortable life & more attention, it also saves another life as it opens up a seat in the shelter.

(to the person who said cats from shelters come sick: I am sure shady shelters do exist, but from someone who's been an insider for a decade, absolutely all shelters I know give all the cats/dogs that come in a very detailed health check, and are closely monitored. As soon as something is suspected, they are taken to the vet (it actually lowers medical bills to have them treated before there's anything serious, and they are all have on pet health insurance)

and are very vocal about every single health issues every dog/cat has, and will check again and again if you are willing to deal with it, as they would, more then anything, avoid have you abandon it again. 
On the other hand, pet stores are for profit first, so they do quite the opposite)

also, NEVER EVER BUY FROM PET SHOPS! When big shops, shpping mall sell pets, complain, send written complaints.

Same when you go to "animal cafe", a lot of them are owned by companies that sell animals. THere are a lot of cat, and even dog cafes where all the animals are rescues, and looking for families. Please try them instead!

Awesome that you dropped by in this thread! How is it for foreigners in Japan who want to adopt a pet? Are there any difficulties? Is it more difficult to adopt in Tokyo than somewhere else?

We started discussing this topic because Taylor - a vegan jvlogger - bought a puppy. And she is a serious vegan, I think. I saw a video in which she was very upset that she got served meat instead of her vegan burger (I think it was a burger) and accidentally took a bite from it. She also seems to be quite thoughtful of the environment etc. Which is why I for one was so surprised she bought a puppy instead of adopting one.

I kinda like her and her content. And she seems genuine. But I still... don't get it.

Sorry this took a while. ......I forgot.... Please forgive me!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_zaLymxSYOx6VS8F_GBKOQ  She is a military spouse living in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ3uThdfTsN33nnR34n11ng  This is Le chan.  She lives in Hokkaido

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeavbDncHoMLhTjIu-f-NDA  Some of you might know them already, they are Marshu and Rina. They recently got married.

https://www.youtube.com/talishaish She has twins and lives in Japan

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFSh6wInijpfaJXQZspN_nA He posts traveling videos around Japan and vlogs

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCItfuUvaLa0hSz7PewK4cuw They also post travel videos around Japan and vlogs

Most of them are JET.  A couple of them are not, but they all do have full time jobs.  So they don't post all the time.  Please be kind to them as they are tiny channels and I think only uploading so their friends and family can see what they do.

Anyway, let me know if the links don't work.  They should be ok.  If not, then just copy and paste it to the browser and see if that works.

Nice list, thank you! Recently I prefer smaller channels over the really huge ones. They are more genuine and real, I think. So this list gives me new channels to support!

Edited by Risa

Posted

@Risa you're welcome! I hope you can enjoy their channels.  They try hard to provide content.  

Americans have many options to come to Japan, it's not just JET.  JET is just the easiest . Most Americans are actually military, or tourists.  Students come next.  JET is pretty far down the list.  

As far as being a jvlogger strictly or not in Japan. It would be pretty stupid of someone to quit their job, go to Japan, and hope to make a living strictly on YouTube. It takes years to gain a following.  Heck, even Sharla tried to do that but eventually needed to get a job.  It's quite inconsiderate to expect people to only have YouTube as their job when traveling to Japan for any reason.  

Posted

Awesome that you dropped by in this thread! How is it for foreigners in Japan who want to adopt a pet? Are there any difficulties? Is it more difficult to adopt in Tokyo than somewhere else?

- There are a few shelters that were started by foreigners. As volunteering is a lot more common in Western countries then in Japan (in Western countries it is, in part, rooted and comes from a CHristian background. It is great, I really wish people would be more charitable with their time and energy in Japan, esp all the retired ppl who don't know what to do as work was all they lived for) so there are often Western people volunteering in shelters. All the shelters I know have had adoptions from foreigners.

I am not saying there aren't racist shelters, or just extra cautious because they really value communications, and have you perfectly understand the contract you sign. but just... ask? call with someone who speaks Jpn (always better to offer to pay if they are professionals) and ask if the shelter can offer translation/interpretation, & bluntly ask if they have prejudice against foreigners. Again, racism is a big problem in Jpn, wouldn'T be surprised that it exists in shelters, and that is inacceptable. But a lot of foreigners contacted, asked and adopted! You are in a foreign country? why won't you ask what you don't know?

- I would say it is way easier to adopt in TOkyo! there are a lot more shelters then anywhere else. some shelters accept dogs from other parts of Tokyo where they still have wild dogs, and shelters are overflowing.

Also, I really wished people would know of the foster family system shelters have: you live with a dog/cat/rabbit until they find a family. Great for animals that don't get along with others, want more attention. The shelter take care of the animal if you are away/travelling back home. Depending of the animal, it can take a month to a couple of years to be adopted. Great if you miss living with an animal, want to volunteer but cannot commit long term, or have endless kittens/puppies.

Posted

- There are a few shelters that were started by foreigners. As volunteering is a lot more common in Western countries then in Japan (in Western countries it is, in part, rooted and comes from a CHristian background. It is great, I really wish people would be more charitable with their time and energy in Japan, esp all the retired ppl who don't know what to do as work was all they lived for) so there are often Western people volunteering in shelters. All the shelters I know have had adoptions from foreigners.

I am not saying there aren't racist shelters, or just extra cautious because they really value communications, and have you perfectly understand the contract you sign. but just... ask? call with someone who speaks Jpn (always better to offer to pay if they are professionals) and ask if the shelter can offer translation/interpretation, & bluntly ask if they have prejudice against foreigners. Again, racism is a big problem in Jpn, wouldn'T be surprised that it exists in shelters, and that is inacceptable. But a lot of foreigners contacted, asked and adopted! You are in a foreign country? why won't you ask what you don't know?

- I would say it is way easier to adopt in TOkyo! there are a lot more shelters then anywhere else. some shelters accept dogs from other parts of Tokyo where they still have wild dogs, and shelters are overflowing.

Also, I really wished people would know of the foster family system shelters have: you live with a dog/cat/rabbit until they find a family. Great for animals that don't get along with others, want more attention. The shelter take care of the animal if you are away/travelling back home. Depending of the animal, it can take a month to a couple of years to be adopted. Great if you miss living with an animal, want to volunteer but cannot commit long term, or have endless kittens/puppies.

It's really great to have some in-depth knowledge of how shelters work in Tokyo/Japan from someone who volunteers there. You basically answered a lot of questions people had after Taylor got her puppy.

I've seen some of her videos and she seems nice, but that whole "puppy episode" was a bit suspicious (considering that she lives with her boyfriend who'd have no problem navigating the whole Japanese system.)

Posted

It's also really weird how she was going to adopt a cat first but wasn't allowed to. Why a rescue cat but not a dog.

Posted (edited)

It's also really weird how she was going to adopt a cat first but wasn't allowed to. Why a rescue cat but not a dog.

As someone else said: Especially since cat-proofing an apartment is not that difficult... But well, I guess she really wanted a pet asap. I can't think of any other reasoning for someone like her not to adopt...

Edited by Risa

Posted

Also, in a shelter, you pay less then 10% of the price in pet shops (included: all the vaccination, and medical chek up), it makes 0 sense to buy. If you have money to throw out, donate to shelters please!

also 1) a lot of shelters will provide "pet hotel service" to adopted pets. Yes you have to pay, but in a way better structure then commercial hotels and money is going in a good cause

2) Like I said, pet shops want to make the most money, shelters want to make sure the adoption will work out they will detail all the problems the pet has, future problems that might come up etc. + you have a trial period during which you "cancel" the adoption (they are rare, but the most often is the newbee doesn't get along with the other pets)

3) You are refusing a better life for a rescued pet + with the seat being taken in the shelter, the dogs of the dog pound are likely to be killed before he will be saved, and dog pounds are a very stressful and tough environment for dogs, they would be a lot better off in the shelter + the worst is you are throwing money at an industry that tortures animals for gain. I have many times seen dogs thrown away like trash from pet shop & pet shop suppliers. Dogs who spent their whole life in the dark, never out of cages, who had multiple C sections and have internal organs torn... It still gets me and makes me sob every*single*time

Bottom line is: buying from pet shops very directly fuels & promotes an industry that is straight tortuing animals.

(also ironic how PDR and Mimei called out Taylor and Sharla for being "fake vegans" when they buy cats from pet shops...)

BY the way, what's up with all these Jvloggers buying from pet shops? WTF??

Posted

BY the way, what's up with all these Jvloggers buying from pet shops? WTF??

A baby animal is very often considered cuter and gets them more views. That's the conclusion I came to, even with Taylor's puppy. Which is a shame because a rescue pet is as cute and deserving of love as a younger one.

What really gets me with Taylor is that I wanted to like her and her content but that whole puppy thing got me highly suspicious of her morality.

Posted

I only saw a couple of videos from Rachel & Jun, including the one about the injured cat they rescued. But do they other Western cats come from pet shops?

I remember seeing a Simon and Martina explaining they tried shelters in Korea but couldn't find a cat that would get along with dogs and bought a kitten (questionable, why do all these people don't put more research into this??) but hey, they addressed the issue in depth, were open and honest.

But really to all the vloggers who read here (we know you do!) message me!!! I'll keep quiet, give you all my knowledge about shelters, I can be a consultant & won''t charge, I'll just ask you make a donation to shelters. Think about all the vlog content you could get from adoption!! 

Posted

I only saw a couple of videos from Rachel & Jun, including the one about the injured cat they rescued. But do they other Western cats come from pet shops?

I remember seeing a Simon and Martina explaining they tried shelters in Korea but couldn't find a cat that would get along with dogs and bought a kitten (questionable, why do all these people don't put more research into this??) but hey, they addressed the issue in depth, were open and honest.

But really to all the vloggers who read here (we know you do!) message me!!! I'll keep quiet, give you all my knowledge about shelters, I can be a consultant & won''t charge, I'll just ask you make a donation to shelters. Think about all the vlog content you could get from adoption!! 

Rachel and Jun tried to adopt the first time and ran into roadblocks because the organizations they tried thought they would not keep the cats because they were a young couple (could have kids in future). They ended up buying their first two cars and they lost one due to an illness. 

(linked their video down below on it)

https://youtu.be/p5rUnI7_Aas

Posted (edited)

At this point I would really make a respectful callout towards Micaela. She and Tatsu adopted an old poodle-lady. I just watched their video where they welcomed the new family member. It seems they talked about adopting for a while already (Tatsu was a bit uncertain about getting a second dog, because he would have to leave for work a lot and didn't want to load all the work on Micaela), wanting to adopt older dogs form now on, instead of one young puppy. I found their approach very mature.

As for Taylor B: I think her vegan lifechoice is genuine. I've watched a lot of her videos, and she really seems to be invested in the vegan community in Japan and try to make things as correct as possible. Which is why I was so surprised she shopped a puppy - from a petstore on top of that. If at least she would have driven to the countryside and visited an actual breeder who just has a few dogs (don't know how all of this works in Japan, but I mean... not a puppymill) Her puppy didn't even come vaccinated...she had to wait for her appointment at the vet before she could even take the puppy outside.

Japan's pet industry really doesn't sit well with me :-/

Edit: Something completely unrelated: Have you watched a few fukubukuro videos? Is it just me or are the lucky bags this year pretty mediocre? I watched a lot of them because lots of youtubers I follow got a few, and it's just not really overwhelming... Everyone always says that lucky bags are a good deal. But imo they cost around 100USD and in it there are items one would have never bought for themselves. And the item choice isn't really great either. I think the only lucky bag I liked was the one osharegirl got. But the W♡C and Secret Honey ones were pretty bland. I just honestly don't think it's that good of a deal (or maybe I personally just grew out of them)

Admittedly the lululemon one Taylor B got wasn't bad. And the Cecil McBee one from Kim was pretty decent too (although she got an item she already received two years ago...)

Edited by Risa

Posted

Edit: Something completely unrelated: Have you watched a few fukubukuro videos? Is it just me or are the lucky bags this year pretty mediocre? I watched a lot of them because lots of youtubers I follow got a few, and it's just not really overwhelming... Everyone always says that lucky bags are a good deal. But imo they cost around 100USD and in it there are items one would have never bought for themselves. And the item choice isn't really great either. I think the only lucky bag I liked was the one osharegirl got. But the W♡C and Secret Honey ones were pretty bland. I just honestly don't think it's that good of a deal (or maybe I personally just grew out of them)

Admittedly the lululemon one Taylor B got wasn't bad. And the Cecil McBee one from Kim was pretty decent too (although she got an item she already received two years ago...)

Yeah, I feel like 2019 has been lackluster in the quality of things vloggers got from their fukubukuro? Also, I don't know if its as you said - because I'm over them or something else - but I can't help but think the lack of enthusiasm from vloggers themselves doesn't help in getting excited by their fukubukuro's videos either.

In 2018, there were many bags I really wanted too but this year, seeing the selection of things some of them got, I thought 'Meh, not a great value'.

Posted

I think also the issue with the lucky bag thing is that no one knows enough Japanese to actually read and understand what they are buying.  All these jvloggers are so surprised like they just bought a mystery bag of unknown items from stores they hardly shop at.  Stores announce weeks ahead of time what will be in their bags, there isn't a single store that doesn't say what's in it.  

I went to stores I frequently shop at and love what I got.  I also didn't spend more than $30 per bag.  One of them was even $10.  This year, the jvloggers did a huge disservice to the culture with their ignorance.  

Posted

Rachel and Jun just uploaded a video and...is it just me, or did Rachel get her lips done? 

Before (thrift store video, four months ago)

Screenshot_20190107-145426_YouTube.thumbScreenshot_20190107-145441_YouTube.thumb

Now (health update video posted today)

Screenshot_20190107-145141_YouTube.thumbScreenshot_20190107-145144_YouTube.thumb

Posted

Rachel and June have their own thread